Home
Madden 12 News Post

The Fantasy Football Informer has posted a new interview featuring new EA Sports Football GM Cam Weber. The interview touched many points, namely the changes to secondary play in Madden NFL 12.

Quote:
"Our defensive secondary play has received a major upgrade this year.” Cam went on to tell me how zone coverage behavior was addressed and that the AI(artificial intelligence) was tuned and given greater depth. “You’re going to see a major change in that (defensive secondary AI) in Madden NFL 12."

To read the full post, click here.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Jarodd21 @ 04/23/11 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Wait a minute. A db can recognize the wr is running a fly pattern , and then in turn run his coverage to play the fly pattern. Why is this a troubling video to see???

I do not agree.

I definitely agree with you. Nothing looks weird about that. It was just a fly pattern.

# 42 kjcheezhead @ 04/23/11 06:20 PM
Quote:
Wait a minute. A db can recognize the wr is running a fly pattern , and then in turn run his coverage to play the fly pattern. Why is this a troubling video to see???

I do not agree.
When have you ever seen coverage like that in real life? Dbs don't run in front of a wr like that unless they are physic. What if the wr is really running a deep in route?

I know what people will say, maybe the reason he is in that position would be that the ball is already in the air, but from his body language he isn't playing his man or the ball. That means its a good chance the db knows the wrs route, just like in last years game if you ask me.

# 43 roadman @ 04/23/11 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
When have you ever seen coverage like that in real life? Dbs don't run in front of a wr like that unless they are physic. What if the wr is really running a deep in route?

I know what people will say, maybe the reason he is in that position would be that the ball is already in the air, but from his body language he isn't playing his man or the ball. That means its a good chance the db knows the wrs route, just like in last years game if you ask me.
I would hope a smart DB in real life would be able to detect a fly pattern. I've seen Tramon Williams out cover his man a lot on fly patterns. Sam Sheilds for that matter, too.

# 44 kjcheezhead @ 04/23/11 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
This doesn't even make any sense.

People aren't supposed to enjoy NCAA if they don't like Madden? They're two different games. That's like saying if you don't like NHL, you shouldn't like FIFA because they're both developed by EA Canada.
Come on, they are not two completely different games like NHL and FIFA. They share the basic core, "engine", whatever you want to call it. It's not like you wouldn't have the slightest clue how to play NCAA is you've only played Madden your whole life. I understand gamers preferring one over the other, but to hear people claim NCAA is a 10 and Madden is a 6.5 just sounds ridiculous imo.

# 45 kjcheezhead @ 04/23/11 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I would hope a smart DB in real life would be able to detect a fly pattern. I've seen Tramon Williams out cover his man a lot on fly patterns. Sam Sheilds for that matter, too.
Without ever looking at his man or the ball? At the very least, you have to admit the animation looks terrible even if you think it is good coverage to be so smart to jump a fly route, then zig zag wildly across the wr and end up missing the play on the ball anyways.

# 46 K_GUN @ 04/23/11 07:11 PM
Quote:

I do not agree.
I never played in the NFL or even college...but does the DB usually run AHEAD of the WR?...cuz in that vid he does

# 47 roadman @ 04/23/11 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
I never played in the NFL or even college...but does the DB usually run AHEAD of the WR?...cuz in that vid he does
I've seen DB's outrun the WR and make int's.

# 48 K_GUN @ 04/23/11 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I've seen DB's outrun the WR and make int's.
really?...so the DB will run ahead of a WR..look back then slow down & swat at the ball?

i've seen DB's outrun WR on overthrown passes and make a pick but can't recall seeing a DB do would he did in that vid

guess i should watch more football

# 49 RGiles36 @ 04/23/11 07:43 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000...ys-defense-INT

Not sure if the above adds anything to this discussion...the defender doesn't stop and attempt a swat.

# 50 roadman @ 04/23/11 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36

Not sure if the above adds anything to this discussion...the defender doesn't stop and attempt a swat.
Thank you, RG!

# 51 roadman @ 04/23/11 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
really?...so the DB will run ahead of a WR..look back then slow down & swat at the ball?

i've seen DB's outrun WR on overthrown passes and make a pick but can't recall seeing a DB do would he did in that vid

guess i should watch more football
Maybe I should watch more football too.

No, I don't see many CB's make a swat attempt at the ball, but mostly, I was referring to this statement made. CB's who outrun the WR are not psychic.

Dbs don't run in front of a wr like that unless they are physic.

# 52 kjcheezhead @ 04/23/11 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36

One major difference. The db is looking at Schaub right from the snap and watches him throw the pass. The NCAA defender is looking straight ahead the whole time, not bothering to look at the qb or wr or for even for the ball.

Edit: After looking at the Cowboys vid again, I don't think that was man coverage at all. I think the db is playing a deep zone.

