Home
Madden 12 News Post

Check out the new Madden NFL 12 screenshots, featuring Marshall Faulk.

Madden NFL 12 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Only1LT @ 06/01/11 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
The problem with doing that is that APF's sidelines were such a huge cpu resource hog that VC had to cut corners in other areas. The result was a game with dreadful field textures, poorly rendered player models with little or no variation in body types, and player faces that took the "uncanny valley effect" to new heights of creepiness. In short, from a purely visual standpoint APF was little more than a glorified xbox title.

Given the limitations of the current consoles, EA's decision to focus their graphical resources on the action between the lines is the correct one.

APF 2K8 looking like an XBOX title, had more to do with the fact that it basically was an XBOX title, than anything else.

It had no budget, a small team, small resources, and it was the first and only Football title they made on this gen. Couple that with it being early in this gen's lifecycle, and it's understandable that it looked the way it did.

That doesn't mean that more things wouldn't be possible today with the same hardware. Just look at Madden 2006 and Madden 12.

# 42 falconfansince81 @ 06/01/11 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZapp
lol, i wonder what nfl 2k fanboys are saying now. Game looks fantastic cant wait to get ncaa and madden
why would 2k fans NOT want a good looking licensed game on next gen? if EA can match the organic feel and gameplay from 'the other game' i think everyone will be satisfied. obviously clear what the madden fanboys are after, shoelaces and shiny helmets.

but as always, incredible job by the art department on the renders. lookin forward to the demo.

# 43 coogrfan @ 06/01/11 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
APF 2K8 looking like an XBOX title, had more to do with the fact that it basically was an XBOX title, than anything else.

It had no budget, a small team, small resources, and it was the first and only Football title they made on this gen. Couple that with it being early in this gen's lifecycle, and it's understandable that it looked the way it did.

That doesn't mean that more things wouldn't be possible today with the same hardware. Just look at Madden 2006 and Madden 12.
Is more possible? Maybe. Nevetheless, I have to believe that adding 22 fully animated player models on the sidelines a la APF would be an enormous undertaking that would require compromises in other areas.

Thanks, but no thanks.

# 44 Matt Diesel @ 06/01/11 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeejay
Theres no way in hell that that is a screen of what we will actually be seeing on 360 or ps3. They are still using the same engine as last year right? It is simply not capable of these kind of visuals on the ps3 and 360. look at the grass....everything looks crazy real.

When I pause madden 11 and zoom in I dont see anything even remotely
like that. Eveything is muddy and blurry.

Ill believe it when Im playing it. Thats the kind of thing I will expect from
the next generation of consoles.
You are correct.

Thats what it looks like if you play on a 9 inch TV. That kind of saturation and smoothness is not going to be on a 60 inch TV. Same number of polygons and pixels in a much larger area.

I am not saying they look bad. In fact, they look the best they have ever looked. But dont be fooled by a 9x9 screenshot and think that is what it is going to look like on your standard size TV.

As a few have said before, the real truth on improvement is with these in motion.

# 45 Phobia @ 06/01/11 01:11 PM
WOW!!!! This picture is the best looking madden EVER! I am truly excited beyond belief about Madden 12 this year. It looks like they have FINALLY stepped up to the plate and doing a number of big fixes rather than the standard 1 new feature and roster update.

People who know me know I am not a EA football fan, but I will admit Madden is finally looking great this year. I still don't think it will beat 2k in the gameplay fundamental department, but I highly respect they are making legitimate efforts to improve on the gameplay and the game as a whole. This truly can be the year Madden returns as king of the football gridiron!

# 46 Only1LT @ 06/01/11 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Is more possible? Maybe. Nevetheless, I have to believe that adding 22 fully animated player models on the sidelines a la APF would be an enormous undertaking that would require compromises in other areas.

Thanks, but no thanks.
They are in the background and ancillary. They need not be comprised of anywhere near as many polygons as the on the field players, but could still look fine with some sleight of hand. It would be akin to how sports games animate and 3D model the first couple rows of fans but leave the rest as cutouts.

I think you are making this out to be much more of a resource hog than it actually is.

We are both just guessing, I just, personally, don't like to pull the "the hardware is limiting them" card too hastily.

# 47 huskerwr38 @ 06/01/11 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
They are saying, nice still shot....wonder how the gameplay is?
I am wondering the same thing. Hopefully we see some actual gameplay footage next week at E3.

# 48 xITSxDAWKINSx @ 06/01/11 02:20 PM
that looks really good

# 49 N51_rob @ 06/01/11 02:31 PM
That is the best looking screen shot I've seen so far. Photo-Realistic quality.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

# 50 HealyMonster @ 06/01/11 04:17 PM
Ill tell you if the game looks like these screens, and they have the presentation up to par, i will def. be able to overlook a bunch of gameplay bugs/glitches whereas in years past i wouldnt. Gameplay has always been and will forever be a "work in progress" from year to year. Its the details, graphics, presentation,etc that immerses us in the gameplay so the smaller bugs,etc are not so important.

