Home
MLB Bobblehead Pros News Post

Back at E3, I previewed MLB Bobblehead Pros and pretty much could not say enough nice things about it. Konami's Power Pros baseball franchise is beloved for all the right reasons, and this $10 XBLA arcade game seems to be just another way for more people to experience the franchise.

Many folks may have missed out on the series because it has mostly been known for being released on Nintendo platforms this generation, but it's a simulation baseball series that is hidden under a cartoon-like graphical facade. While this version is not quite as in-depth as some of the earlier retail versions of the game, it seems like there is still local co-op online, an edit player feature (although it seems to be locked when you first play the game), full 162-game season and create-a-team elements as well.

Some members here at Operation Sports have already picked up the title and have some nice things to say about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
And the game is incredibly realistic..I just started a season and the Pirates blasted the Cubs 8-5. The Cubs starting pitching was atrocious, and the they had 2 errors in the field. You can't ask a game to be anymore realistic than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan136
It is looking good, and it feels exactly like Power Pros. It's just as easy to play.
There is a demo for folks to try, and it appears more content will be coming to the game later in the summer. Some of the content coming at a later date includes a home run derby, as well as My Bobble mode, which seems like it will be some sort of career mode where you control one single player for a whole season. I doubt it will be as in depth as "The Life" mode found in other Power Pros games, but it would still be a welcomed addition regardless.

Lastly, while the Xbox Live Arcade version is the only one out right now, it seems like a PS3 version will be coming at a later date.

Game: MLB Bobblehead ProsReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 3 - View All
MLB Bobblehead Pros Videos
Member Comments
# 161 philliesfan136 @ 07/09/11 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
This game is so bitter sweet for me. For $10, I can't think of a better sports game value out there. I've always liked the PowerPros gameplay. But I can't help but wonder how awesome a full-fledged release would be on a next gen console, with MLB players and a fleshed out, more interactive "Life" mode and more modern GM mode.

Still, best $10 I've spent in a while.
There are MLB players. And this isn't the full game yet. There's going to be a few more packs of downloadable content that will include "My Bobble" (I.E. My Life Mode) and Home Run Derby as well as the ability to edit players. I'm also pretty disappointed that there isn't more GM-like depth, particularly to season mode, like there was with MLB Power Pros, but it's good enough for this price.

# 162 jyoung @ 07/09/11 09:40 PM
Some more online notes:

-- Players can quit on you before you break the 10-run mercy rule and there's no consequences, because you don't get credit for a win, and they don't get credit for a loss.

The last two dudes who quit on me were from Detroit.

-- The game randomizes your players' statuses before each online outing.

Also, here's a list of the top power hitters in the game:

Jose Bautista - 235 power
Jim Thome - 218 power
Miguel Cabrera - 211 power
Albert Pujos - 207 power
Joey Votto - 203 Power
Paul Konerko - 203 power
Josh Hamilton - 202 Power
Adam Dunn - 201 power

lol Jim Thome, second most-feared power hitter in the league? Did this game ship with decade-old rosters or something?

For laughs, the worst-rated starter in the game is Braves shortstop, Brandon Hicks, with a swing rated at 1 contact and 50 power.

# 163 jyoung @ 07/09/11 10:10 PM
Quote:
I'm also pretty disappointed that there isn't more GM-like depth, particularly to season mode, like there was with MLB Power Pros, but it's good enough for this price.
Season mode is kind of bare.

+
You can level up your players
There are tons of stats to track and season awards to go after

-
You can't make any trades
There are no minor league teams
There is no draft
You can't have injuries last longer than a game
There is no off-season aside from four or five Spring training games

# 164 sroz39 @ 07/09/11 11:29 PM
Quote:
There are MLB players. And this isn't the full game yet. There's going to be a few more packs of downloadable content that will include "My Bobble" (I.E. My Life Mode) and Home Run Derby as well as the ability to edit players. I'm also pretty disappointed that there isn't more GM-like depth, particularly to season mode, like there was with MLB Power Pros, but it's good enough for this price.
Sorry, I should've been more specific. I was referring to the next-gen games on the PS3 in Japan only, where it's the Japanese players.

As for the My Bobble, based on the bare-bones nature of this game, I can't imagine that mode even approaching the depth on the last-gen Life modes on the PS2/Wii. Though I am hopeful.

I'm also hopeful that with enough of this game sold, it would make Konami/2K consider making a full-fledged release.

# 165 falcons2003 @ 07/09/11 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
guys, def bump up base running to all-star and or legend. i have been using legend (bc i use auto base running) and it plays much better. runners actually take an extra base and not as laid back on pro or rookie.

i use auto base running bc that dang view is so small i have a tough time telling whats going on. at times i will use semi auto as well.
I also notifced on LEGEND auto base running for yourself,,,,if you want to steal a base, you can manual steal him, and the CPU lets you send him, which I like. I tried it on the lower levels on auto and you can;t.

# 166 philliesfan136 @ 07/10/11 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
Sorry, I should've been more specific. I was referring to the next-gen games on the PS3 in Japan only, where it's the Japanese players.

As for the My Bobble, based on the bare-bones nature of this game, I can't imagine that mode even approaching the depth on the last-gen Life modes on the PS2/Wii. Though I am hopeful.

I'm also hopeful that with enough of this game sold, it would make Konami/2K consider making a full-fledged release.
Yeah, I hope that those new updates will renew my interest.
It would be great if they made another game.

