Home
Madden 12 News Post

IGN has just released quite a few more Madden NFL 12 details, including the ability to change teams in the offseason, tiered scouting system, an eBay style bidding system for free agents and more.

Quote:
  • Dynamic Player Performance: Player ratings fluctuate based on consistency and confidence.
  • Player Roles: More than 20 roles (Playoff Performer, Trench Warrior) affect player and team stats throughout the season.
  • The Pre-Season Matters: Start with 75-player roster and need to make cuts each week. Playing pre-season games reveals player ratings.
  • Scouting Reworked: Tiered scouting system reveals ratings tied to different events (college season, combine, pro day, individual workout).
  • Draft Class Improvements: Robust set of draftees built for 30 seasons of franchise. Teams draft based on their real tendencies.
  • Free Agent Bidding Wars: eBay style bidding against other GMs creates intense, rapid-fire free agent period that takes only a few minutes to complete.
  • Smarter General Managers: Better re-sign and cut logic. GMs make trades and sign free agents who fit their needs, with player roles factored in.
  • Coaches Matter: Coaches have small positive and negative impact on how players perform on the field based on their style.
  • Edit Any Player: Alter the ratings of any player -- rookie, created player, or established veteran.
  • Change Teams: In any offseason, change control of which teams you run in Franchise mode.
  • Numerous Tweaks: Many other small tuning and additions are coming, including retirement logic, a more accurate salary system, fixes to the injured reserve system, better simulation stats, and more.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Jono078 @ 05/15/11 07:34 AM
Here's the link: http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1168425p1.html

And some small new information I picked up on;

Quote:
What's the biggest gameplay change?
That's something EA has not revealed yet. We're hoping that's the focus of Madden NFL 12 at E3 2011.

The Pre-Season Matters: Start with 75-player roster and need to make cuts each week. Playing pre-season games reveals player ratings.

Edit Any Player: Alter the ratings of any player -- rookie, created player, or established veteran.

Change Teams: In any offseason, change control of which teams you run in Franchise mode.

Numerous Tweaks: Many other small tuning and additions are coming, including retirement logic, a more accurate salary system, fixes to the injured reserve system, better simulation stats, and more.

How has Madden online changed?
EA hasn't revealed this yet, but we're told a big addition is in the works.

# 2 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/15/11 07:44 AM
Switching Teams in Franchise mode is back. That is awsome news to us people who love building a team up and then moving on to another team and doing the same thing. You really have to love the Madden Crew for all the hard work they put into this year Madden. I give them a hand.

# 3 jmurphy31 @ 05/15/11 07:54 AM
This is a awesome addition to Franchise mode. Now if we can only get in game saves in...

# 4 jmurphy31 @ 05/15/11 07:57 AM
I love the line that playing Preseason games reveals players ratings. So playing actual preseason games will matter this to make cuts and award positions.

# 5 LorenzoDC @ 05/15/11 08:23 AM
Ok, funny thing. I'm gonna say this, and I actually think it's funny, as in hah ha funny. I'm not snarking. I am not one of the people who says OMG these features are old generation so Madden suX0r!!!

But the line about 90% of players trying franchise stuck out to me. Last year we got all kinds of stats about how many people went online once and never stuck with it, so they did things to make the game a lot simpler for newbies to learn, and ignored offline modes. They used stats last year to make their case for why they were telling sim and offline franchise players, sorry, no soup for you.

Now, this year they're sharing a stat to talk about how many people try franchise but find it, I guess, too shallow and unrealistic to football.

I just think that's funny!

I've always thought that they should be building the brand from the hard core fan outward anyway. In other words, if they want to rope in a new generation of new players, they should make the loyalists so overjoyed that they become your big viral salesforce. Maybe they'll try that for a couple of years now.

Having said that, WOW. They really amped up franchise and listened to what we wanted. Assuming the execution of all this is decent, and of course I expect some hiccups that can maybe require a patch, this should be a helluva lot more fun to play than any Madden, maybe, ever.

# 6 BenjiA @ 05/15/11 08:25 AM
will we be able to edit the rookies' skin tones and faces? Now that they have real pics as their portraits it might be that the generated players looks way off so being able to edit his appearance (skin tone & face) would definitely help!!

# 7 JalenTigh @ 05/15/11 08:48 AM
Damn you EA! I swore last year I would never buy Madden again! Now you all went out and did all this stuff to the game that I have wanted for years and are gonna force me to buy it again!

# 8 sniperhare @ 05/15/11 09:01 AM
I'm hoping it can be something like you can control 1 team for the season then control 32 teams for the draft and FA then switch back to 1 right before the preseason.

Love the edit feature, this way I can adjust players to make my own franchise storyline and have injuries impact ratings.

# 9 LorenzoDC @ 05/15/11 09:08 AM
Quote:
Smarter General Managers: Better re-sign and cut logic. GMs make trades and sign free agents who fit their needs, with player roles factored in.
I'm hoping that means the CPU might actually initiate trade requests with the franchise player, and the requests won't be totally unrealistic.