# 51 juicetat2 @ 06/01/11 04:19 PM
It looks great except for one thing! This one thing just seems to sneak by EA every year. This may not be a big deal to some, but I enjoy seeing accurate equipment in the game. Yet again, there is no mouth piece. You know, the one that covers the whole mouth. Marshall Faulk used to wear one when he played!
Attachment 32614

Some current players sport this cool accessory today. Guys like Arian Foster of the Texans!
Attachment 32613

Madden had them in last gen, but some reason they can't bring them into next gen. Nice sreenshot though. Nice to see the 49ers classic logo is fixed!

# 52 LaW97 @ 06/01/11 08:19 PM
but why is Marshall Faulk in Madden 12???

is it some kind of legend buying system where you gain coins and purchase legends to add to rosters???

# 53 PVarck31 @ 06/01/11 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaW97
but why is Marshall Faulk in Madden 12???

is it some kind of legend buying system where you gain coins and purchase legends to add to rosters???
As others have said, they are celebrating him being the first Madden cover athlete to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

# 54 jetup2343 @ 06/01/11 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
WOW!!!! This picture is the best looking madden EVER! I am truly excited beyond belief about Madden 12 this year. It looks like they have FINALLY stepped up to the plate and doing a number of big fixes rather than the standard 1 new feature and roster update.

People who know me know I am not a EA football fan, but I will admit Madden is finally looking great this year. I still don't think it will beat 2k in the gameplay fundamental department, but I highly respect they are making legitimate efforts to improve on the gameplay and the game as a whole. This truly can be the year Madden returns as king of the football gridiron!

I really hate to be "that guy", but I can't help but think that this photo was touched up a bit. It's just so much more realistic and perfect than the other two released with this one. The one in the dome looks much less realistic than this one. The colors, lighting, player models and crowd all look superior to the other shots that were released. I hope I'm wrong though.

# 55 PGaither84 @ 06/02/11 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetup2343
I really hate to be "that guy", but I can't help but think that this photo was touched up a bit. It's just so much more realistic and perfect than the other two released with this one. The one in the dome looks much less realistic than this one. The colors, lighting, player models and crowd all look superior to the other shots that were released. I hope I'm wrong though.
How do I say this? At CD last year, we played an Alpha build where the graphics and textures were FAR from finished. Player's skins looked translucent. Everyone, African Americans and Caucasians alike looked pale and ghostly.

I think some of the early screens we have had are from lesser finished builds. It is June now. I am sure one big reason the screen looks better is because the game is getting more finished. That's all.

Finally, I agree, without the mouth piece, Faulk doesn't look like Faulk.

# 56 DickDalewood @ 06/02/11 08:17 AM
Awesome pic. The lighting and player models look great this year.

# 57 RGiles36 @ 06/02/11 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
To me that is huge. I don't understand how they can't add a mouth piece. They gave a reason before, but I hoping they figure it out some day. Those mouth piece are a big part of their appearance.
Yeah, I've been trying to get mouthpieces in since after Madden 08. I wonder if it has something to do with their face models or something. I think I saw M. Young comment on this on Twitter within the last few months as something they're still working towards getting in the game (not for M12 obviously).

# 58 Phobia @ 06/02/11 10:08 AM
Quote:
Jetup, I think it has not been touched up. But what I think has happened is the new lighting system will do wonders. I think they rotated the camera around until they found the most accurate looking lighting direction which gave the most realistic looking shot. You can do something very similar in NCAA 11 with taking pictures, so I can see it only giving better shots this year with how much of a improvement the new lighting brings. That is at least my point of view on how good the shot looks.

# 59 Only1LT @ 06/02/11 10:30 AM
Quote:
Any time a screenshot is released, for any game, there is a pretty good chance that it is "enhanced" at least a little.

# 60 phillysouljah @ 06/02/11 10:45 AM
Because it seems like some have an attitude of, "Promotional screenshots are always touched up and look artificially good" or "Let's see the game in motion; screenshots always look better than the game", etc., I thought it would be interesting to go in the operationsports archives and share some Madden 11 promotional screens that came out in May 2010 to get an idea of how these pre-release promotional screens looked in a previous Madden.

And I'm bolding this to prevent any confusion:
THE FOLLOWING ARE MADDEN 11 SCREENS RELEASED LAST MAY

What you think? I think the Madden 12 promotional screens are better than the Madden 11 ones from last May. Either EA has gotten better at selecting ideal screens or the game's graphics really have improved. I'm thinking the latter

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.