Home
NHL 12 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

IGN checks in today with the first hard info about NHL 12. The coverages includes a first-look preview, and an EA-created video featuring NHL 12 line producer, Sean Ramjagsingh.

As of now, it looks like presentation, physics and chaos are the highlights so far. The video shows off big checks that send players through glass, onto benches and into goalies. The video also seems to be showing off some nice pregame presentation touches for (at least) the Winter Classic, which was earlier confirmed to be in the game via the first screen released for NHL 12. Lastly, stuff like helmets being knocked off and goalies being able to fight goalies highlights some of the chaos we can expect to see in the game this year.

The IGN preview highlights a lot of small things (or big ones, depending on your viewpoint), including new TSN/Versus styled in-game overlays, an NHL GameCenter-like summary system in the pause menu, jockeying for position in front of the goalie, and general discussion about how goalies will act differently and fight to look through screens and jumbled messes in front of the net.

Jockeying for position in front of the net and interacting with goalies are two big elements that should add a lot to the game, but I can't help but be a bit concerned about all the big checks and so forth shown in the first video. NHL 11 was a great game, but the physical play got more and more out of hand as the season went on this year. It's going to be important that the developers figure out how to balance out the chaos and checking with sound defensive plays and proper positioning. If the game once again devolves into going for open-ice checks because it's the easiest and most effective way to play defense, then the developers will have missed an opportunity to properly show off the type of physical play that is really important in the NHL. It is those moments in front of the net where you fight for position or battle for a rebound that are truly important if you want to get a win.

As for the release date, the video showed that the new release date for NHL 12 is September 13, 2011. This is only a week later than last year, which is surprising and yet not at the same time. EA does seem to want to sync up its video games with the start of the real sport's season, but unless FIFA's release date changes from late September in the US, NHL 12 can only be so close to October before it starts to get sucked into FIFA's release-date window.

Operation Sports will be at E3 this year to get a look at NHL 12, so stay tuned for more coverage in the coming weeks.

Source - The Little Things Count in NHL 12 (IGN)

*UPDATE*

We received a press release that sheds a bit more light on a couple things:

Be a Pro mode updated:

Quote:
In the revamped Be a Pro mode, experience the pursuit of greatness and legendary moments in your playing career, shatter historic records and cement yourself in NHL history. Additionally, the better you play, the more ice time you’ll get where you can simulate to your next shift so you’re always on the ice as you play out your entire career in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

Presentation touches:

Quote:
All new gameplay presentation creates an authentic, fresh new look and feel throughout NHL 12 with presentation graphics that mimic real life hockey broadcasts. For the first time ever lace up outdoors under the lights in one of the biggest hockey events of the season, the 2011 NHL Winter Classic® at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, within seconds of putting in the disc. Inspired by the NHL GameCenter Ice Tracker, the all-new EA SPORTS Action Tracker simulates action without missing a beat with a shift-by-shift breakdown of stats and key moments leading up to your next shift.

NHL 12 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 savoie2006 @ 05/25/11 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Lol. How is battling in front of the net sugar coated crap? Do you not want this game to resemble what we see in real-life?
It's not as long it plays out realistically, as does the rest of the game. At this point, there is issues with the rest of the game(AI,Skating and Puck Physics). So even though it all adds a level of authenticity to the game, it's all for not if the rest of the gameplay is largely the same. That's just my opinion. Add all you want, but if it plays like crap, what does it matter and when do you fix what needs to be fixed? Kudos to EA again for the apparent Presentation upgrade. I just hope the gameplay and BAGM recieved similar love.

# 62 bwiggy33 @ 05/25/11 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Lol. How is battling in front of the net sugar coated crap? Do you not want this game to resemble what we see in real-life?
Agreed! I thought most people wanted net battles. Plus net battles are probably the most important part to hockey. Most goals are scored doing the dirty work in front of the net. Now we are actually able to control that. The video said they added in total control. I assume it's like what they had for last gens games where you hit a button and it switches to whatever guy you want on the rink no matter where the puck is. I'm also assuming they will have different buttons corresponding to the different moves that NHL defenseman do to cover players in front of the net. I believe this could be a major gameplay change if it's done well.

I also thought a lot of people wanted the goalies to feel a part of the game. This has been added. Ya the video doesn't have much glitz, but it is a good start. We have to remember that this is only the first video. Plus we will really never know how everything will play out until we actually play the game for ourselves.

# 63 savoie2006 @ 05/25/11 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Agreed! I thought most people wanted net battles. Plus net battles are probably the most important part to hockey. Most goals are scored doing the dirty work in front of the net. Now we are actually able to control that. The video said they added in total control. I assume it's like what they had for last gens games where you hit a button and it switches to whatever guy you want on the rink no matter where the puck is. I'm also assuming they will have different buttons corresponding to the different moves that NHL defenseman do to cover players in front of the net. I believe this could be a major gameplay change if it's done well.

