Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

The MLB 2K11 demo is available now. Add it to your download queue right here.

Please play a few games and post your impressions here.

*UPDATE: PS3 demo is available now.

Quote:
"Begin your quest for perfection on the baseball diamond with the Major League Baseball 2K11 demo, available now for download. Play a three inning game with the San Francisco Giants and Texas Rangers at AT&T Park and get an early taste of 2K11’s Revamped Fielding System and improved Total Control Pitching & Hitting. Perfect YOUR game with Major League Baseball 2K11, in stores March 8!"

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 School Yard Pro @ 03/01/11 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeixeiraFanatic
I just found a big bug. I haven't looked through the entire thread so someone might have already said it.

Anyway. First inning as the Rangers. They get two quick outs. Hamilton hits a homerun over the right field wall then Cruz follows that with a triple. Adrian Beltre up. He hits one deep into centerfield. I see the fans 6 rows back stand up. Andres Torres goes through the wall and catches it but it counts as a homerun and an out. So I'm up 3-0 going into the bottom of the first having only got out twice.

I just had Sandoval catch a pop up with his bare hands

# 162 School Yard Pro @ 03/01/11 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
I just noticed you can turn switch to Classic controls for hitting and pitching (buttons) if you go to the Controller Setup in the menu (pause, then flick the right stick to bring it up).

It would be nice to have that option online.
Also there should be a penalty for those constantly rage quit out of games.

# 163 noda11 @ 03/01/11 04:43 PM
After not buying a baseball video game in the past 3 or 4 years I must say that I am pleased with 2k's game. I played the show demo yesterday and after playing 2k's today i would say that 2k isnt far away from being on the same level as the show. That said here are a few pluses and minuses with 2k11

Pluses
+ball coming off the bat felt good
+fielding feels very organic, no weird sliding motions
+sky and field look great

Negatives
-after the ball is hit I found it hard to see where the ball was. Especially pop ups and fly balls.
-shadows are too dark pixely. I know that's a minor gripe but I expected better.

After seriously considering selling all of my 360 stuff to get a ps3 and the show I will now be reconsidering. 2k has closed the gap, thats for sure.

# 164 jeffy777 @ 03/01/11 04:47 PM
Man, I can't get over how good this variable strike zone feels. So much better for working the count, and it certainly makes pitching more challenging as well.

Just beat out a chopper with Andrus. That felt great as well

# 165 Tully @ 03/01/11 04:49 PM
Only have one thing to say after playing this. Its hard to understand how a company who made arguably one of if not the best sports game ever in NBA2k11 can put this out. I know it is another development team but I don't see how they get away with it every season for baseball.

# 166 DirtyJerz32 @ 03/01/11 04:53 PM
I'm really liking all the negative comments from some people. Not giving an impression of what you thought of the game, but just having negative comments.

Anyway, I can't wait to get home tonight and play again. Hopefully the PS3 demo will be out by that time so I can play both. Either way I'll be picking this up. Can't wait to play MLB Today again. I loved that feature last year even though the gameplay had some issues.

# 167 Eski33 @ 03/01/11 04:58 PM
Not a fan. Nothing has changed. The pitching mechanic is ludicrous, the hitting is terrible (what is the point of using the RS when you can just hold back then push forward as the ball comes in?). I saw instances where the OF would field a routine single then hold the ball. While attempting to take another base to see if the OF would throw the ball into the IF, the screen goes black and my next hitter walks to the plate?

Not to mention that my base runners run on fly balls with less than two outs. Just basic baseball logic is not implemented properly. I understand it is only a demo but 2K should realize the demo is a tool to try and sell the game. All it did was ruin any chance that I would make a purchase.

All of the items I have read with improved visuals. Yeah, not seeing it. The lighting is still way off and why is the scenery outside the stadium so blurry? I understand it is to create depth perception but wow.

The presentation was decent but why use the same music as NBA 2K11? How about something original? MLB 2K7 was the best 2K game for the current generation of consoles. Not sure what happened....

# 168 pdawg17 @ 03/01/11 05:07 PM
Is there a way to change difficulty or something? I've seen a handful of posts saying it is tougher to pitch yet with Sanchez (who has below average control at best) I had 19 out of 19 pitches for strikes...and this was trying to paint the edges - not just throwing down the middle...and the few pitches that were slightly outside the zone were swung at by the CPU - no patience at all...

