Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

Hellisan, over at Tradition Sports Online, spent some time today documenting NCAA Football 12 team ratings and put together the info for all 120 teams, including prestige.

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 gohogs141 @ 06/09/11 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
Come on slick.....it's not that people have a problem no matter what. Be realistic man, not every school has a B+ defense. There are good schools, take Arkansas recently, who really had pretty medicocre defenses (C,C+, or B- tops) that are still good teams. I don't like how EA inflates everything year in and year out.

Online Dynasty will be the same this year as last....in the fourth season every user team will have a stable of 99s and then there will be a dropoff for everybody in year 5
We finished around 32 in total D last year and were 2nd in the SEC in sacks and TFL...I think B+ is about right with 7 starters returning and a lot of seniors

next year is a different story however...

# 122 schumj @ 06/09/11 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves 82
Missouri deserves a 5* prestige more than Tennessee since it's based off the games you win and Missouri doesn't even deserve a 5* until they win a conference championship. Yes I know Tennessee has a better history, but prestige is based on the present in the game.

Last 5 years
Tennessee 37-28 overall 1-3 in bowl games
Missouri 48-19 overall 2-3 in bowl games
Prestige shouldn't be based on present it should be on present + history. Overall, Off and Def ratings are for present. Prestige is defined as high status or reputation achieved through success, influence, wealth, etc; renown. If you ask an average fan or anyone other than die hards who is more prestigious Tennessee or Missouri I am sure over half would say Tennessee.

# 123 schumj @ 06/09/11 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
I'm still trying to figure out how my Nittany Lions are an A on offense. We lose out leading rusher for the last 4 years, our quarterbacks weren't great. Paul Jones was the best quarterback on our roster and he redshirted, but he obviously won't effect the ratings too much.

B+ at best on offense for us.
Although I think the QB's are a ? I think the running game is an upgrade, the WR's are great and a good OL. I do think B+ would be more appropriate but they are not going to be bad this year, and for all the talk Wisconsin is getting as a time to shine with the OSU situation, I think people need to pay attention to PSU. They are going to have one of the best Defenses in the nation and as long as the QB progresses (whichever one) they should be good.

# 124 The JareBear @ 06/09/11 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumj
Prestige shouldn't be based on present it should be on present + history. Overall, Off and Def ratings are for present. Prestige is defined as high status or reputation achieved through success, influence, wealth, etc; renown. If you ask an average fan or anyone other than die hards who is more prestigious Tennessee or Missouri I am sure over half would say Tennessee.
I am sorry I just really disagree with this. Current quality of on-field play has to be a big chunk of that rating in the game or else actual wins and losses wouldnt mean anything.

# 125 schumj @ 06/09/11 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohogs141
We finished around 32 in total D last year and were 2nd in the SEC in sacks and TFL...I think B+ is about right with 7 starters returning and a lot of seniors

next year is a different story however...
I agree. I think they are a player or two stepping up from A-. Bequette is nasty and IMO the most underated player in the SEC with Kentucky's Danny Trevathan. 2 LB's are nice and your SS is primed for a big year.

# 126 schumj @ 06/09/11 02:56 PM
Quote:
That's a good point Gloves. Also, I believe Mizzou has produced more NFL first rounders than UT in that time span too (could be wrong)
Well since 2000 Tulane has as many 1st rounders as Notre Dame. Should they be equal then?

# 127 The JareBear @ 06/09/11 02:58 PM
I could spend all day arguing it, I am gonna bow out of this one. I just feel like there needs to be a bigger gap between Great defenses, Good defenses, and Decent defenses. Not every school should be rated the same just because they play in a big conference

# 128 The JareBear @ 06/09/11 03:00 PM
Quote:
Well since 2000 Tulane has as many 1st rounders as Notre Dame. Should they be equal then?
That was just one stat and one aspect to look at on top of everything else. What is Tulane's record recently? How many big opponents have they beaten?

Probably not the same level as Notre Dame or Mizzou.

Mizzou has had a very successful run recently and been in NC title contention as well as Big 12 title contention

If history was all that mattered then Army and Navy would be 6* still and Miami would be a permanent 6* due to their dominance in the past 30 years or so. It changes year to year man, it should never stay the same just because of history. If you suck on the field your rating should go down. There should be a penalty or bonus or on field play year to year

# 129 jhawk826 @ 06/09/11 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
Minus the Robinson era, Cuse's history is pretty rich compared to schools they have ranked ahead of us. I see you went to SU as well and you're probably one of the people who never went to a game or knew we had a program until we won a bowl game in December. Laugh it up if you want to.

# 130 Gloves 82 @ 06/09/11 03:26 PM
Quote:
I'm not saying it should be based on present, but in the game, it is. If you're a 6* in the game and finish ranked #29 one year, you'll go down to a 5*. That's where my argument was coming from. I would say Tennessee is more prestigious than Mizzou as well because they have a better history, but the game doesn't take history into account.

# 131 schumj @ 06/09/11 03:28 PM
Quote:
That was just one stat and one aspect to look at on top of everything else. What is Tulane's record recently? How many big opponents have they beaten?

Mizzou has had a very successful run recently and been in NC title contention as well as Big 12 title contention

If history was all that mattered then Army and Navy would be 6* still and Miami would be a permanent 6* due to their dominance in the past 30 years or so. It changes year to year man, it should never stay the same just because of history. If you suck on the field your rating should go down. There should be a penalty or bonus or on field play year to year
I agree that current standing should effect the rating. But I have disagree with the idea Missou should be ahead of Tennessee. Technically last year is history but it should be a combo of history and recent success. I like how ESPN devised their rankings for most prestigious. You could easily take their same formula and come up with something for the last 20 years or 30 years instead of back to win the AP came out. But they would still be behind Tennessee.

