Home
News Post


Casey Mosier of LeagueManager has posted some impressions of Madden NFL 12 from his time at EA Tiburon.

Quote:
"During my week in Orlando visiting EA Tiburon studio, I, along with other members of the Madden community, had the opportunity to get extensive play time on Madden NFL 12. At the end of the week, we each tallied up around 30 hours of play time amongst the different modes and features, Derek and I focused on game play improvements as well as offline "Franchise" mode. Now that Josh Looman has released the offline franchise improvements, I would like to take a little closer look at some of the new gameplay improvements as well as the offline franchise additions. In the following few passages I will go into further detail on the upgrades that have put Madden NFL 12 at the top of my list for "must have, day 1 purchases" for 2011."

Member Comments
# 61 ch46647 @ 05/21/11 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptOhio
1. I really can't give you a fair answer as commentary wasn't in yet, and a lot of the audio elements weren't dialed in yet.

2. Yes I did see stat overlays on a consistent basis, not just the QB either. I basically saw an equal amount on bother sides of the ball.
Thanks for the reply!

Honestly, I didnt think the commentary was good last year but more important to me is the gameday atmosphere. I want the crowd to sound like a real NFL crowd. It should "eb and flow" on a consistant basis and should react to every situation on the field appropriately. Could you imagine watching an NFL game on TV and having the crowd sound like it does in Madden currently? Haha

One more question about the crowds. Did the new 3D crowds have any effect on the look of the game? Did they stand out to you not just on cut scenes but also just seeing them in real-time when you score a touchdown and stuff?

Thanks for answering our questions!
 
# 62 jmurphy31 @ 05/21/11 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptOhio
1. I really can't give you a fair answer as commentary wasn't in yet, and a lot of the audio elements weren't dialed in yet.

2. Yes I did see stat overlays on a consistent basis, not just the QB either. I basically saw an equal amount on bother sides of the ball.
good to hear
 
# 63 LorenzoDC @ 05/21/11 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptOhio
The 4 week max scouting from Madden 11 MAY be in there but I'm not sure, I checked each of the 1st 3 weeks and you couldn't adjust who you were scouting after the 1st 3 weeks and I didn't notice any new information on the people I choose after week 1. So therefore I am assuming its one batch of scouting for the season.
Thanks for the reply.

Just so you know, someone should say it: I appreciate what you wrote, that you wrote honestly, and am glad you liked what you got to see.

I feel secure enough that I can take in everyone else's perspective, and not feel any frustration if it's not exactly what I imagine I would think, feel, or write. Not everyone has to be me! That's my job, that you very much.

Of course I can only go by what the community guys are saying, and understanding that the EA guys have marketing to do, factor in what they are saying while tempering it with my own wait and see approach. I've been a Madden guy for while and I have some frustrations but I'm veyr hopeful this year. Wait and see, yes, but with some anticipation.

And while a lot of people are getting excited, I'm glad for them. A lot of longtime wish list things have been targeted for improvement, and I don't need to piss on anyone's anticipation. If they're all disappointed later, ok, so be it. It's not my job to protect them from future disappointment by finding possible problems now. Time will tell.

Hell, I got an EA birthday promotion email in late April with 20% off purchases and pre-bought M12 and ME3. So I mde the decision to buy at a discount before the new franchise news dump. Glad I did.

Thanks again.
 
# 64 djordan @ 05/21/11 09:38 AM
Question....

When they say "500 new cameras" this year, does that also take effect for pre-post play action or only for individual cutscenes?
 
# 65 at23steelers @ 05/21/11 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Thanks for the reply!

Honestly, I didnt think the commentary was good last year but more important to me is the gameday atmosphere. I want the crowd to sound like a real NFL crowd. It should "eb and flow" on a consistant basis and should react to every situation on the field appropriately. Could you imagine watching an NFL game on TV and having the crowd sound like it does in Madden currently? Haha

One more question about the crowds. Did the new 3D crowds have any effect on the look of the game? Did they stand out to you not just on cut scenes but also just seeing them in real-time when you score a touchdown and stuff?

Thanks for answering our questions!
To follow up on the stats question. What kind of stats are shown? In the beginning does it show the starting lineup with their faces and position? Does it show during the game which side of the field the QB throws the ball and his completion %? Does it show where the RB runs to? Does it show the CB's catches allowed throughout the game? Does it show QB hurries, pressures, and sacks? Or, is it basic like QB is 8-14 for 150 yards, RB 4 rushing attempts for 16 yards with a 4 YPC avg? Are any of the stats in sentence form? Thanks! Specifics would be appreciated.

Is defense man lock in the game, where the camera view is flipped like in NCAA 11?

Are there more kinds of penalties in the game called? Defensive holding, and are current penalties called more frequency and more realistically?

Is Jump the Snap in the game?
 
# 66 LorenzoDC @ 05/21/11 12:22 PM
The game isn't even out yet. If it's jacked up when it ships, bash EA, as always.

But to give crap to a guy who got to sample it for what and how he wrote about it, when you yourself have not played it, is assinine. He can write what he wants how he wants.

In the meantime, if you want to argue EA does the crazy hype every year and people get overhyped, fine. I agree. But that applies to other people like the rest of us who can only go by marketing hype and second hand reports to form expectations.

None of that means criticizing a guy who wrote up what he thought after actually playing a pre release.

I'm all for pushing EA hard to improve the game. But the time to criticize the actual game is when you play it. The time to beat up EA over false hype is when it proves to be false. The time to criticize some guy who wrote impressions about a pre release is probably never, except maybe later if it comes out EA bought him off or for some other reason he loses credibility.
 
# 67 Smoke6 @ 05/21/11 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans80AJ1
Let's be honest... you think that ALLLL this stuff they implemented this year is going to work flawlessly? No way. Something is going to be JACKED. Bet my penis on it.
Dang, you go hard in the paint!

