Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game Informer posted a story today detailing all of the changes to NCAA Football 12's biggest modes. However, it appears the outlet may have jumped the gun when it comes to revealing the Road to Glory details because they were removed shortly after publication -- of course, we will attach those RTG details at the bottom of the story since OS user illwill10 saved the info.

Most of the info about Dynasty mode was revealed by IGN on Friday, so even the video Game Informer posted does not provide much new info on this front, but it's still another chance to listen to the smooth-sounding Kirk Herbstreit -- he's so dreamy. In the video, you can see the implementation of custom conferences, the Coaching Carousel and creating a coach.

Beyond the video, one new aspect that we previously did not know about Dynasty mode is the real-world cost of some of the "premium" features included with the Online Dynasty mode.

Online Dynasty Mode
  • Commish can advance the week from the web – but only if you pay a one-time fee of $2.99 or 240 Microsoft Points
  • You can super-sim your games versus the CPU on the web -- including calling plays, modifying your depth chart, and more. You can also pause the game at any time, sim forward a quarter, etc. Again, however, this will cost you a one-time fee of $2.99 or 240 Microsoft Points.
  • Both of the above browser features can be bought in one Commissioner Pack for $6.99/560 MP, and the pack also includes the ability to be commish to up to five dynasties.

Some people will obviously be upset about these micro-transactions, especially because they are web-only features, but it's really up to consumers to decide whether or not these things are worth their money. Last year, folks had to pay extra if they wanted to run more than one online dynasty, and that cost is still here, but it's being grouped in with a bunch of other "premium" features that can be purchased in the "Commissioner Pack" for $6.99. It is also worth noting that it cost $14.99 to commish five online dynasties in NCAA Football 11, while this year the cost is considerably less.

The other interesting part of this story is how the Road to Glory mode will seemingly be devoid of ways to make your way through it in a quicker fashion via micro-transactions.

Road to Glory Mode
  • XP you earn during your college career is spent on item packs in the Upgrade Store. These packs are built around groups of attributes for specific types of players. For example, the scat back pack boosts your acceleration and juke ability
  • There are 600 item packs total, and they’ll be six different ones available each week. Rarity, cost, and duration vary, but they will all be based around your position
  • Upgrade Store items cannot be bought via micro-transactions

Of course, there could be other micro-transactions we have just not heard about yet for RTG, but for the time being, this type of design decision flies in the face of previous EA Sports efforts where you could buy your way to being the best if you did not want to spend the time to build up your character on your own.

Lastly, as promised, here is the full list of Road to Glory details that were originally in the Game Informer story:

This year's [Road to Glory] mode is designed by former Auburn running back Alex Howell. He says his aim is to "create as much of my high school and college experience that I could through Road to Glory."

High School
  • Explores your high school years more in depth, so you'll play a full senior season and gain recruiting points that are based on your stats.
  • After each game you'll pick three local schools of varying prestige that are interested in you
  • Your recruiting board shows which schools you've picked and how far you are to earning a scholarship for each one. You can walk on to any school, but if you have a scholarship, you'll be able to transfer your recruiting points into XP for college
  • You'll play and be recruited on both sides of the ball
  • You can edit your HS senior season from seven to eleven games, and can import online browser-built Team Builder teams as your opponents. This lets you recreate your real-life high school team's schedule if you want

College

Coach's Trust
  • You work your way up the depth chart by earning Coach's Trust Points, and even when you have enough points to catch the player who's higher than you on the chart, you can then only take that position by winning a Position Battle – which is a glorified practice session
  • Non-starters will earn Trust Points through practices and occasions when you see the field during mop-up time, etc.
  • Coach Trust Points extend to your on-the-field power. QBs won't be able to call audibles or hot routes until they have earned the coach's trust
  • Earn enough points and you can have the chance to call plays from "Extra Plays" – an extended selection of plays than what the coach has already called. This is available in varying frequency during a game the more Trust Points you earn
  • The development team is also working on improving the AI play calling

XP and the Upgrade Store
  • XP you earn during your college career is spent on item packs in the Upgrade Store. These packs are built around groups of attributes for specific types of players. For example, the scat back pack boosts your acceleration and juke ability
  • There are 600 item packs total, and they'll be six different ones available each week. Rarity, cost, and duration vary, but they will all be based around your position
  • Upgrade Store items cannot be bought via micro-transactions

Misc.
  • Calendar system scrapped, and the Road to Glory presentation is similar to the Dynasty Mode's menus
  • The mode's menus, replays, montages, etc. will be centered around your player
  • Practices are now 25 reps per practice
  • Can save all your Road to Glory replays onto your NCAA browser page
  • No more study sessions on your calendar

Source - Deep Inside NCAA Football 12 (Game Informer)

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 volstopfan14 @ 05/23/11 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen20
Can we control a school without being the coach? Can I be Miami, but not be Al Golden so maybe fire years down the line I can fire Golden, and bring in an Air Raid offense, or triple option? I am hoping I don't have to be locked into a coach.

