Home
MLB Bobblehead Pros News Post

Back at E3, I previewed MLB Bobblehead Pros and pretty much could not say enough nice things about it. Konami's Power Pros baseball franchise is beloved for all the right reasons, and this $10 XBLA arcade game seems to be just another way for more people to experience the franchise.

Many folks may have missed out on the series because it has mostly been known for being released on Nintendo platforms this generation, but it's a simulation baseball series that is hidden under a cartoon-like graphical facade. While this version is not quite as in-depth as some of the earlier retail versions of the game, it seems like there is still local co-op online, an edit player feature (although it seems to be locked when you first play the game), full 162-game season and create-a-team elements as well.

Some members here at Operation Sports have already picked up the title and have some nice things to say about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
And the game is incredibly realistic..I just started a season and the Pirates blasted the Cubs 8-5. The Cubs starting pitching was atrocious, and the they had 2 errors in the field. You can't ask a game to be anymore realistic than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan136
It is looking good, and it feels exactly like Power Pros. It's just as easy to play.
There is a demo for folks to try, and it appears more content will be coming to the game later in the summer. Some of the content coming at a later date includes a home run derby, as well as My Bobble mode, which seems like it will be some sort of career mode where you control one single player for a whole season. I doubt it will be as in depth as "The Life" mode found in other Power Pros games, but it would still be a welcomed addition regardless.

Lastly, while the Xbox Live Arcade version is the only one out right now, it seems like a PS3 version will be coming at a later date.

Game: MLB Bobblehead ProsReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 3 - View All
MLB Bobblehead Pros Videos
Member Comments
# 41 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons2003
Interesting though,,,maybe we can use this feature to edit some players not currently on the team, to players that are? Maybe we can use it to update the rosters?? How many teams can you create? and can you add those created teams to start a season? Or does it not have that much customization?

Haven't really messed around with the game much, just played 4 games.
Yeah, that's what a lot of people did to add on players that weren't in the game in the previous versions.. Edit an existing player into a non-existent player.
That's the quickest way to update rosters. You can create up to 32 teams.
In MLB Power Pros 2008, you could replace the existing teams with created teams (I.E. The updated team), in essence re-creating the league with all updated teams.
I don't know if they'll allow you to do that this year, and I'm still not sure how/when we'll be able to unlock the "Edit Player" option.

# 42 ComfortablyLomb @ 07/06/11 08:06 PM
A new gameplay video on Youtube:

Yes, Lincecum's curve is filthy. Not sure why the guy playing the game was avoiding it.

Link http://youtu.be/xnyHXZVULfQ

Edit - Stupid code!

# 43 falcons2003 @ 07/06/11 08:18 PM
Quote:
Yeah, that's what a lot of people did to add on players that weren't in the game in the previous versions.. Edit an existing player into a non-existent player.
That's the quickest way to update rosters. You can create up to 32 teams.
In MLB Power Pros 2008, you could replace the existing teams with created teams (I.E. The updated team), in essence re-creating the league with all updated teams.
I don't know if they'll allow you to do that this year, and I'm still not sure how/when we'll be able to unlock the "Edit Player" option.
Exactly. That was the round about way to get rosters updated and team arrange mode, or something like that. But that was what allowed us to update the rosters. Looks like it's similiar which is a huge plus if you are a roster freak and want to be able to make up to date rosters.

Yeah that EDIT PLAYER mode needs to be unlocked so we can do that.

# 44 falcons2003 @ 07/06/11 08:20 PM
Wonder if the corner outfields can throw the ball in the stands on the 3rd out?

# 45 thaSLAB @ 07/06/11 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
A new gameplay video on Youtube:

Yes, Lincecum's curve is filthy. Not sure why the guy playing the game was avoiding it.

Link http://youtu.be/xnyHXZVULfQ

Edit - Stupid code!
LOL, I don't think he even understands that he has to move the cursor when batting

The game looks very fun tho, and definitely has elements of PP in it. I'll be getting this for sure, even tho I still have PP2008... I'm thinking the edit team/player will be like it was in PP.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 46 jyoung @ 07/06/11 08:31 PM
Second game in a row where my relief pitcher has gone yard lol

Must have given this guy some "cream and clear" to get him off the disabled list and back in the lineup.

# 47 falcons2003 @ 07/06/11 09:27 PM
"turning point" showdowns,,,,interersting,,,what do you guys think?

# 48 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 09:31 PM
Quote:
"turning point" showdowns,,,,interersting,,,what do you guys think?
I like it. It kind of makes up for players not having abilities, or at least not noticeable ones, that affect the game.

# 49 falcons2003 @ 07/06/11 09:39 PM
Quote:
I like it. It kind of makes up for players not having abilities, or at least not noticeable ones, that affect the game.
Right, but I do see cursors get smaller after 2 strikes or a swing and miss.

What is killing me right now is the bloop singles and the soft singles,,,,just killing me!

