Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game Informer posted a story today detailing all of the changes to NCAA Football 12's biggest modes. However, it appears the outlet may have jumped the gun when it comes to revealing the Road to Glory details because they were removed shortly after publication -- of course, we will attach those RTG details at the bottom of the story since OS user illwill10 saved the info.

Most of the info about Dynasty mode was revealed by IGN on Friday, so even the video Game Informer posted does not provide much new info on this front, but it's still another chance to listen to the smooth-sounding Kirk Herbstreit -- he's so dreamy. In the video, you can see the implementation of custom conferences, the Coaching Carousel and creating a coach.

Beyond the video, one new aspect that we previously did not know about Dynasty mode is the real-world cost of some of the "premium" features included with the Online Dynasty mode.

Online Dynasty Mode
  • Commish can advance the week from the web – but only if you pay a one-time fee of $2.99 or 240 Microsoft Points
  • You can super-sim your games versus the CPU on the web -- including calling plays, modifying your depth chart, and more. You can also pause the game at any time, sim forward a quarter, etc. Again, however, this will cost you a one-time fee of $2.99 or 240 Microsoft Points.
  • Both of the above browser features can be bought in one Commissioner Pack for $6.99/560 MP, and the pack also includes the ability to be commish to up to five dynasties.

Some people will obviously be upset about these micro-transactions, especially because they are web-only features, but it's really up to consumers to decide whether or not these things are worth their money. Last year, folks had to pay extra if they wanted to run more than one online dynasty, and that cost is still here, but it's being grouped in with a bunch of other "premium" features that can be purchased in the "Commissioner Pack" for $6.99. It is also worth noting that it cost $14.99 to commish five online dynasties in NCAA Football 11, while this year the cost is considerably less.

The other interesting part of this story is how the Road to Glory mode will seemingly be devoid of ways to make your way through it in a quicker fashion via micro-transactions.

Road to Glory Mode
  • XP you earn during your college career is spent on item packs in the Upgrade Store. These packs are built around groups of attributes for specific types of players. For example, the scat back pack boosts your acceleration and juke ability
  • There are 600 item packs total, and they’ll be six different ones available each week. Rarity, cost, and duration vary, but they will all be based around your position
  • Upgrade Store items cannot be bought via micro-transactions

Of course, there could be other micro-transactions we have just not heard about yet for RTG, but for the time being, this type of design decision flies in the face of previous EA Sports efforts where you could buy your way to being the best if you did not want to spend the time to build up your character on your own.

Lastly, as promised, here is the full list of Road to Glory details that were originally in the Game Informer story:

This year's [Road to Glory] mode is designed by former Auburn running back Alex Howell. He says his aim is to "create as much of my high school and college experience that I could through Road to Glory."

High School
  • Explores your high school years more in depth, so you'll play a full senior season and gain recruiting points that are based on your stats.
  • After each game you'll pick three local schools of varying prestige that are interested in you
  • Your recruiting board shows which schools you've picked and how far you are to earning a scholarship for each one. You can walk on to any school, but if you have a scholarship, you'll be able to transfer your recruiting points into XP for college
  • You'll play and be recruited on both sides of the ball
  • You can edit your HS senior season from seven to eleven games, and can import online browser-built Team Builder teams as your opponents. This lets you recreate your real-life high school team's schedule if you want

College

Coach's Trust
  • You work your way up the depth chart by earning Coach's Trust Points, and even when you have enough points to catch the player who's higher than you on the chart, you can then only take that position by winning a Position Battle – which is a glorified practice session
  • Non-starters will earn Trust Points through practices and occasions when you see the field during mop-up time, etc.
  • Coach Trust Points extend to your on-the-field power. QBs won't be able to call audibles or hot routes until they have earned the coach's trust
  • Earn enough points and you can have the chance to call plays from "Extra Plays" – an extended selection of plays than what the coach has already called. This is available in varying frequency during a game the more Trust Points you earn
  • The development team is also working on improving the AI play calling

XP and the Upgrade Store
  • XP you earn during your college career is spent on item packs in the Upgrade Store. These packs are built around groups of attributes for specific types of players. For example, the scat back pack boosts your acceleration and juke ability
  • There are 600 item packs total, and they'll be six different ones available each week. Rarity, cost, and duration vary, but they will all be based around your position
  • Upgrade Store items cannot be bought via micro-transactions

