Home
Top Spin 4 News Post

Tennis has always been one of the go-to sports in my life, so of course I was as giddy as this guy when I first heard that the Top Spin franchise was returning for a fourth installment. But by no means did I expect Top Spin 4 to impress me as much as it has to this point. To put it quite simply, this is the best tennis simulation ever made.

Read More - Top Spin 4 Review (360)

Game: Top Spin 4Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 8 - View All
Top Spin 4 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 catcatch22 @ 03/28/11 03:58 PM
The link on the front page is messed up. Instead of the review it shows an all star game simulation.

# 2 The Bimmer @ 03/28/11 05:16 PM
Nice write-up, unfortunately in World Tour the fact is, connecting to players in direct matches and Tournaments is all messed up. 75% of the time you cant get connected in direct matches or have to wait 10-15 minutes. You get a loss if you dont connect too, bummer. Online was a huge disappointment for me this is why I traded it in.

Offline was fine but some elements of career mode were lacking to keep my interest level.

# 3 acarrero @ 03/28/11 06:24 PM
I played the demo, looked very promising. I liked TS3, and this seems like a major step up. However, I don't think the graphics, sounds, game modes, downloadable content, or animations are as good as Fight Night Champion. Two totally different sports I know, but I happen to play both of them in real life, and I believe FNC is the better game despite getting only a 7 here. The reviewer was clearly waiting for this game to come out, so you have to deduct from the overall score based on his probable bias. I will get the game and see if my hunch was right. See you online!

# 4 Smallberries @ 03/28/11 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
Now that the gameplay and AI is great, 2K can really concentrate on the finer things and a more fleshed out career mode for TS5. TS4 is a fantastic starting point. Hope we don't have to wait another 3 years.
I agree. Gameplay-wise, the only thing 2k needs to improve upon is the serving. I'd love to see them add more serving risk/reward in the next game, especially on second serves.

# 5 steelereign @ 03/28/11 09:42 PM
A fair review, although the serve stick is far too easy. There truly is no reason to use the face buttons to serve unless you want to mix up your serve style. The serve stick is essentially a rocket serve & you'll have the timing down after one set. I agree with the poster who said that there needs to be more risk/reward when serving.

I love the game, but feel that there needs to be a greater variety unforced errors. It seems that the vast majority of rallys are just a battle to see who can get their opponent out wide & then crush a shot cross court. Real tennis is filled random unforced errors that are nothing more than a simple mistake in mechanics or timing.

One other thing for those that are considering buying this for the online component. Initially, I had no trouble connecting to matches, but recently have had to bail out to the xbox menu after 15 minutes of waiting for the server to connect me to a match. As a matter of fact, that happened to me several times in the last couple of days. I'm hoping it's a minor issue - if not, I will likely be trading this in sooner than later.

All in all, I love the game. Probably my favorite tennis game ever too. BTW - I'm playing on "hard" level.

# 6 swaldo @ 03/29/11 02:27 AM
So can we officially retire Virtua Tennis for the Dreamcast?

# 7 econoodle @ 03/29/11 09:28 AM
very well done Dustin, very well done.
echoed my thoughts on 4 as well.
bravo.

# 8 Blue_Monkey @ 03/30/11 06:35 AM
Can you finally choose the number of games and sets in Career Mode (full 6 and 2-3)? Previously you could play only 3 games and 1-2 sets which rendered Career Mode useless to me.

# 9 rangerrick012 @ 03/30/11 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Monkey
Can you finally choose the number of games and sets in Career Mode (full 6 and 2-3)? Previously you could play only 3 games and 1-2 sets which rendered Career Mode useless to me.
Yes you can play full 3 set, 6 game matches in career mode, as well as best of 5 sets/6 games for the slams.

# 10 emelki1968 @ 03/30/11 08:01 PM
One question. I am doing the career mode and all the tournaments are "super tiebreak". I have never played a full game?Are those reserved to the big tournaments? I have the gameplay in hard, if that is a help.
Thanks

# 11 boritter @ 03/30/11 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelki1968
One question. I am doing the career mode and all the tournaments are "super tiebreak". I have never played a full game?Are those reserved to the big tournaments? I have the gameplay in hard, if that is a help.
Thanks
Correct. Super tiebreak goes away when you start playing Grand Slams and the other big events (they're called majors or masters I think).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.