I haven't heard anything about an email type system for franchise where scouts, agents, players or other GM's could send you messages, but that would be shweeeeet, and right on par with other kinds of franchise sim games.

# 10 Armor and Sword @ 05/15/11 09:12 AM
It just gets better and better. HC09 type franchise features in Madden!

# 11 canes21 @ 05/15/11 09:12 AM
I guess with a better Injury Reserve system, that just means it works like it is supposed to now? I can't see how they could improve it and still have it not work properly.

# 12 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/15/11 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I guess with a better Injury Reserve system, that just means it works like it is supposed to now? I can't see how they could improve it and still have it not work properly.
Well I'm glad they did improve the IR. But I hope they linked the IR with the Depth Chart. Where if a player is injuried and put on the IR for the season. That it would open up a roster spot to allow you to sign a FA to replace the injuried player. Because when I play madden 11 and one of the postion gets low in players like DE or SS because of injury. I would love to be able to sign a FA without having to release another player from a different postion on the team. This has been a problem for Madden franchise mode for a long time.

# 13 TheTodd84 @ 05/15/11 09:33 AM
Wow. I read this article and I was almost in shock, really. This is all amazing news. Incredible stuff, EA. I was seriously 99% positive I was going to pass on Madden this year and just stick with NCAA. I might have to go drop $5 on a pre-order now. I'm still going to wait and see on some of these other features, but if they are good, EA might have my money again for Madden. Damn them, lol.

I'm most excited about the improved scouting and playing the pre-season games. That's so sick.

# 14 jjsmitty34 @ 05/15/11 09:47 AM
Not to be that guy but why wasn't this effort put in every year...

# 15 fitch94 @ 05/15/11 09:53 AM
Great the Patriots will be trading down during the draft. Actually I am very excited about this feature of the new Madden. The Preseason and the Scouting have badly needed to be revamped and it appears that they have done it. Hopefully more features from Head Coach make it into the Game.

Does anyone know about the trading logic for draft picks?

# 16 jmurphy31 @ 05/15/11 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
I've always thought that they should be building the brand from the hard core fan outward anyway. In other words, if they want to rope in a new generation of new players, they should make the loyalists so overjoyed that they become your big viral salesforce. Maybe they'll try that for a couple of years now.

Having said that, WOW. They really amped up franchise and listened to what we wanted. Assuming the execution of all this is decent, and of course I expect some hiccups that can maybe require a patch, this should be a helluva lot more fun to play than any Madden, maybe, ever.
I have always agreed with this idea as well...Any game, no matter the genre, should try to please its core gamers and than try to reach out to new markets. Companies make money by having customers make repeat purchases, not selling to new customers once.

I play mostly sports games, but I have friends who have turned me onto other games like Gears of War, Dead Space, etc. I tried to get them to play Madden and they were not having it (They miss the Old days of Madden).

On the flip side...If sales do drop this year with this recommitment to the hardcore community, what changes would we see in the future.

# 17 PSRusse83 @ 05/15/11 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
Ok, funny thing. I'm gonna say this, and I actually think it's funny, as in hah ha funny. I'm not snarking. I am not one of the people who says OMG these features are old generation so Madden suX0r!!!

But the line about 90% of players trying franchise stuck out to me. Last year we got all kinds of stats about how many people went online once and never stuck with it, so they did things to make the game a lot simpler for newbies to learn, and ignored offline modes. They used stats last year to make their case for why they were telling sim and offline franchise players, sorry, no soup for you.

Now, this year they're sharing a stat to talk about how many people try franchise but find it, I guess, too shallow and unrealistic to football.

I just think that's funny!

To me the new ideas and Features for a Franchise mode are so simple. Its all out there in plain site to see every day of the year (except in a lockout) The hard part is making sure it works in a video game without having major flaws or crashes and thats what i see these past two years being. We waited while Looman and his team worked to get this game in the direction fans want it to be headed. From what I've been reading it looks to be paying off.

# 18 PSRusse83 @ 05/15/11 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhare
I'm hoping it can be something like you can control 1 team for the season then control 32 teams for the draft and FA then switch back to 1 right before the preseason.

Love the edit feature, this way I can adjust players to make my own franchise storyline and have injuries impact ratings.
Remember when youre players would get injured and depending on what type it was it would affect their speed throw power etc? I loved Madden 07. To me that was the most fun I had playing a two team Franchise with my room mate.

# 19 Palo20 @ 05/15/11 10:18 AM
All outstanding news, nice work Madden team!

# 20 JalenTigh @ 05/15/11 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmitty34
Not to be that guy but why wasn't this effort put in every year...
I may be wrong, but alot of this is a culmination of several years work. That atleast was the story last year why Franchise was not touched... They had a bunch of stuff for it, but it was not ready yet. They opted to leave it alone instead of putting in only half finished stuff.

« Previous12345678Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.