Home
Tiger 12 News Post

The Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters demo is available now for the Xbox 360.

UPDATE: The PS3 demo will not arrive until tomorrow at 6:00 PM EST.

UPDATE #2: Contrary to what the facebook page states, the demo is now available on the PS3. Enjoy.

Please post your impressions here.

Quote:
"The long awaited Augusta National Golf Club is now available in the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 12: The Masters demo on Xbox® 360 and PlayStation® 3! Approach the tee box of the famous closing hole during the tournament’s final round in your quest to become the Masters champion and don the Green Jacket. In the “Play Now” setting, live that **** moment and have the first opportunity to play Augusta National’s par-4 18th.

See the distinct Masters experience and hear the iconic voice of long-time Masters announcer, Jim Nantz, throughout the demo. Nantz sets the stage as Tiger Woods charges up the leaderboard in chase of his fifth Green Jacket. Take control of Tiger Woods on the final hole and attempt to be crowned Masters champion, while the all-new commentary team of Nantz, and the always entertaining David Feherty, call the action.

In “Road to the Masters” mode, play holes 1-5 at TPC San Antonio Oaks Course - an all-new course to the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR franchise. Complete the five holes in the demo and jumpstart your career in the full retail version* by bypassing the EA SPORTS™ Amateur Tour and proceeding straight to the Nationwide Tour.

The PlayStation 3 version of the demo will support the PlayStation Move controller to fully replicate an authentic golf swing. Looking for an even more immersive golf interaction? The demo can also be played in True View mode – a first-person vantage point that is new to the PlayStation 3 with the Move controller. Additional information about the Masters Tournament, the all-new career mode, Caddie/Course Mastery, new golfers and courses, and a host of other new features are detailed in the demo. Share the demo with friends to earn additional experience points (XP)."

Source - Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters Blog

Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The MastersReader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters Videos
Member Comments
# 101 DivotMaker @ 03/13/11 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcguire
playing with the move...any recommendations for the camera setup I have my TV in my entertainment center, then the camera on top of the entertainment center....all of my drives seem to go left even when the club head is directed center or right.

thanks
According to the Dev in the EA TW forums, the Move functionality has had 3 additional weeks of tuning after the demo was finished. The Dev who posted this said the Move functionality in the final product should be much improved over what is in the Demo...

# 102 Triggerfish @ 03/13/11 10:21 AM
Actually I like it that u have to move your view to aim your shot without any "circle" or "marker" just like real golf...I wish they would just put a sign at the tee box for distances and 150 and 200 yard markers on the course and that's it! But I will not buy it if I have to look at the caddies suggestions even if I turn the caddy off. Aside from that the graphics look nicer than past versions and I love the putting!

# 103 BlueNGold @ 03/13/11 05:06 PM
Keep in mind I barely know anything about golf, but even I thought this demo was pretty bad. The caddy system really dumbed the game down. It felt like the game was just "pick suggestion from caddy (if there was even more than 1), swing your club" and that was it.

The graphics were nice and the career mode looked interesting, but the whole caddy thing is a complete turn-off.

# 104 ComfortablyLomb @ 03/13/11 07:40 PM
This seems to be the best looking TW so far... too bad the caddy thing is a train wreck. Not only is it annoying and something I don't want (who did?) but I can't shut it off AND the caddy makes really questionable decisions. It should be interesting to see the comments from the buying public that doesn't try the demo...

# 105 K_GUN @ 03/13/11 08:23 PM
not bad demo.....i'm a 10 HDCP in real life and this game is a nice diversion from my real life struggles on a course....caddie thing is neat...reminds me of the time I played Pinehurst #2 a few years back...little nuggets of info here & there

oh and it's Augusta National on a 46" HDTV

# 106 hustlin @ 03/13/11 09:45 PM
I really don't think the caddy addition is a bad thing. After playing the demo a few times, I'm getting the impression that the caddy just basically gives you the safe option on your shot. For instance, if you're on a short par 5, his recommended shots will get you to the green in 3 strokes. You have the choice of accepting that safe option or going custom with your own shot and trying to reach it in two.

Also, I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that your caddy improves the more you play with him right? Those of us who create our own player from scratch and play to improve his stats I'm thinking we start off with a pretty bad caddy. Maybe he gives bad advice and he gets better and better as you get better. So it'll be kinda rewarding to see him get better as you do too.

