Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

Jordan Peterson, Designer at EA Tiburon, released a blog detailing the tuning of Dynasty Mode in NCAA Football 12.

Hi NCAA Football fans, NCAA Football 12 designer Jordan Peterson here once again, this time to discuss some of the other improvements that have been made to Dynasty mode this year. This blog is going to focus on some of the tuning that was done this year to improve your overall Dynasty experience as well as answer some of the questions that have come up after the other Dynasty blogs were released this week. As you are about to see, based on your feedback we've made a lot of great improvements to the Dynasty mode experience in NCAA Football 12. Let's get on to the updates.

Sway Pitch

One complaint we heard last year was that Sway Pitch felt like too much risk without enough reward and because of this, a lot of fans avoided using Sway Pitch all together which is something I never want to hear as a developer. This year, Sway Pitch has been tuned to provide more of a bonus when you are successful, and less of a penalty when you fail. Additionally, we've adjusted the percent chance that a Sway will be successful to help make Sway Pitch a more effective recruiting tactic, I believe you will now find the Sway Pitch option to have a greater impact during recruiting.

CPU Scholarship Offers

In addition to Sway Pitch, another significant improvement to recruiting is how efficiently the CPU will offer scholarships. Previously, the CPU would occasionally have a recruit that, even though he was ranked first on their board they would not offer a scholarship in order to close the deal and sign the prospect. The CPU will now offer scholarships more intelligently, and as a result, causes some much closer recruiting battles with the CPU against other CPU controlled teams and the user.

CPU Recruiting Based on Play Style

We have heard feedback regarding CPU not recruiting based on their play style, so this was one of our earliest adjustments for NCAA Football 12. Previously, if you were running an option offense, the CPU would simply take the best quarterback that was available, or possibly one just interested in the school. Now, you will find that the CPU will focus upon players that fit their particular play style. That means scrambling QBs will be targeted by option teams, while air raid teams will look for pocket passing quarterbacks.

Another community concern that we addressed for NCAA Football 12 is the balancing of the top 150 recruits. There was some discussion that there were not enough highly rated defensive prospects appearing in the ESPNU Top 150. Based on that feedback we have increased each defensive position's chance of having a prospect worthy enough of being considered one of the top 150 prospects in the recruiting class.

Sim Running Stats

The sim stats for the running backs, backup running backs and quarterbacks were also tuned. Meaning when you sim in Dynasty, the backup HB will get more touches and, in turn, more rushing yards. Quarterback sim stats were adjusted to be more in line with actual NCAA results. The added benefit of tuning these stats is that it facilitated tuning Heisman. Throughout Dynasty you should now see a much better balance of several different position types winning the Heisman.

Incoming Prospect Ratings

Finally, we've updated the incoming ratings for all generated prospects with a focus on ensuring they are consistent with the recruits on the default roster. Now you won't notice a drop off in overall player talent in future years of the Dynasty when the players on the default roster have graduated. I think you will find that some positions, in particular Kickers and Punters, will be far more accurate this year.

Answers to Previous Blog Questions

Earlier this week, we released the blog for Coach Carousel and two Quick Clip videos. I would like to take this opportunity to address some additional questions that I've seen on the forums.

Coach Carousel – Who was that mystery man?

In part 2 of the Quick Clips video, NC State hired their Offensive Coordinator, but he was not one of the top 3 candidates. Good catch! This is an example of the bonus that is provided to hiring within the current school. The Offensive Coordinator was not initially one of NC State's top candidates, but when it came time to hire a coach they decided to stay in-house. Also, you may have noticed that as an A rated coach, he had a lower rating than some of the other Offensive Coordinators that were available.

Coaching Carousel – How fast can you climb the ladder?

Can you become a Head Coach at a 6 star school from a 1 star Offensive/Defensive Coordinator within 2-4 seasons? Yes, it is possible. However, it will require some exceptional skill on the player's part to pass most, if not all, of their goals and some luck on the carousel. The right jobs need to open up at the right time to progress that quickly. This is certainly possible, but by no means easy to do.

Coaching Carousel – Prestige and Progression

How much does Coach Prestige impact progression? Coach Prestige is now a significant factor in the progression formula. It can also be tuned via Live Tuning Packs, so if at some point we feel it needs to play more or less of a part of progression, we can adjust it accordingly. However, we have kept the importance of Coach Prestige in mind when tuning and are very comfortable with its current impact upon progression.

Coaching Carousel – Is Coach Prestige your only rating?

