Home
News Post

Joel Reuter, baseball columnist for Bleacher Report, has just posted his power rankings of the 50 Greatest Baseball Video Games of All-Time. Agree or disagree?

Quote:
For as long as there have been video game systems, there have been sports video games, and through the years, some of the best games ever made have been baseball games.

From the first baseball game for the Atari 2600 system back in 1978 to MLB2K11 this season for the Xbox 360 and PS3, there have been some great games, as well as some not so great games. It should be noted, PC games were not included for the sake of the list, so no Backyard Baseball (and no the PS@ version doesn't make the cut).

So here are my power rankings for the top 50 baseball video games through the years. I took into account how the game compared to its counterparts when it was released, if the game brought any groundbreaking innovations to the table and how playable the game still is today.

Member Comments
# 1 Knight165 @ 06/27/11 07:55 PM
Didn't even click to your last choice.
You got #2 wrong, so #1 must be wrong also.

M.K.
Knight165

# 2 HustlinOwl @ 06/27/11 08:17 PM
nostalgia all that is

# 3 Steve_OS @ 06/27/11 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Didn't even click to your last choice.
You got #2 wrong, so #1 must be wrong also.

M.K.
Knight165
Wasn't my article, lol.

# 4 Knight165 @ 06/27/11 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Wasn't my article, lol.

I am joking around though.
I looked.

M.K.
Knight165

# 5 truintellectplaya @ 06/27/11 10:32 PM
Tecmo Baseball may have been the 1st I played. I agree MVP Baseball is the best and still better than the Show.

# 6 Gleebo @ 06/27/11 10:51 PM
How is the High Heat series not top 5? The batter/pitcher interface is better than anything on the market currently...

Also MLB Power Pros should be top 10 and its not even mentioned...

# 7 SportsTop @ 06/27/11 11:03 PM
The ENTIRE High Heat Series was at #25? Hell no. Hard to reading after that but I also thought World Series baseball got a raw deal.

# 8 ryan36 @ 06/27/11 11:42 PM
Baseball stars should be higher, ASB should be higher, High Heat should be no lower than 4, and I spent a year and a half playing Super Tecmo Baseball...

# 9 bkrich83 @ 06/27/11 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsTop
The ENTIRE High Heat Series was at #25? Hell no. Hard to reading after that but I also thought World Series baseball got a raw deal.
It was ranked behind super Mario baseball. That was all I needed to see.

# 10 Knight165 @ 06/28/11 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
It was ranked behind super Mario baseball. That was all I needed to see.
Right?
It may have been ugly as hell(in hindsight especially)...some of the Frankenstein faces still give me horrors..
But under the hood...that was one heck of a game.(the series)...and the one that really kicked me into editing rosters.
It should be MUCH higher.

M.K.
Knight165

# 11 bcruise @ 06/28/11 12:03 AM
Quote:
Right?
It may have been ugly as hell(in hindsight especially)...some of the Frankenstein faces still give me horrors..
But under the hood...that was one heck of a game.(the series)...and the one that really kicked me into editing rosters.
It should be MUCH higher.

M.K.
Knight165
And that's before we even start to mention the capabilities of the tuning file....

You could literally tweak that game to any style of baseball that you wanted, once you understood just what all that file could do...

# 12 Knight165 @ 06/28/11 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
And that's before we even start to mention the capabilities of the tuning file....

You could literally tweak that game to any style of baseball that you wanted, once you understood just what all that file could do...
Yep...that an the editor that a programmer made for it made that one sick title.
You could edit EVERYTHING with that game.

M.K.
Knight165

# 13 Sportsforever @ 06/28/11 02:16 AM
Typical Bleacher Report list...full of fail.

# 14 bkrich83 @ 06/28/11 03:34 AM
Quote:
Yep...that an the editor that a programmer made for it made that one sick title.
You could edit EVERYTHING with that game.

M.K.
Knight165
I love The Show, it's my favorite sports game of all time. But damn if I wouldn't kill for an updated version of HH on the PC.

# 15 SkillzKillz719 @ 06/28/11 04:52 AM
What about Backyard Baseball?
I think most of my 2nd grade summer was that game. Probably the most fun with a baseball game lol.

Although what about Out of the Park? I just bought 12' and LOVE it.

# 16 Joey @ 06/28/11 08:59 AM
I wish this article wouldn't have been in slideshow format so it wouldn't have wasted so much of my time. I should have stopped at High Heat.

# 17 thaSLAB @ 06/28/11 10:33 AM
Very nice article! I pretty much agree for the most part... HH maybe a little higher (personally), but not a big issue. Looking at the list made me realize just how much of a baseball fanatic I am, and always have been. And, that I'm getting up there in years (looking at the release dates), LOL.

# 18 gigadkc @ 06/28/11 10:41 AM
the list is a joke because PYS is missing and it's at least a top 5 game.

# 19 bkrich83 @ 06/28/11 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigadkc
the list is a joke because PYS is missing and it's at least a top 5 game.
Why would it be on here. It's not a game readily available in the U.S.

# 20 jfsolo @ 06/28/11 11:35 AM
Everyone has already mentioned the HH snub, so I don't have to say anything else about that. Personally, I will never understand why so many people love(d) MVP so much. IMO it is the most overrated sports video game series ever.

The game being martyred,(like NFL 2K) is a large part of it IMO.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.