Home
MLB Bobblehead Pros News Post

Back at E3, I previewed MLB Bobblehead Pros and pretty much could not say enough nice things about it. Konami's Power Pros baseball franchise is beloved for all the right reasons, and this $10 XBLA arcade game seems to be just another way for more people to experience the franchise.

Many folks may have missed out on the series because it has mostly been known for being released on Nintendo platforms this generation, but it's a simulation baseball series that is hidden under a cartoon-like graphical facade. While this version is not quite as in-depth as some of the earlier retail versions of the game, it seems like there is still local co-op online, an edit player feature (although it seems to be locked when you first play the game), full 162-game season and create-a-team elements as well.

Some members here at Operation Sports have already picked up the title and have some nice things to say about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
And the game is incredibly realistic..I just started a season and the Pirates blasted the Cubs 8-5. The Cubs starting pitching was atrocious, and the they had 2 errors in the field. You can't ask a game to be anymore realistic than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan136
It is looking good, and it feels exactly like Power Pros. It's just as easy to play.
There is a demo for folks to try, and it appears more content will be coming to the game later in the summer. Some of the content coming at a later date includes a home run derby, as well as My Bobble mode, which seems like it will be some sort of career mode where you control one single player for a whole season. I doubt it will be as in depth as "The Life" mode found in other Power Pros games, but it would still be a welcomed addition regardless.

Lastly, while the Xbox Live Arcade version is the only one out right now, it seems like a PS3 version will be coming at a later date.

Game: MLB Bobblehead ProsReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 3 - View All
MLB Bobblehead Pros Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jyoung @ 07/06/11 03:02 PM
Yeah that's another thing that's disappointing is how they just announce the players' numbers but not their names.

If you look at the back of the players' jerseys, you'll notice that it also only displays their numbers.

The actual Bobblehead models of the players and "bobblehead" physics are awesome, though.

# 22 jyoung @ 07/06/11 03:42 PM
PA announcer volume can be tweaked.

There are separate volume controls for a bunch of stuff.

# 23 aga11ah @ 07/06/11 03:52 PM
lol I put it on Just Swing batting and won 36-0 against all-star pitching. yikes. was fun though. 4 HR's each with McCann/Heyward/Uggla

I suck with normal hitting though

# 24 falcons2003 @ 07/06/11 03:56 PM
I actually like the challenge with fielding.

-We are used to preloading are throws on other games, so that's what's causing the dives,,,I just need more practice with that.

-Fielding is tough, and very sensitive on the stick. But I do like that. Again I think we are used to other baseall games where it has the vacuum effect and you just need to get your player close to the ball to start the animation.,,not gonna work here.

# 25 Blzer @ 07/06/11 04:06 PM
If the fielding is just like MLB Power Pros, I adore that style for this game and have no problem with it. I can laugh at the mistakes that I make, and laugh harder when making a great play.

# 26 ComfortablyLomb @ 07/06/11 04:07 PM
Pitch movement has been greatly exaggerated compared to PP2008 and I kind of like that decision. I thought breaking balls were a little too flat in the previous releases. The curveballs that Gavin Floyd throws in that video look like they're thrown with a wiffle ball. I love it.

I'm guessing player abilities (Hot Hitter, Contact Hitter, Refined, etc.) have been removed since I'm not seeing cursors shrink or grow depending on count. That's a shame but in no way a game breaker. That this seems to be Power Pros with a little work done to it is pretty much the best surprise I could have hoped for in sports gaming this summer. Can't wait to throw some money at this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
If the fielding is just like MLB Power Pros, I adore that style for this game and have no problem with it. I can laugh at the mistakes that I make, and laugh harder when making a great play.
I got used to it after a while with 2007 and 2008. It wasn't perfect but it works just fine IMO. Maybe that was only because I logged several hundred games played over those two releases.

# 27 areobee401 @ 07/06/11 04:19 PM
Can't beat the value for $10. While not as deep as the past games its still a blast to play. Which is exactly what I was hoping for. Being able to play online should make it even more fun. Best $10 I've spent in the marketplace.

# 28 bluengold34_OS @ 07/06/11 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
Can't beat the value for $10. While not as deep as the past games its still a blast to play. Which is exactly what I was hoping for. Being able to play online should make it even more fun. Best $10 I've spent in the marketplace.
Couldn't agree more if I wanted. I have already played 13 games and its still delivering the same amount of fun. It has it's little quirks, but so did Power Pros. Other than the hits being a little high, I have actually had some really wide ranging games so far as scores go.