As mentioned above, there have been a lot of questions on coach ratings and how the addition of the Coach Carousel will alter the course of a Dynasty in future years. We've talked a lot about how play styles move with the coach from one school to another and the impact that Coach Prestige has on the game, but I also wanted to point out that the Coach Loyalty rating is dynamic as well. If you are the type of coach that looks to hop from job to job every year, expect to have some struggles on the recruiting trail when a prospect wants to know if you will be there all four years to coach him. At the same time, there will be 119 other coaches out there just waiting to use that pitch against you when they get the chance.

Coaching Carousel – Default coach ratings

There seem to be quite a few A+ coaches? Keep in mind that default Coach Ratings can be edited, customized, and shared via Roster Share. If you want more of a challenge in your Dynasty, dropping their initial ratings will cause them to progress slower. Having said that, during the Carousel, schools will always look at A+ rated coaches that are out of a job.

Furthermore, each player in the Dynasty will start out with a Coach Prestige of D+. The contracts were designed with a slow progression to A+ in mind.

Coaching Carousel – Job Security and Wins/Losses

As an Offensive/Defensive Coordinator, will Job Security go up if we fail the objective based goals but win a lot of games? These contracts were implemented so that Wins and Losses have a significant impact upon job security. However, it is largely dependent upon the team prestige and the caliber of the contract.

Custom Playbooks – Formation Audibles

How are formation audibles set? Formation audibles are set automatically by the CPU for each formation in a custom playbook. The CPU will pick the play out of those in the custom playbook's formation that most closely matches that particular formation audible.

Thanks once again for checking out our blogs this week and I'll see you online when NCAA Football 12 releases on July 12th.

Source: http://www.ea.com/ncaa-football/blog/dynasty-tuning

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 boritter @ 05/27/11 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boritter
Understatement of the day. I was hoping for exciting news about dynasty mode but it appears that the real improvements were either CC or web-based content.

I spend 99% of my time in dynasty. It sounds like EA spent 1% of their development cycle time & resources on dynasty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Yea, because adding in a completely new feature in the Coach Carousel which involves making the CPU hire and fire coaches and coordinators, which they have never had to do before, tuning the recruits to have more defensive players in the top 150, also making recruits have ratings that are consistent with the teams already on the game, having teams finally recruit to their playbook style, and adding more online features to the OD is not a lot, just 1% of the work they've done all year.

Yea, I agree with you...
Didn't I say that most of the improvements were CC or web-based online features?

And then you typed a list that includes new CC and web-based online features to prove that they added... CC and web-based online features!

Thanks for the insight.

The dynasty tuning blog was largely a rehash of CC and custom playbooks. If they don't have a lot of new info in the "dynasty tuning" blog then they probably didn't do much tuning.

Is that too hard to understand?

# 42 splff3000 @ 05/27/11 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
haha. and to splff, how many 6 star teams did you have getting that many recruits? and what was there records? are your sliders weak sauce? because if your winning every game you gonnna get everyone you want. i saw nothing like that in our dynasty only because we were all 5 and 6 star teams so not enough players to go around to give someone a big 5 star class. so other factors play into that. you just cant say change this if you playing a all amercian level dyansty and get no competition from cpu. or if you have one 6 star team and everyone else is 3 star or less. then there is no competition. in 09 (before they reduced the number of 5 stars) the best class in our 6 year was a 9 5 star class by me and i was miami so i was in a great state. thats also a factor. i think if everyone knows how to recruit or you use some house rules like no cutting players(realistic) that way you cant give more scholarships than open spots it resolves this. some people like to cut players so they have needs at positions which gives them a upper hand in recruiting. thats why i wont play in dyanstys that let you cut players. but i think EA is pretty good on these things.

Actually it was quite the opposite. We had insanely ridiculous sliders because we all were too good. The sliders were horrible. They weren't realistic at all, but we had to make them that way to give ourselves a challenge. We played on Heisman and recruited on Heisman and had recruiting limits(number of seniors leaving +3). It didn't help. It wasn't until we put a limit on the number of 5*'s that things got better. The OD is till going if you want to check it out and see for yourself. I'll PM you the info to see it if you want. I guarantee most OSers would quit because of the stupid stuff that the CPU was able to do because of the sliders.

