Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

Just FYI:

Analog Hitting
There is a contact and power bonus/penalty for your stride timing (when you pull back). To practice, you can turn the PCI on. When you stride perfectly (about when the ball is released), the PCI grows slightly to reflect the bonus. When your stride is off it'll shrink, and if you simply stride before the windup the maximum penalty applies.

Your swing timing (when you push forward) is still the most important, but having both timings matter makes it harder to time your swing and may also change your swing strategy. If your stride timing is bad enough (and high enough priority to mention), the swing analysis will show it.

Analog Pitching
As always, pitcher ability and pitch type affect the difficulty of locating pitches. The perfect release timing varies for each pitcher and between the windup and stretch deliveries.

As detailed in the strategy guide, you can always see your release timing in the pitcher/batter analysis tool (press select and then L1/R1). Switch to the 'Meter Timing' filter and each pitch will be labeled with its release timing.

In online games, your opponent doesn't see your meter. In local 2P games on one machine, the meter doesn't show the left/right result.

Heading out of town now, have fun!

Update
The perfect stride timing is based on time to plate, so for example knuckleballs and changeups have different stride timing. The PCI's bonus/penalty size change is not immediate but stretched over time.

Analog hitting has the power/contact/normal swing functionality. The in-game strategy guide goes into detail on the differences between these three.

When the batter doesn't swing, you get pitch info instead of swing analysis. The release timing text is for the pitcher's pitch release and not the batter. So in single player, it's telling you the CPU's timing on the meter. It works in 2P as well.

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Visionsofmastery @ 03/06/11 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
You don't have to guess the release timing because it's disabled when the batter guesses pitch correctly. In other words, it becomes like classic pitching in order to prevent the pitcher from breaking the guess pitch result. There is no pitch meter both visually and functionally. Guess pitch can't work without this.
Okay so lets say we have Manny Ramirez at the plate and I throw him I pre aim for the outside corner and the guy hitting with Manny guesses fastball, I don't have to worry about timing my release to hit my designed area? where I was throwing to if he guesses correctly? In years past you had to guess the release point in this situation so hitters would guess nothing but fastball so you had to throw breaking pitches and your second pitch aka slider or fastball until you made them frustrated enough of not getting fastballs then they guessed down the middle low zone which unless you put it on the border-line the ball would go to the middle of the plate and light up the zone.

Hitting in real baseball based on guessing only has to do with the hitters stride used mostly with no strike counts and hitters counts when the % pitch is usually a fastball , striding based on what he is looking for , most hitters now are taught to look for something 1 ball away from his power zone and moving into his zone on hitters counts and slightly moving away in pitchers even counts. This is why hitters like Albert , Manny , Ted Williams until ahead in the count looked slider because you can adjust from 84-88MPH to 82- 78 breaking stuff rather than trying to hit a 95 MPH fastball and adjust to a 78 MPH change.

I will see how the new guess pitch works and give feedback if its right or not but anytime you don't allow a player to make his pitch because someone guesses that could be a huge problem. You can guess Strausberg fastball all you want if you don't see enough pitches and time it before trying to attack he is going to blow you away lol

# 42 shipityo @ 03/11/11 07:08 PM
I've read over some of this thread. Just signed up here but I've played MLB 09 and MLB '10 pretty avidly. Bought MLB 11 the day it was released. When playing MLB 09 / 10 I always played on legend with pitching and hitting. I did really well with the PCI. My general strategy was to guess fastball most of the time and react to off speed pitches. I did REALLY well even when I guessed wrong most of the time (I was using default 1/4 for pitch guessing). However, on MLB 11 it seems like hitting has now become impossible. Everything I hit is always a weak ground ball or "just missed" foul ball. Even pitches that seem like I square up perfectly aren't going ANYWHERE. Not to mention if I guess a pitch and I'm wrong, hitting the pitch is nearly impossible.

Anyways I'm really struggling with hitting in MLB '11 after having so much success in previous versions. Did they just make it to where hitting is like 10x more difficult? For what its worth, I tried analog and had decent success, but i'm pretty bad at the whole timing thing. I kinda want to stick with PCI zone controls b/c I've used them for SO long, but if I cant even hit the ball then I might have to go to analog. Any tips or info on this would be much appreciated.

# 43 Pared @ 03/12/11 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionsofmastery
but how about the JEDI control issue. The feature I am talking about is if the hitter guesses fastball the pitcher online loses his control of the pitch and has to guess the release point? is that finally fixed.

This was the only turn off I ever had for the show, as in baseball you can guess fastball all you want I still get my chance as a pitcher to place it where I want
Turn off Feedback. I had this same issue and I asked Brian to implement this way on purpose, thus the No feedback setting.

You used to lose control of your meter as a pitcher as well with No Feedback. This was no longer the case last year.

If you want to play with feedback on, then this is the penalty/reward you have to deal with. Guess pitch with feedback is more a video game feature than a representation of real baseball. No Feedback is where it is at.

Thanks again for putting that in Brian. It's the only way to play the game online/head to head IMO.

# 44 raneman85 @ 03/12/11 10:21 AM
Analog pitching? Loving it sometimes the right stick locks down and it won't go up . At times when it locks it 's directly in the zone (on the line) and it's a strike. Most often it's in the dirt. Is this a mechanical/me problem or a glitch. What am I doing incorrectly?

# 45 Luke466 @ 04/20/11 05:52 PM
Here's a couple things that helped me and I was TERRIBLE at hitting. I got these from the forums right here.

Always take the first pitch. If it's a strike, he'll likely throw a junk ball away (or at least expect this). If it's a ball, he likely throw a strike to stay in the count (again, expect this). I rather guess location than type of pitch and this works for me. When I use to think fastball and saw a fastball coming, I'd get excited and swing away - BAD MOVE.

I don't use the strike zone / pci. I have Guess Pitch on but only use it when I'm down in the count. Wide setting for batter.
..my 2 cents

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.