# 50 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 09:52 PM
Quote:
Right, but I do see cursors get smaller after 2 strikes or a swing and miss.

What is killing me right now is the bloop singles and the soft singles,,,,just killing me!
I guess I didn't see that.
I'm having trouble with the fielding.. My players are just standing there and letting the ball pass by them..
It's frustrating..

# 51 jyoung @ 07/06/11 09:56 PM
Yep, if the fielding controls were better, I could cut down my runs allowed by half right now. At least half the bases I allow are on errors.

Changing the pitch speed to fast really seems to be the answer to the home run problem.

The last three games I played have only had 2 to 3 home runs max. I think I hit my sweet spot as far as tuning the offensive side of the game goes.

Now if only I could start getting the CPU to chase some balls out of the strike zone when I'm pitching. They seem to have an eagle eye at the plate.

# 52 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Yep, if the fielding controls were better, I could cut down my runs allowed by half right now. At least half the bases I allow are on errors.

Changing the pitch speed to fast really seems to be the answer to the home run problem.

The last three games I played have only had 2 to 3 home runs max. I think I hit my sweet spot as far as tuning the offensive side of the game goes.

Now if only I could start getting the CPU to chase some balls out of the strike zone when I'm pitching. They seem to have an eagle eye at the plate.
The fielding has been a kryptonite for me, and it's the main reason the CPU has been scoring so many runs..
The majority of the strikes I have thrown are on curves that drop into the dirt for called strikes..

# 53 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 10:28 PM
Quote:
The fielding has been a kryptonite for me, and it's the main reason the CPU has been scoring so many runs..
After getting my settings where I wanted, the fielding got better. We'll see if it messes up again or not.

# 54 falcons2003 @ 07/06/11 10:36 PM
Quote:
After getting my settings where I wanted, the fielding got better. We'll see if it messes up again or not.
Which settings are you using?

I'm just going with default right now.

Fielding is a tough, but I've gotten alot better already. I gotta go strictly manual.

# 55 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 10:37 PM
Quote:
Problem solved. The fielding is fine now for me..
Weird thing is, I'm pretty sure I had the fielding on semi-auto every game I've played so far, so I don't know why I'm not having a problem now..

# 56 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 10:56 PM
Quote:
Which settings are you using?

I'm just going with default right now.

Fielding is a tough, but I've gotten alot better already. I gotta go strictly manual.
Semi-auto. I'm not sure if it was set in the games I played, but that was the setting I ment to use.
Maybe I was just pitching bad?

# 57 Blzer @ 07/06/11 11:00 PM
Is there a way to turn off the pitching ball cursor? By that I mean, the one where you're batting and you see the ball coming in from the pitcher, or at least their intended target. You could turn it off in Power Pros, and it obviously would be a fantastic thing to be able and turn off this time around.

I can tell there are different difficulties that will make it zig-zag all over the place more frantically until the ball is pitched, but I'm looking for something that will hide that completely.

# 58 jyoung @ 07/06/11 11:38 PM
Corey Hart is such a beast! 8 home runs in 5 games.

The long ball shenanigans seem to have been toned down from everyone else on my team since I switched to fast pitching. He's the only one that's still consistently going yard.

I checked Hart's power rating and it is an "A" rating, at 186 points. So I guess that's why he's hitting so many bombs for me. Too bad Milwaukee's pitching is garbage besides Grienke. I'm giving up 12 runs a game on average. Just got rocked for 22 runs against Atlanta lol

# 59 falcons2003 @ 07/06/11 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Is there a way to turn off the pitching ball cursor? By that I mean, the one where you're batting and you see the ball coming in from the pitcher, or at least their intended target. You could turn it off in Power Pros, and it obviously would be a fantastic thing to be able and turn off this time around.

I can tell there are different difficulties that will make it zig-zag all over the place more frantically until the ball is pitched, but I'm looking for something that will hide that completely.
Yeah you can turn the zig zagging off. What I think you mean is if the CPU is going with the curveball it shows you starting high then goes down? It was driving me crazy, making it harder to hit.

If that's what you mean,,here is what I did:

In exhibition mode,,,where you see "starting Lineups",,,in the middle,,,choose "controller setup". Go to the cpu controlled team,,,select make changes,,,,look under "defense",,,and set the pitching cursor to "off". I think that should do it. I think the game even saves it for you as well. Try that,,,see if that's what you are talking about.

# 60 falcons2003 @ 07/06/11 11:53 PM
Quote:
Semi-auto. I'm not sure if it was set in the games I played, but that was the setting I ment to use.
Maybe I was just pitching bad?
I'm gonna try to hang in there with manual. I'm starting to get better. It's tough because it's real sensitive. But on the other hand we are used to the fielding vaccums of current gen baseball games. Really all you have to do is get your fielder close, and it goes into a fielding animation on all the current baseball games. PowerPros isn't that forgiving. Its a challenge,,,I like it. Old school RBI Baseball style!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.