Also, I hope the blog shows some examples of the Coaching Carousel in action maybe 5 years down the road. I'd like to see what offenses some schools are running. Is Georgia Tech still running the triple option or did Paul Johnson maybe move on to a bigger school. Who will be the head coach after Joe Paterno and Jim Tressel? I hope it works good because it could be a lot of fun if it does.
No I'm pretty sure you have to be the coach in dynasty. You don't have to be the current coach though, you can create a guy and go to Miami with the Air Raid or triple option. What your talking about would probably be considered an AD mode.

# 122 poopoop @ 05/23/11 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith.0
Nobody said its like getting a free PC game. Its a more or less an add-on PC game that costs $3 to $7 bucks. And most importantly, its optional.

That's not really an opinon, more fact.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Nah.

It's just supersimming the game from your computer instead of from your console. That's like saying online recruiting is a add-on PC game. Luckily for us that "game" is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty
Its a niche feature that, as has already been mentioned on this thread, a lot of people aren't even going to use, so I disagree that its part of the full OD feature set. Its an add-on product.
All I know is they spent dev time on both time that could've instead have been spent on things included in the $60 game. If you want access to the full OD feature set they worked on it's a $67 game not a $60 one. If you're fine paying $67 then ok, good for you. Just don't try to make it something it's not.

# 123 hurricanefootball4 @ 05/23/11 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by volstopfan14
No I'm pretty sure you have to be the coach in dynasty. You don't have to be the current coach though, you can create a guy and go to Miami with the Air Raid or triple option. What your talking about would probably be considered an AD mode.
I hope we are still able to start a "new career" mid-dynasty and take over another coach - I like to manage multiple teams.

It would also be very lame if you took over JoePa and after 2 years your dynasty just ended. You should be able to pick up in 2013 with a new coach

# 124 MrMiller84 @ 05/23/11 05:08 PM
This is the best news EA has ever brought into this series. This will be the best sports game of the year. I don't think this game will leave my console until MW3 comes out. The ability to recreate my high school days is insane. To play on both sides of the ball.For Dynasty mode or Team Builder, does anyone know if we will see conf. football patches when you import teams or jump conferences. For example, if Georgia Tech moves into the SEC will they replace the ACC patch on the jersey with the SEC patch like they do the logos on the field.

# 125 Halo972 @ 05/23/11 05:09 PM
"No conference creation or BCS playoff-style tournament" I'm sold!

# 126 Scott @ 05/23/11 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo972
"No conference creation or BCS playoff-style tournament" I'm sold!
Way to overlook all the other improvements.

# 127 cts @ 05/23/11 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
Nah.

It's just supersimming the game from your computer instead of from your console. That's like saying online recruiting is a add-on PC game. Luckily for us that "game" is free.
I guess I must have been out of the video game world too long now. Most console games must provide the ability to do things online that pertain to the game? If that's the case, I'll understand you guys up in arms about paying $7 for it...like I said I could understand anyway.

Good thing it's an option, and you can still do anything that the add-on allows you to do online, on your console.

# 128 poopoop @ 05/23/11 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith.0
I guess I must have been out of the video game world too long now. Most console games must provide the ability to do things online that pertain to the game? If that's the case, I'll understand you guys up in arms about paying $7 for it...like I said I could understand anyway.

Good thing it's an option, and you can still do anything that the add-on allows you to do online, on your console.

I don't see how you came to this conclusion based on anything I said. Not even sure why you're asking me this.

And yes it is an option, that part was never up for debate.

# 129 Halo972 @ 05/23/11 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I'm not overlooking all the other great improvements but bcs playoff is one of the things that NCAA is not doing but ea has the ballz to to do!

# 130 sparkdawg777 @ 05/23/11 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMiller84
This is the best news EA has ever brought into this series. This will be the best sports game of the year. I don't think this game will leave my console until MW3 comes out. The ability to recreate my high school days is insane. To play on both sides of the ball.For Dynasty mode or Team Builder, does anyone know if we will see conf. football patches when you import teams or jump conferences. For example, if Georgia Tech moves into the SEC will they replace the ACC patch on the jersey with the SEC patch like they do the logos on the field.

That got me really excited too, a lot of top prospects play both ways. Clemson's 2 5* LBs coming in both played RB and were very good. I played mostly defense in HS because our team was good enough on offense that I didn't have to play both ways but I sometimes I wish I played more on offense and now I will be able to do that!

