Home
NHL 12 News Post

ESPN The Gamer has posted information on some of the NHL 12 improvements to the sim engine, BAP, presentation and puck physics.

Quote:
"Also new this year is the ability start your career as a 15 year-old in the CHL. From there, it's off to the AHL before finally making it to the NHL as your journey from teenager to All-Star continues."

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ocho cuatro @ 05/26/11 11:56 AM
A new simulation? Combined with another year of development of their physics engine, and I'm actually intrigued.

Could be a good year for EA sports games.

# 2 savoie2006 @ 05/26/11 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho cuatro
A new simulation? Combined with another year of development of their physics engine, and I'm actually intrigued.

Could be a good year for EA sports games.
Yeah, I'm kind of wondering if that's not the sim engine they used for these playoffs and they didn't want to say so.

# 3 TDKing @ 05/26/11 12:53 PM
I'm not feeling this goalie fighting thing and find it hard to beleive it was the most requested feature for this year. Instead of Goalie fights they should have re worked their fighting engine, the 1st person view needs to go!

# 4 plaidchuck @ 05/26/11 01:24 PM
The fact that goalie fighting is getting "top billing" is pretty disconcerting....

# 5 Money99 @ 05/26/11 01:44 PM
That was a great piece of information. Thanks for posting!
Hearing the improvements to the sim engine, BAP and presentation is music to my ears.

I'm still skeptical of the goalies fighting because I have a feeling I'll be seeing Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg dropping the mitts if someone hits Howard.

But all the rest sounds great!

# 6 Vikes1 @ 05/26/11 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKing
I'm not feeling this goalie fighting thing and find it hard to beleive it was the most requested feature for this year.
Yeah that is a bit surprising. If not kinda hard to believe.

But anyway...thanks Flamesfan for posting this interview!

All the fighting talk is kinda starting to wear on me already too. But the other info sounds very good. Improved puck physic could make a big difference for '12'.

# 7 BlueNGold @ 05/27/11 12:00 AM
Glad to hear about the BAP and sim engine improvements. Those were long overdue and some of the issues I've had for awhile. If I can just hear about the player AI and Be A GM being improved, I'll probably be sold.

Also, I would have preferred to see fighting re-done instead of adding goalie fights, but meh. Or even if they tweaked the fighting engine somehow would be good enough. It's not so much the 1st person view that bothers me, but how the fights are too simple and easy. It's basically just a bunch of stick mashing.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the tweaks to the puck physics. Hopefully this also includes how fast the puck gets down the ice. In past years it's been unrealistic to me.

# 8 jaiman @ 05/27/11 02:04 AM
Show me a true broadcast camera angle.

# 9 adayinthelife @ 05/27/11 10:44 AM
I don't really see how goalie fights were the "#1 most requested feature", but hopefully they're few and far between, especially with this absolutely atrocious first person fighting thing they still seem to be on.

The puck physics have me excited though, I thought 11 was a big step forward for the series with the smaller puck size, no puck shadow and enhanced physics. The puck definitely felt a little more alive, it'd be great to see that go even further. I'd love to see something like the 2k series always had in terms of puck physics and movement, minus the magnetic sticks of course.

# 10 addybojangles @ 05/27/11 11:24 AM
I won't believe a word of the pre-release hype for NHL 12 because their pre-release hype for NHL 11 was bs. True puck physics engine? Really? I've seen the puck magically float on the goalie's pad/back hundreds of times.

And they fact they're shoving goalie fights and enhanced hitting (already a problem in EASHL) has me very, very concerned about NHL 12.

# 11 savoie2006 @ 05/27/11 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by addybojangles
I won't believe a word of the pre-release hype for NHL 12 because their pre-release hype for NHL 11 was bs. True puck physics engine? Really? I've seen the puck magically float on the goalie's pad/back hundreds of times.