Relax bro, I been in the same boat as you before and got older and wiser to the rules of this site. I understand your frustrations with the feedback from the OP and all and its well warranted and in fact, since madden on nex gen systems, its been rinse and repeat with few advancements to move the series along where we all thought it should have been by now.

Its like that first week of release for them, and I like others am excited for what i have been hearing and at the sametime I keep in the back of my mind that there are the jerks lying in wait to exploit the game week one or week 2 to there advantage like always and then we will be here complaining and getting banned.

Im all for online franchises due to the way this game gets exploited and lack of features makes it less appealing, but having the right community helps a lil bit better bro.

Just chill and relax and just take it day by day with whats going on with the release and if you dont like it after the 1st week or so, then trade it in and get most fo your money back.
 
# 68 TDKing @ 05/21/11 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptOhio
I do apologize, it wasn't my intention not to answer, I think the spam posters got too much of my attention.
I'm not sure if I can answer part of that so I will shoot out an email to my contact and find out for you.
Ut oh......
 
# 69 GGEden @ 05/21/11 01:54 PM
The only way to gauge the pros/cons of the game-play is when the demo drops on XBL/PSN. Naturally, before a game is about to release it's about hype, promotion, advertising. When a game actually releases, then you'll get game review sites giving a critique of the pros/cons of the game. Until then, all we can do is read updates from those who get hands-on impressions or are insiders, and asking questions related to the info they're providing.

It's not a war, EA (or any studio) vs the consumer base. If a product isn't up to the standards of what the consumers want, game sales will drop, and future consumer faith will drop. It's in the best interests of the studio to not take the consumer for granted, work hard for their dollar, even if they have an exclusive license.
 
# 70 TheShizNo1 @ 05/21/11 01:55 PM
What was the OLine play like? Did they run past defenders or let pass rushers run a round them or cross their face?
 
# 71 LorenzoDC @ 05/21/11 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans80AJ1
Let's be honest... you think that ALLLL this stuff they implemented this year is going to work flawlessly? No way. Something is going to be JACKED. Bet my penis on it.
Let's wait and see. There will be needs for fixes, sure. But bashing the guy who wrote this up for how he wrote it is off topic and stupid. And if you're gonna make bets, at least bet something big.
 
# 72 Pared @ 05/21/11 02:27 PM
Let's get this thread back on track. If you want find out more about the impressions, feel free to post.

Be respectful (EVERYONE) and we'll be fine.
 
# 73 CM Hooe @ 05/21/11 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptOhio
Yes, I saw different intros depending on who is the "star" of the team. And i do believe in game pop up banners have players faces.
To elaborate, does that mean we won't see the top Ravens' linebacker doing Ray Lewis' dance regardless whether Ray Lewis is on the team? (I think the dance was previously tied to only the Ravens in general, and thus whomever the top linebacker was did it in the team intros).
 
# 74 at23steelers @ 05/21/11 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptOhio
good lord that was a lot of questions answer in a few minutes lol
Are you allowed to answer mine bro, bottom of page 9?
 
# 75 ch46647 @ 05/21/11 02:57 PM
Thanks for answering all these questions... THis is great!!

What did you think of the new 3D crowds? Is the crowd still a major eye-sore or do the 3D crowds really make the stadiums come alive?
 
# 76 ch46647 @ 05/21/11 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
To follow up on the stats question. What kind of stats are shown? In the beginning does it show the starting lineup with their faces and position? Does it show during the game which side of the field the QB throws the ball and his completion %? Does it show where the RB runs to? Does it show the CB's catches allowed throughout the game? Does it show QB hurries, pressures, and sacks? Or, is it basic like QB is 8-14 for 150 yards, RB 4 rushing attempts for 16 yards with a 4 YPC avg? Are any of the stats in sentence form? Thanks! Specifics would be appreciated.

Is defense man lock in the game, where the camera view is flipped like in NCAA 11?

Are there more kinds of penalties in the game called? Defensive holding, and are current penalties called more frequency and more realistically?

Is Jump the Snap in the game?
These were good questions too.. particularly more specifics on the stat banners.
 
# 77 ch46647 @ 05/21/11 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptOhio
good lord that was a lot of questions answer in a few minutes lol
Yea you are the man! A majority of us here really appreciate it.
 
# 78 Pared @ 05/21/11 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptOhio
Will do man, maybe your guys wanna see if the mods will post a thread for questions in case they do another event and i am lucky enough to make a return visit. Then myself or one of the others can take a list down of things to look into.
Just a heads up script:

You are free to do this yourself. If you need help from someone on staff, feel free to PM them.

Just don't do it and not follow through... ya know?
 
# 79 SteelerSpartan @ 05/21/11 03:38 PM
*Can the CPU Successfully Punt inside the 20 and not shank it every time the ball is inside the 50?????

*Will the CPU attempt Realistic FGs....and not constantly try and kick a 55+ Yarder

*Will more/variety of penalties be called

*Can you set special formations/packages outside of a game??

.....What I mean is, in 11, if you played a Play Now game...everytime you did, you'd have to go in and change the formation subs again.....can we do this outside of the game and have it so those personnel packages we create always load up when we pick that team???
 
# 80 TreFacTor @ 05/21/11 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptOhio
Since I haven't played the game in over a week, and there has probably been 5 or 6 complete updates since I left... I would venture to say I don't know of any. I can say that since all 8 issues I brought to the dev team while I was there got fixed while I was there. Now whether or jot those fixes caused other problems... I am not sure. I will see the next time I go down there. This blog wasn't about the game being flawless, it is about the areas that really impressed me and how the game is head and shoulders above any previous gen version.
what were those 8 issues?
 


Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.