Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

We recently changed our review process. Read all about how we do our reviews now.

Day One: Initial Impressions
Day Two: Initial Online Impressions

Day three in the new review process is the day that I am given carte blanche by our editorial staff to write about anything I want concerning MLB 2K11. Instead of boring you with my thoughts on the game's amazing soundtrack, I’ll cut to the chase and give some overall mid-week impressions on the game. I know that many of you are still on the fence out there regarding a purchase of this game, so I want to make sure to provide as much information as possible prior to my final review, which will hit early next week.

But before I dive into my thoughts on the game three days in, I wanted to give 2K a big pat on the bat for the inclusion of a dedicated Playoff mode. While not exactly the sexiest feature out there (at least according to the competition), dedicated playoff modes are an absolute must for me in a baseball game. Let’s face it, not all of our favorite teams are lucky enough to make the playoffs in real life -- let alone our respective franchises -- so such a mode is the only hope we have to see our team win a ring. 2K’s Playoff mode is customizable, easy to access and a whole lot of fun to play, especially should you have a couple buddies who are willing to come over for some local multiplayer.

All right, with that out of the way, let's move on.

Read More - Major League Baseball 2K11 Mid-Review Update

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 rudyjuly2 @ 03/12/11 06:43 AM
I don't see the frustration in defense the way you are describing. I still like the outfielder circles and haven't blown one yet. In fact, I'm seeing an overall lack of errors in this game to where I'm a little frustrated with that area. I do think they underestimate the defensive abilities of young or relatively unknown players. A guy like Danny Worth is a classic all defense, pray he can hit type of player. But because he's barely played in the bigs and probably won't make the Tigers this year they just give him crappy ratings all around. Raburn has a cannon in the outfield and yet the game gives him a very average arm. I'd like to know where they get their defensive ratings from.

I will admit to some frustration in how long it's taking me to get the game to play the way I like - dropping the amount of overall hits and trying to get more power in the game, etc. I'm almost there and I do think the game is still a lot of fun to play.

# 2 tril @ 03/12/11 08:45 AM
I have the PC version and I have yet to see "ugly graphics or animations". Is there a significant difference between the consoles and PC version. The graphics and animations are beautiful, and on par with THE SHOW.
IMO, MLB2k11 is starting to feel like "The Show". The line between the two is starting to get blurred. For the record The Show is still the more superior title, but 2K is making huge strides.

I agree with the presentation, 2K put alot of effort in this and it shows., and I never noticed that other versions of 2k didnt have a playoff mode.

Fun factor and the amount of time it takes to play a game is a Huge plus. However I do feel that the games are taking longer to play, when comparing to 2k9 and 2k10.

Folks this year will have a hard time choosing which game to purchase. I always like both, Not a diehard baseball fan, but this is the only sports title that I'll buy both versions of. othe sports titles its one or the other.

# 3 loganmorrison1 @ 03/12/11 10:22 AM
Seems like the review was cut off. it just ended without any type of conclusion. I would revise as it comes off very amateurish

# 4 D Apocalypse @ 03/12/11 10:28 AM
@ Logan - If you were paying attention, this isn't suppose to be the full review.

@ Tril - Good to hear the PC version is optimized for PC. I have 2K10 and I agree that the graphics look amazing and is night and day compared to consoles granted you have a rig that can max out settings. I was waiting for a Steam version but it might not come out. I'm running out of shelf space and I actually prefer digital copies instead.

# 5 sroz39 @ 03/12/11 11:09 AM
My thoughts echo Rudy's 110%. The frustration I'm feeling right now is mainly around trying to make a slider do one thing without breaking another i.e. fielding errors on routine flys, not hard grounders, hitting sliders increasing power numbers without increasing hit numbers etc.

I can sort of see what the reviewer is mentioning about a serviceable defensive player being laughably bad in the game. But to be honest, as big as the circle is on flyballs with some guys, there still exists a field assist function that won't let you stray too far from a ball's destination.

Sent from work...or my bathroom using Tapatalk

# 6 dolemint @ 03/12/11 11:57 AM
Graphics on par with Bases Loaded on the NES? Come on... really? They're not on par with that other game, but I have a feeling this forthcoming review is going to be a troll-fest. Writing something like that on the boards by a regular member would probably be grounds for a time-out / banning.

There's plenty else in the game that's worth picking on. Please make your review a fair and intelligent criticism, not school yard crap.

# 7 ChaseB @ 03/12/11 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolemint
Graphics on par with Bases Loaded on the NES? Come on... really? They're not on par with that other game, but I have a feeling this forthcoming review is going to be a troll-fest. Writing something like that on the boards by a regular member would probably be grounds for a time-out / banning.