And they fact they're shoving goalie fights and enhanced hitting (already a problem in EASHL) has me very, very concerned about NHL 12.
Yeah, it's hard to believe after so much previous hype only to be let down for the most part. However, it's also hard not feel a bit excited as well. I'll be the first to admit EA drives me nuts year in and year out and yet I can't resist their NHL game, no matter how much I say I'm going to. Of course with no 2K in the picture now, it's gonna be even harder to resist

# 12 Kaladesskel @ 05/27/11 01:36 PM
I think the goalie being able to hit other players is going to be an insane feature. I just wish they'd make one really good game, and instead of releasing another one a year later, just release a roster update.

# 13 Fiddy @ 05/27/11 01:48 PM
i just hope with all this live talk so to speak, that the puck feels live, and not suctioned to players sticks.

# 14 SeaNNyT @ 05/27/11 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman
Show me a true broadcast camera angle.
This.

Also puck feathering and more realistic stick handling would be the only reason for me to buy another year of hockey from EA.

# 15 mkharsh33 @ 05/27/11 02:10 PM
Goalie fighting...

Sounds like EA is throwing a bone to all the 9-year-olds that play this game...

As a strictly offline player (who would want nothing more than to actually play a full season and beyond in BAGM) I wish they'd actually work on this game from that standpoint. As long as you have idiots playing online, you'll NEVER fix that.

So give us offline users some love and fix the user vs. cpu physics / gameplay...

# 16 Therion7 @ 05/27/11 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
I don't really see how goalie fights were the "#1 most requested feature", but hopefully they're few and far between, especially with this absolutely atrocious first person fighting thing they still seem to be on.

The puck physics have me excited though, I thought 11 was a big step forward for the series with the smaller puck size, no puck shadow and enhanced physics. The puck definitely felt a little more alive, it'd be great to see that go even further. I'd love to see something like the 2k series always had in terms of puck physics and movement, minus the magnetic sticks of course.
The puck size made such a big difference in terms of realism for me. It would be great if we could occasionally see rolling pucks, knuckle shots and weird bounces off the rink plexiglass.

Saying that, you'd not want to lose against too many goals like Bieksa's winner against the Sharks.

# 17 adayinthelife @ 05/27/11 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion7
The puck size made such a big difference in terms of realism for me. It would be great if we could occasionally see rolling pucks, knuckle shots and weird bounces off the rink plexiglass.

Saying that, you'd not want to lose against too many goals like Bieksa's winner against the Sharks.
Agreed, it was honestly my favourite feature in NHL 11. And that's not a slight against the game, I've just wanted realistic puck size/no puck shadow for-****ing-ever in this series.

I definitely wouldn't want weird bounces to be a selling point (and I wouldn't put that past them), but it would be great if they were just made possible by having a more realistic and lively puck.

I don't know much about soccer and only played the games casually so maybe I'm way off, but I always thought the FIFA games did a good job with the ball feeling relatively realistic. Am I wrong?

# 18 LuGer33 @ 05/27/11 04:43 PM
I think puck physics get improved each year, but it would be nice if they would REALLY overhaul them for an iteration. Then use the new puck physics as a headlining feature instead of something like goalie fighting. I'm assuming the marketing "experts" at EAC assume that "realistic puck physics" wouldn't draw in the casual fan, but it'd still be nice to see for all of us.

Then again we don't know how much improvement NHL 12 has made in the puck physics area. Without being a back of the box bullet, it could still be vastly improved. We'll see.

# 19 Vikes1 @ 05/27/11 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion7
It would be great if we could occasionally see rolling pucks, knuckle shots and weird bounces off the rink plexiglass.
Your hopefully in luck Therion. In one of the info releases, rolling pucks and knuckle shots were mentioned for '12'. Nothing about weird bounces though.

# 20 canucksss @ 05/31/11 02:35 PM
still not convince of buying thus no excitement here for me. i want to know if the issues in BaGM are addressed. if not, not going to buy. i'll wait for 2-3 months after the release if there's a big overhaul in BaGM if not, i'll just keep playing NHL 2011.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.