Home
Madden 12 News Post

Phil Frazier, Executive Producer for Madden NFL 12, has just announced that a teaser video will be released early next week with several new features to be shown.

What features are you hoping to see?

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 mm boost @ 03/16/11 10:50 PM
my guess is something appearance related, and I am willing to bet they are using the same HDR lighting that the NCAA team just dropped.

# 42 Matt10 @ 03/17/11 01:21 AM
If they keep the "Features" as off the field features, then yes I'd be excited.

The problem is, EA are obssessed with over simplifying things, to the point they have to be given a cool, catchy name.

Pro Tak, is just tackling in football. That's all. I don't want to know what type of tackles are going to be displayed - do you truly care? Let's be surprised for once.

Locomotion...seriously? Running realistically. or like a "human being". The variation of running animations should not be a feature on its own, it should be the core.

I could go on, but as I said, if this is nothing but on the field features - then I'll say "whatever" because it frustrates me that EA can't just say

"Madden 2012. Football."

featuring:

- real teams, players, specific characteristics
- team celebrations - no more individual no emotion like celebrations
- tv broadcast - replays, analysis, challenges, cut scenes, interactive COMMENTARY
- Franchise mode - become a gm/owner, relocate, want Roger Goddell's job? Do it.
- Superstar Mode - revamped, interactive, drama filled, adjustments to life as a rookie to life as a veteran.

Any on the field stuff listed at all? Nope - and I just filled out 5 catchy slots that could be as features.

# 43 mestevo @ 03/17/11 01:53 AM
What you cite as 'should be the core game, not a feature' are actually complex systems that take a lot of resources to create/maintain/perfect, which is why they are promoted the way they are.

# 44 striker3771 @ 03/17/11 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
I think NCAA has trumped Madden this year and they will continue to stay ahead of the Madden team.
So true this gen. I don't have any confidence in Ian or his crew.

# 45 STLRams @ 03/17/11 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdagreat
smh.... some of ya too gullible. "New Features"? Am i the only one that notice, when Sony come out with The Show or when 2K comes out with NBA2K that the first thing they discuss is GAMEPLAY enhancements, but every time EA comes out, they discuss features and visual enhancements? The Show and 2K is undoubtedly the best 2 sports games in the history of gaming, but EVERY time they come out, they work hard on improving the gameplay and use it as their marketing. We have come to expect so much, that we know the visuals will be good and when they release "features" its just like icing on the cake. EA give us a bowl a icing with a little debbie cupcake and everybody get excited. Dont show me no features, show me some ON THE FIELD GAMEPLAY!!!!
You know that is true about EA always wanting to show features first every year, while 2K and Sony are not like that. After all this time I never even thought about that. I just can't hop on the Madden hype train that seems to be turning on the engine next week, I just don't want to get myself dissapointed again this year. Until I actually play Madden12 I can't get myself hyped over the blogs videos and FEATURES. The gameplay improvements and presentation that I physically see while playing will be the things I will allow me to get hyped about the game. Once again this year lets just hope for the best fellas.

# 46 DaveDQ @ 03/17/11 12:41 PM
I'd like to know "who and how many" videos like this reach. This time of year, the guy that picks up Madden so he can play with his favorite team and players isn't out there looking for info on Madden 12. He's probably long past Madden 11.

When you factor in the people the video will reach, it's mostly people that are sports gamers and follow the information as it comes along. In relation to all that actually buy the game, that's a small amount. And this leads me to wonder what exactly will be in this video. You would assume some core gameplay enhancements like better tackling, more blocking scenarios and other on field creations will show themselves. I would not expect something like Gameflow or some other peripheral to be shown to a mass of gamers that want a little more depth.

# 47 mm boost @ 03/17/11 12:57 PM
I for one feel quite the opposite of many of you guys. I feel like they have a good chance of knocking madden 12 out of the park, especially since madden 11 was madden 10 with new rosters and a few updated visuals and a new commentator. They told us last year they were building the franchise new from the ground up for 12, as well as revamping the game, and that there would not be many ground breaking changes for 2011. We ALL knew that before 11 was even out, but yet everyone acted so surprised like they never even knew. That gives me hope with a lot of time and care put into the game, especially with the guys that worked on Head Coach trying to implement a lot of those things into the franchise mode. This has the potential to be a big year for Madden. NCAA 2011 hit it out of the park, and they look to be building on top of a solid year for 2012, so if the Madden department can follow that path, this is going to be an awesome year of video game football.

