Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

The MLB 2K11 demo is available now. Add it to your download queue right here.

Please play a few games and post your impressions here.

*UPDATE: PS3 demo is available now.

Quote:
"Begin your quest for perfection on the baseball diamond with the Major League Baseball 2K11 demo, available now for download. Play a three inning game with the San Francisco Giants and Texas Rangers at AT&T Park and get an early taste of 2K11’s Revamped Fielding System and improved Total Control Pitching & Hitting. Perfect YOUR game with Major League Baseball 2K11, in stores March 8!"

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 munky1307 @ 03/01/11 08:44 AM
Well I only got to play two innings before I came to work but I'm really impressed with it. Everything felt really natural from fielding to hitting and pitching. I owned MLB 2k10 and played it a ton and this is a definite improvement on that. I know it's easy to nitpick a lot of things but I don't see some of the negatives people are bringing up here.

Observations:
The throw meter is fantastic. The first groundball the cpu hit to me (to the Rangers shortstop), I accidentally went into the red on the throw meter and the ball sailed right past the first baseman into the wall behind him. I've never been so relieved to see an unintentional error (really missed that in last years game). The speed of the meter feels to be a very good speed of being challenging yet not impossible (not sure if there's gonna be a slider for that or not either). I was nervous about the speed of the meter being too easy but I ended up making two errors in the second inning alone. On the flipside though I made a handful of routine throws from groundballs where I nailed it right in the "sweet" spot for perfect throws so there is a balance. (Funny to see after the second error in the same inning, a cutscene of the pitcher starting to look nervous/frustrated wiping sweat from his neck). Nice to feel some pride in making a good throw to get a guy at first and feeling like it was earned, not just handed to me.

Whoever the center fielder is for the Rangers (sorry Ranger fans, I didn't have time to look up names) only has a tiny sliver of a green "sweet" spot on the throw meter where as the third baseman had a nice large area to nail, making throws from third easier (SS mentioned above had an average size green area). Nice to see the diffference between fielders.

Graphics looked better than I expected. Like I said i played 2k10 a lot and I think the demo looks better than the first gameplay video and more crisp than 2k10 (of course i'm sure people will find a jaggie or two to complain about). Might have something to do the with colors Chase mentioned in his preview. Probably not as good as the other game (i've never played, only seen vids), but definitely a step up from last year. Lots of different cutscenes than from 2k10 so I've gotta disagree with earlier comment about graphics and immersion because of cut scenes. I was impressed. I did see a tiny hitch on one or two hits to the framerate but not on every hit. Could just be the demo. We'll find out next week.

Is it perfect? Probably not. Is it fun (or more fun than 2k10)? Absolutely! (i had deja vu of mvp 2005, my all time fav, in just two innings) Like I said people will find the smallest things to complain about but it's a game. If you want absolute realism, than I'm sure there's a spring training game to watch on tv.

Overall, I can't wait to get back home on my lunch break and play a full game(or two or three). Two innings alone showed me that I'm going to be a happy baseball gamer this summer!

# 42 DickDalewood @ 03/01/11 08:49 AM
I definitely like hearing the MVP 05 comparison (my all-time favorite as well).

# 43 WaddupCouzin @ 03/01/11 08:51 AM
I think this game is going to be a more enjoyable version of 2K10. From what I've seen so far, I think they're finally getting a model they can began to build off. This game is not going to be THE SHOW, but I think it can be a good playable game.

# 44 selahsdaddy @ 03/01/11 08:54 AM
You still can pinpoint pitches for the most part....I feel the difference is that pitches on the corners are not always called strikes now. I literally was placing every pitch with Lincecum where I wanted it to go....

# 45 DickDalewood @ 03/01/11 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by selahsdaddy
You still can pinpoint pitches for the most part....I feel the difference is that pitches on the corners are not always called strikes now. I literally was placing every pitch with Lincecum where I wanted it to go....
I guess the demo is set on Pro though correct? So could it possibly be a result of that?

# 46 roadman @ 03/01/11 09:00 AM
Quote:
And maybe with Lincecum that's true, but maybe when you get to your 3, 4 and 5 rotation pitchers, that might not be true. Also, it's only 3 inning demo, maybe by the 7th inning he starts missing his pitches?

