Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

We recently changed our review process. Read all about how we do our reviews now.

Day One: Initial Impressions

I will admit that online play is usually not at the top of my priority list, at least when it comes to baseball games. I would rather spend my time wheeling and dealing within the confines of a franchise mode than battle it out with unknown opponents.

Still, I jumped into a couple Play Now games last evening, looking for something that might encourage me to devote more time to online baseball. Unfortunately, in my limited online time, I have not seen anything that’s going to addict me quite as much as the great offline gameplay -- the new XP system is not going to do it.

It is hard to judge an online game in its first few days of existence -- this is even more true when considering my relative inexperience. However, during the couple of games that I played, I did not have a good time.

Read More - MLB 11: The Show Online Impressions

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 sa012 @ 03/10/11 05:59 PM
You hit it right on the nose Chris. Something is way off with hitting this year. I'm either really early or really late. Can't seem to get the right timing. I hope they can rewrite the code or something to fix this. MLB 10 was perfect. Had hardly any lag what so ever last year. It's funny looking at everyones player cards this year with BAs of .150 and ERAs of 1.50.

# 2 Pujols_5 @ 03/10/11 06:17 PM
Played one online game with my friend that lives a few miles down the road and the lag was just terrible. We both have really good internet connection and never have lags with any other games. Hopefully it gets worked out.

# 3 sooner1 @ 03/10/11 06:25 PM
This game has always been bad online since it went to ps3. Now, back in the ps2 days I loved this game online. Its really disheartning to watch such an awsome game play online like its 1989.

# 4 cheechoo98 @ 03/11/11 09:21 AM
This seems to be the consensus with Play Now. It's a weird combination of the new analog hitting mechanic that is making everyone swing early. BUT even still, I played one game with Zone htting and it was oddly the same experience..

I was 3-0 so far online - 1 solo HR in each game to win it. weird. But last nite, i was in a 5-3 game.. maybe I'm adjusting. I hope I get better because last year, I stopped playing offline and ONLY played online. I just feel better playing real opponents.

# 5 supermanemblem @ 03/11/11 10:11 AM
Online is still wack. Pitchers throwing BP fastballs automatically. WTF??? Headsets don't work. Agree they haven't got online right since coming to the PS3.

# 6 DiddyGotGrillz @ 03/11/11 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pujols_5
Played one online game with my friend that lives a few miles down the road and the lag was just terrible. We both have really good internet connection and never have lags with any other games. Hopefully it gets worked out.
Unfortunately it never has so I seriously doubt it will get worked out.

# 7 FunkeyMonkey @ 03/11/11 03:58 PM
I have played 1 game with analog batting and one game with zone and the zone was much better. Will stick with zone when playing online.

# 8 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/11/11 07:00 PM
42 and I played a coop game online last night in which we got whooped. It was smooth as an offline game. Everything played great.

We are about 150+ miles apart.

# 9 TallyBoi7 @ 03/11/11 09:38 PM
This is my first time playing a baseball game online and it's kinda frustrating. Just like the OP said, it's hard to swing...every swing I make is early...when I play offline, my swings are fine. I'm seeing a lot of strikeouts(on both sides) The lag also gave me a disconnect loss in a scoreless game in the 7th inning...in this game I believe I had just struckout 7 or 8 batters in a row, and my opponent had struckout about 14 or 15 of my batters.

# 10 Sakuraba19 @ 03/14/11 12:35 AM
Maybe I played against you, I remmeber winning 1-0 vs Philly with an A-ROD homerun and that's it....I was too early on every damn pitch .

# 11 dannyheck @ 03/14/11 11:14 AM
Online games RUINS the fun of the game. OFFLINE is AMAZING!!! Cannot wait til we have opening day rosters, so I can start a season. I wish you could start a season now, and use updated rosters when they occur, instead of being stuck with the rosters you start a season with.

Back to online play though..... sucky cheese players throwing curveballs in the dirt... ruins the game.... hope you guys get something from not playing sim

# 12 Hangur Bangur @ 03/28/11 05:13 AM
I really like the ONLINE play as I cant get motivated to play the COMPUTER OFFLINE. Playing ONLINE can be a trivial experience as you face other gamers who want to win. What does this mean you say? Well everyone has their own technique, therefore, you have to give other gamers the benefit of the doubt. I don't expect anyone to throw you fastballs right down the middle just so that you get your hits. You will have to deal with some extremely tough gamers who mix it up with pitches in the dirt, high, low and inside, high and away, etc... just like a real pitcher does in a game. No one just throws it down the middle in the pro's do they?

The ONLINE experience is great if you ask me. I'm proving to other gamers that I came to play with a strategy. You must have a strategy and be prepared to possibly be no-hit at any time. AS with anything it takes patience as you I don't think anyone can expect just to step in there and win the triple crown. All I can say is that the ONLINE experience provides me exactly what I'm looking for. I find ways to improve my tactics. I face some other tough gamers who throw nasty curveballs in the dirt. I chase balls up and in and sometimes I even figure out that the other pitcher isn't throwing strikes so surprisingly I take a walk. Can you believe that?

The moral of this article is that just because you can't hit or have the patience to endure some serious competitiveness then maybe the ONLINE experience isn't for you as GAMERS PLAY TO WIN. Don't get frustrated because you can't hit, figure it out, take some pitches, have a game plan. Notice the leaderboards, these guys are the best in the country and if you play one of them either they will beat you so bad that you quit or you will learn something in the way they play the game that you can utilize in your next outing. The game is so real that i feel as if good pitching beats good hitting. Im currently 35-13 online and I'm hitting roughly around .240 with a 1.71 ERA.

Whatever you do, don't knock the ONLINE experience because you just aren't that good. There is a learning curve involved with most games so I say, grab a cold one, relax and enjoy America's Greatest Pastime from the convience of your own home in MLB THE SHOW 11. Sign into SPORTSCONNECT and just hope that you aren't playing psn=HANGUR-BANGUR because I play to win. My motto states "If you hang it I will make History."

Whitesox Nation

# 13 buggs1a @ 04/05/11 01:21 PM
Fix initial impressions link. It doesn't link to anythi.g you wrote.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.