Home
Backbreaker Vengeance News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

UPDATE: It seems the PS3 version will not arrive in North America.

Quote:
"Backbreaker Vengeance will be available in PAL territories on PSN and XBLA however, in North America the game will only be available on XBLA. This is very unfortunate, but it is beyond our control and we would have liked for the PlayStation version to be available worldwide."

Get ready to stuff the competition with the hardest-hitting gridiron game this summer, on Xbox®LIVE and PSN®

(Milton Keynes) –22 June, 2011 — 505 Games and NaturalMotion Games announced today that Backbreaker Vengeance™, the next chapter in the genre-changing Backbreaker franchise, will be available on Xbox®LIVE Arcade for the Xbox®360 videogame and entertainment systems from 29 June, 2011.The game will also be released on PlayStation®3 via PlayStation®Network later this summer[i].

“Backbreaker Vengeance is the perfect summer game and a great addition to the wildly successful Backbreaker franchise,” said Ian Howe, President, 505 Games North America. “Building on the instantly gratifying fun of Tackle Alley with new modes and moves, and with hundreds of intense levels, Backbreaker Vengeance is the total package for anyone who wants to jump into a game for a few minutes or a few hours.”

Backbreaker Vengeance takes the intensity and AAA appeal of the original Backbreaker Football console game and combines it with the pick-up-and-play nature of the million-selling iPhone app to create a whole new one-of-a-kind sports experience for digital download on Xbox LIVE Arcade for Xbox 360. Powered by the groundbreaking euphoria engine Backbreaker Vengeance, features hard-hitting tackles that are unique every time, and bound to want players to have “just one more go”.

“Backbreaker has changed the way people play football video games,” said Torsten Reil, CEO of NaturalMotion. “Backbreaker Vengeance for Xbox LIVE Arcade takes everything we’ve learnt about truly live sports gaming and combines it with arcade gameplay for the fastest, most instantly playable football experience anywhere.”

Since its arrival on the mobile platforms in late 2009, Backbreaker as a franchise has garnered over 5 million fans across the world, testament to its proudly accessible approach to the football genre.

Whether you takedown or touchdown…it’s Vengeance!

Backbreaker Vengeance is slated for release 29 June, 2011, Xbox®LIVE Arcade for the Xbox®360 videogame and entertainment system for Microsoft and a few weeks later on PlayStation®3 via Playstation®Network from Sony in PAL territories.

For more information on Backbreaker Vengeance, please visit http://www.facebook.com/Backbreakergame

Web:

http://www.backbreakergame.com

Game: Backbreaker VengeanceHype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: Xbox 360Votes for game: 11 - View All
Backbreaker Vengeance Videos
Member Comments
# 21 mestevo @ 06/27/11 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavonBrown
What's the estimated cost of the engine?
There doesn't appear to be a flat fee, costs are negotiated for each title most likely.

Euphoria as Backbreaker demonstrated isn't an out of the box solution though even highly customized, it has to be used hand in hand with other physics and behavioral engines to achieve the desired result. That's why you see things like Havok also used in Grand Theft Auto in conjunction with their in-house physics solution and Euphoria. Only using Euphoria is why there's no fabric in Backbreaker, it doesn't model that kind of behavior.

As a result, it's much more likely other companies will use their resources to develop an in-house solution to meet their needs and only license Euphoria to help with some of the behavioral animation like Rockstar has done in mutiple games now.

# 22 coogrfan @ 06/27/11 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Looks like a multiplayer tackle alley type game? Should be lots of fun!

After what I've seen from videos, I'm not very excited about the NCAA demo. I don't need to play the demo to know what I'm getting with that game: same old EA engine slighted tweaked for the umpteenth time.

I'm much more excited to see what a NEW football game has to offer.
What NM is offering is a football game with the actual football removed...yours for only $15!

Unbelievably dumb marketing decision.

# 23 opd897 @ 06/27/11 08:59 PM
Passing on this one, getting tired of the tackle ally games. $15.00 seems a little steep anyway.

# 24 NoDakHusker @ 06/28/11 09:11 AM
If it was cheaper I'd get it, but $15 is too much for what little this game has to offer.
I'll just stick with Tackle Alley in the BB I already have if I need a TA fix.

# 25 mestevo @ 06/28/11 12:43 PM
I won't rule out an impulse purchase, but the next time I turn on my 360 it will probably be to download the NCAA demo, giving me plenty to do. I have BB1/Android app/Vengeance on iPad to scratch this itch still.

# 26 blkrptnt819 @ 07/06/11 01:03 PM
Ok but they need to make money as a company. Many ppl want them to make a game to make EA go the physics route then they will never play Backbreaker again, PERIOD. 505 Studios is trying to stay sustainable and a functioning company for a long time. Now if the license expires then we may have a competition that 505 has a chance to win.

# 27 jyoung @ 07/06/11 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston_Tiger
- "Backbreaker Vengeance is using an all-new locomotion system, which is more responsive than the previous one"
Yep, the engine got a HUGE upgrade in this game.

This is like a Street Fighter to Street Fighter II upgrade.

# 28 mestevo @ 07/06/11 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
Ok but they need to make money as a company. Many ppl want them to make a game to make EA go the physics route then they will never play Backbreaker again, PERIOD. 505 Studios is trying to stay sustainable and a functioning company for a long time. Now if the license expires then we may have a competition that 505 has a chance to win.
It's not just 505 either, NM is the developer, so you have 2 layers of people trying to make a profit on relatively small sales.

BB1 was much more than some NFL branding from being a good game though, and the studio is much too small to buy a piece of the non-exclusive NFL pie should it ever exist. The console license will never be cheap enough for someone like NM to pick it up.

Maybe there's some options in the mobile space - http://toucharcade.com/2010/08/03/fi...ofts-nfl-2011/

Gameloft is able to afford a license apparently, it's the type of games that NM produces for the mobile platforms that will prevent them from doing the same.

The only hope for subsequent Backbreakers to have NFL branding is that they don't neuter the customization at any point under threat of a lawsuit for endorsing the violation of NFL and other intellectual properties.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.