Also in the demo we play with Tiger and Tiger's caddy who is one of the best. So it makes sense that his recommendations will be on point and the game itself seems dumbed down if you follow what he tells you to do.

# 107 DivotMaker @ 03/14/11 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
This seems to be the best looking TW so far... too bad the caddy thing is a train wreck. Not only is it annoying and something I don't want (who did?) but I can't shut it off AND the caddy makes really questionable decisions. It should be interesting to see the comments from the buying public that doesn't try the demo...
Then simply shut the Caddy voice off in Audio options and with each new shot, hit your D-pad left or right to create your own custom shot....

# 108 RumbleCard @ 03/14/11 09:43 AM
Seems as thought all this talk about the caddy could have been a moot point had they included yardage and club distance markers with the true aim feature. The removal of those overlays makes you totally dependent on the caddy. Which is the fatal flaw here. Patching in the markers would probably change my opinion on the game...and possibly a purchase.

Most of us can get past the annual gimmicks. We can't get past the removal of key overlays which make the game's simulation aspect dependent on said gimmick. It's just too much for me to swallow.

If they address this I'll probably jump on board.

# 109 ComfortablyLomb @ 03/14/11 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Then simply shut the Caddy voice off in Audio options and with each new shot, hit your D-pad left or right to create your own custom shot....
I'm sorry but I don't feel that's acceptably clean. You'll still have the caddy tipping into the screen on shots and I don't see why I have to start jamming buttons just to get back to what should just be there in the first place. The design choices this year have created major interface annoyances, IMO of course.

# 110 rangerrick012 @ 03/14/11 05:16 PM
After playing the demo for a few days, I think the caddy is an annoyance but not the gamebreaker some made it seem. Still wish that EA would give the simple option to turn him off completely and let you go it your own, particularly on tourney mode. I will still likely get this b/c I passed on TW 11 and need a golf fix, but my excitement has been tempered a bit.

# 111 goalie @ 03/14/11 07:07 PM
love the graphics - the edges of the fairways in san antonio, slightly worn... really nice...

# 112 rangerrick012 @ 03/15/11 02:46 AM
I have to say after playing a few more rounds on tourney diff and getting some tips from the guys at the EA forums (thx Divot for the link), I am starting to get into true view and really liking it. The caddy isn't as annoying and I've kinda gotten used to it. Also, the caddy does help when you get into some tough situations, though I still use custom shot 9/10 times. Still wish the option to turn him OFF was there...but like I said before, not a gamebreaker at all.

I do have a $20 Amazon credit, which I'll likely use to get this (and another $10 for preordering this one.) Just hope that EA will continue to try and patch some of the issues which gamers had with the demo.

# 113 Phobia @ 03/15/11 11:07 AM
This is a review my buddy wrote. He is a HUGE golf fanatic and he gave his take on the demo.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frowdawg
Okay so I have been reading and hearing alot of negative things about the new Tiger Woods. Let me start off by saying I have read in forums, heard from friends, and found out for myself that there are some things that might be unappealing to the sim nation.
So here is my take on things.....

The big issue seems to be with the new caddy system that EA has come out with, I am not going to trash the system or praise it I will simply give my point of view and let you draw your own conclusions.

Allow me to set the scene! Its day 4 at the masters your Tiger Woods standing on the 18th tee box caddy at your side with precise yardages and projected ball flight on screen. In my experience I just pulled back on the joystick smashed the ball 310 straight down the pipe (kinda unrealistic for Tiger nowadays jk). On my approach shot again my yardages and flight path was right in front of me and I pulled back on the joystick (yawn) and put it tight to the pin within a foot. Absolutely a tap in for birdie and the win over Anthony Kim! I am less that excited if you can tell. I tell you I was ready to put the game down and write it off at that moment, and honestly I did, I turned the console off and walked away. Then later that evening I began to think about it more and more. Its a demo, what if in fact they were more focused on the atmosphere (Sunday at the Masters), and graphics rather than ease of play. After all there are tons of non sim golfers that are part of EA market that they do not want to turn away from the game. So maybe we are over analyzing the simple facts about that situation. Your playing as Tiger Woods with a very accomplished caddy and obviously his skill levels are superior to most so you would expect him to make these shots. So I picked up the control and decided to give it another shot. This time with the player profile provided to me by the game, kid had far less skilz than Tiger Woods. Again the caddy system acted in the same ways, mapped shots and projected flight paths. I hit a not so blazing 210 off the tee, still in good shape right. Approach shot ended up 50 yards short and in the second cut. Third shot I hit a flop shot about 15 feet from the pin and two putted for bogey. Now were talking a little bit of hope! So all this being said here is my take on the demo.....