# 43 splff3000 @ 05/27/11 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I've got seven people in this thread on Ignore, so its a matter of the Usual Suspects, bitching and moaning.
I don't know if that was directed towards me, which I don't see why it would be since haven't said much about this years version of the game. I've been sitting back patiently looking at all the info drop and this blog today just got me lol. I mean the fact that they put out a tuning blog then filled half of it with questions about another aspect of the game just kinda irked me a bit and I had to say something. Anyway, I don't want yall to get the wrong idea. I liked 11...a lot, so minimal improvements still means that 12 will be a good game. It just doesn't seem like they spent a lot of time on dynasty this year. It's actually eerily similar to what happened in Madden Franchise last year, but I'll say CC and the other CC are waaay better additions than what Madden did last year.

# 44 canes21 @ 05/27/11 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsalazar75
SO they really didnt change anything. Nothing new to add depth to the dynasty mode...smh
You're correct. Dynasty mode did not have one thing added to it and nothing about it was tuned at all. You are 100% correct that they did nothing to make it better than last year.

# 45 RynoAid @ 05/27/11 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
I don't know if that was directed towards me, which I don't see why it would be since haven't said much about this years version of the game. I've been sitting back patiently looking at all the info drop and this blog today just got me lol. I mean the fact that they put out a tuning blog then filled half of it with questions about another aspect of the game just kinda irked me a bit and I had to say something. Anyway, I don't want yall to get the wrong idea. I liked 11...a lot, so minimal improvements still means that 12 will be a good game. It just doesn't seem like they spent a lot of time on dynasty this year. It's actually eerily similar to what happened in Madden Franchise last year, but I'll say CC and the other CC are waaay better additions than what Madden did last year.
so would you rather them not address the specific questions being leveled at the CC the past few days. I look at that as additional positive feedback on stuff the community is interested in... yet your bashing him because he included it with the blog....

give the guy a break, he's trying to answer you guys SPECIFIC questions...

# 46 Knight9299 @ 05/27/11 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid
so would you rather them not address the specific questions being leveled at the CC the past few days. I look at that as additional positive feedback on stuff the community is interested in... yet your bashing him because he included it with the blog....

I think he's bashing the fact that the dynasty tuning blog was a little lighter than he had hoped. Maybe wait until next week with the answers to community questions about CC.

# 47 splff3000 @ 05/27/11 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid

I would rather them not address it in a blog that's supposed to be about something entirely different, especially when it seems to me that they're doing it to make the blog look longer. I mean were people really beating down his door trying to find out "Who that Mystery Man was?" Either way, that's what Q&A's and interviews and all that type stuff are for. I'm pretty sure everyone that sees the first post of the thread will be like, wow!! That looks like a lot of stuff, when actually it's just this:

Quote:
Sway Pitch

One complaint we heard last year was that Sway Pitch felt like too much risk without enough reward and because of this, a lot of fans avoided using Sway Pitch all together which is something I never want to hear as a developer. This year, Sway Pitch has been tuned to provide more of a bonus when you are successful, and less of a penalty when you fail. Additionally, we've adjusted the percent chance that a Sway will be successful to help make Sway Pitch a more effective recruiting tactic, I believe you will now find the Sway Pitch option to have a greater impact during recruiting.

CPU Scholarship Offers

In addition to Sway Pitch, another significant improvement to recruiting is how efficiently the CPU will offer scholarships. Previously, the CPU would occasionally have a recruit that, even though he was ranked first on their board they would not offer a scholarship in order to close the deal and sign the prospect. The CPU will now offer scholarships more intelligently, and as a result, causes some much closer recruiting battles with the CPU against other CPU controlled teams and the user.

CPU Recruiting Based on Play Style

We have heard feedback regarding CPU not recruiting based on their play style, so this was one of our earliest adjustments for NCAA Football 12. Previously, if you were running an option offense, the CPU would simply take the best quarterback that was available, or possibly one just interested in the school. Now, you will find that the CPU will focus upon players that fit their particular play style. That means scrambling QBs will be targeted by option teams, while air raid teams will look for pocket passing quarterbacks.

Another community concern that we addressed for NCAA Football 12 is the balancing of the top 150 recruits. There was some discussion that there were not enough highly rated defensive prospects appearing in the ESPNU Top 150. Based on that feedback we have increased each defensive position's chance of having a prospect worthy enough of being considered one of the top 150 prospects in the recruiting class.

Sim Running Stats

The sim stats for the running backs, backup running backs and quarterbacks were also tuned. Meaning when you sim in Dynasty, the backup HB will get more touches and, in turn, more rushing yards. Quarterback sim stats were adjusted to be more in line with actual NCAA results. The added benefit of tuning these stats is that it facilitated tuning Heisman. Throughout Dynasty you should now see a much better balance of several different position types winning the Heisman.

