Home
Madden 12 News Post

According to Kotaku, Madden NFL 12 will include concussions to present a safety message.

Quote:
"Remarkably, Madden NFL 12 will depict players suffering concussions, according to the president of the NFL Players' Association, but apparently in a manner that reinforces the seriousness of the injury and the message that playing through one is not a good idea.

In a tweet first reported on by Gamasutra, George Atallah, a senior official with the NFLPA, praised EA Sports for the injury's inclusion. "Good for EA Sports. Concussed players in NFL Madden prevented from returning to play," Atallah wrote. "Culture change is important."

Evidently that means players will be shown being taken from the field, unable to return. Past versions of Madden have included a coaching decision to re-insert players who have suffered certain injuries that the game considers playable. Concussions won't be one, reinforcing the message, especially to younger players, that it is a serious injury and not a time to be a hero playing through it."

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 J-Unit40 @ 03/30/11 08:55 PM
I like it. The message and the fact that it is in the game.

# 2 jmurphy31 @ 03/30/11 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
I like it. The message and the fact that it is in the game.
I agree. Its in the NFL in real life and should be in the game.

# 3 jmurphy31 @ 03/30/11 08:58 PM
I do hope it doesn't happen way too frequently or on random plays (like stepping out of bounds)

# 4 BlackJack_Williams @ 03/30/11 09:32 PM
So will these hits be reenacted correctly? No concussions from wrap tackles right? This sounds like good news and it's great how seriously they're treating the matter. I hope they bring the fear you feel when you see a player hit like that. I remember when D Jackson was hit like that.... *shivers*

# 5 Senator Palmer @ 03/30/11 09:44 PM
Implemented correctly, I like this idea lot. I'd really like it if this were in conjunction with a new tackling mechanic that would give the user more control over the types of tackles applied, and, maybe, tie the risk of concussion to things like hit sticking while in a bad position.

# 6 at23steelers @ 03/30/11 10:08 PM
Maybe this implies a new tackling system! I know a pretty big assumption, but what's wrong with being optimistic?

# 7 PioneerRaptor @ 03/30/11 10:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ng-concussions

There's a confirmation I guess. It includes quotes from Peter Moore.

# 8 PantherBeast_OS @ 03/30/11 10:40 PM
This is a sign that they may be redoing the injury system some in madden this year and also the D tackling might change some aswell. It sounds good to me. If it is in the game then it is madden to.

# 9 davidd @ 03/30/11 11:45 PM
great job EA, love the message and love the realism. Bravo

# 10 LBzrule @ 03/31/11 12:36 AM
They better not occur as much as broken collar bones do in Madden 11.

# 11 mestevo @ 03/31/11 12:52 AM
Guessing we won't have the option to call it a concussion or a neck injury...

Good to hear!

# 12 azdawgpound @ 03/31/11 03:29 AM
i hope if they are redoing the injury thing that they put more into the qb's getting hurt its just dumb that u can lay out the qb on almost every play and they pop up and act like nothing happens game after game after game and we all know in the nfl most qb's don't play all 16 games because of injuries,also they need to fix the injuries for kickers and punters as well i've played 6 seasons and not one kicker or punter has been on the IR or injury list and just like in the nfl thats not real either cause almost every yr a team loses a kicker or punter to some kind of injury.

# 13 Step2001 @ 03/31/11 04:08 AM
Wear and Tear Injury System! That's what I am waiting for to be announced. This was in NFL Head Coach 09. It needed to be tweaked but overall it was great.

Injuries should carryover into the following season. With Players having surgeries after the season. Then get reports through the entire offseason on the player recovery. Sometimes a player might have complications from the surgery (like Brady did a few years ago) and prolong the recovery.

# 14 Nev @ 03/31/11 04:09 AM
Its a cool idea but I've just got a feeling its gonna get abused. Like Madden 11 with the random broken collarbone.

If players get taken out on big hits then yes, but not every wrap up tackle.

# 15 Icarus2k9 @ 03/31/11 04:58 AM
Quick qualifier: Agree 100% with this move. It's a violent, violent game, but we don't want to ever encourage the Ironman mentality if it means you end up getting spoonfed for the rest of your life. Also interesting to see comments underneath Peter Moore's stance hating on the move for ruining teh videogamez.

Qualifier off: Doesn't a story like this prove how hard it will be for Madden to ever include certain things the fans want? The NFL license brings with it a lot of responsibility to market the game the way the NFL wants it, and this story hints at that relationship.

What happens to RTP tackles if you feel responsible to teach children how to hit? Or double tackles? Hell, the hit stick? Making sure there are form tackles and less successful non-form tackles puts strain on those systems. Similarly, what about off-field antics from players in Franchise? Or celebrations? Or players jawing and getting in each others face after a play - which I always think is a big one that Madden misses because it wants to produce the sanitised product the NFL demands. We end up with the odd player picking each other up and then heading to the huddle like good boys.

I always have to bring it back to FIFA, because I know FIFA, but that only allows bone crunching tackles because you have a sanctioned system of punishments in place in the form of red cards. They've only just added players complaining, and that's a short and tame animation that punishes the player complaining because they're not ready for the quick free kick.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there. It's just an interesting product of the licenses, and while I 100% agree with this change for the game, in other areas it has hurt the concept of "everything you see on Sunday"

# 16 guaps @ 03/31/11 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Implemented correctly, I like this idea lot.
This! If implemented correctly it would be great, but Madden's injury system hasn't been fantastic so far. Random injuries occurring at random tackles, injured players being subbed back in the game despite being unavailable etc. etc.

I like that sports video games are focusing on player safety as long as it's implemented in a cohesive and consistent manner, so we'll also see correct flags for hitting defenseless players as those two things are linked.

# 17 guaps @ 03/31/11 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus2k9
I always have to bring it back to FIFA, because I know FIFA, but that only allows bone crunching tackles because you have a sanctioned system of punishments in place in the form of red cards. They've only just added players complaining, and that's a short and tame animation that punishes the player complaining because they're not ready for the quick free kick.
This is off-topic, but FIFA's producer has already publicly said that FIFA 11's set-piece system is "lame" and "last-gen". The year before with he slammed the ratings and that was fixed for FIFA 11. I find it quite refreshing that FIFA's producer has this approach, unlike Madden's producers who refuse to acknowledge anything unless it's been triple-approved by marketing.

# 18 RedZoneD25 @ 03/31/11 07:34 AM
I echo the overall sentiment of the other replies...I love the idea and appreciate the realism, I just hope it's tuned to be somewhat realistic.

# 19 ThisIsReality @ 03/31/11 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 007
Does this means the Steelers will be fined in franchise mode?
James Harrison retires one season afterwards. Reason (Bankruptcy)

# 20 maddenps2 @ 03/31/11 01:55 PM
I question why stories like this, and new plays are boasted about so much. The inclusion of this should be something to be expected.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.