Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

With the recent news of EA Sports launching its next NBA simulation title in the Fall of 2012, how does that make you feel, about the upcoming NBA 2K12? Nervous, confident? Let us know.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Galarius @ 04/06/11 12:44 PM
I hope they expand the classic teams and also the VIP system...VIP works better this year than any other, but they still need to tweak it a little and also allow the use of VIP opponents in Association, not just Exhibition games...also allow users to upload the game or player signature highlights as a whole just like The Show does...not just individual play highlights

# 62 TreyIM2 @ 04/06/11 12:54 PM
I think that 2K will get better. The hint at analog dribbling is probably where they are heading this year and "analog dribbling" 2.0 will be upon us by the time Elite 13 drops. To me, that's really what NBA 2K truly needs at this point becuz my 2K11 has been catching crazy dust becuz of the lack of that and 2K knows that analog dribbling is next level...although Live had been doing it for a while...but didn't 2K, at one point? I forget.

# 63 coolcras7 @ 04/06/11 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
I think that 2K will get better. The hint at analog dribbling is probably where they are heading this year and "analog dribbling" 2.0 will be upon us by the time Elite 13 drops. To me, that's really what NBA 2K truly needs at this point becuz my 2K11 has been catching crazy dust becuz of the lack of that and 2K knows that analog dribbling is next level...although Live had been doing it for a while...but didn't 2K, at one point? I forget.
Anology dribble would mean 2k would have to revamp their control scheme, and take away the shot stick never going to happen.

# 64 LionsFanNJ @ 04/06/11 01:06 PM
2k will be fine. For one its not like Elite/Live is never coming back. Who knows what they're going to do to try and dig into 2k's slice of the pie. I'm sure 2k knows this and won't rest on their laurels.

# 65 bigsmallwood @ 04/06/11 01:08 PM
NBA 2K has never rested on their laurels and have always put out a great product. I do not expect this to change and anybody that insinuates has been absent from the B-ball gaming world for the last 11 years. 2K12 will deliver, BIG!

# 66 Altimus @ 04/06/11 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
I'm confident 2K12 will be just fine. The competition is on-hold not gone.

Besides.....I think 2K prides themselves in basketball.
Very well said.

# 67 eDotd @ 04/06/11 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d11king
Woooooooow. This is all that needs to be said, period. Best response I've seen so far on this thread. If this was Facebook, I'd like this, remove my like, and like it again and repeat the process until myspace gets popular. Apply no homo wherever applicable.

As most people know, the only reason there is to not liking 2K, is

A. You suck
B. You'd rather be dunking from the free-throw line with Andrew Bynum and love watching the nets go up before the ball gets there.

This isn't NBA Jam and it's not NBA Live 2005. It makes me wonder, if people think a sim basketball video game, is good graphics and realistic faces. 2K is going to absolutely destroy EA, you really think 2K even considers them competition, seriously. 2K gradually improves their games year by year, and will continue to do so. Keep in mind, Madden is falling off, and 2K can't make a football game, I'm sure they've been really upset about that since 2005.

Yes there are things that need to be improved, but I swear you'd think people would realize it's a video game. People are asking for Jack Nicholson on the sideline, or post game interviews with players talking off a script.

Passing is good in this game, not perfect but good. Dribbling is perfect, too many people complaining about isomotion moves cause they can't do em. I seriously think people need to jump in practice mode and stay there for 5 hours, instead of jumping straight into games.

Most of you aren't good anyway, and just need practice. If you'd notice, none of the great 2K users, such as myself, complain about anything.
You know that you can NOT like a game right? You don't have to suck or not appreciate sim basketball, it just might not be your cup of tea. I know that you've mastered this game in and out and I'm sure no one here will ever come close to beating you but that doesn't mean they can't form their own opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
It's been done before.
I love how we're mentioning 2K7 in the same breathe as 2K11. 2K7 was great for it's time, I doubt anyone would argue that, I still remember how hype the forum was before its release, but it is trash compared to 2K11. For every problem in 2K11 you can name 5 more in 2K7. Gameplay/Presentation/Feature wise (aka the entire game) 2K11 puts 2K7 to shame, and I'm not sure what you posted is true.

