Home
Madden 12 News Post

Check out the Madden NFL 12 article, over at Wired, where they talk about how the game is poised for unprecedented realism. They've also posted the following video.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 teebee @ 04/28/11 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Why do people still not understand its a highlight video entitles "Peyton Hillis Goes Beast Mode"? They aren't going to show him getting 3 yard gains up the middle. Its like the draft right now. When they were showing Cam Newton videos they were all of him breaking tackles and scoring TDs with his feet and arm. That doesn't mean he scores every single play in real life. It'd be pretty silly to show your average play when trying to hype up a player.
No way that's just rookie mode, that's the game engine that isn't going to change (read ChaseB's article please). It's just the way Madden plays for better or for worse. Keep hoping though!

# 62 nyj721 @ 04/28/11 11:02 PM
People keep saying it looks like rookie mode, but to me it looks like pre-patch All-Madden on 11 with the user playing as Pitt. Also he is mostly running over defensive backs, whom he has about 30-40 pounds on.

# 63 NoTiCe_O @ 04/28/11 11:03 PM
Hit stick low from Polamalu an he woulda been done

# 64 bigdfan76 @ 04/28/11 11:03 PM
Why are all those screen shots from Maden 11? Just thought that was wierd to have a video from 12 and screen shots from 11.

# 65 PVarck31 @ 04/28/11 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebee
No way that's just rookie mode, that's the game engine that isn't going to change (read ChaseB's article please). It's just the way Madden plays for better or for worse. Keep hoping though!
So I am confused. Do you think that every time Hillis touches the ball it will be a huge run? Or are you saying the offense in general will be over powered?

# 66 Senator Palmer @ 04/28/11 11:33 PM
Rookie mode? Hillis ran like this on All-Maden in '11, especially after the roster updates. He was a nightmare to try to stop.

# 67 PVarck31 @ 04/28/11 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Rookie mode? Hillis ran like this on All-Maden in '11, especially after the roster updates. He was a nightmare to try to stop.
He was a nightmare to stop in real life as well.

# 68 canes21 @ 04/28/11 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebee
The video is called "Peyton Hillis Goes Beast Mode" so coming in here and seeing a highlight tape of Peyton Hillis trucking defenders should not worry nor surprise you. When I think of a player going Beast Mode, I think of them having their best plays being shown, not their average 4 yard carries being shown.

# 69 inglip @ 04/29/11 02:49 AM
Can't wait for the demo for both this game and NCAA.

# 70 guaps @ 04/29/11 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
The video did look pretty smooth and the animations do look a bit better.

However, one area of concern is on the first play shown Brett Kiesel is suctioned right into the block of an offensive lineman. You will see that he has a direct line to Hillis and gets sucked right into the blocking animation. I thought they said they removed this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
Watching the video again, I noticed something that bothered me a little. I noticed in a few cases that the defenders ran into a block instead of going straight at Hillis. I understand this could be the fact its on rookie mode or the video was specifically tuned to let Hillis not be tackled. Its still something I have a minor concern about. Hopefully we can get a dev to chime in.

The more I think about it, I am pretty sure its gonna be a difficulty setting thing. The game is tuned to play the most realistic on all-pro, correct?
Yes, the game should be played in all-pro according to the devs.

Still it is an area of concern as momentum should be respected regardless of difficulty level. Just like the example ch46647 mentions. Keisel has a direct line to Hillis and the offensive lineman has a very bad blocking angle, yet instead of pushing Keisel off balance - to disrupt a potential tackle for loss - Keisel turns his back to Hillis and engages with the offensive lineman, when his momentum should have carried him forward into Hillis. Maybe this can be attributed to a possible Rookie difficulty level - I've personally stopped making excuses for EA's videos and comment only on what I see. If it cannot be attributed to a low difficulty level, it's either broken locomotion/collision detection or poorly designed linemen AI.

# 71 poopoop @ 04/29/11 03:29 AM
I get that Hillis is the cover athlete and they want to showcase him, but who is this video aimed at? Dudes just running over one of the best defenses in the league, breaking every tackle and making them look like children. Who gets amped watching this? It's not what you see on Sundays.

What's the problem? Is it impossible to make a Peyton Hillis highlight vid where he isn't breaking every tackle? No of course not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxjzOgMrk-c

Why is EA's idea of a highlight a vid where a player morphs into some monster who can't be tackled?

