Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

Tradition Sports Online has posted a new blog going over improvements to zone defense, new tackling and more in NCAA Football 12.

Quote:
"There's no more warping or sliding into position for the tackle," associate producer Ben Haumiller explained. "Now the tackle doesn't take place until the defender makes contact with the ball carrier, and this really brings momentum into play. This is a big change in the animation system and point of impact. So basically, the ball carrier and the defender would get close to each other, in last year's game, and the engine would warp them together into a tackle and the defender would actually slide into position because we only had eight spots where a wrap tackle could begin. But now, no matter where I hit you, that's where the wrap is going to begin. You don't see a guy slide over and make a tackle. Now he's trying to make the tackle at the spot where he first makes contact. This also comes into play with gang tackles. You'll see one player come in and stand the ball carrier up, then another player will come in and join on. And actually, because of the momentum and how that second defender is flying in, he might even knock that initial tackler off the pile and steal the tackle. Or you might see the first guy try to make a tackle, the second guy make a hit, then a third guy coming in with a shoulder trying to clean it up, but each of these hits will help change the course of the ball carrier."

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 khaliib @ 04/21/11 03:02 PM
Just please let the Ratings of the players on the field dictate how good zones etc... will be covered, not just a lock-down defense across the board.

Also, I hope they don't make the new/updated Zone Defense so overpowered that passes are knocked down/INT left and right.

Just make ratings mean something PLEASE!

# 22 Gotmadskillzson @ 04/21/11 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
I think the season-ending or long term injuries weren't too bad, but the short term ones, or even short in-game ones (for say a series or quarter etc) seemed excessive. I'd have my RB and QB (who both have good injury ratings) suffer a minor injury every game, sometimes more than once.
Kind of funny, I was playing as Arizona St last night and for a 8 play stretch there it was a player injured on every play.

# 23 jeremym480 @ 04/21/11 03:23 PM
Me=

# 24 shaunlmason @ 04/21/11 03:51 PM
I agree there should be more injuries. After each game, there should be a pretty good size list of players with minor injuries like sprained ankle, dislocated finger, etc.

# 25 ActLikeYouCrow @ 04/21/11 04:15 PM
yeah more minor injuries is a good thing with fatigue being a bigger factor as well

# 26 Seanzie @ 04/21/11 04:55 PM
I'm just concerned that Arkansas State will play the zone defense just as well as Oklahoma. Hopefully this isn't the case, but too often in NCAA 11 did I see 65 OVR CBs sticking my 88 OVR WRs.

# 27 drifterbub @ 04/21/11 08:38 PM
I'm glad that zone coverages got a work over. Long overdue.

# 28 Go Blue Rules @ 04/21/11 09:14 PM
IDK, they can fix anything that EA wants to but I fear the same thing as others have said, they need to have the ratings mean something. Just like last year they claimed that with the new "locomotion" that speed and acceleration would mean something yet my DL picks up a fumbled ball on the 50 and nobody can catch him. lol Same thing with receptions, receivers catches the ball behind the DB and then they always run stride for stride or the DB always misses the leaping tackle. My point is EA always says that someting matters and then one gets the game just to find out it's still basically the same. I have to wait and see clips first this year. Like others have said it's nice if EA really fixed the zone coverage but not at the cost of every DB looking like Charles Woodson. Otherwise we're back to square one and this is why EA needs to figure out how to get ratings to really mean something.

# 29 PaperBoyx703 @ 04/21/11 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue Rules
IDK, they can fix anything that EA wants to but I fear the same thing as others have said, they need to have the ratings mean something. Just like last year they claimed that with the new "locomotion" that speed and acceleration would mean something yet my DL picks up a fumbled ball on the 50 and nobody can catch him. lol Same thing with receptions, receivers catches the ball behind the DB and then they always run stride for stride or the DB always misses the leaping tackle. My point is EA always says that someting matters and then one gets the game just to find out it's still basically the same. I have to wait and see clips first this year. Like others have said it's nice if EA really fixed the zone coverage but not at the cost of every DB looking like Charles Woodson. Otherwise we're back to square one and this is why EA needs to figure out how to get ratings to really mean something.
Locomotion had to do with change in direction. Like running full speed and making a 90 degree turns will cause you to lose momentum. Speed and Acc mattered because those with high ratings could regain that moment quicker than ones with lower ratings in those fields.