Those of you that have walked people: Do you follow the catcher's choice 100% of the time? If so I could see a walk or two occurring only because they ask for pitches outside of the zone sometimes...otherwise I don't see how it happens...

# 169 emath @ 03/01/11 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noda11

After seriously considering selling all of my 360 stuff to get a ps3 and the show I will now be reconsidering. 2k has closed the gap, thats for sure.

Well, I will be playing the demo later tonight (PS3) when it is released. My feeling on your comment is, get the PS3, and you can have both as an option.

I already have the Show on pre order (it's a forgone conclusion for me), but if the demo of 2k11 is as good as everyone is saying (okay, as I read more, I see the demo isn't THAT great, but I will still give it a spin tonight), and the first couple of weeks reviews (of the actual game) don't expose all the BS that a 2k game usually has, I may end up going out and getting it by the end of March as well.

# 170 SoxFan01605 @ 03/01/11 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
Anyone who thinks the pitching is still to accurate, try pitching with Barry Zito...wow....I'm all over the place with him and did walk one guy so far.

I also thought it was nice how it told me that Torrealba is a bad matchup vs. Zito, so that was a confidence booster
Ha...I was just going to post that in my little review (almost word for word). I didn't notice it my first couple of games, but with Zito I was a mess.

As for my early thoughts (kinda long-go figure):

Spoiler

# 171 School Yard Pro @ 03/01/11 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tully
Only have one thing to say after playing this. Its hard to understand how a company who made arguably one of if not the best sports game ever in NBA2k11 can put this out. I know it is another development team but I don't see how they get away with it every season for baseball.

I agree. With the standard being set with MLB The Show I figured 2k would set the bar pretty high with this year's release. Yes, there have been improvements across the board, but visually and technically it still pales in comparison (which is ridiculous to me)

I'll still purchase 2k11 and will have tons of fun with it. I quite enjoyed 2k10. Its just that I expected better.

# 172 CM Hooe @ 03/01/11 05:25 PM
I played one game in the demo just now. Bear in mind with my impressions that I haven't played a baseball game in years; only one I've ever owned is Major League Baseball for the Sega Game Gear, lol.

I thoroughly enjoy the pitching mechanic, and I found it reasonably challenging. Using Sanchez of the Giants, in three innings I allowed four hits and one run. I did get better as the game went on, the top of the order for the Rangers had me concerned in the first inning, getting three of the hits and with Nelson Cruz getting an RBI double.

I didn't quite get the hang of the fielding, though I see what the idea is. I played the throwing meter quite conservatively most of the time, which resulted in some lazy throws. Playing around with it, I did get it into the red one time on a play at first from a grounder fielded by the pitcher in the infield, and the first baseman had to go up high for it; still got the out though.

On the AI's side of the fielding, I did see them throw one error on a play at first, where the first baseman had to come off the bag to get a ball and as a result I reached base safely on an error.

The one thing that has always frustrated me with baseball games, however, is that I can't hit the ball to save my life. I'm not overly familiar with the game, and as such I struggle to identify pitches and end up swinging wildly at everything. I ask to those more familiar with the MLB2K games, does the full game typically include a batting tutorial or assist feature? Is there a way where I could just have the computer handle the batting altogether? I think I would enjoy the full game just with the pitching, fielding, and franchise mode portions (assuming 2K has a good franchise mode for this game, I'll need to look into that), but if I can't ever score a run let alone get on base that would obviously limit the appeal of the game to me, lol.

I did enjoy my time with the demo though. I'd say that it's easily better than the Game Gear game I played fifteen years ago, lol.

# 173 ChaseB @ 03/01/11 05:41 PM
I've seen a couple people mention the floaty or not-impactful-enough fastballs, and I would agree, but isn't it weird that the fastballs look so good and have zip coming in while hitting, but just don't have the same "oomph" when pitching? I would chalk it up to just the camera angle, but I don't know if that is the only factor.