Prestige - How a team is revered. Anyone older than 25 will know that Tennessee has had a Heisman Runner up, won a national championship and competed for multiple conference championships winning multiple in the last 20 years. What can Missouri say similar. That they have had a better record the last 5-8 years? They have not had a runner up or even come close to a Heisman. They have played in a few conf championships but have never came close to competing. And that one year they had a chance at playing in a NC and failed?

# 132 Gloves 82 @ 06/09/11 03:29 PM
Quote:

I think some history should be involved, but not only history

# 133 schumj @ 06/09/11 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves 82
I'm not saying it should be based on present, but in the game, it is. If you're a 6* in the game and finish ranked #29 one year, you'll go down to a 5*. That's where my argument was coming from. I would say Tennessee is more prestigious than Mizzou as well because they have a better history, but the game doesn't take history into account.
I can understand that point. The game's prestige formula is broken. Or what I should say is the game has a different idea of what prestige is then I do.

# 134 sparkdawg777 @ 06/09/11 04:07 PM
Quote:

I've been going back and forth on this debate about prestige, and I have to agree with you. Especially looking at ND this is why they are a 5* in my eyes. They are a 6* in history and tradition (winning) but they have played down to the 4* level recently, that averages to a 5*.

Missouri on the other hand in my eyes is 3* (but rising close to 4 thanks to recent success) in history and tradition and a playing like a 5*. So it is close there.

Tennessee, man, good ole Tennessee that's a tough one because I would like to give you guys a 6* on history but the lack of success recently makes it hard to. But it's hard to forget what yall did a decade ago so I will always have at least a 5* respect for them but recently you guys have played down to 3*, that could average to the 4*.

South Carolina for instance would have a 3* history, and but their team this year is probably a 5*. There's your 4*

Clemson I would say has 4* history and team is 4* (bad year last year but year before made ACC Championship)

Does this way of grading sound fair?

# 135 Wildcats302 @ 06/09/11 04:19 PM
Penn State being a 6 is a joke. I see that one poster saying drop Miami to a 4 from a 5...really? Penn State needs to be a 3 then sine they have 2 national titles ever, and Miami has 5...4 of them since Penn State's last title, coincidentally against Miami.

I think OSU should be a 6, Alabama a 6, FL a 6, LSU a 6, Oklahoma a 6, Texas a 6, and honestly beyond that, that's about it, unless you wanna put USC in the mix despite two straight sub par years and more to come with probation taking its toll on them no doubt.

The 6 teams I have as 6 stars has to do with what they have done in the past 5-10 years, as well as historically. I get what the Notre Dame fans are saying, but 23 years with no end in sight on winning a national title has to take a toll at some point. Same thing with Michigan, the last few years have been awful. If both of those were 6's, along with say a Nebraska, would I absolutely pitch a fit? No, but in my opinion they should not be until they have some 2-3 years of consistent BCS bowls and competing for a title, because the historical aspect is certainly there for all of them.

# 136 schumj @ 06/09/11 04:42 PM
I have been an avid college football fan since 1993. Back then you could only watch like two games plus Notre Dame every Saturday. Sometimes you would get another couple if they were big games. So needless to say this I love history and college football. So I dove into this more. I decided to do a little more research just on these two teams for now.

I used ESPN's formula for figuring prestige score and calculated two different periods. I did the last 20 years (1991-present) and just the BCS era (1998-Present).

The formula uses NC's, Major Bowls, Major Bowl wins, Top 5 ranking 6-10 ranking, 11-25 ranking, Heisman winners, conference titles, Bowl games, bowl victories, 10 Win seasons, Weeks as #1 or #2, Wins over #1 teams, All Americans, 1st round draft picks and losing seasons.

Here is my findings:

LAST 20 YEARS
Missouri's score of 66.
Tennessee 323.

I don't think anyone would be surprised as Missouri has only seen recent success and Tennesse was very good in the 90's.

Now on to the BCS era.
Missouri's score 71 if you are wondering how it got better with less stats it is the losing seasons. You get -2 points for losing seasons and they have had less. So 71!

Tennessee's score 202

If you are wondering you only get 25 points for a NC so that is not the one thing pushing them over.

# 137 Wildcats302 @ 06/09/11 04:46 PM
Ok I'll get in on the UT vs. Missouri thing.

UT owns Missouri in every aspect and this coming from a Kentucky fan that has every reason to loath UT football(trust me I do lol), but I have to give them their props on beating us all the time and having a good historical basis to work with. I will say this though, 1 national title in the past 53 years in 1998-1999 season, and that's it. I can see why they would be a 4-5 star team, and with them expected to have another 6-6 type season this year, I can see why EA put them at 4 star. When all you do now in the SEC is beat Vandy and UK in football, you can expect a drop off in prestige IMO.

# 138 The JareBear @ 06/09/11 04:50 PM
SO it should take 20 years of mediocrity before a team finally loses a sixth star in this game?

# 139 poopoop @ 06/09/11 04:53 PM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but does anyone else think it's weird that way more teams have a higher off grade than def, vs the other way around.

Just skimming through the list real quick (I may have missed a team or two) I only saw: Bama, LSU, UConn, Virginia, Purdue, Marshall, Mid Tenn State, Idaho, UTEP,UAB. That's 10 teams. Meanwhile 10 of the top 12 teams have better offenses than defenses.

I first noticed this last year looks like it's the same again.

# 140 poopoop @ 06/09/11 04:57 PM
Also just let people edit school prestige (and all the school's recruiting grades) so we can skip past these arguments about who is a 4 vs 5 star.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.