# 72 guaps @ 04/29/11 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
Why is EA's idea of a highlight a vid where a player morphs into some monster who can't be tackled?
Because that's generally how the game plays on default difficulty levels, especially in the last couple of years, with the inflated ratings, there has been some unstoppable players in the game

# 73 Exonerated @ 04/29/11 04:16 AM
No one wants to watch Peyton Hillis stuffed up the middle for a 2 yard gain.

Or going out to pass protection.

Haters gonna hate.

# 74 grismosw @ 04/29/11 06:03 AM
Not once was a LB anywhere near making a tackle...

# 75 poopoop @ 04/29/11 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated

Haters gonna hate.
Why does it need to be one or the other? I agree no one wants to watch a vid of hillis getting stuffed on 2 yard runs. I just don't see why we need vids with him having 50 yard touchdown runs where he breaks 4 tackles.

It should be possible to create a highlight vid that shows off big plays but is also grounded in realism. At the end of the day the goal is to simulate what happens in real life. Beast mode or not I just don't see how this vid fits into that. We can sit here and talk about how EA has it on rookie mode, or altered the ratings...but for what purpose? Why intentionally make the game look like NFL blitz if you're trying to impress someone? The biggest criticism of Madden is that it doesn't play realistically, why validate that criticism with vids like this?

# 76 Falcons11497 @ 04/29/11 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated

Haters gonna hate.
who's hating on anything?
he was just speaking his mind
as far as I'm concerned, hillis isnt even that great
there are plenty of better rb's than him

# 77 guaps @ 04/29/11 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickeeGreen
Phobia, you are dead on! I'm a die hard Madden fan...but I'm sorry this looks weak. Hillis is breaking Tecmo Bowl type tackles! He's the first Madden cover star from a losing team. The first with no Pro Bowl appearances at the time of his selection. He led NFL running backs in one statistical category last year - fumbles.… But this is what happens when you open up these decisions to "internet voting". A huge disappointment. I hope EA learns a lesson.
True. This video looks more arcade than anything. Additionally I fear the Hillis will get 'cover' bonus ratings, so he'll singlehanded turn the Browns into a winning team. Donny Moore has already been out stating the Hillis will be pleased with the ratings they are going to give him ...but then again the ratings have been off for years, so I'm not surprised if he ends up being a top 5 RB in Madden 12 or the #1 FB.

# 78 4solo @ 04/29/11 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
The video did look pretty smooth and the animations do look a bit better.

However, one area of concern is on the first play shown Brett Kiesel is suctioned right into the block of an offensive lineman. You will see that he has a direct line to Hillis and gets sucked right into the blocking animation. I thought they said they removed this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
Watching the video again, I noticed something that bothered me a little. I noticed in a few cases that the defenders ran into a block instead of going straight at Hillis. I understand this could be the fact its on rookie mode or the video was specifically tuned to let Hillis not be tackled. Its still something I have a minor concern about. Hopefully we can get a dev to chime in.

The more I think about it, I am pretty sure its gonna be a difficulty setting thing. The game is tuned to play the most realistic on all-pro, correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
Yes, the game should be played in all-pro according to the devs.

Still it is an area of concern as momentum should be respected regardless of difficulty level. Just like the example ch46647 mentions. Keisel has a direct line to Hillis and the offensive lineman has a very bad blocking angle, yet instead of pushing Keisel off balance - to disrupt a potential tackle for loss - Keisel turns his back to Hillis and engages with the offensive lineman, when his momentum should have carried him forward into Hillis. Maybe this can be attributed to a possible Rookie difficulty level - I've personally stopped making excuses for EA's videos and comment only on what I see. If it cannot be attributed to a low difficulty level, it's either broken locomotion/collision detection or poorly designed linemen AI.
This really has me concerned (I mean really) b/c they have been touting that suction has been removed from the game and that was suction. If suction is gone no way was he supposed to get block like that.

And I agree with most they could have stage the video a little better. Perhaps show him trucking someone maybe two people then him getting tackled. Or maybe show him getting consecutive hit tackled after breaking a tackle to really show off his toughness. Or at the very least used a crappy defense and not the Stellers.

# 79 PSRusse83 @ 04/29/11 01:28 PM
Suction is only mostly gone. This video and the Sizzler videos dont look that great but neither did M11s and I ended up liking that game just fine.

# 80 Broncos86 @ 04/29/11 01:43 PM
Sometimes I wonder....

It's a video showcasing the cover athlete and showing off some broken tackles and consecutive hits. That's all it is. Sometimes, things are what they seem to be. It's just a video to check out and see some of the collision.

Personally, I think it's a fine step in the right direction. I assume if you're not happy, you'd prefer Madden 11's system?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.