I am being optimistic instead of pessimistic. I would be a miserable person if I came on here day in, day out and complained, cried, and moaned about a VIDEO GAME. Give the guys some credit, they try their best to bring us console football, and not a single piece of information other than tuning updates and Surprise onside kicks have been released, and yet people are already throwing in the towel and saying EA SPORTS SUXORZ1!11! Why don't you guys try being patient, and just let the news come and develop opinions off of that? I don't get how one picture comes out, and then people are like "omg another year of sucking it up for EA, I am not buying this year, the same ol same ol, nothing has changed." I don't get that line of thinking when you don't even know what they have done with Madden this year. Give it time people, shesh.

# 48 Armor and Sword @ 03/17/11 01:08 PM
At this point it is all about presentation and deep franchise mode for me. I really enjoyed Madden 2011's gameplay for the most part. But what put the game on the shelf was the lack of feeling immersed in the NFL and the feeling I was actually part of a true broadcast. That is what 2K11 and The Show 2011 have down to a science.

NCAA 2011 on the other hand made huge strides with their dynasty mode and ESPN presentation. NCAA 2011 was a major hit for me and that title I will play surely play for many years to come.

I am hopeful Ian and crew put it all together for Madden 2012 in the presentation and deep and immersive franchise mode. At this point it is a must. Otherwise Madden will be a pass for me.

One thing I really hope for as well is a player vault so we can upload/download classic rosters, roster updates etc. 2K and SCEA do it...why not EA?

# 49 roadman @ 03/17/11 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm boost

I am being optimistic instead of pessimistic. I would be a miserable person if I came on here day in, day out and complained, cried, and moaned about a VIDEO GAME. Give the guys some credit, they try their best to bring us console football, and not a single piece of information other than tuning updates and Surprise onside kicks have been released, and yet people are already throwing in the towel and saying EA SPORTS SUXORZ1!11! Why don't you guys try being patient, and just let the news come and develop opinions off of that? I don't get how one picture comes out, and then people are like "omg another year of sucking it up for EA, I am not buying this year, the same ol same ol, nothing has changed." I don't get that line of thinking when you don't even know what they have done with Madden this year. Give it time people, shesh.
The people you are referring to have a passion for football and for football video games to represent the NFL game properly.

They are just looking for an avenue to vent their frustrations and displeasure's to the developers(we know we have an audience)

# 50 RGiles36 @ 03/17/11 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
You would assume some core gameplay enhancements like better tackling, more blocking scenarios and other on field creations will show themselves. I would not expect something like Gameflow or some other peripheral to be shown to a mass of gamers that want a little more depth.
I threw GF out there b/c I do imagine it'll be something simple to sneak in. Maybe they've changed the functionality in how you are shown the play instead of auto coach cam. Who knows -- I think you're spot on that we'll notice some gameplay changes.

# 51 SageInfinite @ 03/17/11 04:00 PM
Has Madden footage ever been released this early?

# 52 falconfansince81 @ 03/17/11 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm boost
I for one feel quite the opposite of many of you guys. I feel like they have a good chance of knocking madden 12 out of the park, especially since madden 11 was madden 10 with new rosters and a few updated visuals and a new commentator. They told us last year they were building the franchise new from the ground up for 12, as well as revamping the game, and that there would not be many ground breaking changes for 2011. We ALL knew that before 11 was even out, but yet everyone acted so surprised like they never even knew. That gives me hope with a lot of time and care put into the game, especially with the guys that worked on Head Coach trying to implement a lot of those things into the franchise mode. This has the potential to be a big year for Madden. NCAA 2011 hit it out of the park, and they look to be building on top of a solid year for 2012, so if the Madden department can follow that path, this is going to be an awesome year of video game football.

insanity can be defined as continuously repeating the same actions and expecting a different result, and i think a lot of guys have seen the results for 6 years and haven't been given a reason yet to believe otherwise. i wouldn't call it pessimistic, i'd call it realistic.

those hardcore fans would have to be INSANE to think anything would be different in terms of real innovation after seeing the same lack of progression with presentation and franchise mode. best thing to do is just wait on the vid's to come out and judge for yourself, til then there isn't much to debate. i'll remain neutral until i at least play the demo and get a feature list.

