Home
Madden 12 News Post

IGN has posted a preview for Franchise Mode in Madden NFL 12.

Quote:
"'Any Given Sunday' isn't just the title of a bad football movie; it's an old adage that you never know what you're going to get when players step out on the field. Anything can happen. Your star QB could sling it five yards past every receiver. Your shaky rookie cornerback might come up clutch with a game-changing interception. Over the course of weeks and seasons, players are defined by their tendencies and begin assuming roles in their teams.

Madden NFL 12 developer Tiburon recognizes this and has made it part of the core upgrade to Franchise mode. It's true, Madden has disappointed with its Franchise mode the past few years, but that looks to be changing this year. The amount of improvements is staggering, but the most significant are the additions of dynamic player performance and player roles."

IGN will be releasing a follow-up blog on Monday, May 16th going more in depth about the changes to Franchise Mode.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 erich20012001 @ 05/13/11 04:36 PM
You can have more that one role per player. I saw LT had two with the Jets in one screen.

# 62 canes21 @ 05/13/11 04:40 PM
So, a little summary.

- Players can have multiple roles.
- Not all players get a role. You have to 'qualify' for it in the off season.
- Player roles can be positive or negative.
- Streaks only last 3 weeks to limit inflated stats and ratings.
- There are consistency and confidence ratings.
- Player performance can affect a players confidence which can also lead to better or worse performance.
- Inconsistent players can see their ratings go up or down 20 points in the most extreme cases.
- Payton Manning like players will only fluctuate a small amount if any throughout a season.
- Player roles actually have weight to them and matter to the AI when drafting and signing FA's.
- Apparently player roles also matter in trades now.

That sounds like it could really turn out to work great. Now taking that 75 overall player who is consistent might be the better idea over the 80 overall player who is as up and down as a diary.

# 63 Danimal @ 05/13/11 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
FYI EA Adrain Peterson only fumble one time last year.. I like what I'm hearing..... Finally Franchise Mode is back in Madden!!!!

You guys read the part where the reviewer said they had no idea if AP had the fumble prone rating right? That was his interpretation of who should have it.

# 64 SoxFan01605 @ 05/13/11 04:51 PM
Definitely a good start. If it works right, it should make drafting, trades, and FA ALL much more realistic and interesting. Now I just want to hear about coaching, rosters, and editing...hopefully some good news on those fronts come Monday.

# 65 Broncos86 @ 05/13/11 04:51 PM
I'd imagine Peyton Hillis will be fumble prone.

# 66 thudias @ 05/13/11 04:56 PM
Wow I am truly impressed.. I cant wait for Madden12..

# 67 PSRusse83 @ 05/13/11 05:01 PM
I just heard some fantastic news but I think all i can say right now is DUH WINNING! as it pertains to a feature in Franchise.

# 68 blakenation11 @ 05/13/11 05:08 PM
Damn it Madden! Now for the 4 straight year I'm going to buy it. I was dead set against buying it this year due to my distaste for the last 3 years. They roped me in again. I really hope it can reach its potential this year.

# 69 at23steelers @ 05/13/11 05:08 PM
I really like the potential of this new feature and definitely adds more immersion to franchise. Here are a few questions I have:

- Are GM's going to draft based on their teams base D. A 3-4 team will draft 3-4 players that fit the scheme. Same thing for who they go after in free agency.

- Is an injury role player with 70 injury rating different than a non-injury role player with a 70 injury rating? Same thing for all roles?

- If a player has 3 great weeks, why doesn't the player just have a boost in overall rating, instead of making that the max and then not affecting the player. I don't buy into the inflation of ratings, because there should be an equal amount of players who are decreased / increased after 3 weeks.

# 70 Mike Smoove @ 05/13/11 05:08 PM
Thank you for bringing this back.

# 71 bostonsports @ 05/13/11 05:09 PM
looks like they were true to their word last year when they said they would overhall franchise and superstar modes. I wasnt thrilled with madden 11 but this is looking very good. If they could fix minor gameplay things like pass rush I would be happy. And the 3-4 d really needs to be fixed, but its still way to early to say they havent done both

# 72 smace767 @ 05/13/11 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburke2
I thought the same thing too at first. But then I thought about it a bit more and I can see where they're coming from. Say Vick's overall is a 92 (just a guess). At times he can certainly play as poorly as a 72 OVR player so I suppose 20 pts isn't too big of a stretch, but I think 15 is prbly closer to what it should be IMO.

