Home
NHL 12 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

IGN checks in today with the first hard info about NHL 12. The coverages includes a first-look preview, and an EA-created video featuring NHL 12 line producer, Sean Ramjagsingh.

As of now, it looks like presentation, physics and chaos are the highlights so far. The video shows off big checks that send players through glass, onto benches and into goalies. The video also seems to be showing off some nice pregame presentation touches for (at least) the Winter Classic, which was earlier confirmed to be in the game via the first screen released for NHL 12. Lastly, stuff like helmets being knocked off and goalies being able to fight goalies highlights some of the chaos we can expect to see in the game this year.

The IGN preview highlights a lot of small things (or big ones, depending on your viewpoint), including new TSN/Versus styled in-game overlays, an NHL GameCenter-like summary system in the pause menu, jockeying for position in front of the goalie, and general discussion about how goalies will act differently and fight to look through screens and jumbled messes in front of the net.

Jockeying for position in front of the net and interacting with goalies are two big elements that should add a lot to the game, but I can't help but be a bit concerned about all the big checks and so forth shown in the first video. NHL 11 was a great game, but the physical play got more and more out of hand as the season went on this year. It's going to be important that the developers figure out how to balance out the chaos and checking with sound defensive plays and proper positioning. If the game once again devolves into going for open-ice checks because it's the easiest and most effective way to play defense, then the developers will have missed an opportunity to properly show off the type of physical play that is really important in the NHL. It is those moments in front of the net where you fight for position or battle for a rebound that are truly important if you want to get a win.

As for the release date, the video showed that the new release date for NHL 12 is September 13, 2011. This is only a week later than last year, which is surprising and yet not at the same time. EA does seem to want to sync up its video games with the start of the real sport's season, but unless FIFA's release date changes from late September in the US, NHL 12 can only be so close to October before it starts to get sucked into FIFA's release-date window.

Operation Sports will be at E3 this year to get a look at NHL 12, so stay tuned for more coverage in the coming weeks.

Source - The Little Things Count in NHL 12 (IGN)

*UPDATE*

We received a press release that sheds a bit more light on a couple things:

Be a Pro mode updated:

Quote:
In the revamped Be a Pro mode, experience the pursuit of greatness and legendary moments in your playing career, shatter historic records and cement yourself in NHL history. Additionally, the better you play, the more ice time you’ll get where you can simulate to your next shift so you’re always on the ice as you play out your entire career in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

Presentation touches:

Quote:
All new gameplay presentation creates an authentic, fresh new look and feel throughout NHL 12 with presentation graphics that mimic real life hockey broadcasts. For the first time ever lace up outdoors under the lights in one of the biggest hockey events of the season, the 2011 NHL Winter Classic® at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, within seconds of putting in the disc. Inspired by the NHL GameCenter Ice Tracker, the all-new EA SPORTS Action Tracker simulates action without missing a beat with a shift-by-shift breakdown of stats and key moments leading up to your next shift.

NHL 12 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 tyler289 @ 05/24/11 05:38 PM
The fact that goalie fights are on the "whiteboard" makes me cautious about how much improvement we'll actually see in the gameplay. Goalie fights should've been a minor, minor addition... (at least in my opinion)

# 42 savoie2006 @ 05/24/11 05:45 PM
Hopefully the MAJOR announcment is Online Franchise mode

Like I said, all the catering to casuals first bugs me.

# 43 Flamesfan102 @ 05/24/11 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006

It is probably EA announcing the NCAA is in the game

# 44 SwinginAs12 @ 05/24/11 06:29 PM
The Shot of the Canucks scoring makes it look like they improved the net physics...no?

# 45 statum71 @ 05/24/11 06:33 PM
HUGE fan of TV style presentation.

Very interested in this new Versus style addition.....

# 46 infernoisdead @ 05/24/11 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006

If they do this they better impliment multi team offline Be A GM. I've been hoping for this ever since GM has been a part of the game. Every other major sports title has this, why can't NHL?

# 47 The Amaizen Blue @ 05/24/11 06:57 PM
So I assume every time Holmstrom scores, it will be waved off to make the game more authentic

# 48 LiberNull @ 05/24/11 07:09 PM
I just hope we get new commentators. Getting boring listening to Thorne and Clemente over and over with the same boring bs for 3+ years now. Just give us something new. Would be nice with Joe Beninati imo... or even Jim Hughson back would be an improvement.

# 49 The Visualizer @ 05/24/11 07:56 PM
I'll buy this day 1, but that video was almost as underwhelming as the screenshot released...

I like the fighting for position in the crease, that's a good addition and "everything is live" hopefully means sticks interact with everything when you are carrying them so you can't dangle thru people's limbs anymore. Goalies can't be any worse than NHL11 so any improvement is appreciated.