Incoming Prospect Ratings

Finally, we've updated the incoming ratings for all generated prospects with a focus on ensuring they are consistent with the recruits on the default roster. Now you won't notice a drop off in overall player talent in future years of the Dynasty when the players on the default roster have graduated. I think you will find that some positions, in particular Kickers and Punters, will be far more accurate this year.
It looks a lot different when you take out all the stuff that doesn't belong. Somehow, EA managed to spread 2 blogs worth of info throughout an entire week. Look, I'm not a fool and judging by the amount of posts in these Blog threads, most people here at OS aren't either. In this poll:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...tion-week.html

The majority of the people were waiting for the dynasty tuning info blog today. I'm sure they weren't waiting for the dynasty tuning info blog to get questions answered about coaching carousel. And judging by this thread:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...questions.html

coaching carousel is not burning people's minds like they would lead you to believe. I'm not a fool and like I said before, I'm utterly disappointed with the news we've received this week. I'm especially disappointed with this blog today as you probably can tell.

# 48 khaliib @ 05/27/11 05:56 PM
My complaint is not having the ability to tune in-game generated recruits because the initial rosters are ALWAYS not good.

My issue is not so much dealing with the Ratings argument as some have mentioned, but that we (community) have found that certain ratings have a direct impact on Gameplay.

-Turn on a dime by Def players attributed to High Pursuit Rating

-High Player Recognition killing screens, because players (DB/DL) would staight line to were the screen was to be caught at the snap

-AWR between RB/FB/WR/TE decided the pecking order of who would receive passes.
That's why TE's had high receptions year in, year out.
Because their AWR was higher than most RB/WR's.

-The infamous Jump Rating that gave LB's the ability to swat/Int passes that should have been over their heads and designed to be caught 10 yrds beyond them.
(even worse, was that it was still in, in some of the 2012 vid's they've released)

-Impact Blk must be "High" for RB/WR's on option teams to make them Cut BLK

-Hit Power having more impact on Agressiveness to the "Football" (not ball carrier) rather than causing fumbles.

Though these ratings are defined by EA, the fact is that they impact the game in a different way.
Thus, there is a need for an ability to edit the Recruits because tweaking these ratings means impacting player OVR's, and we can't have those being too low!!!

Also, EA's motto of 'Speed' is still King.
I don't like how they have so many recruits with speed ratings so high.
It takes away from it meaning something in Recruiting because there are so many close to the ceiling.

Another aspect that has not been mentioned, is that there are NO players that have a BURST.
All separation is based off of straight line running.

High ACC Ratings is preventing such players in the game.
Because it's tied into the OVR rating so strongly, any lowering lowere the OVR.

So you will never see a WR on a screen/bubble be able to Explode past players.

But if we're able to edit and lower accross the board, we can have such a player that still is missing from the game.

I just don't understand why they refuse to allow Gamer's access to editing Recruits.
It is now available in every Sports game, but 5 yrs later, there still seems to be a Major reason why Gamers are not allowed to have access.
Knowing that every year thus far, there has been complaints about their default rosters and the negative impact they have on some aspect of the game.

To me, there are too many perspectives for Tuners to be the answer for.

Side note:
I've enjoyed playing NCAA on Madden 11 with the created teams I've made.

Oregon's LJ got 290 yrds on me (Fresno State), and I was excited about the loss. Go figure!!!

Check out NCAA on Madden 11 thread.

# 49 DorianDonP @ 05/27/11 06:00 PM
Hopefully the tuned sim stats also goes into effect for DEs and WRs. In this game, receiver stats are wayyyyyy too high. It's not uncommon to be in a dynasty and the top 5 players in the heisman voting are all receivers with over 120 catches and 12+ tds. Receivers barely ever get heisman invites. The game should tune the stats down and recognize that they almost always have to have 20+ td receptions and or be a dual threat special teams player to be a heisman finalist.

Defensive Ends also don't get enough sacks on this game. If I simmed a season, the top leaders in the NCAA for sacks almost are always DTs and LBs.

# 50 seawolves9 @ 05/27/11 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boritter
Didn't I say that most of the improvements were CC or web-based online features?

And then you typed a list that includes new CC and web-based online features to prove that they added... CC and web-based online features!

Thanks for the insight.

The dynasty tuning blog was largely a rehash of CC and custom playbooks. If they don't have a lot of new info in the "dynasty tuning" blog then they probably didn't do much tuning.

