# 141 etched Chaos @ 03/02/11 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNes12
So let's use WHIP -

Whoa, looks like Hamels has a lower WHIP than Hudson every year

..And a lower opposing AVG

..And a much higher K/9 IP

Pretty comparable ERA, though..
Cole also has a far superior K:BB ratio.

# 142 Dog @ 03/02/11 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by etched Chaos
Cole also has a far superior K:BB ratio.

Indeed

# 143 DieHardYankee26 @ 03/02/11 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNes12
So let's use WHIP -

Whoa, looks like Hamels has a lower WHIP than Hudson every year

..And a lower opposing AVG

..And a much higher K/9 IP

Pretty comparable ERA, though..
Those graphs are showing me that Cole Hamels was higher in both WHIP and opposing batting average last year.

# 144 Dog @ 03/02/11 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
Those graphs are showing me that Cole Hamels was higher in both WHIP and opposing batting average last year.
One year out of how many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd369
There is no defense, you cant use just one stat to prove how good a player is. You stopped counting at 14 in a braves vs. phillies comparison so you could leave out the 15th and 18th pitcher, both braves. Halladay and Lee along with a couple others are in their own world, we cant even compare regluar players to them they are just too good. Regardless WHIP alone will not win any argument on who is an ace and who is not.
I wasn't comparing Phillies to Braves, I was stating that 4 pitchers in the top 14 pretty much means those are 4 pretty damn good pitchers. And as for your ace vs not ace, see my above posts and re-think your stance on Hamels vs Hudson

# 145 Dog @ 03/02/11 02:21 PM
And for the record, I'm not a Braves ***** by any means. I have them ranked #4 overall, right behind the Phillies

# 146 Dog @ 03/02/11 02:33 PM
Quote:
I can cherry pick stats to make the person I like better as well, it dont mean a thing.

Hudson beats Hamels in HR/9, AVG, BABIP, LOB %, and ERA. I should really compare Hanson to Hamels, but I dont have time right now. Hudson is better than Hamels hands down. You have to look at ALL stats to prove what you have to say not just the ones your player is better in.
Okay

ERA: Push

K/9: Hamels

BB/9: Hamels

K/BB: Hamels

HR/9: Hudson

AVG: Hamels

WHIP: Hamels

LOB%: Hudson

Looks like it is advantage: Hamels to me for these graphs

# 147 etched Chaos @ 03/02/11 02:44 PM
Quote:
I can cherry pick stats to make the person I like better as well, it dont mean a thing.

Hudson beats Hamels in HR/9, AVG, BABIP, LOB %, and ERA. I should really compare Hanson to Hamels, but I dont have time right now. Hudson is better than Hamels hands down. You have to look at ALL stats to prove what you have to say not just the ones your player is better in.
You listed BABIP and you're moaning about cherrypicking. BABIP isn't a stat to determine a pitcher's ability, its more akin to how well the Defense works behind them and the luck of the bounce. Its also not a hugely important stat to compare players by.

Anyways seeing as you think Hudson is better lets really comnpare them.

ERA: Cole - 3.03 Tim - 2.83
SO: Cole - 209 Tim - 139
Hits: Cole - 185 Tim - 189
BB: Cole - 61 Tim - 74
IP: Cole - 208.2 Tim - 228.2
ERA+: Cole - 132 Tim - 138
WHIP: Cole - 1.179 Tim - 1.150
H/9: Cole - 8.0 Tim - 7.4
HR/9: Cole - 1.1 Tim - 0.8
BB/9: Cole - 2.6 Tim - 2.9
K:BB: Cole - 3.46 Tim - 1.88
WAR: Cole - 4.7 Tim - 5.4

Tim wins for totals. So he edges it, but with Cole's age and the inconsistency of Hudson for the last few years. I'd say Cole would be the better pitcher for 2011 and beyond. After all both had letdowns in 09 but Cole was by far the superior pitcher and has been for every year in the majors bar last year.

# 148 Jgainsey @ 03/02/11 02:44 PM
As much as I hate the Phillies, and Hamel's stupid, douchey, I'm stuck in the 90's hair cut, the guy is probably a better pitcher than Hudson. Especially at this point in Huddy's career.

