Home
Madden 12 News Post

IGN has posted a preview for Franchise Mode in Madden NFL 12.

Quote:
"'Any Given Sunday' isn't just the title of a bad football movie; it's an old adage that you never know what you're going to get when players step out on the field. Anything can happen. Your star QB could sling it five yards past every receiver. Your shaky rookie cornerback might come up clutch with a game-changing interception. Over the course of weeks and seasons, players are defined by their tendencies and begin assuming roles in their teams.

Madden NFL 12 developer Tiburon recognizes this and has made it part of the core upgrade to Franchise mode. It's true, Madden has disappointed with its Franchise mode the past few years, but that looks to be changing this year. The amount of improvements is staggering, but the most significant are the additions of dynamic player performance and player roles."

IGN will be releasing a follow-up blog on Monday, May 16th going more in depth about the changes to Franchise Mode.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Rawdeal28 @ 05/14/11 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Don't wanna be TOO confrontational here, but I gotta say this.

Ok, Peterson's fumble issues are not a matter of frequency, but of context. The man fumbles in the very worst moments he can possibly fumble. Also, he has a higher than normal frequency of lost fumbles.

One season with 4 fumbles cannot forgive what he did the previous year. We remember the NFC Championship game when he fumbled 3 times, losing all three, and cost the Vikings a Superbowl trip... but a few weeks earlier to fumbles away the Vikings shot at home field advantage throughout the playoffs by fumbling in Chicago territory in overtime.

I've lived the past 14 years in Vikings broadcast territory, I've seen damn near every carry Peterson's ever had. He's an amazing back, second only to Sanders in terms of pure ball carrying ability that I've ever seen. But to argue that he doesn't have a problem with fumbles is ridiculous. If he goes another season with only 4- and they don't cost the Vikings their entire season- we'll talk.

At any rate, I'll try to go through and answer some of the questions posted here sometime tomorrow or Sunday. No promises though.
thank u sir.

# 142 CM Hooe @ 05/14/11 12:27 AM
Also, for refresher, here is how Player Roles functioned in Madden 07 (I fully realize that this may not be how they function in Madden 12).

# 143 Dbrentonbuck @ 05/14/11 12:37 AM
Quote:

Ok, Peterson's fumble issues are not a matter of frequency, but of context. The man fumbles in the very worst moments he can possibly fumble. Also, he has a higher than normal frequency of lost fumbles.

One season with 4 fumbles cannot forgive what he did the previous year. We remember the NFC Championship game when he fumbled 3 times, losing all three, and cost the Vikings a Superbowl trip... but a few weeks earlier to fumbles away the Vikings shot at home field advantage throughout the playoffs by fumbling in Chicago territory in overtime.

I've lived the past 14 years in Vikings broadcast territory, I've seen damn near every carry Peterson's ever had. He's an amazing back, second only to Sanders in terms of pure ball carrying ability that I've ever seen. But to argue that he doesn't have a problem with fumbles is ridiculous. If he goes another season with only 4- and they don't cost the Vikings their entire season- we'll talk.

At any rate, I'll try to go through and answer some of the questions posted here sometime tomorrow or Sunday. No promises though.
This is why I love EA. I am not saying that Madden or NCAA are perfect games by any means, but I love that you guys care enough to come here and sometimes subject yourself to the scrutiny of some of the harshest critiques in the world.

My questions would be:

1. How do the player roles in Madden 12 differ from those on the PS2? Do they function pretty much the same way or what?

2. What is the max number a single player can have?

3. How will the new dynamic player progression and player roles effect regular player progression?

4. How well do these things work when importing draft classes from NCAA? Like if Andrew Luck gets drafted to the Bills, will he become a "franchise quarterback"?

5. Will cpu controlled teams be smart enough to use Player roles (i.e. if they draft a rookie QB, will they sign a mentor QB to help him)?

6. Is the draft/trade logic exactly the same for all teams? In other words, will be able to tell a difference between a team like the Patriots and Steelers who traditionally have very good drafts and teams who don't? Will some teams be better at making trades for role players etc? Or, will all teams do an equal job in these areas?

Thanks again.

# 144 illwill10 @ 05/14/11 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
Also, for refresher, here is how Player Roles functioned in Madden 07 (I fully realize that this may not be how they function in Madden 12).
after reading them, i think Madden 12 will use the same player roles like Madden 07.i think they use Team distraction too,because he said something about showboat

# 145 NoTiCe_O @ 05/14/11 01:15 AM
Quote:
Yeap, came in to post this same exact list. I'm pretty sure the roles have changed somewhat in how there earned or lost, but tht list should def. give a basic idea

# 146 KOTC Wayne @ 05/14/11 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
There's probably an "overachiever" to go with that. If I had to bet, an underachiever would be a 90 OVR playing like a 75 OVR, and an overachiever would be a 75 OVR playing like a 90 OVR.