If there were a new game, were you suggesting you'd want it to come out on XBOX 360/PS3?

# 167 statnut @ 07/10/11 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Jose Bautista - 235 power
Jim Thome - 218 power
Miguel Cabrera - 211 power
Albert Pujos - 207 power
Joey Votto - 203 Power
Paul Konerko - 203 power
Josh Hamilton - 202 Power
Adam Dunn - 201 power

lol Jim Thome, second most-feared power hitter in the league? Did this game ship with decade-old rosters or something?
Actually, Thome's AB to HR ratio was only slighly higher than Bautista's last year, and would have been second in the AL had he qualified. This year he'd be in the Top 10 if he qualified. It's not actually ludicrous.

# 168 sroz39 @ 07/10/11 02:12 AM
Quote:

If there were a new game, were you suggesting you'd want it to come out on XBOX 360/PS3?
Absolutely. And with the cartoony nature of the graphics in this series, they look of the game wouldn't have to be much better than it is in the XBLA game we have now. Maybe improve the faces so more players are represented, that's about it. I'd be more interested to see what they could do with a truly next-gen Life mode. I think it'd be like nothing else out there.

Still, at the end of the day, I'm really enjoying this game. Finding a sweet spot for me as far as difficulty goes too. Getting competitive, low-scoring games.

# 169 duke776 @ 07/10/11 08:15 AM
Quote:

I would cry if they released a regular updated full mlb power pros on one of the new systems. Heck, I'd even go out and get a ps3 if that was all it was for. I absolutely love the series. Although I am not a fan of the bobbleheads, and limited nature of the game at this point (although when it expands I'll surely give it a longer look). I'm just going to continue to enjoy MLB PP 2008, got so many hours in that game.

Glad to see there's a lot of positive reviews about this game, it was always really good (IMO) but it seems like more people are experiencing it now. There's plenty of fun to be had with this series.

# 170 Fiddy @ 07/10/11 08:32 AM
i had to bump the cpu batting level up to Pro, they were not producing on the 2 levels below.

first 2 games after the bump, they were up 4-2 in btm of 8th, i hit a 3 run homer with 2 outs to take a 5-4 lead and hold on. next game i lost 8-0 lol.

i been using the below..

CPU Batting - Pro
CPU Base running - Legend (maybe a bit to aggressive at times, i may try all star)
CPU Pitching - Legend (i dont notice a difference from say pro/allstar to this level)
CPU Fielding - Legend (this may get bumped to all star bc seems like they cut balls off that they shouldnt in the gaps etc)

i also been using the "low assist" batting for myself and normal pitch speed. seems like combined with the legend pitching, normal is just fine. although if you are using anything below that, then fast pitch is needed IMO.

# 171 jyoung @ 07/10/11 12:32 PM
Go to the options screen on the main menu to turn off the bobble effect.

I'm definitely going to up the CPU batting to pro now that I've got my pitching down pretty solid. The CPU hasn't scored more than 3 runs on me in a while.

# 172 Fiddy @ 07/10/11 01:12 PM
it gets frustrating at times with the CPU on Pro batting, just seems they find the holes automatically at times.. i may need to bring in a new pitcher earlier as well, so some of that could be blamed on me.

# 173 jyoung @ 07/10/11 04:47 PM
I'm getting some pretty good games on "Pro" CPU hitting.

Just lost 6 - 5 to the Astros.

I had plenty of opportunities to knock in the tying run a few times but choked with runners in scoring position during "key moment" cut-scenes.

I've played long enough into season mode now where some of my players are finally starting to level up. That's really all there is to shoot for in this mode aside from stats.

# 174 Kane182 @ 07/10/11 05:05 PM
Are there any kind of retirements at the end of the season or a draft? Seems kind of weird that guys could keep leveling up without any new talent coming in. Then again, if season mode is only 5 seasons it doesn't really matter much I suppose.

# 175 philliesfan136 @ 07/10/11 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane182
Are there any kind of retirements at the end of the season or a draft? Seems kind of weird that guys could keep leveling up without any new talent coming in. Then again, if season mode is only 5 seasons it doesn't really matter much I suppose.
There's no trades, no AAA, no draft.
I'm not sure there's retirements either.
Where did you hear that season mode is only 5 years?
There is an achievement that says "Play 5 years in season mode".

# 176 jyoung @ 07/10/11 06:27 PM
I'm pretty sure season mode goes on infinitely. But I don't have the patience to sit there and sim through to find out. Maybe someone else can test the limit.

It takes forever for your players to level up, anyway. Your guys won't be growing into unstoppable hulks after a season or two or anything like that.

# 177 maddcatt @ 07/10/11 08:36 PM
Does this game have a 2 player mode where you can play offline against a buddy head to head ?

Thank You

# 178 jyoung @ 07/10/11 08:41 PM
Yes it does. Head to head play is where this game shines. I highly recommend it if you have a friend to play against.

# 179 maddcatt @ 07/10/11 08:44 PM
Thank you wEEman33 ..i'll giv it a whirl then

# 180 Kane182 @ 07/10/11 08:58 PM
Quote:
There's no trades, no AAA, no draft.
I'm not sure there's retirements either.
Where did you hear that season mode is only 5 years?
There is an achievement that says "Play 5 years in season mode".
I just assumed since it was an achievement that 5 seasons was the max. Could be wrong.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.