Is that too hard to understand?
CC is a pretty significant feature WITHIN dynasty.. Just saying. To say they only spent 1% of development time on dynasty is a crude understatement.

# 51 vaeath @ 05/27/11 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arobbi3
I haven't seen any mention of more defensive recruits in the top 150 and improved sim stats before this blog.
Yeah i found a picture during the week.

It shows the #22 CB as a 4star.

# 52 DorianDonP @ 05/27/11 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaeath
Yeah i found a picture during the week.

It shows the #22 CB as a 4star.

The 22 rated CB on rivals was a 4 star this past recruiting cycle so it seems realistic.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/floridastate...ings/rank-2663

Malcolm Mitchell
DB
Valdosta, GAValdosta
4 stars
6'1"
Georgia
Marcus Roberson
DB
Ft. Lauderdale, FLSt. Thomas Aquinas
4 stars
6'1"
Florida
Damian Swann
DB
Atlanta, GAGrady
4 stars
6'0"
Georgia
Quandre Diggs
DB
Angleton, TXAngleton
4 stars
5'10"
Texas
Demetrious Nicholson
DB
Virginia Beach, VABayside
4 stars
5'11"
Virginia
Charles Jackson
DB
Klein, TXKlein Collins
4 stars
5'11"
Nebraska
Doran Grant
DB
Akron, OHSt. Vincent-St. Mary
4 stars
5'10"
Ohio St.
Nick Waisome
DB
Groveland, FLSouth Lake
4 stars
5'10"
Florida St.
Stefan McClure
DB
Vista, CAVista
4 stars
5'11"
California
Blake Countess
DB
Owings Mills, MDOur Lady Of Good Counsel
4 stars
5'10"
Michigan
Louchiez Purifoy
DB
Pensacola, FLPine Forest
4 stars
6'0"
Florida
Floyd Raven
DB
Reserve, LAEast St. John
4 stars
6'2"
Texas A&M
Tevin Mitchel
DB
Mansfield, TXLegacy
4 stars
6'0"
Arkansas
Josh Turner
DB
Oklahoma City, OKMillwood
4 stars
6'0"
Texas
Albert Louis-Jean
DB
Brockton, MABrockton
4 stars
6'0"
Boston Coll.
Sheroid Evans
DB
Sugar Land, TXDulles
4 stars
6'1"
Texas
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu
DB
Chino Hills, CAChino Hills
4 stars
5'10"
Oregon
Kyshoen Jarrett
DB
East Stroudsburg, PAEast Stroudsburg South
4 stars
6'1"
Virginia Tech
Vance Roberts
DB
Washington, DCDunbar
4 stars
5'10"
West Virginia
Justin Coleman
DB
Brunswick, GABrunswick
4 stars
5'11"
Tennessee
David Jenkins
DB
Carrollton, TXHebron
4 stars
6'1"
LSU
Jalen Collins
DB
Olive Branch, MSOlive Branch
4 stars
6'2"
LSU
Andrew Johnson
DB
Miami, FLSouthridge
4 stars
5'10"
Louisville
Jermaine Whitehead
DB
Greenwood, MSAmanda Elzy
4 stars
6'0"
Auburn

# 53 khaliib @ 05/27/11 06:28 PM
Another issue I just thought about within Dynasty is the 3-4 LB's.
I know they've said they've Tuned them to rush the QB more.

I'm wondering if not having a Pass Rusher designation available is the issue.
They're either Coverage or Run Stop type of Outside LB's.

The Dev's have stated the players should play in-line to the type of player they are. (I hope this wasn't just for Scrambling QB's)

If players have been Tuned in Dynasty to play towards their designation more, how can/will 3-4 LB's rush the QB more they're only classified as Coverage/Run Stopper and not Pass Rusher?

Maybe someone can pass this question along to the Dev's because this killed the 3-4 defense entirely last year.

Just wondering!!!

# 54 illwill10 @ 05/27/11 06:42 PM
Pretty much what I expected. I was hoping to abilty to edit recruits. Mainly Height & Weight.
I am glad for CPU recruiting for Playstyle, Better Recruits, Better Sim Stats.

# 55 Tengo Juego @ 05/27/11 07:39 PM
There was more about Coaching Carousel than Dynasty improvements.

# 56 JMUfootball @ 05/27/11 08:49 PM
Oh, nice. Another coaching carousel blog...weird.

Sitting back reading these pages of comments, splff has already posted exactly what's on my mind.