I also thought a lot of people wanted the goalies to feel a part of the game. This has been added. Ya the video doesn't have much glitz, but it is a good start. We have to remember that this is only the first video. Plus we will really never know how everything will play out until we actually play the game for ourselves.
Yes, they are both cool aspects to add to the game, BUT based on the video I'm wary of the goalie interaction. If the Goalie interfence penalty is touch or has to potential to be, this will be a very welcome addition. Last year there was a problem with Interference, so I really hope they have that fixed or there will be problems with these two new features.

The checking through the glass and such is also nice, so long as it's a rare occasion. If it happens often, the game starts resembling Hitz rather than a Hockey.

# 64 jaiman @ 05/25/11 01:42 AM
Show me a simple picture of a new real life broadcast camera and I will be sold. Please tell me they added this in! The first step to a presentation overhaul IMO.

# 65 Vikes1 @ 05/25/11 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer

I like the fighting for position in the crease, that's a good addition and "everything is live" hopefully means sticks interact with everything when you are carrying them so you can't dangle thru people's limbs anymore.
These are a couple of big ones for me.

The fighting for position in the crease, will hopefully lead to a lot more battles for the puck in and around the paint.

And as you mentioned about the sticks hopefully no longer morphing through things, [legs, etc..] I think that would make a big difference in how the game plays. Huge advantage to the puck carrier when his stick has really no barriers.

# 66 ceeejay @ 05/25/11 02:19 AM
You could tie up players in from of the net in NHL 07 on 360. It was actually quite well done.

I dont know a whole lot about playing defense in Hockey, so I would just go and tie up guys in fron tof the net. It gave me something clear to do
rather than flailing and button mashing. The animation was cool too.

I was quite annoyed that it vanished from all subsequent iterations. Glad
its making a comeback but like all the other stuff, its nothing new.

# 67 bwiggy33 @ 05/25/11 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Yes, they are both cool aspects to add to the game, BUT based on the video I'm wary of the goalie interaction. If the Goalie interfence penalty is touch or has to potential to be, this will be a very welcome addition. Last year there was a problem with Interference, so I really hope they have that fixed or there will be problems with these two new features.

The checking through the glass and such is also nice, so long as it's a rare occasion. If it happens often, the game starts resembling Hitz rather than a Hockey.
Very true. I'm hoping the glass breaking is like seeing HR reviews in MLB The Show but even rarer. There may have been one or two instances this NHL year where the glass broke because of a hit. It doesn't happen often which makes it one of those things where if they leave it out of the game it's perfectly fine, but if it's in the game and done correctly it's a bonus.

The big key for me is the goalie in play addition. This 100% must be done correctly otherwise I think it could make or break the game. Goalies are very touchy in video games and making this big of a change is pretty gutsy I think. My idea of them redoing the goalies was making them move and act more life like, instead of them playing with canned save animations and doing one fast gliding motions across the crease. I would have never thought about having the goalie actually in play and being moved by other players. Hopefully the goalie in play addition led them to also redoing all of the goalie movements and saves as well. It will be really interesting to see this in action.

# 68 Lofton @ 05/25/11 06:44 AM
Loved it, I'm pumped for NHL12

As a defensemen I have been wanting to tie up the forwards down low, in front of the goalie.

Now just give me more option whens creating a player . . faces, more gear old school gear and I'll be happy

# 69 renatus @ 05/25/11 08:00 AM
so from the video i couldnt tell if you get real arenas finaly?

# 70 Nittany @ 05/25/11 08:36 AM
I am liking some of the new additions...but I need EASHL info. I am hoping that they let us chose the type of cpu teammates (2 way D, tough D) and give us the option to change a goalie. If my cpu goalie lets in 5 goals on 5 shots...let me pull him and try the back up.

I also hope they change the EASHL playoff formal. win 4 games in row...champs? Yuck. How about setting up 7 game series....and keep stats for the entire playoffs. That would be awesome...

Hopefully, the big announcement will involve the EASHL!

# 71 Money99 @ 05/25/11 10:03 AM
I really hope BAP and BaGM get a HUGE upgrade this year.
No more horrible stats. And I want a very deep BAP experience. Start in the CHL and work your way into the draft after 2-4 years in junior.
That also means, I don't want 40 TOI because I want it too. Give me the option for the coach to dictate my ice time and if I'm a rookie, then I get 8 minutes a game if I'm not ready.
No PP, no PK, no shifts if the game is on the line.

The presentation also needs to be overhauled for this as well. When playing BAP, I want to know what's going on around the league.
I want press conferences. Options to get into it with other teammates, coaches, etc.

I know I sound like a wet blanket, but seeing how little time the EA team has spent on the offline modes, I'm not going to hold my breath and I'm certainly not buying this outright.

