Home
Backbreaker Vengeance News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

UPDATE: It seems the PS3 version will not arrive in North America.

Quote:
"Backbreaker Vengeance will be available in PAL territories on PSN and XBLA however, in North America the game will only be available on XBLA. This is very unfortunate, but it is beyond our control and we would have liked for the PlayStation version to be available worldwide."

Get ready to stuff the competition with the hardest-hitting gridiron game this summer, on Xbox®LIVE and PSN®

(Milton Keynes) –22 June, 2011 — 505 Games and NaturalMotion Games announced today that Backbreaker Vengeance™, the next chapter in the genre-changing Backbreaker franchise, will be available on Xbox®LIVE Arcade for the Xbox®360 videogame and entertainment systems from 29 June, 2011.The game will also be released on PlayStation®3 via PlayStation®Network later this summer[i].

“Backbreaker Vengeance is the perfect summer game and a great addition to the wildly successful Backbreaker franchise,” said Ian Howe, President, 505 Games North America. “Building on the instantly gratifying fun of Tackle Alley with new modes and moves, and with hundreds of intense levels, Backbreaker Vengeance is the total package for anyone who wants to jump into a game for a few minutes or a few hours.”

Backbreaker Vengeance takes the intensity and AAA appeal of the original Backbreaker Football console game and combines it with the pick-up-and-play nature of the million-selling iPhone app to create a whole new one-of-a-kind sports experience for digital download on Xbox LIVE Arcade for Xbox 360. Powered by the groundbreaking euphoria engine Backbreaker Vengeance, features hard-hitting tackles that are unique every time, and bound to want players to have “just one more go”.

“Backbreaker has changed the way people play football video games,” said Torsten Reil, CEO of NaturalMotion. “Backbreaker Vengeance for Xbox LIVE Arcade takes everything we’ve learnt about truly live sports gaming and combines it with arcade gameplay for the fastest, most instantly playable football experience anywhere.”

Since its arrival on the mobile platforms in late 2009, Backbreaker as a franchise has garnered over 5 million fans across the world, testament to its proudly accessible approach to the football genre.

Whether you takedown or touchdown…it’s Vengeance!

Backbreaker Vengeance is slated for release 29 June, 2011, Xbox®LIVE Arcade for the Xbox®360 videogame and entertainment system for Microsoft and a few weeks later on PlayStation®3 via Playstation®Network from Sony in PAL territories.

For more information on Backbreaker Vengeance, please visit http://www.facebook.com/Backbreakergame

Web:

http://www.backbreakergame.com

Game: Backbreaker VengeanceHype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: Xbox 360Votes for game: 11 - View All
Backbreaker Vengeance Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Phobia @ 06/22/11 11:46 AM
One word = Boring!

# 2 khaliib @ 06/22/11 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

Point #1 - “Backbreaker Vengeance is the perfect summer game and a great addition to the wildly successful Backbreaker franchise,” said Ian Howe, President, 505 Games North America.

Point #2 - “Backbreaker has changed the way people play football video games,” said Torsten Reil, CEO of NaturalMotion.
This (Point #1) identifies why this game seems to be relegated to being happy to just making a profit in the Football genre currently occupied only by EA Sports.

People were excited at first by the Phyisics Based Engine and the prospect of an "Authentic" Sim-Style football game, but the error in thinking (Point #2) identifies why the game Developers missed their opportunity to increase their following.

The Football community did not want a "New Way" to Play Football, we wanted a Simulation game that would've immersed us more than the current football games we have been getting on Next-Gen.

(Point #3) Why would they release this a day after NCAA Demo release?

Trying to compete Marketing wise with a Full 11 on 11 football game with a Tackling/Running only Mode makes me scratch my head and ask what was their Marketing people thinking?

If anything, release it early during this "Dead" period were gamers are trying to fill the void with something.
But not during the release window of the only College Football Game comming out.

**The community will spend most of it's time getting deep and breaking down this game with little to no time remaining for Backbreaker Vengence.