There's plenty else in the game that's worth picking on. Please make your review a fair and intelligent criticism, not school yard crap.
He just said that for Tropicana -- The Trop does look horrendous from the default TB pitching camera (and that place in general looks real bad).

# 8 bigfnjoe96 @ 03/12/11 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
He just said that for Tropicana -- The Trop does look horrendous from the default TB pitching camera (and that place in general looks real bad).
So VC got-it right...

# 9 ChaseB @ 03/12/11 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
So VC got-it right...
Ha, yes, pretty much.

# 10 ggazoo @ 03/12/11 01:40 PM
I'm one of those guys still on the fence, and this was a very informative write up - but to compare the game graphically for something on the NES? We all know that 2K11 is no Show, but that was way too harsh.

# 11 leafs nation @ 03/12/11 01:49 PM
I've heard guys compare it to NBA 2k11 for graphics which I think would be fair being from the same company. They say it's not even close. I don't know. I don't like basketball so havn't seen it. I know for hockey the 2k game looked like it was for the ps2 compared to it's competition and from what I saw in the demo their MLB game looked like crap graphically. Fine for you guys that don't care about graphics. I do.

# 12 Boston_Sports_Fan @ 03/12/11 01:55 PM
I'm liking the presentation of this game, granted that there are a few rough spots. For example, the 2D graphic layout for the crowd in the upper decks and monster seats at Fenway Park. The only thing that really bothers me is when the camera focuses on the pitcher and all he is doing is staring blankly somewhere off into space as if he just got a lobotomy done to his brain. I find that this is the only thing that disrupts the flow of the presentation because to me it's akward just watching a pitcher doing nothing with that blank look on his face for a few seconds. In order to keep the flow of the presentation going I hit the A button at the first sign of that cut scene popping up. Other than that this is a fun baseball game.

# 13 Bumble14 @ 03/12/11 01:59 PM
Guys-

Before you say I am knocking the graphics of the game I think it would be best to go back and read my initial impressions.

I'll say it again, the game is a mixed bag in the graphics department. And yes, the Trop (and the Trop only) looks like a game of Bases Loaded from the default broadcast pitching department. Some areas of the game look great, some look like they were brought over from the PS2, and certain aspects (like the Trop) have me scratching my head as to how bad they look.

I'm not comparing 2K11's visuals to any other game here--my opinions on graphics stand alone based on what I am seeing in my time with 2K11, and 2K11 only.

# 14 jeffy777 @ 03/12/11 02:34 PM
The Trop does look bad, but "8-bit NES" bad? ....C'mon!

# 15 spit_bubble @ 03/12/11 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Sports_Fan
...The only thing that really bothers me is when the camera focuses on the pitcher and all he is doing is staring blankly somewhere off into space as if he just got a lobotomy done to his brain...
I strung together a few hits off of Joe Blanton and the camera cut to him for a good five seconds, and he kept on making this strange expression over and over... Looked like he was trying to squeeze out a dook.

As for the graphics and animations, the animations aren't that bad. There are simply some that don't look very realistic. The player models on the other hand... A lot of the players look like ogres, or some medievil ancestor of the actual player they were trying to represent... And that certainly doesn't help for those aforementioned close up shots.

# 16 ChaseB @ 03/12/11 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
The Trop does look bad, but "8-bit NES" bad? ....C'mon!

Ha, I mean he's clearly being a bit over the top for the sake of proving a point about The Trop, but I do think the pitching camera angle is close to the same one in Bases Loaded in that stadium.

# 17 rudyjuly2 @ 03/12/11 05:14 PM
I know it's easy to harp on the negatives and I'm guilty as charged but I do think we should mention two features that get no love in any review. One is the VIP feature and the other is the sports blog in franchise mode. These things are great and yet I never read about them.

# 18 econoodle @ 03/12/11 06:16 PM
christian, great thoughts on the game.
You are helping me along on a possible purchase. the franchise ipressions will be the creme de la creme though.

great stuff as always.

# 19 mrclutch @ 03/12/11 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Ha, I mean he's clearly being a bit over the top for the sake of proving a point about The Trop, but I do think the pitching camera angle is close to the same one in Bases Loaded in that stadium.
Bases Loaded--Best Baseball Game Ever!!

Nice article by the way.

# 20 Simp @ 03/12/11 07:28 PM
Playoff mode should be thought of as an absolute essential mode in any sports game, like franchise mode is. Playoff games are the most fun games to play in so why not let people have access to the playoff atmosphere and sense of pressure? Playoff mode should be standard in every sports game. It was standard 20 years ago so why not now?

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.