4 games into my season with the Cubs

Game 1 Cubs 7 Pirates 3

Game 2 Pirates 3 Cubs 2

Game 3 Pirates 6 Cubs 4

Game 4 Cubs 5 DBacks 2

I am playing this game on default season settings, which is normal across the board.

Carlos Pena is my leading home run hitter with 2, and also with 4 RBI. I have 4 home-runs as a team, and have given up 2 as a staff. I got 5 games into my first season, and realized you have to create a profile, or you can't save your season.....so, needless to say, we had to start the season over again.

# 29 ComfortablyLomb @ 07/06/11 04:41 PM
Hits were high in PP too... which kind of made up for walks being so low.

Random question: can players be edited?

# 30 bluengold34_OS @ 07/06/11 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
Hits were high in PP too... which kind of made up for walks being so low.

Random question: can players be edited?
There is a player edit option...but it has to be unlocked, and I have not figured out how to unlock it yet.

# 31 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftheavy
can you change the amount of innings you play?
Yeah, and the amount of extra innings.

# 32 aga11ah @ 07/06/11 06:02 PM
just played online to see how that was...

it was laggy. hard to do much really. it was Tampa @ Det (me).. neither of scored in the 3 innings.. had like 3-4 hits combined.. in extras it loads the bases with 1 out.. he scored 1 run off a wild pitch.. then in the bottom of the inning he had me 2 strikes 2 outs and Miggy came through with a clutch hit.. then Mags got a game winner after that. but like I said.. the lag hurt the experience for sure.

I'm loving the game offline though.

# 33 jyoung @ 07/06/11 06:11 PM
Way too many HRs in my first game on normal settings.

Final score was:

Brewers - 9
Reds - 11

I had 3 HRs from Ryan Braun and another 3 HRs by Corey Hart.

I guess I will up the pitch speed to fast or something to make it more difficult.

Also saw two injuries:

On 1 play the CPU slid into 3rd base and got hurt. Then I left my setup pitcher in the game too long and he got hurt throwing while fatigued and had to leave the ballgame.

# 34 jyoung @ 07/06/11 06:21 PM
Also, I tried to create a team, and all you can do is edit existing MLB teams.

Disappointing.

# 35 falcons2003 @ 07/06/11 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
Pitch movement has been greatly exaggerated compared to PP2008 and I kind of like that decision. I thought breaking balls were a little too flat in the previous releases. The curveballs that Gavin Floyd throws in that video look like they're thrown with a wiffle ball. I love it.
Wait until you see Lincecum's curveball.....filthy!!!

# 36 falcons2003 @ 07/06/11 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Also, I tried to create a team, and all you can do is edit existing MLB teams.

Disappointing.
Interesting though,,,maybe we can use this feature to edit some players not currently on the team, to players that are? Maybe we can use it to update the rosters?? How many teams can you create? and can you add those created teams to start a season? Or does it not have that much customization?

Haven't really messed around with the game much, just played 4 games.

# 37 jyoung @ 07/06/11 07:43 PM
I believe there are are 32 create-a-team slots.

You can basically edit everything about the MLB teams, including their names, numbers, player roles and tendencies.

You just can't make custom uniforms or ballparks or anything like that. Have to use the default MLB stuff.

# 38 jyoung @ 07/06/11 07:48 PM
I changed the pitch speed to fast, and that did increase the hitting difficulty some.

I only hit 2 homers this game instead of 6, though one was by my relief pitcher who was just coming off an injury the game before. Guess they treated him with some mighty strong stuff!

Final score was Brewers 7, Reds 12.

Oddly, the game does not properly record your errors, which is how I gave up half my hits and runs to the Reds.

The control scheme for fielding really is poorly designed.

It also rained off an on the entire game! Kind of cool to see the rain clouds threatening, and then downpours kind of coming in every now and then. I wonder if you can actually have rain delays or games getting called off?

# 39 ComfortablyLomb @ 07/06/11 07:59 PM
I'm kind of assuming the batting difficulty options are similar to in the past. Pitch speed being one variable while the other being the selections of normal or lock-on (1-5) for the cursor. Normal is very, very difficult since there is zero CPU assist getting the bat on the ball squarely.

# 40 jyoung @ 07/06/11 08:03 PM
Yep, the difficulties are extremely customizable.

You should eventually be able to eventually find a setup that works, it's just a matter of tweaking the pitching/hitting settings until you hit that sweet spot.

I may stick with default settings at fast pitch speed for a while and see how I do just because I don't want to change too much right off the bat.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.