The caddy system is not as bad as some of you think. I have played in Golf tournaments with a caddy before and it is there job to provide you with accurate distances to the different placements on the course. They also provide you with accurate distances to various hazards on the course. Distance to carry bunkers, distance to carry over water, also preferred landing areas on greens and layups. This all does no good if the golfer cannot perform the shot properly, so indeed its the golfers skills that are ultimately responsible for carry out there top performance. Just as in real life you can override your caddies advice and hit the way you want and take control of your game. A good caddy will know golfer specific distances with each club as well as higher percentage shots in variation. Ex... Flops, pitches, chips, putts, and also ball flight trajectory. So is this new EA system out of line as far as sim nation is concerned...... I don't think so but that's just one person's opinion. Golf is a game of strategy, any true golfer knows you shoot for par, take the birdies, and play the course. A caddy is a tool used on the course for optimal shot planning and course positioning. The one huge mistake in the caddy system is the percentages I am not happy about that just for the fact that a caddy will not sit there and tell you to hit the ball at 70% to reach the green. However, this feature has been in Tiger Woods since the beginning so honestly I wont complain too much about that aspect of the game.

So in closing I would like to say that the feel of the game, the graphics and gameplay of the Tiger Demo are very beautiful. I did get the feel of being back at Augusta National even if just at 18 from what I have seen its going to be a treat. I am hoping to see the difficulty in tour pro mode make the game play more from a golfers standpoint then a spectators standpoint. Meaning less top views and flight paths and landing precision. Cause honestly go watch the pro's and you will see them miss fairways, greens, and end up in bunkers and hazards. What separates them is there ability to get up and down and make putts that make or break there rounds. So this is my take on the Demo for Tiger take it or leave it! Till the game drops in stores. May your read always be center of the cup!

# 114 fishepa @ 03/15/11 11:39 AM
Quote:
I have played in Golf tournaments with a caddy before and it is there job to provide you with accurate distances to the different placements on the course. They also provide you with accurate distances to various hazards on the course. Distance to carry bunkers, distance to carry over water, also preferred landing areas on greens and layups. This all does no good if the golfer cannot perform the shot properly, so indeed its the golfers skills that are ultimately responsible for carry out there top performance. Just as in real life you can override your caddies advice and hit the way you want and take control of your game. A good caddy will know golfer specific distances with each club as well as higher percentage shots in variation.
And in this years game the caddy does not give specific distance to the pin, green, bunkers, correct?

# 115 Phobia @ 03/15/11 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
And in this years game the caddy does not give specific distance to the pin, green, bunkers, correct?
I have not played the demo yet Fish, but I think it is like last years. Just distance to pin

# 116 rolltide1017 @ 03/15/11 01:15 PM
Quote:
The caddy system is not as bad as some of you think. I have played in Golf tournaments with a caddy before and it is there job to provide you with accurate distances to the different placements on the course. They also provide you with accurate distances to various hazards on the course. Distance to carry bunkers, distance to carry over water, also preferred landing areas on greens and layups.
But that is not what the games caddy system does! If all the caddy did was give you yardage to bunkers, hazards, green, pin and other spots on the course then I'd have no problem with it. That would be realistic. The problem is that the caddy in the game gives you a ball flight line drawn to the point where your ball will land as long as you hit the % he suggest. I've never seen a caddy do that in real life. The caddy system is a joke as it stands now and not realistic at all.

With that said, I have no problem with it being in the game for those who wish to use. The biggest issue is it being forced onto the highest difficulty setting by default and not being able to completely disable it. Part of the fun of playing the game, for me at least, is studying the course and determining what shot to take. I don't want a computer AI doing that for me and turning the game into a see if you can hit the correct % on each shot game. It takes all the fun out of the game IMO. I should not be able to shoot under par with the profile player in the Tournament difficulty consistently but I do using the caddy system. If I can shoot 3 under through 5 holes on the demo, on Tournament mode, just imagine how low a full round will get, this all with a player without any XP added yet. This shouldn't be happening on the highest difficulty setting and proves how bad the caddy system is for the sim golf fan.