Misc.
  • Calendar system scrapped, and the Road to Glory presentation is similar to the Dynasty Mode's menus
  • The mode's menus, replays, montages, etc. will be centered around your player
  • Practices are now 25 reps per practice
  • Can save all your Road to Glory replays onto your NCAA browser page
  • No more study sessions on your calendar

Source - Deep Inside NCAA Football 12 (Game Informer)

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Roggie @ 05/23/11 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc50
If they're being serious with that BS, that might have moved me from "sure buy" status to "probably rent it and see how it goes" status. When they told us that we could sim games on the CPU last week, that was easily one of my top 2 favorite new things. Until now.
Being an OD commish, why should I have to pay 3 bucks just to advance on the web? Flat out joke. I don't mind the charging to host more than one, because it takes up space on their server (still shouldn't have to, but it's understandable). But paying to ADVANCE A FREAKIN DYNASTY?

I planned on running a solo OD too, where I'd just super sim while sitting at work and recruit (Hey, I work in a toll booth. It's slow.) I really don't want to waste 7 dollars to do both (if I'd do both, I'd just get the pack so I can host up to 5 ODs, since I'd need to host 2 to do it.) Just a total ripoff.

# 42 cts @ 05/23/11 12:44 PM
The ability to recruit, sim, and advance weeks basically gives you a PC game...to go along with the console game.

I don't see an issue with them charging for that. Especially since you can still have an OD without using those options. I can see why people would get mad, but I can see why they are charging for it, for sure.

# 43 arobbi3 @ 05/23/11 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie
Being an OD commish, why should I have to pay 3 bucks just to advance on the web? Flat out joke. I don't mind the charging to host more than one, because it takes up space on their server (still shouldn't have to, but it's understandable). But paying to ADVANCE A FREAKIN DYNASTY?

I planned on running a solo OD too, where I'd just super sim while sitting at work and recruit (Hey, I work in a toll booth. It's slow.) I really don't want to waste 7 dollars to do both (if I'd do both, I'd just get the pack so I can host up to 5 ODs, since I'd need to host 2 to do it.) Just a total ripoff.

EA has to pay for the servers somehow...

# 44 TheBauerHour @ 05/23/11 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc50
Man, I was getting excited about today. So far, I've seen 2 things that have made me not care nearly as much about the new additions:

1. Paying to sim on the web
2. Not hiring your own coordinators as a HC

Basically, #1 is them just being greedy. #2 means that we can't control our own teams and that there can't be coach ratings because if there were and we still weren't able to hire our own coordinators, that'd be so messed up. So basically, coaching carousel is just moving playbooks around and the actual coaches don't matter at all.

Those 2 things right there is EA pretty much saying "Go f*ck yourselves" IMO. Why implement something if you can't do it right?
What exactly do you want coordinators to do once you're the head coach? Give you an extra, unnecessary boost?

# 45 Roggie @ 05/23/11 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith.0
The ability to recruit, sim, and advance weeks basically gives you a PC game...to go along with the console game.

I don't see an issue with them charging for that. Especially since you can still have an OD without using those options. I can see why people would get mad, but I can see why they are charging for it, for sure.
I understand why they charge for hosting more than 1 OD (as I explained earlier). I understand charging for boosts, since they're a cheat. I don't understand charging to advance online, which does NOTHING extra to their server compared to advancing off the console. Super Sim online, I understand because it's on a PC and it probably is harder on the server, as it has to remember everything without storing information like a console can.

# 46 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/23/11 12:49 PM
Quote:
Full Coach editing (both Head coaches and coordinators) is available in the front end under Team Management. The coaches are saved to the active roster file, so if you upload/download an edited roster file you will also upload/download any edits to coaches that are on that file.

http://www.ea.com/ncaa-football/blog/dynasty-overview

Full CC blog tomorrow

# 47 DorianDonP @ 05/23/11 12:49 PM
At least it's been confirmed that we can edit players

# 48 dhs22p @ 05/23/11 12:49 PM
I was looking through the comments on Facebook and saw this posted by EA.

# 49 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/23/11 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arobbi3
EA has to pay for the servers somehow...
That is why we already pay for an EA online PASS for EVERY EA game.

# 50 volstopfan14 @ 05/23/11 12:49 PM
Does anyone know if you can import a RTG players to a coordinator after the RTG is over?