Quote:
- When I pass to my Center who's cutting from the block to the foul line the pass shouldn't lead him all the way to the 3pt line where he's completely useless. 2K7
I won't even touch on this one. Passing in 2K7 shouldn't be compared to any 2K that succeeded it. The full-court cheesebombs for an easy layup and lead pass into the paint were in full effect that year.

Quote:
- When I perform the behind-the-back action on the controller there shouldn't be a 2 second delay before my player actually dribbles behind his back. 2K7
Ah yes the 'twitch' (or whatever you want to call them) controls in 2K7, where you got any move you wanted at any time you wanted. Also defied everything we as humans are forced to respect on a daily basis (physics, momentum) by allowing you to start and stop at literally any point you wanted to. Loved me some Hopstep-spin ricotta.

Quote:
- When I get bumped by my defender I shouldn't have to stubble back five feet and take five dribbles before my player regains his balance. 2K7

Nope no stumbling, more like complete denial. People already forgot the Choops defensive stance? Where if you ran into a guy you completely stopped like you hit a brick wall?

Quote:
- When a two-player animation starts, the eight other players on the court should slide and morph out of the way so the animation can be completed. 2K7
Because there were no (or very little) two-player animations in 2K7. In fact there was very little interaction between players at all in 2K7.

3-4 years ago I would've agreed with most of your points but after playing Live 10/2K11, and then going back and playing 2K7...it's not close dude. I don't see how any "sim" head can argue that.

As for the original question, yes I'm completely confident. I've never met anyone from EA or been there so I don't know what the attitude is, but the word resting is not even in the building @ VC. Dudes are hardcore. You don't come in at 8 in the morning on a Saturday, leave at 10/11 at night and then come back at 7 the next morning, that's just not natural.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with Jordan and the whole classic teams for 2K12, but there are thousands of people just like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by achieveduser
As far as NBA games goes, I only played Live series in 90s before 2k11. Just bought 2k11 because of Jordan addition. So I'm not familiar with what kind reputation 2K team had in the past
that accounted for a chunk of this year's sales. Sales wise, I don't know if 2K12 will be on the same level, but I'm confident with the minds and talent behind every aspect of the game.

Also, let's not mistake being confident with being satisfied with the options available to us. Competition is always a good thing. Even if one turns out better than the other it's still nice to being able to change it up once in a while and see how games handle similar situations differently.

If EA has to wait until 2012 to get their ish together that's cool with me. Just make sure it's together, don't just tout features and throw a demo on XBL with no sign of any of the features you were pimping before its release.

# 68 ChiTownKid @ 04/06/11 02:05 PM
All I can say is, NBA 2K11 is a freaking work of art. I would it rank near the top, if not AT the top, of the best sports video games of all time. It's OBVIOUS that the people behind it put a LOT of effort and love into it. It's just so good on so many levels.

I have a hard time believing that those same people would just take the easy road and, if nothing else, risk tarnishing the reputation of this awesome product that they worked so hard to produce. So, in that regard, I am confident in the next installment, and will buy it on release day.

That being said, I have ZERO faith in corporate loyalty or decency, and I believe that anything is possible. If 2K lets NBA go the way that EA did with Madden, 2K13 will NOT get my money, period.

# 69 kennyacid @ 04/06/11 02:12 PM
2k is not ea so yes

# 70 Boilerbuzz @ 04/06/11 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDotd
As for the original question, yes I'm completely confident. I've never met anyone from EA or been there so I don't know what the attitude is, but the word resting is not even in the building @ VC. Dudes are hardcore. You don't come in at 8 in the morning on a Saturday, leave at 10/11 at night and then come back at 7 the next morning, that's just not natural.
Damn. A view of the inner workings of VC. Thanks for that post man.