# 47 jeffy777 @ 03/01/11 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
I guess the demo is set on Pro though correct? So could it possibly be a result of that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
And maybe with Lincecum that's true, but maybe when you get to your 3, 4 and 5 rotation pitchers, that might not be true. Also, it's only 3 inning demo, maybe by the 7th inning he starts missing his pitches?
Plus, keep in mind there's a Pitch Accuracy slider in the full version.

# 48 DaveDQ @ 03/01/11 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
Hitting feels smooth but not where it should be. I hate the throws when fielding. It feels like there is no weight to the ball or players, they just kind of float out there and on one occasion, I bunted with Timmy to move the runner from first to second and the bunt went in front of the mound and the pitcher (Wilson) grabbed it and threw a rocket to first to get me out but if felt like he threw a plastic wiffle ball. There is just no weight to throwing as a fielder
That's a good point about fielding. It feels like it's one step. The ball arrives and it's off to where you throw it with little weight to it.

I'm actually concerned about the framerate. This issue with the ball leaving the bat has been with 2K for a while. I hit a fly ball to the outfield and a big chunk of screen fluttered. Especially with foul balls, you can literally see the screen moving in pieces. Again, that is something 2K has always struggled with so actually seeing it fixed will be surprising to me. Maybe they'll tone it down some.

# 49 15 Step @ 03/01/11 09:09 AM
I played 5 games this morning. It does seem like more of an updated version of 2k10 than what I was expecting. The hitting camera is pretty fun to watch, but it can make fly balls in the outfield difficult to judge, which is perhaps the point of it. I don't notice any serious framerate problems other than with foul balls, so it's not really a big deal. Also, it's good to see more foul balls in general. There seems to be a lot more variety in the hitting.

One problem I noticed was that in one of the games I played (and mysteriously this problem wasn't in the other four I played), there was a problem with the pitching system. After I picked my pitch but before I could throw it, there was a little delay that caused me to throw each pitch improperly. For example, the basic fastball is just down and then up on the right joystick, which is simple enough. During this game, I would press A to pick fastball, and then I would press down and then up, only it wouldn't register the "down" part of the joystick movement so it only picked up me pushing up with the joystick, which obviously caused me to throw a poor-quality fastball. Anybody else have this problem?

# 50 boomhauertjs @ 03/01/11 09:09 AM
MVP 05 and High Heat comparisons? If the fielding is similar to MVP 05, then I may be sold on it. Must resist temptation to take a 1/2 hour off of work and play the demo...must wait until end of the day...

# 51 bluengold34_OS @ 03/01/11 09:12 AM
Well I can tell the difference already. I have only played 3 games, but things have moved in the right direction. I played 80 games in franchise last year on 360 and still have 2k10 on my pc.

1. It's pretty evident that if the difficulty level was higher, placing your pitch would not be as simple.

2. I love the hitting cam, and how it truly shows the play in real time after the ball is hit.

3. The fielding feels much smoother to me, and the OF circle was not overdone for outfielders based off of their ability( I was scared it would be)

4. The only time I saw any type of framedrop was a pop up straight behind the plate, and it was minimal(assuming this will not be an issue in the final build)

I am pretty pleased with the improvements so far, and am sure will be even more so when the retail version hits next week. This is not to say the game is perfect, as I still saw infielders sprinting back to their position and some overall little quirks in the players motions.

****For those who are seeing a delay when pitching****

You have to let him come to a complete stop in his stretch. If your pitcher is in a stretch, let his glove come to a complete stop, then start your motion, and you should see no delay at all.

# 52 WaddupCouzin @ 03/01/11 09:13 AM
Quote:
Dude, Tim Lincecum is one of the best pitchers in the game, you should be able to do that with him! You shouldn't be able to do that with their 4th or 5th starter.

# 53 jeffy777 @ 03/01/11 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Well I can tell the difference already. I have only played 3 games, but things have moved in the right direction. I played 80 games in franchise last year on 360 and still have 2k10 on my pc.

