Home
Madden 12 News Post

IGN has posted a preview for Franchise Mode in Madden NFL 12.

Quote:
"'Any Given Sunday' isn't just the title of a bad football movie; it's an old adage that you never know what you're going to get when players step out on the field. Anything can happen. Your star QB could sling it five yards past every receiver. Your shaky rookie cornerback might come up clutch with a game-changing interception. Over the course of weeks and seasons, players are defined by their tendencies and begin assuming roles in their teams.

Madden NFL 12 developer Tiburon recognizes this and has made it part of the core upgrade to Franchise mode. It's true, Madden has disappointed with its Franchise mode the past few years, but that looks to be changing this year. The amount of improvements is staggering, but the most significant are the additions of dynamic player performance and player roles."

IGN will be releasing a follow-up blog on Monday, May 16th going more in depth about the changes to Franchise Mode.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 mburke2 @ 05/13/11 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
I'm fairly certain that you can't assign the roles yourself directly, rather you have to meet some sort of previous related criteria in order to assign the role for the player for the following season. For example, in the last-gen Madden games a player had to fumble 10 times in a season to gain the Fumble-Prone role, at which point he wouldn't lose it until his carry rating progressed to a certain threshold and he minimized his fumble numbers.

I'd guess that Team Mentor might automatically be assigned if you bring on an older backup player at a position where you then subsequently draft a promising rookie, but again that's just a guess. It may be antiquated with regard to real-life application, but it brings a welcome element of strategy into franchise mode; do I sign the middle-of-the-road backup who is only a stop-gap player, or do I sign the veteran whose career is winding down, has clearly lost talent on-field, but has the Mentor role and thus the ability to help the progression of my younger players at the position?
Yeah you as the user do not assign these roles yourself. After each season the computer does its algorithm or whatever and determines based on the past seasons stats and other factors which players will be assigned to which roles. So the user cannot arbitrarily pick which players can be "Playoff Performers" or anything like that. Hopefully that addresses the question the poster that CHooe quoted was posing.

# 122 illwill10 @ 05/13/11 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsReality
Something I noticed. During the 2010 season Mark Sanchez was in his sophomore year... and Madden has him as the Franchise Quarterback. Do they have "QB of the Future" for rookies only or something?
This is something I want to know.
Is QB of the future for rookies and 2nd-3rd year players?
Where if they do great by their 3rd year they will become a Franchise QB.
I love the additions of Player Roles.

# 123 Cubs017 @ 05/13/11 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
This is something I want to know.
Is QB of the future for rookies and 2nd-3rd year players?
Where if they do great by their 3rd year they will become a Franchise QB.
I love the additions of Player Roles.
I'm guessing that "QB of the Future" applies to players who are being groomed to be a starter - think Aaron Rodgers a few years ago.

# 124 illwill10 @ 05/13/11 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs017
I'm guessing that "QB of the Future" applies to players who are being groomed to be a starter - think Aaron Rodgers a few years ago.
That is why I am believing. I think If you have a 75-85 OVR Backup(not sure) behind a Mentor or a Aging QB and if the backup did well in PReseason/some late blowout games, that might be a QB of the Future.
I think Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder might fall under this category.

# 125 cowboykmoney @ 05/13/11 09:37 PM
If u people would think like a true gamer then u know u dont have watch other teams drafts but your own. PLUS ITS ONLY FOR THE 1ST ROUND.

# 126 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/13/11 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Diesel
Not to be an alarmist, but a few things:

1) Why would someone sign a FB to a 3 year contract at 39 years old?
2) Why is Cle. bidding on Rogers when they just cut him?
3) Why is Cle. bidding on a starting caliber LT that is 10 years older than Joe Thomas? To play RT, maybe but I doubt the AI is keen enough to do that.

Not a big deal, just a few things I noticed.

I like the 75 player limit though.
Well bro you got to remember that this is just a photo of the bidding system. This stuff can be tuned a little better before it goes gold. I wouldn't worry to much about the contracts. Players in the league at the age of 38 or 39 years old have been known to be given 2 or 3 year contract like that. Brett Favre would come to mind. I mean just because the player does get that 3 year contract at that age doesn't mean he will play the full 3 years. So I do feel 3 year contract is pretty decent for a 39 year old player.

# 127 SilverChaosVII @ 05/13/11 09:42 PM
The writer must not actually watch football....

"(EA hasn't revealed if Peterson has the Fumble Prone role; if not, we should riot.)"

Errr..

Adrian Peterson:
2008: 9 fumbles
2009: 7 fumbles
2010: 1 fumble

Sadly, knowing the EA guys. Peterson will have the role, since they don't seem to watch the game either.

# 128 DavidmOrtiz15 @ 05/13/11 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan77
Chad Henne could be a lot of different roles. Underachiever, Project Player, Fumble Prone.. lol

Anyhow, I am really not sure how I feel about some of these team roles. I mean, Team Mentor? Its not the old days when players actually mentored and coached other players. This just seems really arbitrary. Can I just make Randy Moss my team mentor? Will it make any difference if I make him or someone like Manning?

Could I assign "Fumble prone" or "Playoff Performer" to just anyone? Will that cause someone who doesnt fumble to cough it up? What if I make Tarvaris Jackson a Playoff performer?

I guess I am a stat nut and play mostly text sims for that very reason. to me, altering a player based on subjective ratings is worriesome. If you can just assign these team roles freely and they have the same affect on a great player as they do a scrub, I would be a bit put off.
Roles are based on all field performance, so i'm sure Jackson would fall under "underachiever" category or maybe future QB, I guess it all depends on how you organize the team which is SICKKK !!

