Home
Madden 12 News Post

Aaron Boulding of EA Tiburon has released a blog on the all-new Dynamic Player Performance in Madden NFL 12.

“In the NFL, no player performs the same in the fourth quarter, as he does in the first.”

That quote from John Madden sums up the intentions behind Madden NFL 12’s new Dynamic Player Performance feature. Simply put, things happen in football games that change the way players behave and Madden NFL is going to reflect that. There are a lot of parallel systems at work in Dynamic Player Performance (DPP) that contribute to different player behavior during games, from one game to the next and from one season to the next. The end result is the 20+ players that you’re NOT controlling in Madden NFL 12 will be reacting to each other now, as well as reacting to what you’re choosing to do.

Separate from a player’s ratings, DPP introduces player traits that are position-specific and have only a handful of potential “settings”. Understanding these traits and what kind of on-the-field events trigger them and in what direction is key. As the most important players on the field, quarterbacks have the most traits including ones like “Senses Pressure” and “Tucks and Runs”. The Senses Pressure trait, for example, can come up as Paranoid, Trigger Happy, Ideal, Average and Oblivious. A “Paranoid” quarterback, like a rookie, will look to throw the ball as quickly as possible to avoid a hit rather than waiting an extra beat for a receiver to break open. At the other end of the spectrum is a guy like Ben Roethlisberger who is oblivious to pressure and will wait forever before delivering the ball, sometimes taking sacks, sometimes creating a play that wouldn’t be there otherwise.

The most important points to understand about traits is that they only change over the course of a game based on events that happen during the game. Roethlisberger is “Oblivious” when it comes to sensing pressure but if he gets hit often enough, if his late throws lead to interceptions, eventually he will look to deliver the ball sooner when he feels pressure coming and maybe he moves to “Average.”

There are traits for all positions on the field –defensive backs can play a pass in the air Aggressively, Balanced or conservatively—but what might be more important to understand about Dynamic Player Performance is that it will contribute to A.I. behavior more often than anything. Staying with the Roethlisberger example, if you’re playing as Pittsburgh, you’re still in control of that offense, making the decisions of when Big Ben is going to deliver the ball. So how does DPP play there?

What we didn’t tell you is that all traits for all players are “in play” and can be affected at all times during a game. So while you are sensing the pressure as Roethlisberger and calculating how many milliseconds you have to fire the ball or when you’re going to tuck the ball and run away, Roethlisberger’s Tight Spiral trait may switch from “Yes” to “No” after a few hits. After he’s gotten to you a few times the pass rusher’s Big Hitter trait may switch from “No” to “Yes” now that he smells blood in the water. A linebacker or defensive back may have his Plays Ball in the Air trait switch to “Aggressive” since he’s seen you throw so many wounded ducks due to pressure and now he wants to go for the pick. The whole point is, A.I.-controlled players will be the ones most influenced by the new Dynamic Player Performance system rather than the players you’re controlling. You’ll be able to understand Roethlisberger’s tendency to hold the ball or tuck and run better when you’re playing against him than when you’re using him.

With that established, now we can tell you it gets deeper. A player’s ratings, those numbers that we all salivate over and complain about each year, can change as part of the Dynamic Player Performance system too. A few dozen players in Madden NFL 12 will have a “Yes” setting for their Clutch trait. These are guys who will experience a ratings boost (such as deep throwing accuracy or tackling) during a game when the moment calls for it. We’ll have to see if it’s possible, during the run of play, to knock a guy’s Clutch trait to “No” thus saving you from heartbreaking defeat.

All players in Madden NFL 12 have a Consistency trait and a Confidence trait, each on a five star scale. Rather than get into a metaphysical discussion about what those words mean, we can tell you these traits influence hot and cold streaks for players from game to game when you’re playing in Franchise mode. In one-off Play Now and head-to-head online games , Consistency and Confidence traits will be huge as it will allow for variance amongst players each time you play without having to update your rosters. Our man Donny Moore—Madden NFL “Ratings Czar”—won’t be getting off any easier though as he’ll also be tweaking player traits now in addition to player ratings.

Dynamic Player Performance is much more under-the-hood work on Madden NFL 12 than can be explained here. The fact is, however, you will notice certain trends throughout a game now with similar things happening around certain players that you’re not controlling and then other players that you’re not controlling reacting to that. The DPP system takes steps to set up you the player as the X factor in every game of Madden NFL 12, which is how it should be.

Source: Dynamic Player Performance Examined (EA.com)

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 RGiles36 @ 06/03/11 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Not 100% sure about that either, which could be added to my above post.

I assume it does change ratings, as in the IGN piece it said that it affected OVR, but it would not be the first time IGN, or any game site goofed, so I'm not sure now.
Exactly. IGN also said last year that hiring/firing coaches in Madden mattered and would change gameplan/gameflow LOL.

# 42 Reggie16 @ 06/03/11 02:27 PM
Friend 1: You down with DPP?
Friend 2: Yeah! you know me.

# 43 Only1LT @ 06/03/11 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Exactly. IGN also said last year that hiring/firing coaches in Madden mattered and would change gameplan/gameflow LOL.
Lol

Char limit

# 44 at23steelers @ 06/03/11 02:46 PM
So, does this mean that when a RB fumbles it a few times, all the defenders will go more for the ball than the RB? Would be cool to see them all trying to strip away the football from a fumbling prone back.