# 117 All-Vol @ 03/15/11 01:58 PM
Just got through messing with the demo and have a question. Is the only way to zoom pushing the left stick up? If so, I hate it.

I haven't purchased tiger since 07 and this demo is a total shock to me as far as functionality is concerned. Why can't I see the yardage or elevation?

I'm really itching for a good game of golf. Should I get TW11?

I was soooo excited about Augusta being in the game but really don't like the demo. Someone please talk me off the ledge.

# 118 Phobia @ 03/15/11 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017
But that is not what the games caddy system does! If all the caddy did was give you yardage to bunkers, hazards, green, pin and other spots on the course then I'd have no problem with it. That would be realistic. The problem is that the caddy in the game gives you a ball flight line drawn to the point where your ball will land as long as you it the % he suggest. I've never seen a caddy do that in real life. The caddy system is a joke as it stands now and not realistic at all.

With that said, I have no problem with it being in the game for those who wish to use. The biggest issue is it being forced onto the highest difficulty setting by default and not being able to completely disable it. Part of the fun of playing the game, for me at least, is studying the course and determining what shot to take. I don't want a computer AI doing that for me and turning the game into a see if you can hit the correct % on each shot game. It takes all the fun out of the game IMO. I should not be able to shoot under par with the profile player in the Tournament difficulty consistently but I do using the caddy system. If I can shoot 3 under through 5 holes on the demo, on Tournament mode, just imagine how low a full round will get, this all with a player without any XP added yet. This shouldn't be happening on the highest difficulty setting and proves how bad the caddy system is for the sim golf fan.
Yea we all agree on that Tide!

He stated this in the review just what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frowdawg
The one huge mistake in the caddy system is the percentages I am not happy about that just for the fact that a caddy will not sit there and tell you to hit the ball at 70% to reach the green. However, this feature has been in Tiger Woods since the beginning so honestly I wont complain too much about that aspect of the game.
Quote:
On my approach shot again my yardages and flight path was right in front of me and I pulled back on the joystick (yawn) and put it tight to the pin within a foot. Absolutely a tap in for birdie and the win over Anthony Kim! I am less that excited if you can tell. I tell you I was ready to put the game down and write it off at that moment, and honestly I did, I turned the console off and walked away.
But what he pointed out a good point. We are playing with highest rated guy in the demo and when you use the pre-made low rated guy it is not as easy.

Quote:
Your playing as Tiger Woods with a very accomplished caddy and obviously his skill levels are superior to most so you would expect him to make these shots. So I picked up the control and decided to give it another shot. This time with the player profile provided to me by the game, kid had far less skilz than Tiger Woods. Again the caddy system acted in the same ways, mapped shots and projected flight paths. I hit a not so blazing 210 off the tee, still in good shape right. Approach shot ended up 50 yards short and in the second cut. Third shot I hit a flop shot about 15 feet from the pin and two putted for bogey. Now were talking a little bit of hope!
No one is saying it is right, we all agree on that. But can we work with it to make it realistic I think we might be able to.

Put a ratings cap on players and do tournaments that way is one option. This way they are not as good and neither is the caddy.

# 119 All-Vol @ 03/15/11 06:02 PM
How do you reverse it? This is the first tiger game in a long time where I feel like I can't see the course. It's like they put horse blinders on me.

# 120 JimmyPelican @ 03/15/11 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
Not sure that I can...I can only confirm that I feel the same way. I've already jumped off the ledge with other EA games e.g. Madden. I don't think EA "gets it"...when they get going in the right direction they still end up finding away to turn you off...after last years game which I enjoyed I was super pumped for this years game (w/ Masters and all) but the changes to the game do nothing for me. Actually it's worse than that, the changes have turned me off of the game.

One thing I can tell you is I'm trying to like the demo even with the clunky controls...I've found a way to get around the stupid caddy thing (by pressing the "o" button and choosing a custom shot) but even then it's confusing to figure out where my cursor is, where I'm hitting the ball, my lie, how do I zoom, how do I aim my shot, ect...I seariously dont' think they could have f'd up the controls any worse if they literally tried. If they want to add the caddy thing, then fine...give us the option to turn it off and don't change around the controls. But, they couldn't do either. It really is amazing.
These are some of the reasons im still playing 10.
I tried the demo last year and didnt think it was worth a purchase.
Tried this years demo, and feel like they are heading in the wrong direction with some parts of the series that have me scratching my head.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.