# 51 The GIGGAS @ 05/23/11 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I look forward to the Custom Conferences blog.

# 52 Dbrentonbuck @ 05/23/11 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by volstopfan14
Yeah I mean it isn't a gamebreaker but if coaches had ratings (which they should but apparently do not) then it would be cool to have assistants who effected your team. I guess it just kind of seemed like a no brainer that that would be in as part of CC.
Couldn't agree more. I don't get it. So, basically, the only thing that changes when you work your way through the ranks and become a head coach is that you get to call plays on both sides of the ball. That really is a let down. I would have liked to have seen a lot more responsibility given to you as a head coach. This would include being able to hire/fire coordinators, the ability to train/improve coordinators and watching them take jobs at other schools and starting your own coaching tree, increased recruiting abilities, etc. As it is now, there is no big incentive to become a head coach.

# 53 TheBauerHour @ 05/23/11 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrentonbuck
Couldn't agree more. I don't get it. So, basically, the only thing that changes when you work your way through the ranks and become a head coach is that you get to call plays on both sides of the ball. That really is a let down. I would have liked to have seen a lot more responsibility given to you as a head coach. This would include being able to hire/fire coordinators, the ability to train/improve coordinators and watching them take jobs at other schools and starting your own coaching tree, increased recruiting abilities, etc. As it is now, there is no big incentive to become a head coach.
Why do people insist on boosts for having, hiring, firing, and improving coordinators? YOU control the team now. YOU'RE head coach. YOU are making the decisions that affect the entire team. I don't see coordinators being any more than middle-men to your players on the practice field once you're the coach.

# 54 smace767 @ 05/23/11 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith.0

Exactly. Nothing is free.

EA is a business. I get that. The cost is minimal when you compare what it can do, and how long you get something out of it vs going to a movie, a couple packs of cigarettes, 7 bucks worth of beer alcohol. I would not expect to get an online pc game for free.

3 dollars for an online NCAA pc game is nothing to me. One less six pack and i can play dynasty games online for at least a year. Im buyin it.

# 55 TheBauerHour @ 05/23/11 12:56 PM
Also, for the minor charge to have extra OD controls for your PC, I'd like to consider this as an "add-on". Add-ons are never free. If you want a little extra, you gotta pay for it. It's not like they're charging you to have custom conferences or for the use of team builder, it's an extra service.

# 56 K0ZZ @ 05/23/11 12:58 PM
I could see coordinators being a key point in recruiting but really outside of a small boost to players ratings they are irrelevant to being hired.

It would be nice to see them add a coaching style to the recruiting process. A speed QB would not join a Pro Style or traditional team as quickly as they would a spread or option squad.

The RTG updates sound nice, but I don't really have the patience to make up my old HS conference so I can play on my team again.

[If Bull rushing works, I'll be able to remake myself for one RTG, except I would actually play for a D1 school rather than just get mailed for D3 ]

# 57 cts @ 05/23/11 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBauerHour
What exactly do you want coordinators to do once you're the head coach? Give you an extra, unnecessary boost?
It'd be fine if Coordinators do nothing in this first implementation of CC. I think in the future, for me, I'd like to see them have an effect on recruiting, maybe improve a certain position's play/AWR, and [pipe dream] call the plays in a "gameflow" type of thing.

If they don't do anything [in the long-term scope of the game], they are just there to provide users with a new challenge to start up a dynasty...which is fine in and of itself.

# 58 Roggie @ 05/23/11 01:00 PM
Well, since coaches retire, the assistants become future head coaches. So even though they seem useless, in the future of the dynasty they aren't.

# 59 TheBauerHour @ 05/23/11 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie
Well, since coaches retire, the assistants become future head coaches. So even though they seem useless, in the future of the dynasty they aren't.
This brings up a thought. When I'm in year 2029 of my dynasty, is JoPa still going to be at Penn State?

# 60 TracerBullet @ 05/23/11 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
I look forward to the Custom Conferences blog.
Same here, has me the most excited. Glad it will no longer be a crapshoot as to which teams get bumped up if need be. That and taking away the Big East's AQ status (unless they decide not to be terrible next year) will be on my priority list after a few seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBauerHour
This brings up a thought. When I'm in year 2029 of my dynasty, is JoPa still going to be at Penn State?
Doubt it, he will probably retire pretty early on seeing as age is a factor.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.