As far as the D linemen running fast and no one catching them.That wasnt locomotion that was speed threshold. You need to lower that value to make the speed and accel reflect the actual rating in the game. anywhere from 0-30 was good area to have it. Mines was at 0 mostly.

# 30 Go Blue Rules @ 04/21/11 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_XaVo7o3_l
Locomotion had to do with change in direction. Like running full speed and making a 90 degree turns will cause you to lose momentum. Speed and Acc mattered because those with high ratings could regain that moment quicker than ones with lower ratings in those fields.

As far as the D linemen running fast and no one catching them.That wasnt locomotion that was speed threshold. You need to lower that value to make the speed and accel reflect the actual rating in the game. anywhere from 0-30 was good area to have it. Mines was at 0 mostly.
EERRRRR, I replied once but I lost my internet connection so this will be shorter than my first reply. Anyways, thank you for the clarification. I'm still hoping that there'll be a happy medium and it's not totally impossible for even the best DBs get burnt once in a while. Go Blue!!!

# 31 DerkontheOS @ 04/21/11 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
I almost spewed on myself when I read this:

"This year, defenders will play more realistically inside their assignment. They aggressively pick up players who enter their zones, playing with leverage and using realistic angles to better defend against a pass to a WR inside their assigned area. Defenders will also communicate and point out WR’s to their teammates as they leave and enter different areas of the defense. The defense plays as a more cohesive unit instead of each player appearing to be on an island just defending their area."
This is the funniest thing I have ever read on here

# 32 PaperBoyx703 @ 04/21/11 10:57 PM
Quote:
EERRRRR, I replied once but I lost my internet connection so this will be shorter than my first reply. Anyways, thank you for the clarification. I'm still hoping that there'll be a happy medium and it's not totally impossible for even the best DBs get burnt once in a while. Go Blue!!!
No problem. Maize n Blue could use a nice defensive boost anyways. Go Blue.

# 33 Knight9299 @ 04/21/11 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzie
I'm just concerned that Arkansas State will play the zone defense just as well as Oklahoma. Hopefully this isn't the case, but too often in NCAA 11 did I see 65 OVR CBs sticking my 88 OVR WRs.
Or OLBs keeping up with slot receivers, even when they were no where near as fast as the slot receiver?

# 34 RynoAid @ 04/22/11 10:13 AM
ratings still are a main driving force. It was much easier to move the football against Idaho than it was Alabama.. no doubt about it.

# 35 Go Blue Rules @ 04/22/11 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_XaVo7o3_l
No problem. Maize n Blue could use a nice defensive boost anyways. Go Blue.
LOL, I know, I believe EA gave us a B+ defensive rating last year when it probably should had been a F------... But heck, I won't complain. I just hope we don't get burned this year though for I believe that the D will be much improved but I guess this is another topic so I'll stop. Go Blue!!!

# 36 carvis#15 @ 04/22/11 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
Lol. Heck naw, you silly.

# 37 carvis#15 @ 04/22/11 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston_Tiger
I felt the same way. I was being very cautious with the information but now that we are getting hands on reports form different places I am now very excited.

I am now like this...
Hahahahahahahaha!

# 38 RynoAid @ 04/22/11 08:33 PM
Quote:
LOL, I know, I believe EA gave us a B+ defensive rating last year when it probably should had been a F------... But heck, I won't complain. I just hope we don't get burned this year though for I believe that the D will be much improved but I guess this is another topic so I'll stop. Go Blue!!!
It doesn't hurt that the Exec. Producer is a Michigan man....

# 39 PaperBoyx703 @ 04/22/11 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid
It doesn't hurt that the Exec. Producer is a Michigan man....
Why No, no it doesn't.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.