# 131 canes21 @ 05/23/11 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Sometimes only one thing will dictate a person's purchase or not. He might only buy the game when it gets the playoff option. If that is the case, it is his loss.

# 132 cts @ 05/23/11 05:29 PM
Quote:
I don't see how you came to this conclusion based on anything I said. Not even sure why you're asking me this.

And yes it is an option, that part was never up for debate.
My point is, and has been that it's not unreasonable that they are charging people for a feature that gives users the ability to play the game [albeit a sim-based version] from anywhere there is an internet connection.

I don't think any other games give you that as part of the $60 you would pay for it. But I don't know the answer to that, since I don't play more than a game or two, hence me asking.

I'm not throwing shots at you, just responding to your post about why people are defending what they are doing. No need to get defensive about it.

# 133 mattbooty @ 05/23/11 05:31 PM
Quote:
Honestly that is correct, I am surprised they did not build online recruiting into the online "premium" package you have to pay for. No one said additional online "separate from your xbox" features had to be included in the game (obviously the online features within the xbox game are a different matter). If we were talking about features you accessed from within your xbox console I'd be right with you in questioning this.

Quote:
All I know is they spent dev time on both time that could've instead have been spent on things included in the $60 game.
Can you please explain how you "know" they spent dev time on this that could have been spent on things they wouldn't have charged for? The resources spent on developing this didn't necessarily take away from the team working on the base product and could have been created specifically for this revenue-generating add-on in mind. I'm not saying it definitely was one way or another, but to say you KNOW that is what happened I think is a little presumptuous.

Quote:
If you want access to the full OD feature set they worked on it's a $67 game not a $60 one. If you're fine paying $67 then ok, good for you. Just don't try to make it something it's not.
Again, this is subject to opinion. You can do everything in your OD on your xbox without having these. If you want to move to another platform (PC) to perform these activities, you pay a premium. Its the definition of add-on. Just because you believe it should be part of the base package doesn't make it so.

you can disagree with me all you want, I have no problem with other opinions, and I'm not saying I'm definitively right or that there even is a right, what I am arguing is your making it black and white that its nowa $67 product and they took dev time away from the base product and that this is definitely part of the full OD feature set. Yes I am ok paying the additional $7 for the add-on as I will use it more than enough to get my money's worth. Do I wish it were free? Of course. Was I disappointed when I saw it was a premium add-on today? Very... but I understand why they did it this way and if given the option between having these features for $7 and not having them at all I'd rather be where we are now.

# 134 Jakeness23 @ 05/23/11 05:32 PM
So now that they have a place where you can import schools from teambuilder and play a full high school season... how far are we from EA creating a game where it's all TeamBuilder and it's high school dynasties and a RTG that starts when you're 15?!

# 135 TDenverFan @ 05/23/11 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
So now that they have a place where you can import schools from teambuilder and play a full high school season... how far are we from EA creating a game where it's all TeamBuilder and it's high school dynasties and a RTG that starts when you're 15?!
I'd say it's a shot to play RTG as a Frosh in HS EVENTUALLY, but as a stand-alone game? Never

# 136 sparkdawg777 @ 05/23/11 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23

I'm not sure but hopefully they will eventually add a co-op RTG. My roommate and I like to create ourselves and play on the same team in a dynasty, we played HS ball together and both played defense so it would be fun to play our senior year again and then possibly get recruited by the same school and go there. I'm not sure how much work would be needed but it seems no different than playing a dynasty with more than 1 user.

# 137 Da Hype Iz Real @ 05/23/11 05:48 PM
Since its mentioned that when schools are hiring coaches you get a boost in chance of being hired if you use the same type of playbook I wonder how does that correspond with custom playbooks. My first guess is that custom playbooks would be automatically given the Multiple Offense Style or the style of the base playbook we use.

# 138 da ThRONe @ 05/23/11 05:50 PM
Has it been confirmed that the named rosters will be accessible during RTG. I imagine if you can use the coaches roster in every mode you can do the samething with player rosters.

# 139 illwill10 @ 05/23/11 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Has it been confirmed that the named rosters will be accessible during RTG. I imagine if you can use the coaches roster in every mode you can do the samething with player rosters.
It would be a great feature. I think it will be available for HS season. I really would like to play on a TB team.
I doubt it but I wouild love RTG to get Presentation. Especially Team Entrances focused around you and commentary about you.
I am expecting newer stuff with Erin Andrews and Kirk Herb.

# 140 Zasnow @ 05/23/11 05:55 PM
I really like the team builder feature for high school teams. I wonder if they will allow us to edit the teams equipment offline or just have to deal with random equipment for our teammates?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.