Hopefully any Developer that wants to get into the Football scene, will consider and avoid the pot-holes Backbreaker steped into.

# 3 PaleVermilion @ 06/22/11 12:39 PM
As a PS3 owner who lives in the U.S., I'm really excited this game is only going to be available in PAL territories.

# 4 xITSxDAWKINSx @ 06/22/11 04:13 PM
i played the demo for backbreaker last year and it was very fun. but as a complete football game it didnt wow me. sad to say this vid didnt do any thing for me and its sad because people are looking for a madden killer and even if this company gets an nfl deal one day what they have put out wont get it done

# 5 jyoung @ 06/22/11 04:55 PM
Looks like a multiplayer tackle alley type game? Should be lots of fun!

After what I've seen from videos, I'm not very excited about the NCAA demo. I don't need to play the demo to know what I'm getting with that game: same old EA engine slighted tweaked for the umpteenth time.

I'm much more excited to see what a NEW football game has to offer.

# 6 jagsrock95 @ 06/22/11 06:06 PM
I'll never understand why Backbreaker went the route it did. It had something Ea didn't(and still doesnt) which is amazing physics system and instead chose to be an arcade game. Imagine what they could have done if they went after Madden directly. sure no real teams but I would get over that if I was getting a Sim experience with breath taking physics engine to boot. They really didn't need to make so many changes to the gameplay style just to be different the physics engine was more than enough. If they would have gone the APF2k8 route they would have probably been more successful and would have been able to "convert" a lot more Madden players then what they did with Backbreaker. Maybe just maybe if they did make a more traditional style game it would have forced EA to get on the physics stuff for madden as well much sooner meaning we'd be getting a Madden game with physics maybe as soon as this year or next year instead of whenever EA feels like it.

# 7 TheTodd84 @ 06/22/11 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsrock95
I'll never understand why Backbreaker went the route it did. It had something Ea didn't(and still doesnt) which is amazing physics system and instead chose to be an arcade game. Imagine what they could have done if they went after Madden directly. sure no real teams but I would get over that if I was getting a Sim experience with breath taking physics engine to boot. They really didn't need to make so many changes to the gameplay style just to be different the physics engine was more than enough. If they would have gone the APF2k8 route they would have probably been more successful and would have been able to "convert" a lot more Madden players then what they did with Backbreaker. Maybe just maybe if they did make a more traditional style game it would have forced EA to get on the physics stuff for madden as well much sooner meaning we'd be getting a Madden game with physics maybe as soon as this year or next year instead of whenever EA feels like it.
Couldn't agree any more. They even completed changed their website so that there are no more forums for open discussion or anything. That pretty much means that backbreaker as we know it is dead. I think where they went wrong is the atrocious camera angle that was borderline unplayable and the horrendous player models that were not even customizable in height and weight. It's a shame, really, because the euphoria engine had so much potential, football-wise... it just simply was not executed properly. I would say that maybe these things could be touched upon in backbreaker 2, but there is no backbreaker 2 now that the website and it's forums are gone. What shame.

This game is like Marcus Dupree.... so much potential gone to waste.

# 8 Blzer @ 06/22/11 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd84
They even completed changed their website so that there are no more forums for open discussion or anything.
What are you talking about? I just went to the website and their message boards five seconds ago.

# 9 mestevo @ 06/22/11 11:52 PM
Probably went to Naturalmotiongames.com, which does not send traffic to Backbreakergame.com. That site is essentially dead, it was never fully updated (downloads still 'coming soon!') and the final video just prior to release was never even added. The mobile site said 'Backbreaker Coming Soon!' for 6 months after release.

# 10 Steve_OS @ 06/23/11 12:25 AM
Updated OP.

Backbreaker Vengeance will be available in PAL territories on PSN and XBLA however, in North America the game will only be available on XBLA. This is very unfortunate, but it is beyond our control and we would have liked for the PlayStation version to be available worldwide.