# 45 RGiles36 @ 06/03/11 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Not 100% sure about that either, which could be added to my above post.

I assume it does change ratings, as in the IGN piece it said that it affected OVR, but it would not be the first time IGN, or any game site goofed, so I'm not sure now.
I think we're on the same page, but just to clarify, I know the ratings are impacted. I'm just curious if they stay the same throughout the course of a game, while the DPP plays it's part. With DPP in play, then I don't think the ratings need to fluctuate in game also. We'll see though.

# 46 kevj349 @ 06/03/11 04:24 PM
I love everything here but the clutch rating.

# 47 Broncos86 @ 06/03/11 04:35 PM
I like the clutch rating. It's a way to differentiate those elite players who come through when the game is on the line. It helps identify those "Capt. Comeback" type of QBs, etc. Certain player shrink when the biggest pressure is on them. Others just know how to rise to the occasion.

# 48 berad88 @ 06/03/11 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevj349
I love everything here but the clutch rating.
Some players are clutch. No doubt about it. I grew up watching John Elway, one of the most clutch players ever. I think one of the blogs said that only like 30 guys in the whole game start out with the clutch trait so its not like the whole league is going to be filled with clutch players. It is just a way to make a great player stand out when he is needed most.

# 49 GAM3R4LYF3 @ 06/05/11 05:33 AM
One problem I foresee is that with QBs like Big Ben who have the Oblivious trait for senses pressure, if you sack them enough time will there senses pressure trait go down to ideal?

Because I don't think it's fair on the defense that if you get enough sacks on someone they get to a point of ideal pressure sensing.

# 50 LambertandHam @ 06/05/11 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJolley20
Well, in real life, the Steelers would most likely adjust their blocking schemes if the defense is getting penetration into the pocket. If that didn't work, Ben would probably simply be more willing to scramble as the game goes on.
I'm hoping that this is what DPP will do. Althought I don't know if it's possible in Madden for CPU coaches and teams to adjust their schemes mid game.

# 51 LambertandHam @ 06/05/11 12:52 PM
Quote:
IIRC, this was touted as a Madden 10 feature. That if you kept having success with one strategy, the CPU would adjust to it.
I must of totally missed out on that. Teams would keep dropping 4-5 in coverage when Mendy was running for 5 YPC.

# 52 shnuskis @ 06/05/11 05:10 PM
Quote:
The fact that John Elway performed so well at the end of games might have something to do with the fact that he was an amazing quarterback.
I don't disagree, but looking at his statistics, he hit 90 QB Rating twice in his 16 year career, mostly hanging in the 70's topping 20 td's only 6 times. Yet he is widely remembered for his heroics in the last two minutes. He was significantly better in the last two minutes of games than he was the rest of the game, or he wouldn't be remembered as great.

# 53 shnuskis @ 06/05/11 08:12 PM
Quote:
Or maybe it just seems that way because the Broncos passed more often in those situations and the fact that players are more scrutinized at the end of games.

If John Elway, or any quarterback for that matter, had the ability to magically play better than they normally do, why wouldn't they play at that level all the time?
If players are scrutinized more at the end of games why would people think he performed better in the fourth quarter than the rest of the game? Wouldn't they know he didn't perform better if they are scrutinizing it more? If he performed the same in the fourth quarter, why did he need to have 35 4rth quarter comebacks and 46 game winning drives? I find it hard to believe a legend can be born out of a 70 qb rating at the end of games.

As far as the second paragraph, why would it magic? Have you ever felt stressed in any situation? Why do some people freeze up when they have to give a speach. Others seem to be right at home? Is it magic? I was in the military. They put stressers on you in training to improve your performance in high stress situations. I don't think it was magic that allowed me to perform in situations I would rather not talk about.

Bottom line is everyone performs differently under stress. The amount of stress in the first quarter is different than the last possession of the game and you have to score. Most people don't get significantly better. If the stress is high enough, most get worse. But it most definantly is not magic.

Or, since it isn't magic, they can't perform that way all game.

# 54 K_GUN @ 06/05/11 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
Bottom line is everyone performs differently under stress. The amount of stress in the first quarter is different than the last possession of the game and you have to score. Most people don't get significantly better. If the stress is high enough, most get worse. But it most definantly is not magic.
agreed

a few years back Curt Schilling was on Boston sports radio (WEEI)...and they asked him what is it about the post-season....his response....."cheeks pucker......some guys just tense up once october baseball starts...simple as that"

# 55 K_GUN @ 06/05/11 08:34 PM
Quote:
But nobody just gets better. Some guys get worse due to the pressure-- no question. But the ones that don't aren't all of a sudden twice as good as normal. They just play AS EXPECTED, which is worth something, but doesn't mean that they get some ridiculous boost at the end of a game.
completely agree....but again...it's a zero-sum game.....if u raise 1 guys ratings or lower all others around him (that are involved in the play)...the result is the same...make sense?

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.