Franchise is looking really good right now, I really like the fact now that it seems rookie QB's can be developed without having to play them right away. Going to be fun playing through NCAA Dynasty and picking up a QB you recruited and took your program to a new level, then being able to develop him and continue his legacy!
The way I see it, a underachiever would be someone like Jamarcus Russel who after year 3 is still like a 70 something overall and a overachiever is someone who was drafted in the later rounds that has a good overall rating.

# 147 droopizzle34 @ 05/14/11 02:20 AM
when i first saw the article,I felt excited. But then I read comments,and my excitement faded quickly. I had to agree with the guys. These features were in past Maddens...taken away,and now they're back. So I'm not gonna get hype,until i see some NEW features,innovative features...so I'll wait till the May 16th blog to see if there's something NEW...

# 148 CM Hooe @ 05/14/11 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopizzle34
when i first saw the article,I felt excited. But then I read comments,and my excitement faded quickly. I had to agree with the guys. These features were in past Maddens...taken away,and now they're back. So I'm not gonna get hype,until i see some NEW features,innovative features...so I'll wait till the May 16th blog to see if there's something NEW...
Having played every Madden since M01 on the PS2, I wasn't aware that dynamic player ratings and hot-cold streaks were in any previous Madden game. Because they weren't.

Not that I understand the line of thinking of "the feature was there in a previous Madden so it doesn't count" in the first place, but regardless.

# 149 droopizzle34 @ 05/14/11 03:07 AM
Quote:
Not that I understand the line of thinking of "the feature was there in a previous Madden so it doesn't count" in the first place, but regardless.
no one is asking you to understand,i'm sure people agree with you,just like i'm sure there are people who will agree with me.you have your opinion,I have mine.
Player roles are been there-seen that.I'm not gonna be excited just cause they are back when they should have been in the game already...nor will I get excited about hot/cold streaks till I see that they properly work like advertised.

When I see something new like storylines,a functioning highlight show,or anything else people have had on their wishlist thats never been in the game,then i'll get excited...that's why i'm waiting till May 16th...hoping to see something NEW,not something from the past that should have already been in the game...

# 150 TyghtWork @ 05/14/11 03:37 AM
Madden 12 sounds like a better looking 07 to me. The info from today was all from madden 07 ps2.

Its nothing wrong with that, 07 was 10x better then what we have now IMO.

# 151 thrust @ 05/14/11 04:06 AM
Combine this with an upgraded injury system and Walaa!!!

# 152 droopizzle34 @ 05/14/11 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block-O
There are spaces after punctuation. Not trying to be a douche, but it would be easier to read your posts.
no one is asking you to understand, i'm sure people agree with you, just like i'm sure there are people who will agree with me. you have your opinion, I have mine.
Player roles are been there-seen that. I'm not gonna be excited just cause they are back when they should have been in the game already... nor will I get excited about hot/cold streaks till I see that they properly work like advertised.

When I see something new like storylines, a functioning highlight show, or anything else people have had on their wishlist thats never been in the game, then i'll get excited... that's why i'm waiting till May 16th... hoping to see something NEW, not something from the past that should have already been in the game...

# 153 droopizzle34 @ 05/14/11 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburn2004
I feel like any move Madden makes in a productive direction for us as gamers and football fans to enjoy is a plus. Last years franchise was terrible. so im just happy i get to play franchise and actually have fun again and not think about how i wasted my money
i'm with you bro, i'm pretty sure it will make the mode better. I'm just not impressed about old features making their way back to the game, when they should have never been left out in the first place. I do appreciate any feature that can make Madden better. I'd just like to see some brand new things. I hope dynamic player ratings deliver as described in the IGN blog.

# 154 rootofalleli @ 05/14/11 05:00 AM
I'll be happy if...

1) Teams don't drop $15 million on right guard or something. I bet you've seen it- a 36 year old guard with 2 years left on his contract #3 on the depth chart behind two guys under 30, all making $5 mil a year. And the left guard situation is about the same. Please do better, AI- cut players before you are up against the cap! There needs to be a point at which AI teams will cut their losses on aging players and underachievers.