# 149 juicer420 @ 03/02/11 02:46 PM
Really, Hamels an ace? Maybe in 2008, but he has been inconsistent at best since then. Oswalt was an ace, but he isn't quite the same pitcher he was a few years ago.

I think age is catching up to the Phillies quickly. We should just start calling them the "Over the Hill Gang"!

# 150 Dog @ 03/02/11 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgainsey
As much as I hate the Phillies, and Hamel's stupid, douchey, I'm stuck in the 90's hair cut, the guy is probably a better pitcher than Hudson. Especially at this point in Huddy's career.
Don't forget he sounds like a 12 year old girl

# 151 berenjena @ 03/02/11 03:08 PM
As a yankee fan I'm use to all the hating towards our team, but I didn't notice how hated the Phillies were around baseball too.

some of the hating and arguments that some fans set up are straight up ridiculous

Cole Hamels could be an ace in tons of teams!

Guys remember to first be a baseball fan... then your favorite team fan.

# 152 smearz @ 03/02/11 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicer420
Really, Hamels an ace? Maybe in 2008, but he has been inconsistent at best since then. Oswalt was an ace, but he isn't quite the same pitcher he was a few years ago.

I think age is catching up to the Phillies quickly. We should just start calling them the "Over the Hill Gang"!
Man, this is just wrong too.
Oswalt was 7-1 with a 1.65 ERA in meaningful games with the Phillies last year. That's not just ace, but ridiculous.

# 153 Raskal @ 03/02/11 03:22 PM
Oswalt is clearly not very good in relief though and that may of had some effect on his ratings. See Game 5 NLCS.

# 154 Dogslax41 @ 03/02/11 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by berenjena
As a yankee fan I'm use to all the hating towards our team, but I didn't notice how hated the Phillies were around baseball too.

some of the hating and arguments that some fans set up are straight up ridiculous

Cole Hamels could be an ace in tons of teams!

Guys remember to first be a baseball fan... then your favorite team fan.
I still think Hamels could only be the "Ace" on a team that would struggle. He has great stats but I still don't think he has developed the intangibles required of a true ace.

He doesn't go deep enough into games 6.3 and isn't the true shut down hammer that you want out of your ace (I say this despite sitting in Great American last year and watching him dismantle the Reds).
Is he capable of it, yes, but he has struggled with inconsistency. Thats why I think he is one of the best #2s in the game but I still have a tough time accepting him being referred to as an ace.

# 155 etched Chaos @ 03/02/11 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal
Oswalt is clearly not very good in relief though and that may of had some effect on his ratings. See Game 5 NLCS.
WTF!? He's a starter, one inning in relief would have zero influence on his rating.

# 156 rockchisler @ 03/02/11 04:14 PM
I'm more interested when the Opening day rosters come out, As a Tiger fan Ill take 6th but when the updated rosters drop they probably will be more of a 9 or 10.

# 157 MN Puckett @ 03/02/11 08:57 PM
How are the twins 17th in this ranking? They are almost returning their entire 2010 central championship team. Nathan will be pitching again and hopefully Morneau will be back playing first. I know their missing two relievers but they are almost a sure thing to be in the top 10 in the MLB by the end of the season.

# 158 kr49erfan @ 03/02/11 10:21 PM
Gotta love Philly fans, nothing like them.

Glad to see my Giants ranked number 3. Beat Braves, Phillies, and Rangers not in 1 game but in a full series. This is not football were u can get lucky on any even game. In baseball the best team must clearly win.

No doubt the surprise rating is the twins, they should atleast be below 15. On the other hand, Dodger above Reds?!?!? Really? Maybe I am just bias.

# 159 etched Chaos @ 03/02/11 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr49erfan
Gotta love Philly fans, nothing like them.

Glad to see my Giants ranked number 3. Beat Braves, Phillies, and Rangers not in 1 game but in a full series. This is not football were u can get lucky on any even game. In baseball the best team must clearly win.

No doubt the surprise rating is the twins, they should atleast be below 15. On the other hand, Dodger above Reds?!?!? Really? Maybe I am just bias.
Uh, I think you got that mixed up. Baseball is a game where being hot counts. The best record from season to season barely beats .600, Football you have multiple teams with records better than .600.

# 160 Dog @ 03/02/11 10:39 PM
So it only takes a 7 game series to determine if a team is better than the other one or not? LOL!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.