# 174 SoxFan01605 @ 03/01/11 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I've seen a couple people mention the floaty or not-impactful-enough fastballs, and I would agree, but isn't it weird that the fastballs look so good and have zip coming in while hitting, but just don't have the same "oomph" when pitching? I would chalk it up to just the camera angle, but I don't know if that is the only factor.
Yeah, it's odd. I'm sure that camera angle plays a role (pitches seem to have a bit more zip from the hitters perspective in the other game as well). I'm just not sure why it's always been so extreme here though.

# 175 breakitdown @ 03/01/11 05:52 PM
Pitching I don't mind, the batting is terrible. Its just a real poor game all-round

# 176 RoyalBoyle78 @ 03/01/11 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Sometimes they have it set at different speeds for pitching and hitting.
Agree, I usally set pith speed higher.

# 177 DickDalewood @ 03/01/11 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakitdown
Pitching I don't mind, the batting is terrible. Its just a real poor game all-round
Tell us how you really feel

# 178 GrandMaster B @ 03/01/11 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noda11
Negatives
-after the ball is hit I found it hard to see where the ball was. Especially pop ups and fly balls.
I also noticed this. Surprised this was the first time mentioned.

# 179 sroz39 @ 03/01/11 06:04 PM
Played two more games before work. Couple of things to add:

- through 5 games, been able to draw 6 walks. This is encouraging on default Pro difficulty. The last walk was my favourite, it was a four pitch walk on Sandoval with runners on 1st and 2nd and two away. I was thinking "if the A.I. is up to snuff, I will get nothing to hit". Sure enough, Webb tried to nibble the whole at-bat. Good to see.

- don't like that at times, on flyballs, the camera loses track of the player I'm controlling. It's only for a split second but it's distracting. Will reserve judgement till the final build.

- saw a great at bat when I was pitching with Sanchez to an A.I. Hamilton. Catcher kept calling for the Slurve down and away. First two pitches were borderline, A.I. took the first one and was way ahead of the second one as he swung and missed. Third pitch was a fastball high and out of the zone, Hamilton took. Fourth pitch, catcher called for the slurve again, same spot. Hamilton adjusted, waited till the ball got deeper in the zone and went the other way with it for a double in the corner. I got pwned but it played out great

One final thought, as I've been thinking about where this game might be going through next year and beyond. Many, including myself, have compared the demo to MVP 2005 and after thinking about this a little longer, this seems to resemble MVP 2004 more. I'm not even going to hold MLB 2K9 against the devs as they got the game dumped on them mid-cycle, but I find 2K10 to be like MVP 2003, where they lay the foundation for a bunch of their ideas. This year's game went in the direction of a lot of fine-tuning of those ideas which made for an enjoyable, if still flawed in spots, kind of game.

I think 2K12 will be the "MVP 2005" for this series, where they flesh everything out, re-build Franchise mode, and everything comes together. Will it be perfect? Well no, because neither was MVP 2005. But thinking back, the similarities are uncanny. MVP 2003 and MLB 2K10, I played and enjoyed both but ultimately went back to play a different baseball game (The Show and WSB 2K3 respectively). I feel like with this year's games, it'll be more of a 50/50 split between the two, similar to me splitting my baseball playing between MVP 2004 and ESPN Baseball. And next year? I'm not going to make any bold predictions here, mainly because I don't see The Show suffering the same collapse that befell MLB 2K5 and I love playing The Show more than any other sports game. But I will say that this series' best days are ahead of them and kudos to the devs on a very promising demo.

# 180 loloben @ 03/01/11 06:10 PM
Here are my Impressions
Pros
Pitching is good. I.e, I threw a slider with Brandon Webb, and it was very realistic. I could tell it was a perfect slider.
Fielding is much better. The fielding meter is great and when you throw in the red, the ball can go over the 1st baseman's head.
When I was playing, I heard the fans cheering.
It looks exactly like AT&T Park.
The hitting was also good. Seeing Josh Hamilton crush a fastball out of the park looked awesome.
Good Player Models
Cons
I have a little trouble timing the swings
The fielding meter doesn't leave room for error (Could be a pro for some or a con for others)
The animations are still relatively robotic.
A decent amount of floating pitches and pop-ups.
No Commentary!
Overall, this looks good.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.