# 129 Armor and Sword @ 05/13/11 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
I'm excited for the player roles and it looks like they'll have a dynamic effect on franchise mode, but looking at the screen shots draft presentation hasn't been improved and the new free agency bidding system has me worried that people who like to control all 32 teams won't be able to...
You can always make up house rule for yourself if your a 32 control guy.

The AI will be improved and I find 32 team control ust too cumbersome. Besides it is my alternate universe. What happens happens.

# 130 Armor and Sword @ 05/13/11 10:07 PM
Just read the entire article twice.

Yep glad I pre-ordered it yesterday. This game is going to rock!

# 131 JDoze @ 05/13/11 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Except that if the effect is overdone it will create a snowball effect. For example, maybe a guy like Peterson fumbles in real life once every 63 touches (total touches/fumbles), but in Madden that number jumps to once every 31.5 touches (because his role is to be fumble-prone). Now you have a situation where he fumbles maybe once per game, furthering his fumble-prone status and lowering his fumble rating over the course of the next season. Now maybe he fumbles once every 25 touches. The next season then becomes worse, and so on.

If they implement this and it is as powerful as some of the other player enhancements they've done in the past, the cover-up button needs to be enough to limit fumbles, so that it's not just random dicerolls that have worse and worse odds as the user moves through franchise.
they said that dynamic progression will reset every 3 games. so it should keep the snowball effect from happening.

# 132 poppin_fresh @ 05/13/11 10:18 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but any news on back up roles? For example, 3-4 teams draft DE's and hope to convert them to OLB's or play hybrid roles (I hope it works out for Denver and Von....). Little things like this could spice up franchise imo. During the draft, lets say there are three guys I like equally and i'm down to my last pick. The guys are a WR, HB, and a HB/WR. I'd take the HB/WR because of that versatility he would offer

# 133 BlueNGold @ 05/13/11 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block-O
I just hope there isnt a big icon underneath the players feet on the field. Leave the player roles on the menu's please.
I said this to you in another thread but player roles were never icons under players in-game. That was Weapons in Madden '08. Player roles have icons in the menus.

Anyways, this news has me really excited. I'm a huge franchise player and aside from being in a solid online franchise in Madden 10 and 11, franchise mode has done nothing for me. It was basically a season mode. Now with these changes it looks like we're actually getting that franchise depth we've deserved for so long.

Can't wait for more info.

# 134 acreyman @ 05/13/11 11:28 PM
I doubt this year, but I hope at some point the NFL finally caps the Rookie salary. It is out of control right now. I am not expecting to see real football this year and I think it is a shame. So I hope if that is the case that the devs just put in a rookie cap in franchise mode starting with this year. Im sure there is a rumor on how it would work running around the league, so why not just run with it?

# 135 acreyman @ 05/13/11 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreyman
I doubt this year, but I hope at some point the NFL finally caps the Rookie salary. It is out of control right now. I am not expecting to see real football this year and I think it is a shame. So I hope if that is the case that the devs just put in a rookie cap in franchise mode starting with this year. Im sure there is a rumor on how it would work running around the league, so why not just run with it?
OH....and I forgot to mention that I was FLOORED by this tidbit of info. I can not WAIT to buy this game!

# 136 hurricanefootball4 @ 05/13/11 11:35 PM
The Madden information and screens have really impressed me this year. Last year was the first year since Madden 97 that I didn't get the game - and that's largely b/c they weren't changing anything in Franchise from year to year.

Sounds like they are making it a lot more realistic with the hot/cold streaks and the way players will progress through the season.

The screenshots look beautiful, the game play looks good, and with more Franchise and Superstar information yet to come I'm certainly excited for what Madden 12 could be this year.

# 137 Rawdeal28 @ 05/13/11 11:50 PM
im very excited now. cant wait!!!

# 138 adembroski @ 05/14/11 12:05 AM
Don't wanna be TOO confrontational here, but I gotta say this.

Ok, Peterson's fumble issues are not a matter of frequency, but of context. The man fumbles in the very worst moments he can possibly fumble. Also, he has a higher than normal frequency of lost fumbles.

One season with 4 fumbles cannot forgive what he did the previous year. We remember the NFC Championship game when he fumbled 3 times, losing all three, and cost the Vikings a Superbowl trip... but a few weeks earlier to fumbles away the Vikings shot at home field advantage throughout the playoffs by fumbling in Chicago territory in overtime.

I've lived the past 14 years in Vikings broadcast territory, I've seen damn near every carry Peterson's ever had. He's an amazing back, second only to Sanders in terms of pure ball carrying ability that I've ever seen. But to argue that he doesn't have a problem with fumbles is ridiculous. If he goes another season with only 4- and they don't cost the Vikings their entire season- we'll talk.

At any rate, I'll try to go through and answer some of the questions posted here sometime tomorrow or Sunday. No promises though.

# 139 hurricanefootball4 @ 05/14/11 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
If he goes another season with only 4- and they don't cost the Vikings their entire season- we'll talk.
So the question is, in Madden 12, what do Adrian Peterson and other players need to do to rid themselves of the Fumble Prone role?

3 straight seasons of sub-4 fumbles?

Really like what you guys are doing this year and it's cool to see you guys interacting in here

# 140 CM Hooe @ 05/14/11 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanefootball4
So the question is, in Madden 12, what do Adrian Peterson and other players need to do to rid themselves of the Fumble Prone role?

3 straight seasons of sub-4 fumbles?
In Madden 07, a player's carry rating had to progress to 80 or greater, and then the player had to record one season of 3 fumbles or fewer, to remove the tag. I imagine it will be a similar function in Madden 12.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.