Not only do these modes need a big facelift in order for me to buy, but the gameplay needs to become far more organic.
I should be able to tell the difference between playing the Wings or Canucks as opposed to the Flames or Bruins.

And I swear, if I see any goons or scrub players making blind, tape-to-tape, backhand passes while the CPU goes into Berzerker mode, I'm done.

I don't give a crap if goons can dipsy-doo in practice. There's a reason we never see it in a game. It's because they stink when playing at a high speed and against players that are really trying to stop them.
So NO dangling from John Scott! No threading needles from Zack Stortini! No sniping from Sean O'Donnell!!!!!

I still believe NHL07 had far better player type representation than the subsequent sequals.
Snipers sniped, danglers dangled and passers passed.
Since NHL09-NHL11, the CPU is able to do all of those things regardless of what kind of player it's controlling.
Enough is enough! No other GOOD sports game does that.
I don't see Brandon Inge hitting .560 in The Show. I don't see Steve Nash banging bodies in the paint in 2K11. I don't want to see guys playing out of their skin in NHL12 either.

# 72 tyler289 @ 05/25/11 10:39 AM
Totally agree Money. Part of the problem is that EA puts out probably the worst ratings of any of their games - every team is within 3-4 points of each other, and few players actually have specialized skills. It's why I just played the Islanders in the eastern conference finals this year and the Blue Jackets won the West. There's zero separation unless we go through and do it all ourselves.

Every player on most NHL rosters is between 80-89 and with the same exact set of skills regardless of tendencies or style of play.

I'm hoping they addressed this and everything you mentioned, but I'm not holding my breath considering goalie fights are a big feature...

# 73 FBeaule04 @ 05/25/11 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
No more horrible stats. And I want a very deep BAP experience. Start in the CHL and work your way into the draft after 2-4 years in junior.
That also means, I don't want 40 TOI because I want it too. Give me the option for the coach to dictate my ice time and if I'm a rookie, then I get 8 minutes a game if I'm not ready.

The presentation also needs to be overhauled for this as well. When playing BAP, I want to know what's going on around the league.
I want press conferences. Options to get into it with other teammates, coaches, etc.

I know I sound like a wet blanket, but seeing how little time the EA team has spent on the offline modes, I'm not going to hold my breath and I'm certainly not buying this outright.

Not only do these modes need a big facelift in order for me to buy, but the gameplay needs to become far more organic.
I should be able to tell the difference between playing the Wings or Canucks as opposed to the Flames or Bruins.

And I swear, if I see any goons or scrub players making blind, tape-to-tape, backhand passes while the CPU goes into Berzerker mode, I'm done.

I don't give a crap if goons can dipsy-doo in practice. There's a reason we never see it in a game. It's because they stink when playing at a high speed and against players that are really trying to stop them.
So NO dangling from John Scott! No threading needles from Zack Stortini! No sniping from Sean O'Donnell!!!!!

I still believe NHL07 had far better player type representation than the subsequent sequals.
Since NHL09-NHL11, the CPU is able to do all of those things regardless of what kind of player it's controlling.
I don't see Brandon Inge hitting .560 in The Show. I don't see Steve Nash banging bodies in the paint in 2K11. I don't want to see guys playing out of their skin in NHL12 either.
Just wow! You summed up all the frustrations about the BaP mode for the last few years. The only position we're you have a normal ice-time is in the net, but there's other problems with it so the mode isn't enjoyable.

I'm playing BaGM right now, and lock my player to RW. Do I have to say that seeing Zack Stortini or Jean-Francois Jacques doing "dekes" at the blue line makes me sick to my stomach? It's also frustrating to see Taylor Hall go for the deke in every offensive zone entering since the guy is more of a straight forward attacking the D type.

Problem with EA is always the same. They have so much "area" to work on that it's impossible to cover everything. I mean, you come up with a BaP mode and a BaGM mode, don't forget they have to work on the EASHL. Last year, since they we're working on UHL, they just added MasterCard Memorial Cup to the BaP and didn't anything else. Same deal with BaGM. The results was lackluster modes filled with bug and glitches.

This year, they come back with a vengeance (that's what been sold so far) on BaP, but I'm worried of the big announcement they have to make. If it's a new mode again, you can be sure there will be lapses in other areas. I'm just wondering if this year, since BaP and BaGM seems to be in top priority list, if UHL will have any tuning in NHL 12.

I'm sorry, but EA doesn't test the product before shipping out or they did without testing every aspect of the game. If they had just play a few games locked as a goalie, they would have understand how bad the AI was in this game. It's bad in NHL, it's even worse in AHL, and I won't talk about the AI in CHL, it's unplayable.

Once EA prove me wrong, I'll back off and apologize, but until then, since the huge revamp and money they made with NHL 09, this game as become more of a money cow than what we expect from EA.