# 11 TreyIM2 @ 06/23/11 06:02 AM
This game just seems like a waste of great tech. This vid? WACK! What kind of marketing team do these cats have?? And why do the player models STILL run and look like that???? Maybe Nat Mot is using most of their resources on apps and the hockey joint or maybe a TRUE BB2? Is there still going to be a true follow-up to BB?

# 12 mestevo @ 06/23/11 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
This game just seems like a waste of great tech. This vid? WACK! What kind of marketing team do these cats have?? And why do the player models STILL run and look like that???? Maybe Nat Mot is using most of their resources on apps and the hockey joint or maybe a TRUE BB2? Is there still going to be a true follow-up to BB?
Icebreaker was made by another company.

Edit: they posted on Facebook this morning that the game will be $15.

# 13 TreyIM2 @ 06/23/11 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Icebreaker was made by another company.

Edit: they posted on Facebook this morning that the game will be $15.
Whatever the case, they are wasting wonderful tech on this silly 'game'. I was really looking foward to seeing how they would boss up and create a great follow-up to BB. BB was a good foundation that just needed a lot more work which I expected in a BB2. Maybe they never really intended on a sequel which I was initially saying. Tech demo status to prove something to EA?

# 14 Blzer @ 06/23/11 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
Whatever the case, they are wasting wonderful tech on this silly 'game'. I was really looking foward to seeing how they would boss up and create a great follow-up to BB. BB was a good foundation that just needed a lot more work which I expected in a BB2. Maybe they never really intended on a sequel which I was initially saying. Tech demo status to prove something to EA?
In my opinion, this downloadable game was a necessary step for BB2. Generate revenue, attract an audience, and work on in-game mechanics as this can be their stepping stone toward their next game.

# 15 Blzer @ 06/24/11 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestServedCold
The did it backwards actually. They should have built a foundation with their downloadable games first and then made the actually Backbreaker.

Captain Hindsight to the rescue.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...tain-hindsight
I know that much, but I'm saying while that didn't happen, it's good that they didn't jump straight to a sequel as well.

# 16 mestevo @ 06/24/11 12:58 AM
I just don't see this doing well in the glare of the NCAA demo and PR cycle at $15. Should have come out a month ago.

If this game doesn't do well.. barely makes an appearance on Major Nelson's top 10 or 15 whatever it is, and then is never seen from again, then this is the last BB console release of any kind IMO.

# 17 PaleVermilion @ 06/24/11 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I just don't see this doing well in the glare of the NCAA demo and PR cycle at $15. Should have come out a month ago.

If this game doesn't do well.. barely makes an appearance on Major Nelson's top 10 or 15 whatever it is, and then is never seen from again, then this is the last BB console release of any kind IMO.
This is spot on. I'm betting this is their last attempt at a console version unless they team up with a company like 2k or EA.

# 18 mestevo @ 06/24/11 02:14 PM
Latest on Twitter from their CEO:

Quote:
BB Vengeance on PS3: we'd love to bring you the game in the US, but it’s down to SCEA. Nothing to do with money or exclusivity.
So they just couldn't get a deal done w/ Sony.

# 19 mestevo @ 06/27/11 12:38 PM
Notes from Q&A today:

- Demo/trial was confirmed (like all arcade games)

- "Backbreaker Vengeance is using an all-new locomotion system, which is more responsive than the previous one"

- there have been discussions, but NM remains the only user of Euphoria in a sports game

I am not sure there is a 4 human players mode, after reading this question:

"In backbreaker vengeance will I be able to play supremacy with 3 of my friends and an AI player online?"

The answer given was:

"You can play with up to two players on one box (splitscreen), and up to two boxes online. So, you could play with up to two human players and two AI for a total of four players overall"

To me that means only 2 human players max, not 4.

- Rivals system mentioned for the first time (but no details), first I've heard of that I think?

# 20 DavonBrown @ 06/27/11 02:30 PM
What's the estimated cost of the engine?

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.