1. It's pretty evident that if the difficulty level was higher, placing your pitch would not be as simple.

2. I love the hitting cam, and how it truly shows the play in real time after the ball is hit.

3. The fielding feels much smoother to me, and the OF circle was not overdone for outfielders based off of their ability( I was scared it would be)

4. The only time I saw any type of framedrop was a pop up straight behind the plate, and it was minimal(assuming this will not be an issue in the final build)

I am pretty pleased with the improvements so far, and am sure will be even more so when the retail version hits next week. This is not to say the game is perfect, as I still saw infielders sprinting back to their position and some overall little quirks in the players motions.
Thanks man, I value your opinion. I like what I'm hearing about the gameplay.

It's good to hear that the framerate drop is rare and only on fouls. It doesn't really sound like a big issue.

# 54 15 Step @ 03/01/11 09:19 AM
Quote:

You have to let him come to a complete stop in his stretch. If your pitcher is in a stretch, let his glove come to a complete stop, then start your motion, and you should see no delay at all.
Okay, thanks. I'll try that out later.

# 55 krazak @ 03/01/11 09:27 AM
I hear people complain/compliment about things like the catcher throwing back to the pitcher, the pitcher walking around the mound, batters stepping out, etc... I'm just curious how many people actually leave that stuff turned on. Personally i just want to play the game. I always turn on the hurry up mode. I don't want a 9 inning game to take 2+ hours (or even an hour for that matter). To me that's what makes High Heat one the best baseball games ever. You could play a whole game in 20 minutes! If the pitcher/batter interface is good, there is realism (injuries, errors, etc...) and fielding is good i'm happy.

# 56 Flaxseed Oil @ 03/01/11 09:29 AM
I gotta say, I thought it felt great.

Positive:
  • The new cameras for both offense and defense are welcome!
  • The pitching still is the king of analog controls. And I am usually a Show fanboy, but I have to admit, 2K owns the analog system.
  • The player faces and models look VASTLY improved. Barry Zito looks perfect, right down to his broad shoulders. Buster Posey looked perfect as well. The only player I felt was 'off' was Josh Hamilton, who seemed a bit too skinny.
  • The lighting, the graphics, the sound...all improved.
  • Variable umpire was very noticeable and welcome.
  • The broadcast angle was dead on!
Negative:
  • I saw two botched plays in 3 innings.
  • The default pitch speed is agonizingly slow and un-realistic.
  • Can't change any settings
  • The Ball Trail is still on by default.

# 57 DickDalewood @ 03/01/11 09:30 AM
Quote:

Awesome, thanks Bob. Hopefully this puppy is up to par on the PS3 as well.

# 58 Sheldon27 @ 03/01/11 09:38 AM
It would be awesome if someone could post a video with their impressions on the demo, I really want to see how it is, but my region doesn't allow me to download it(I'm in Brazil)

# 59 DaveDQ @ 03/01/11 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazak
I hear people complain/compliment about things like the catcher throwing back to the pitcher, the pitcher walking around the mound, batters stepping out, etc... I'm just curious how many people actually leave that stuff turned on. Personally i just want to play the game. I always turn on the hurry up mode. I don't want a 9 inning game to take 2+ hours (or even an hour for that matter). To me that's what makes High Heat one the best baseball games ever. You could play a whole game in 20 minutes! If the pitcher/batter interface is good, there is realism (injuries, errors, etc...) and fielding is good i'm happy.
I'm the other extreme. I like the game to have emotion and soul. I'm glad they added things like the pitcher being flustered and working that into his mound behavior. When you have all of these things working together, the commentary, the crowd, the players' reactions, it makes for an exciting experience.

# 60 jeffy777 @ 03/01/11 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxseed Oil
I gotta say, I thought it felt great.

Positive:
  • The new cameras for both offense and defense are welcome!
  • The pitching still is the king of analog controls. And I am usually a Show fanboy, but I have to admit, 2K owns the analog system.
  • The player faces and models look VASTLY improved. Barry Zito looks perfect, right down to his broad shoulders. Buster Posey looked perfect as well. The only player I felt was 'off' was Josh Hamilton, who seemed a bit too skinny.
  • The lighting, the graphics, the sound...all improved.
  • Variable umpire was very noticeable and welcome.
  • The broadcast angle was dead on!
Negative:
  • I saw two botched plays in 3 innings.
  • The default pitch speed is agonizingly slow and un-realistic.
  • Can't change any settings
  • The Ball Trail is still on by default.
Thanks man, that's good to hear.

Sounds like all the negatives can be fixed with settings and sliders.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.