# 53 roadman @ 04/23/11 09:09 PM
Quote:
One major difference. The db is looking at Schaub right from the snap and watches him throw the pass. The NCAA defender is looking straight ahead the whole time, not bothering to look at the qb or wr or for even for the ball.
We only see 10 yds of the NCAA defender and it was at the end of the pass. It is odd the defender doesn't look back at the WR or the ball.

# 54 PVarck31 @ 04/23/11 09:59 PM
I think you can make a case on both fronts. It does look a little weird, however we are not seeing the whole play. Its about 10 yards and zoomed it. It is entirely possible that the DB was in a deep zone and not man.

On the other hand it could very well be a design flaw like we have seen so many times. If this is the case, the good news is that defense is a huge priority this year. Not to mention they have time to tune the game still, so its possible it could be fixed.

Either way I think what we have seen thus far with defense and tackling show an improvement over 11. If this play happens once in a while I can live with it.

# 55 roadman @ 04/23/11 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
I think you can make a case on both fronts. It does look a little weird, however we are not seeing the whole play. Its about 10 yards and zoomed it. It is entirely possible that the DB was in a deep zone and not man.

On the other hand it could very well be a design flaw like we have seen so many times. If this is the case, the good news is that defense is a huge priority this year. Not to mention they have time to tune the game still, so its possible it could be fixed.

Either way I think what we have seen thus far with defense and tackling show an improvement over 11. If this play happens once in a while I can live with it.
Well stated on all fronts, I agree.

# 56 BlueNGold @ 04/23/11 10:24 PM
Quote:
Come on, they are not two completely different games like NHL and FIFA. They share the basic core, "engine", whatever you want to call it. It's not like you wouldn't have the slightest clue how to play NCAA is you've only played Madden your whole life. I understand gamers preferring one over the other, but to hear people claim NCAA is a 10 and Madden is a 6.5 just sounds ridiculous imo.
I've never seen anybody say "NCAA is a 10", so I don't know where you're getting that from.

If you can't or couldn't see that NCAA was much better than Madden last year, then I don't know what to tell you. Just because they're both EA football games and have similarities doesn't mean anyone that doesn't like one game is crazy for liking the other. There are differences between the two, and no I'm not talking about the fact one is an NFL game and the other is an NCAA game.

Maybe my NHL/FIFA comparison wasn't totally accurate, but what do you have to say about someone who might have liked College Hoops but didn't like NBA 2K (or vice versa) or liked NBA Live but didn't like NCAA Basketball/March Madness?

# 57 Senator Palmer @ 04/23/11 10:35 PM
Anyone who says that NCAA and Madden played the same last year because the shared engine couldn't have spent much time playing NCAA. There were sharp differences on the field between both games. Forget about the presentation differences. For one, the locomotion was tuned completely different. There were flaws in Madden that you never saw in NCAA: the four defensive linemen getting bowled over at once, the DT instant rip/swim move, etc.

NCAA was simply a lot more polished. The run blocking was better, you could get sacks with a 4 man rush, and the snap count... in Madden it's completely useless. Pop a copy of NCAA 11 in and change up your snap count and see what happens.

# 58 Skyboxer @ 04/23/11 10:38 PM
Quote:

I do not agree.
There isn't (Still) no head tracking which makes its even worse looking when the DB makes a pathetic attempt and the ball.
Sure if he knew the ball was in the air and was tracking it..ok... but with no head tracking it just looks stupid.
Also...The WR could stop and cut right(Before ball is thrown) and the DB will do the move exactly the same time.

This gen FB has been very subpar on many levels.

# 59 BlueNGold @ 04/23/11 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Anyone who says that NCAA and Madden played the same last year because the shared engine couldn't have spent much time playing NCAA. There were sharp differences on the field between both games. Forget about the presentation differences. For one, the locomotion was tuned completely different. There were flaws in Madden that you never saw in NCAA: the four defensive linemen getting bowled over at once, the DT instant rip/swim move, etc.

NCAA was simply a lot more polished. The run blocking was better, you could get sacks with a 4 man rush, and the snap count... in Madden it's completely useless. Pop a copy of NCAA 11 in and change up your snap count and see what happens.
Plus things like having each school's authentic offenses, the new no-huddle playcalling system and Dynasty being miles ahead of Madden's franchise all made NCAA much, much better than Madden last year.

To say you shouldn't like both if you're not a fan of one is ridiculous.

# 60 Senator Palmer @ 04/23/11 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Plus things like having each school's authentic offenses, the new no-huddle playcalling system and Dynasty being miles ahead of Madden's franchise all made NCAA much, much better than Madden last year.

To say you shouldn't like both if you're not a fan of one is ridiculous.
Yeah, I didn't want to get into a whole extended list, because I'd be repeating myself, but NCAA got so much right last year and it's pretty telling that the last Madden patch that released was aimed to mimic the tuning of NCAA, per Ian's admission.

They weren't the same game, similar but not the same, unless the comparison stops at football and EA.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.