Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

NCAA Football 12 Designer Ben Haumiller talks about the changes to zone coverage in NCAA Football 12.

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Kaiser Wilhelm @ 05/03/11 09:04 PM
Is it just me or does it look like the D-Line actually gets off the line more realistically.

I do not have the most keen eye but it seems that the D-Line will move forward off the snap, rather than stand straight up and then forward.

The speed of the baackpeddal/sidestep still looks a little odd.

# 62 Card-me @ 05/03/11 09:10 PM
I'll be honest, that was very disappointing to watch. DBs were floating all over the place, linebackers were backpedaling faster than receivers were running, and all the defenders seemed to react way too fast. The problem last year was that the defenders never committed to a route, they just stood around and let receivers run around them, so certain routes were almost always open. What this video looks like is that the defenders still aren't committing to routes, they're just floating around super fast covering all routes and jumping ones as you push the button. What they really should be doing is copmmitting to a route and trusting somebody else to cover the other routes. Good passing schemes are designed so that you force a defender to go one way and leave the other guy open. That won't work if the defender can just float around covering both guys.

# 63 LionsFanNJ @ 05/03/11 10:06 PM
...Did I just see an edge rush??? Very nice. And i can deal with the sliding, its been in the game for years and i'm used to it. I would be nice if i got tweaked. The zone coverage/pre snap movement looks great too.

I'm really going to enjoy the game this year. Though i already see the whining about zone's too good, and a day 1 or close to it patch, and well never see the zone coverage fix again.

# 64 frankrizzo380 @ 05/03/11 10:21 PM
great vid, but i never had any problem taking away the skinny post or any other over the mid passes to TEs and/or slot WRs, never had any problem with stopping RB flats passes either, wish we could see some base 3-4 defense plays tho!

# 65 drlw322 @ 05/03/11 11:33 PM
good vid but why is everyone sliding

# 66 backinblack23 @ 05/03/11 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrizzo380
great vid, but i never had any problem taking away the skinny post or any other over the mid passes to TEs and/or slot WRs, never had any problem with stopping RB flats passes either, wish we could see some base 3-4 defense plays tho!
Well consider yourself lucky than, I would say over 70% of the guys that I played online abused the hell out of it. I could stop the passing routes by manually controlling a safety but then they would just take off running with a scrambling qb or wait for a lb'er to quit covering a guy.

# 67 ODogg @ 05/04/11 03:25 AM
Great to hear that's fixed, that's pretty much why the NCAA 11 was such a score fest!

# 68 poilbrun @ 05/04/11 05:08 AM
I watched this video at work with no sound, but there seems to be several where the safety (who should cover the top of the routes while the corner protects underneath), drops underneath for the interception.

There's also a lack of videos on the transition between zones. A good way to beat zone coverage is to have crossing receivers that move from one side of the formation to the others. I'd be curious to see some videos to see if the quality of the defenders influences it. It happens all the time that one defender will cover his receiver for too long and then have to play catch-up to the other ones because his team mate did it correctly.

Basically, I hope that zone coverage will not become the one and only way to defend. Currently, they showed it worked well (of course, you wouldn't show your new system and how it could be beat), but if zone coverage means no dropped coverage and risky moves that always turn into interceptions, why play man coverage.

I hope also that it will be possible to play mixed man/zones, where you leave your #1 CB on the #1 WR while the rest of the defense plays a zone. That's a risky move since you have one player less to cover the zones, but it's not an unusual defense when you have a very good corner.

# 69 ThisIsReality @ 05/04/11 05:30 AM
The speed of the players back pedaling and side stepping is ridiculous. But they have two more months to tweak the nooks and crannies.

# 70 209vaughn @ 05/04/11 10:33 AM
Poor zone coverage in NCAA 11 was the single most broken part of the game. Its music to my ears when the EA guy said "we are allowing zone coverages to take away the skinny post by the slot reciever and tight ened"...

Thank God, anybody on 3rd-12 could fire the ball up the middle to the slot WR and have success at least 80% of the time. It was one of the biggest money plays in years...

# 71 DJ @ 05/04/11 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209vaughn
Poor zone coverage in NCAA 11 was the single most broken part of the game. Its music to my ears when the EA guy said "we are allowing zone coverages to take away the skinny post by the slot reciever and tight ened"...

Thank God, anybody on 3rd-12 could fire the ball up the middle to the slot WR and have success at least 80% of the time. It was one of the biggest money plays in years...
Agreed. I hated knowing that whenever I needed a 1st down conversion, I could just call a play with a skinny post to a WR or a TE post and be able to pick up the 1st down.

The video looked really good.

# 72 thescorpio1985 @ 05/04/11 01:52 PM
Let the defense keep the upper hand just fix the player movement (if it is not possible for both keep the strong zones) lots of us complained about not having defensive struggles they potentially give us that then months later complain about it.

# 73 MVP23 @ 05/04/11 05:53 PM
So no one number 6? In this video?
No one covers like that. Smh

# 74 turftickler @ 05/04/11 06:49 PM
#40 in the white uniform, not sure which team that is, back pedals as fast as the receiver he is covering. That is not good. Also, the defender (purple uniform) side stepping as fast as the receiver, then picking the ball off is all wrong as well.

Those things can be fixed, but how many more problems will we see that need to be addressed before the demo drops, then before the game drops also?

I will buy this game if it is playable without seeing to much nonsense, but at this point, it does not look playable to the point of even a moderate level of enjoyment.

To those of you who say this kind of stuff doesn't bother, that's your problem, but I want my $60 to go toward a game that I will play for at least 6 months out of the year instead of 6 weeks or even 6 days.

# 75 BuffaloBull7 @ 05/07/11 07:09 AM
This make people have look and dissect zones more I like the improvement to Zone Coverage. Great Job EA

# 76 shttymcgee @ 05/07/11 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP23
So no one number 6? In this video?
No one covers like that. Smh
The shuffle technique is exactly the way TCU corners play and it's not just them, either.

# 77 PVarck31 @ 05/07/11 04:21 PM
I'm gonna give them a chance to fix the sluffle issue. They still have some time. If its not fixed I will be disappointed, but I can live with it as long as most other aspects of the game are good.

# 78 Roggie @ 05/08/11 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
I'm gonna give them a chance to fix the sluffle issue. They still have some time. If its not fixed I will be disappointed, but I can live with it as long as most other aspects of the game are good.
That's how I look at it. People say that people skate and shuffle in this game, and I've never really noticed it when I play. I just see them moving, and then I read the defense off of where they're moving, or if they're in man. I mean, if they fixed it, I'd probably notice it, but it's not major for me. I'm in the minority on this one, though.

# 79 PVarck31 @ 05/09/11 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
I'm sorry, I can't live with players shuffling and still keeping up with players that are sprinting.
Well sorry man.

The fact of the matter is, this will not be fixed this gen. The engine just won't allow it. Its the only explanation. Its been in every next gen EA football game since Madden 06. Its improved but if they could figure out a new way for the players to plant and move correctly I am sure they would have by now. I'm not defending them here, just saying what I believe to be true.

And just to be clear. Just because I can live with it doesn't mean I'm ok with it.

# 80 Skyboxer @ 05/09/11 02:59 AM
Looking good IMO. I'm sure there will be some issues but as long as EA is getting the game (finally) to a point where there's more of a chess match when playing, I'll be happy.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.