Because, it's all about that. The game is good, but knowing what EA can really do, it left a sour taste in my mouth.

# 74 nddurst @ 05/25/11 12:29 PM
1) Winter Classic

I don't care too much about this addition. While it's cool to have the options to play a friend in the WC, I don't see the value to this if it's not a part of Be A GM mode where two teams get selected each season to complete in a different outdoor venue. If it's only Heinz Field, it's kinda no big deal to me.

2) Helmet-removing checks

This happens rarely--I hate how their touting it as a major addition to the game. Broken sticks actually makes sense, because when it happens the player is at a disadvantage. But I see this as just a small presentation upgrade--it's nice to have, but if it happens too often it's going to seem unrealistic.

3) Jostling in front of the net

This seems like it has a ton of promise, as long as it's implemented right. There needs to be a variety of pushing and shoving. It needs to be organic and random. But I like the idea so far.

4) Goalie collision / improvements

I'm all for the collisions, as long as they look organic and aren't overdone. The improved goalie "desperation" is a welcome addition--goalies in NHL 11 are crap. Any change is welcome, and hopefully they did a good job making them more realistic.

These features are nice additions if implemented correctly. But, I will not be purchasing this game based on ANY of the above. If gameplay, computer AI, or Be A GM sim results / GM AI haven't been improved, then I'll be skipping the NHL series this year.

# 75 savoie2006 @ 05/25/11 12:49 PM
I'm not getting too excited about the new goalies. If there is too much flopping around, they could be worse than ever. It worries me whenever they tout desperation saves.

# 76 plaidchuck @ 05/25/11 01:06 PM
Another real life gameplay aspect that's lacking as well is the dump and chase. We're talking about a major part of the NHL at least being neglected..

# 77 Fiddy @ 05/25/11 01:19 PM
Quote:

I don't see Brandon Inge hitting .560 in The Show. I don't see Steve Nash banging bodies in the paint in 2K11.

I don't want to see guys playing out of their skin in NHL12 either.
first off, great whole post!!

i just quoted a bit of it..

sad thing is, EA doesnt care about what you just posted. i have said that many times, and all EA responds with is that we want the user to have full control. well full control hampers the realistic experience that they market.

if they want us to have full user control, thats fine, but please leave that non sense to the be a pro eashl online crap. then they could tweak the actual NHL/AHL/Euro leagues to play realistic to player types/builds. no more tape to tape goon passing and dekes etc.

like you said, there is a reason these guys dont do it in an actual game, and also a reason they only see 2 to 4 mins of ice time!!

but when guys like me and you point this stuff out, people say we just bashing the game, that we not good enough to compete etc. thats not the case, they market a realistic game, then they need to make the players play realistic. no more exaggerated dekeing, same old robot type shots and goals..

god for bid they spend time on cleaning up a great base they have and make it play a solid game of hockey.

out of the box it should be on hardcore settings, loose pucks, tough to deke, stars playing like stars etc.. if guys want to change that, then have them go to settings and make it casual.

stop catering to these casual people, make them play hardcore out of the box!! maybe, just maybe they will adapt to the better settings, and that being hardcore.

eashl, needs, casual, normal, and hardcore leagues.. with no playing teams from the other leagues... hardcore plays hardcore teams only!!

# 78 ComfortablyLomb @ 05/25/11 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
stop catering to these casual people, make them play hardcore out of the box!! maybe, just maybe they will adapt to the better settings, and that being hardcore.
I always cringe when I read stuff like this - not because I disagree with you but because somehow a sports game playing like the actual sport has to be labelled hardcore.

# 79 Vikes1 @ 05/25/11 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy

they market a realistic game, then they need to make the players play realistic. no more exaggerated dekeing, same old robot type shots and goals..

god for bid they spend time on cleaning up a great base they have and make it play a solid game of hockey.
Very well said Fiddy.

Although I do have a more favorable view of the gameplay than some others...but I certainly welcome other peoples opinions, and their ability to express themselves on what needs to be done. To make the game play more realistically.

Myself...I kinda have trouble putting it into words what I think needs to be done better. But I like to think if "it" was there....I'd know it. Yep...EA touts their sports games as simulations. Yet, I do believe they program the games [NHL included] to be a bit less that "sims"...due to fear of alienating the more casual gamers among us. JMO. I know it's not my investment, ie, money...but I personally believe that fear is unjustified. The sports gaming community has aged through the years. And imo...I think the majority wants the most true to life sports games as possible. Up to, and including, some of the limitations that would come with as "sim" as possible.

I really enjoy playing the NHL game. But you bet, I'm sure hoping the decision makers are focusing on making the..."Most realistic playing hockey game to date". Hopefully we'll see more evidence of it in NHL '12'.

# 80 MizzouRah @ 05/25/11 10:04 PM
Quote:

Perfectly said, my thoughts exactly.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.