# 71 spankdatazz22 @ 04/06/11 02:38 PM
EXTREMELY confident for 2K12. Love that we haven't heard a peep out of them about the success of 2K11, or that they haven't been on the boards trying to hype 2K12. They seem totally focused on what they want to accomplish

# 72 blues rocker @ 04/06/11 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyr326
While I am satisfied with NBA 2K11. It is definitely a great game, but I hope they can find a way to smooth out the controls/animations (maybe a refreshed dribbling system that uses the right analog stick with an L2 modifier) That would be my ideal dribbling control system that almost mimics Elite's but will allow 2K to keep its crown.

If they fail to do so next year, I predict EA's NBA Elite will regain its stature like it has been able to do with games such as FIFA, and its reboot of the NHL franchise.

Does anybody agree?
I don't think going to a right stick dribbling system is the way to go. I used to think that, but after getting my hands on 2k11 and seeing how 2k was able to give me a great dribbling system only using the left stick, i'm convinced that 2k has it right. there's really nothing to complain about with 2k11's dribbling. people who can't dribble in 2k simply aren't following the directions, or they just don't have hand coordination, in which case they shouldn't be playing video games to begin with.

one thing 2k could do is offer both control schemes, so you could choose to use the right stick for dribbling, or you could use the "classic" control scheme with the shot stick like in 2k11. i don't see 2k getting rid of the shot stick just for the hell of it, but they might offer both control schemes...2k is pretty good about offering multiple options for people so they can can appeal to everyone..but to get rid of 2k11's control scheme would piss off a lot of people and alienate the people who were happy with it...here's the thing....there's a reason 2k11 is so highly rated and so loved...and the control scheme is part of that...to change it would be to risk screwing up something that didn't need to be changed...sometimes you just need to accept when something is already right and stop over-thinking it.

2k11 is so good, there's not much they can improve anyway. they can clean up some animations, smooth out some animation transitions, but the meat of the game is pretty much nailed down...it would be a mistake for them to rework their whole foundation in order to be "new"...that would only lead to years of bad games until they could "fix" all the problems with the new foundation. they would basically be taking a step backwards and would have to work for years just to make it back to where they already were in 2k11. making a drastic change in the foundation of your game only leads to a buggy game that takes years to fix. 2k has slowly built upon their game each year, and 2k11 was the result of sticking to that foundation and slowly fixing what needed to be improved each year...the engine of 2k is the result of years of improvement and fine tuning...to start over now would be insanity.

as long as they stick with what they have and just touch up some minor things here and there, i will be happy.

sports games kind of have a problem because they are expected to be released EVERY year. they are the only type of game that follows this model. as a result, they feel extra pressure to change and add to their game to make this year's version seem "NEW"...this can lead to companies changing things that don't need to be changed just for the sake of making the game seem different than last year...as a result, they can actually end up making the game worse rather than improving it. now most sports games actually have enough things that need to be fixed in order to justify releasing a new version each year...but i can honestly say that i don't think 2k even needs to release a new game next year, because there aren't any major problems that i feel need to be fixed...i would be happy if they just waited 2 years and charged a 20 dollar fee for the updated the rosters and ratings. 2k11 really is that good. but they won't do that because they are EXPECTED to release a game every year, and they would be missing out on potential revenue from releasing a new game...

# 73 Dazraz @ 04/06/11 05:20 PM
With so much progress having been made with 2K11 it will be tough for 2K to maintain the same momentum for 2K12 with or without competition from EA.

I think 2K12 may be a more general yearly upgrade with less surprises up it's sleeve.
Hopefully this year the NBA Today feature will be properly integrated into Association Mode.

# 74 bb09red @ 04/06/11 05:32 PM
Its not like the pressure is off them that much. Has NBA Live or "Elite", even been that competitive with the NBA 2k? Not Really. I hope that 2k takes advantage of the clear air and implements a new college game and take over EA's dominance in the industry from the past... but I'm probably aiming too high...