# 53 kjcheezhead @ 03/17/11 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
People have lofty expectations for a teaser video...

I imagine it'll be some gameplay footage if it's like the teaser vids of years past. In the midst of the vid, I think we'll see a few equipment additions, some new animations, the new NCAA lighting, and perhaps an enhancement to Gameflow.
I don't even think there will even be gameplay footage, not from the view we actually play the game from anyways. It'll be a collection of cherry picked shots zoomed in to highlight lighting affects or additions like "animated towels", imo.

Fuel for the Madden hype train but nothing that really represents how the game looks when played...that's what I expect.

# 54 PGaither84 @ 03/17/11 08:16 PM
I can see it already:

[PGaither84 turns the game on, presses the A button and start button over and over again to get into the game.]

[PGaither84 finally boots the game up, goes into settings and makes changes.]

[PGaither84 plays a game or two of Play Now.]

[PGaither84 goes into game modes, selects Franchise - New Franchise. A pop up come on screen. "New Franchise unavailable do to NFL lockout. Please enjoy more Play now and Madden online multi player."]

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

# 55 RedZoneD25 @ 03/17/11 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I can see it already:

[PGaither84 turns the game on, presses the A button and start button over and over again to get into the game.]

[PGaither84 finally boots the game up, goes into settings and makes changes.]

[PGaither84 plays a game or two of Play Now.]

[PGaither84 goes into game modes, selects Franchise - New Franchise. A pop up come on screen. "New Franchise unavailable do to NFL lockout. Please enjoy more Play now and Madden online multi player."]

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

See, this is why OS needs a karma system. +4 billion rep, I just spit Dr. Pepper all over my MacBook.

# 56 Matt10 @ 03/17/11 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
What you cite as 'should be the core game, not a feature' are actually complex systems that take a lot of resources to create/maintain/perfect, which is why they are promoted the way they are.
I don't care if they are complex - honestly. Do you think the casual gamer cares about that as well? No, they don't. The consumer doesn't care about how difficult it is to execute something that is so simple as a football tackle. And even if it is a complex tackle, the consumer doesn't care how it's executed. Just do it.

That's what I'm talking about - seriously - just do it. Stop telling me about it with hype, just do it and let me be amazed on my own. It's a football game, right? So, show me the football and shutup. Is that so hard?

I understand if they show a video of a great football tackle - fine - do it. But don't LABEL what technology is supported - I honestly don't care. Just say

"We are working on achieving more realistic tackles this year..."

not

"We are working on achieving more realistic tackles this year by using Pro-Tak Version 2"

Uh - okay. I don't care. Nice tackle.

They've tried to introduce features year after year - and it's honestly backfired on them. On the field features are part of system, okay - but don't hype them up with a title.

# 57 econoodle @ 03/17/11 09:08 PM
i think the teaser vid will reveal....progressive lighting.

# 58 roadman @ 03/17/11 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
I don't care if they are complex - honestly. Do you think the casual gamer cares about that as well? No, they don't. The consumer doesn't care about how difficult it is to execute something that is so simple as a football tackle. And even if it is a complex tackle, the consumer doesn't care how it's executed. Just do it.

That's what I'm talking about - seriously - just do it. Stop telling me about it with hype, just do it and let me be amazed on my own. It's a football game, right? So, show me the football and shutup. Is that so hard?

I understand if they show a video of a great football tackle - fine - do it. But don't LABEL what technology is supported - I honestly don't care. Just say

"We are working on achieving more realistic tackles this year..."

not

"We are working on achieving more realistic tackles this year by using Pro-Tak Version 2"

Uh - okay. I don't care. Nice tackle.

They've tried to introduce features year after year - and it's honestly backfired on them. On the field features are part of system, okay - but don't hype them up with a title.
I totally understand what you are saying and agree, but it's been proven in marketing that hype sells. If there is a new burger commercial on TV and print ads that appears mouth-watering, that is creating hype for people to try the new burger.

Marketing makes those decisions, not developers.

# 59 green94 @ 03/17/11 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
i think the teaser vid will reveal....progressive lighting.
Yes please, I've been asking for this for years.

I'd also take dynamic sidelines (2k8) and dynamic pylons.

# 60 brettmickey @ 03/17/11 11:02 PM
'Chise mode better be revamped because I LIVE on franchise. Obviously these last few years I have been on life support...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.