2) Player roles are NOT on everyone a few seasons in. Oh look- my defense has 2 shutdown corners, 2 hard-hitting safeties, 3 pass rushers, 4 run-stoppers, 8 defensive play-makers, and 7 playoff bad-asses (or whatever). Please do not hand out roles as door prizes. Same issue as having most starters 90+ OVR in 3 or 4 seasons. Average ratings should not inflate over time, and roles should be no more common in year 10 than year 1.

3) Some uncertainty exists. There is little point in knowing EXACTLY what you will get from free agents or in drafting a player and instantly knowing his progression. These expanded rosters will be amazing if they are an opportunity to scout players. They will be pointless otherwise. Managing a team becomes trivial when we know too much.

And one possible clarification: a lot of people are concerned about the 20-point swing in OVR for players. It's possible that this is a +/- 10 point variation. Perhaps Vick is 85 OVR, but can go as high as 95 or as low as 75. Just a guess!

# 155 brza37 @ 05/14/11 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofalleli
I'll be happy if...

1) Teams don't drop $15 million on right guard or something. I bet you've seen it- a 36 year old guard with 2 years left on his contract #3 on the depth chart behind two guys under 30, all making $5 mil a year. And the left guard situation is about the same. Please do better, AI- cut players before you are up against the cap! There needs to be a point at which AI teams will cut their losses on aging players and underachievers.

2) Player roles are NOT on everyone a few seasons in. Oh look- my defense has 2 shutdown corners, 2 hard-hitting safeties, 3 pass rushers, 4 run-stoppers, 8 defensive play-makers, and 7 playoff bad-asses (or whatever). Please do not hand out roles as door prizes. Same issue as having most starters 90+ OVR in 3 or 4 seasons. Average ratings should not inflate over time, and roles should be no more common in year 10 than year 1.

3) Some uncertainty exists. There is little point in knowing EXACTLY what you will get from free agents or in drafting a player and instantly knowing his progression. These expanded rosters will be amazing if they are an opportunity to scout players. They will be pointless otherwise. Managing a team becomes trivial when we know too much.

And one possible clarification: a lot of people are concerned about the 20-point swing in OVR for players. It's possible that this is a +/- 10 point variation. Perhaps Vick is 85 OVR, but can go as high as 95 or as low as 75. Just a guess!
Excellent points. Hope AJ can comment on these too.

Also, it seemed like in the one Screenshot showing the Free Agent bidding those players were getting really inflated bids. Considering their ages and overalls they shouldn't get contracts that long or with salaries that high. Hopefully, this can be tuned before release.

# 156 rootofalleli @ 05/14/11 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block-O
To make another point on #1. Older players and underachievers need to take less money if they're picked up by another team.
For real! The NFL has veteran minimum salaries because older players often have to take whatever deal they can get.

# 157 Armor and Sword @ 05/14/11 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyghtWork
Madden 12 sounds like a better looking 07 to me. The info from today was all from madden 07 ps2.

Its nothing wrong with that, 07 was 10x better then what we have now IMO.

Long time hardcore Madden player here. This is what I expected from Madden 2010. Same awesome franchise mode from 2007 with next gen graphics, AI and power. Looks not only are we getting back a lot of the great proven features from last gen Madden franchise mode, but Monday we will also get a bunch of new features as well that only new gen can provide.

Of course I want to see some more innovation. We all do. But I love Maddens core gameplay. Always have. If your a player who has not...you left this franchise long ago. And the fact it is the only NFL game in town has some people really upset that never liked Maddens core gameplay. I can understand the frustration.

But for those of us who have stuck with Madden....Hell Yeah!!!!

Madden 12 is going to slay it!!!

# 158 Yukon46 @ 05/14/11 09:33 AM
Quote:

Looks like Madden has that portrait blending stuff from NFL 2K5 for Rookie portraits, maybe? I have no earthly idea who "Carter Wilson" and "Deangelo Washington" are, otherwise.
I am very interested in hearing more about this....the "real" pictures for these unknown rookies.

How many unknown "real" faces could they possibly have ?

And then still seeing the "Blank Silhouette" on real NFL rookie Lonyae Miller...that is a little disappointing (again).

What are NCAA imported draft classes gonna look like ?

# 159 K_GUN @ 05/14/11 10:27 AM
Quote:

all valid points Adem...but it is what it is...his fumbles were down last year........is there some type of weighting system for a players label/role....using the past 3 years with most weight on the most recent year?

# 160 ab2c4 @ 05/14/11 10:29 AM
I am curious to see how all of this ends up. Will it be implemented well and work great, or will it have too much impact on the game. I just hope it isn't over the top like how Momentum was in NCAA Football 07 thus making it unrealistic. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.