I think that when things swing 20 points its in most cases its meant from high range to low range. If rated 88 being the rating then his high limit is 98 and his low limit is78.

Picture Vick an 88 ovr qb. He leads the Eagles to a last second win week 2.
He comes in week three now rated 98 after that big performance.

For three qrts he is shredding the Cowboys in week three, performing like a 98 ovr player. But in the last 4 minutes he throws a pick 6 and fumbles twice and the Eagles lose the game.

The next week his confidence is down and he comes in rated 78 for week 4. Now you must tailor your game plan to a lower rated 78 ovr qb.

can't wait!

hopefully there is dynamic progression and dynamic potential. meaning you come in an A potential player at a 78 ovr.

At A potential you could end up a 80-99 ovr player.
Some A's could be 87 to 99. Some A's are 90-99. The range of potential fluctuates. Also you could have more career changing/ending injuries or just straight busts. guys Who have A potential but just dont progress.

The performance and role determines how you progress. If you ride the bench you progress a little the early years, but if you keep an A potential guy on the bench you wold stay at the low end or his potential drops 5- to 10 points and you see your A potential guy is now a B

This would add so much to a franchise. Do you play that young guy and try and get him progressed to his full potential? Do you bench or trade the young guy who is inconsistent but has a higher ceiling or let him play. Or do you play the steady performer and try to win now?

The answers are what coaches and GMs get paid to decide.

# 73 Cryolemon @ 05/13/11 05:20 PM
Some cool info. As was said, I hope the IR thing is finally fixed.

# 74 adembroski @ 05/13/11 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block-O
They're not saying Vick will be up 20 and down 20 the next. 20 is the max and i bet it rarely happens.
I'm not sure where they got that number. I don't think it's that big of a swing. Really it's not overall based, it's individual ratings, so we never recalculate the overall.

Even if it is... if Mike Vick is a 91, for instance, that means he can play like a 71 some games, or like a 99 some games. Doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility to me (though I think Vick has reached a level where he's not QUITE that inconsistant... but Cutler is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
FYI EA Adrain Peterson only fumble one time last year.. I like what I'm hearing..... Finally Franchise Mode is back in Madden!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikefan24
Adrian Peterson fumbled ONE time last year..
Sure... how many times did he fumble in the one game before last year?

# 75 mjhyankees @ 05/13/11 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoxguy12
Wow, this is a great addition. It's really going to change how I sign free agents and draft rookies...

Nice but what about off-season/front office stuff????? They are adding stuff aren't they???

# 76 brza37 @ 05/13/11 05:24 PM
awesome, awesome news! And Looman said that there's a ton more to come on Monday. I may have to change my signature come Monday.

Quote:
WTFitsDaveyJ @Josh_Looman You mean there's MORE?!

Josh_Looman Josh Looman

@WTFitsDaveyJ Much more. I think the blog I turned in this week was more than 10 pages long with images. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

# 77 canes21 @ 05/13/11 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Sure... how many times did he fumble in the one game before last year?
Is that really fair though? If the guy fumbles one time all last season, then he either had a crazy year, or improved his ball handling skills a lot.

# 78 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/13/11 05:38 PM
Very nice blog from IGN. I'm stunned right now. I love it. I'm just loving the new role idea for the players. Now the game is going to feel more real now with this. I can't wait for Monday to get here. The main blog is going to be awsome. I'm pumped up right now. Like Josh told WTFDaveyJ on Twitter earlier. This is just the tip of the iceberg on Franchise news. So if you are loving this right now. Just think what Monday main blog is going to hold for us. Can't wait I'm so excited right now!!!

# 79 BenjiA @ 05/13/11 05:41 PM
does this mean they have real human portraits for every draft class they created? That would mean 200 real human pics per class. And if there are let's say 30 classes in the game they must've taken 6,000 pictures of unknown people. Can this really be?

Or do they use random pictures of current NFL players?

# 80 callmetaternuts @ 05/13/11 05:44 PM
As long as there is more coming, specifically roster and transaction based changes, then I'm fine. But if these are the big changes, no way should this have taken a development cycle. I'm willing to wait and see

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.