I am extremely disappointed in the lack of effort put into dynasty mode this year. In a way it's almost sobering to realize what a rut this game was in, for a 2012 game to be gloating about many "new" fixes that

1) should have been implemented correctly the first time
2) were either already in previous versions, or
3) should have been added by now after about 7 editions of this game on current gen. It's 2012, this gen of consoles is almost over.

I mean really, ...was it not possible in previous versions to maybe implement correctly that programs should recruit players that match their system? And so CPU scholarship offers were broken in '11...no biggie, we all make mistakes, but don't tout fixing this error as a "significant improvement to recruiting"

# 57 flustercuck @ 05/27/11 09:03 PM
It's funny, EA has no chance...if they didn't explain what they've fixed everyone would complain about it. They explain what they've fixed and people complain about it. Very funny.

# 58 JMUfootball @ 05/27/11 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flustercuck
It's funny, EA has no chance...if they didn't explain what they've fixed everyone would complain about it. They explain what they've fixed and people complain about it. Very funny.
No, it's a matter of how the fixes are explained.

Up until recently I preferred PC games to consoles. In the lexicon of the PC gaming world, developers use the term "fixed bug where"

As in, when a patch is released for a game, you will see a list like:
"-Fixed bug where player would clip through the wall"
"-Fixed bug where AI was unresponsive"

etc, etc.

The yearly installments of NCAA, and Madden, are basically just patches on the same game. And yet, whenever a new version is released, bug fixes seem to be introduced as new features. There's no honesty or transparency that a programming mistake or half hearted attempt was made in the first place. In some cases (and I think this year's NCAA will be one of them, just my opinion) the developers have so many bugs to tweak, and minor things to correct that could have been done correctly the first time, that few new additions are actually made.

It's OK, it would be difficult to expect a whole new game every year, especially with EA having no competition and thus no real need to be innovative. My main complaint is it's just a little insulting the way these fixes are usually presented, and old scrapped features are re-introduced as new as if we forgot.

# 59 canes21 @ 05/27/11 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block-O
Ive come to the conclusion that complaining about every little thing doesnt really get you anywhere. No video game is perfect especially now that its extremely difficult to make games today because of the vast technology. I always try to see the positive side of everything before i look at the negative. Doesnt mean that i agree with everything EA has done over the years. I'll probably be staying off of the forums after the game is released and enjoy myself.
Yea, I hated NCAA 10, but I think it was because I looked at the problems it had way too much. When I got NCAA 11 I really enjoyed it, but then I started to repeat the previous year's story and started to dislike it more and more because I looked at everything and found something wrong with it. Took a little break from the game and started to just play the game and have fun while focusing on what it did and I probably enjoyed those 4 seasons I did like that more than any other seasons I ever played in any football game.

The only problems that still bothered me in that dynasty was the zone defense and K/P recruits. Now that they fixed those, I will probably have a hard time putting 12 down if I play it like I did the end of 11.

# 60 willIam9387 @ 05/27/11 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUfootball
No, it's a matter of how the fixes are explained.

Up until recently I preferred PC games to consoles. In the lexicon of the PC gaming world, developers use the term "fixed bug where"

As in, when a patch is released for a game, you will see a list like:
"-Fixed bug where player would clip through the wall"
"-Fixed bug where AI was unresponsive"

etc, etc.

The yearly installments of NCAA, and Madden, are basically just patches on the same game. And yet, whenever a new version is released, bug fixes seem to be introduced as new features. There's no honesty or transparency that a programming mistake or half hearted attempt was made in the first place. In some cases (and I think this year's NCAA will be one of them, just my opinion) the developers have so many bugs to tweak, and minor things to correct that could have been done correctly the first time, that few new additions are actually made.

It's OK, it would be difficult to expect a whole new game every year, especially with EA having no competition and thus no real need to be innovative. My main complaint is it's just a little insulting the way these fixes are usually presented, and old scrapped features are re-introduced as new as if we forgot.
I really don't see any lack of effort this year by EA in the development of NCAA 12. The new additions to me are numerous and from my reading of the blogs the developers it seems as though they are implemented well. It's not a lack of resources or preoccupation with correcting previous mistakes that might limit their capacity to add new features, it's the fact they have a yearly franchise in NCAA 12 that is a cash cow. Also it's important to follow a three to four year cycle, so the addition of the coach carousel this year will be complemented with more refinements to this feature such as coach ratings.

I like the foundation EA has laid for this year and future iterations of the series. I think a lot of people playing dynasty mode will be pleasantly surprised this year by the coach carousel, which if it actually plays like the blog says should be a fun and compelling mode which will hold my interest for quite some time.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.