# 75 CX1329 @ 04/06/11 06:05 PM
I'm confident, yes. Like I said in another thread, it makes sense for 2K to keep working hard on the game, so they don't stagnate and lose fans as a result. Pro Evolution Soccer, anyone? Konami rested on their laurels when they realized they had a MUCH better game than their competitor, and that allowed EA to catch up with them.

Customer loyalty has to be earned over time, and can be lost in a snap. That leads me to conclude that 2K will keep working hard if they don't want to end up like Konami and PES.

# 76 TreyIM2 @ 04/06/11 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
Anology dribble would mean 2k would have to revamp their control scheme, and take away the shot stick never going to happen.
Guess you didn't read that interview with Mike Wang and that other dude from 2K, last year, eh?

# 77 coolcras7 @ 04/06/11 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
Guess you didn't read that interview with Mike Wang and that other dude from 2K, last year, eh?
Actually I did, but refresh my memory where they said they wanted to take out the shot stick and replace it with analog dribble system, better yet post a link.

# 78 SamSosa67 @ 04/06/11 07:30 PM
Lol at 2K11 being overrated. The game is fantastic. MJ is just the icing on the cake.

# 79 coolcras7 @ 04/06/11 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john5153
2k11 easily one of the best sim basketball games around... the problem is that it is built on sliders and u must tweak sliders for a few weeks and here and there after updates to get the best game out of it.....sometimes it can be too much work... but at the same time.... nba live has never blown it out the water so to say that 2k sucks and your waiting on live... doesnt make any sense.....
You mean they give you the option to adjust the game to suit your individual playing style, this is not a bad thing and is completely optional.

# 80 Dashdagreat @ 04/06/11 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d11king
Woooooooow. This is all that needs to be said, period. Best response I've seen so far on this thread. If this was Facebook, I'd like this, remove my like, and like it again and repeat the process until myspace gets popular. Apply no homo wherever applicable.

As most people know, the only reason there is to not liking 2K, is

A. You suck
B. You'd rather be dunking from the free-throw line with Andrew Bynum and love watching the nets go up before the ball gets there.

This isn't NBA Jam and it's not NBA Live 2005. It makes me wonder, if people think a sim basketball video game, is good graphics and realistic faces. 2K is going to absolutely destroy EA, you really think 2K even considers them competition, seriously. 2K gradually improves their games year by year, and will continue to do so. Keep in mind, Madden is falling off, and 2K can't make a football game, I'm sure they've been really upset about that since 2005.

Yes there are things that need to be improved, but I swear you'd think people would realize it's a video game. People are asking for Jack Nicholson on the sideline, or post game interviews with players talking off a script.

Passing is good in this game, not perfect but good. Dribbling is perfect, too many people complaining about isomotion moves cause they can't do em. I seriously think people need to jump in practice mode and stay there for 5 hours, instead of jumping straight into games.

Most of you aren't good anyway, and just need practice. If you'd notice, none of the great 2K users, such as myself, complain about anything.
Everything i was gone say is right there! Well said! ( clicking the like button ).
People dont like 2k because they havent LEARNED the game. When i first got it i practiced. I dont try to find glitches and all that, i actually used a bum team and learned how to shoot with EVERYONE ( not just the stars, but EVERYONE) learned their range, plus, negatives, dribble moves, so bout time i went online i was BEASTING! I play with the damn Sacremento Kings and im damn near unbeatable because im not predictable. I can go for 30 with anyone on any giving game. THATS SIM! THATS WHAT HAPPENS IN REAL LIFE! Thats why people have career games. What alot of people dont realize is every game its someone different on your team who will play very well just like in real life. If u quit forcing 30 shots with Lebron and Kobe and becoming so damn predictable, you would learn how to play the game. I play with bum teams because it forces you to play a straight up game and learn how to play with that team

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.