All of those things sound like nice additions but will mean absolutely nothing unless is hitting is drastically toned down. All the hitting and focus on contact is almost insulting to fans of the sport. I'm afraid nothing is gonna change from NHL11, EA is gonna leave hitting as it is to show off their "real physics" and "player size matters now" bullet points on the back of the box.

# 50 SinisterAlex @ 05/24/11 08:18 PM
http://forum.canucks.com/topic/30398...st__p__9704236

Above is a page on the Canucks forum with some more images, some of which shows off the new game tracker feature and the improved Be a Pro Mode.

# 51 piffbernd @ 05/24/11 08:22 PM
I hope it is possible to play GM mode with all team together like MLB the show. Draft classes must be better or the should allow to import like NHL2k. Signing a Player should be easier Turris wants 5.2 Mill for 6 years, why I can give him not a offer for 3-4 mill for 2 years. Whats is with Calgary - Montreal Heritage Classic.
Roster exchange for PS3, too.

# 52 psymin1 @ 05/24/11 08:22 PM
Leave it to Fiddy to point out the obvious: Goalie fights were in NHL 2004! First time ever? That statement alone has me worried. How do you not know the history of your own franchise?

Other than that gross oversight, the presentation fixes sound nice. I'll be interested to see how it plays, though. Being the hockey fanatic that I am, I will buy it on launch day to find out.

The Amaizen Blue is absolutely right, lol. Holmer had to set a record for most waved off goals in one season this past season. I wish they kept that stat!

# 53 Flyermania @ 05/24/11 08:33 PM
Pretty cool features...oh wait, I was reading the back of my NHL 2004 box.

Nothing really earth-shattering for me in this news...one can only hope the helmet-popping, glass-shattering action is done in moderation.

# 54 savoie2006 @ 05/24/11 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psymin1
Leave it to Fiddy to point out the obvious: Goalie fights were in NHL 2004! First time ever? That statement alone has me worried. How do you not know the history of your own franchise?

Other than that gross oversight, the presentation fixes sound nice. I'll be interested to see how it plays, though. Being the hockey fanatic that I am, I will buy it on launch day to find out.

The Amaizen Blue is absolutely right, lol. Holmer had to set a record for most waved off goals in one season this past season. I wish they kept that stat!
C'mon, everyone knows they mean first time ever on the 360/PS3! Last gen doesn't count folks, not to them at least.

# 55 bdrew18 @ 05/24/11 08:44 PM
Big announcement is hopefully offline two player be a gm!

# 56 ezio @ 05/24/11 08:58 PM
Like most of you, i thought the video was underwhleming. Didn't like much of what I saw except for maybe the crease battles. Otherwise, not much there to be excited about.

# 57 green94 @ 05/24/11 09:53 PM
I liked reading this:

And speaking of benches, players on the team are accurately represented on the benches this year, including the entire roster right down to the backup goaltender nestled in a free corner.

Something about seeing the benches in past games bugged me, glad they fixed this.

# 58 KillHammer @ 05/24/11 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psymin1
They did the same thing last year by saying you could speed burst, hip check and celebrate after a goal for the first time ever.

# 59 bwiggy33 @ 05/24/11 10:41 PM
After criticizing some of the stale parts of NHL the other day, they have come back pretty well. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. One of the biggest down falls is goaltending in this game. You can predict exactly what the goalie will do each and every time. Now that the goalie is in play it is going to make it feel much more dynamic, and the goalie will actually think like a real goalie and adjust to the situation presented to them. I want to be able to play the game and say "How in the hell did he make that save" Obviously I want them to play positionally but even the best goalies (Thomas, Luongo, and Niemi) are all over the place during loose pucks around the net. Also the hitting looked a little bit better. The collisions are a little more life like. When a guy goes straight at a player, the player he hits gets stood up instead of flying over the ice like in NHL 11.

It's still hard to take any of the video footage though because it's not an in game kind of a scenario. It may be actual gameplay footage, but not an in game broadcast. It sounds like those are only a select few of the features though which is a good thing. I'm happy that a couple of them were gameplay. Hopefully the next batch of info will be some more gameplay changes.

# 60 BlueNGold @ 05/25/11 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jattbreed
I just want presentation, real faces, BE A GM FIXED!!! New sim engine (not Crosby getting 67 pts in 82 games, even if I give him 99 stats in everything. I like online as is, I'm a more drop in OTP player.

I am completely ignoring the stupid glass breaking, tie ups, Winter Classic crap, I've seen it before in other games by EA and the Winter Classic would've been surprising to me if it was in the game 3 years ago, not now. Give me something real EA, not this sugar coated crap.
Lol. How is battling in front of the net sugar coated crap? Do you not want this game to resemble what we see in real-life?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.