Home
NHL 12 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ChaseB @ 07/10/11 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Yeah I agree it did stem from a good scoring chance but it still doesn't convince me that the cheese slappers and loaded wristers are gone. Also the AI self-pinning is still there..
Yep, the self-pinning looks silly -- I would agree with that.

As someone who has played the game twice now, I think you'll be impressed by goal variety that's present here. I wouldn't be ready to say certain "money" goals are gone, but I think part of the reason "money" goals are so present is because goal variety is hard to come by in the game. If you provide more ways to score, you get more ways to play. Cheesers will cheese, but that's not really something that is curable on every level.

# 22 jyoung @ 07/10/11 09:41 PM
This series needs competition badly.

It's been on cruise-control since 2K stopped putting out games on the 360/PS3.

Icebreaker, where are you?

# 23 mike24forever @ 07/10/11 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33

Typical rhetoric! EA had competition, 2K unfortunately walked away from hockey title on the 360/PS3. If Icebreaker is going to be your dark horse in the race, you are going to keep losing like my Maple Leafs! You need to stop playing EA sport titles, because all you do is troll about them.

# 24 ChaseB @ 07/10/11 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33

Where's my face palm emoticon?

You have a tired act when it comes to certain things Jayson. However, I do think your love for anything NaturalMotion is adorable right now. I just wish you wouldn't run towards the same couple of bullet points all the time.

# 25 tyler289 @ 07/10/11 10:22 PM
I do get a kick how they tell us there are "new desperation saves," when it's really the same animation that I wish they would get rid off (because they've tuned it to happen in all the wrong times).

Chase/anyone, are there actually a lot of new save animations, or is it mostly the same? I'm skeptical, but hope I'm wrong.

# 26 ChaseB @ 07/10/11 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
I do get a kick how they tell us there are "new desperation saves," when it's really the same animation that I wish they would get rid off (because they've tuned it to happen in all the wrong times).

Chase/anyone, are there actually a lot of new save animations, or is it mostly the same? I'm skeptical, but hope I'm wrong.
I've been a bit perplexed by that as well. I guess some of the old saves are new because of the way they can be in one animation and then be hit into a different one. There are certainly new animations, and the way animations tie together is better, but it's still a bit baffling in terms of what they've selected to be shown in screens and short videos.

As for your last point, it's another one of those things I don't want to say is gone, but I haven't seen the split-legged-cross-crease-for-no-reason animation in the five or so games I've played.

# 27 ezio @ 07/10/11 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Hmm the AI D still looked really passive and dumping the puck till seems pointless IMO...
I thought the same thing when I was watching the videos.

# 28 ChaseB @ 07/10/11 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezio
I thought the same thing when I was watching the videos.
The puck's a little more on edge/bouncy on the dumps behind the net, which causes a few more pileups behind the net. Not sure if that is what folks want or not.

As for defense, there are penalty kills going on in both the videos, which might tie into the passive nature -- the first Detroit scoring chance makes the D look bad though regardless. Also, I played it on what will be the default online settings, but the demo itself is set below that -- doubt many other folks changed the level and game style like me. That may also affect some stuff.

# 29 BlueNGold @ 07/11/11 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalsanto0026
My thoughts exactly.

This game looks and sounds stale, for heavens sake is it too much to ask for new stat overlays and commentary that's closer to what we see on tv?

You'd be forgiven for thinking this was gameplay footage of NHL09.
Yeah, except NHL 09 didn't have physics, live goalies, improved faceoffs, better skating, board play, improved AI, improved Be A GM, an improved sim engine, an improved Be A Pro, post-whistle scrums, a better passing system, broken sticks, a better deking system, disallowed goals, user-controlled celebrations, HUT, intimidation, real life prospects from the CHL, better playoff atmosphere.....

I can keep going if you want, but then again why should I when some of you just want to say stupid things for the sake of saying them?

I get that the presentation and commentary still don't look that improved and yeah, I want it improved as well, but I'm not going to go around saying the game looks like NHL 09 just to get attention. That's ridiculous. Same goes for the "they've been on cruise control since 2K left" BS. Yeah, they've listened to just about everything we've asked for and tried to get it in the game, but instead let's go talk **** about them because that's the cool thing to do! That makes so much sense.

# 30 SinisterAlex @ 07/11/11 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB

Where's my face palm emoticon?
Here ya go:

Spoiler

# 31 BlueNGold @ 07/11/11 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalsanto0026
The only one saying stupid things here kiddo is you because you failed miserably to grasp what I was getting at in my post. It should've been blatantly obvious that I was referring to the look of the game ie the presentation and graphics, where did I say anything about gameplay improvements? And how in the world did you manage to interpret my post as trying to get attention?

Think before you post in future.
Whatever you say, "kiddo". Kinda hard to interpret it that way when you say this:

Quote:
You'd be forgiven for thinking this was gameplay footage of NHL09.

# 32 Money99 @ 07/11/11 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
Agreed. Watch the first few seconds of that second vid. Three Hawk players, all within 10-15 feet of the puck carrier, and all of them peel off and skate away from the action. Seabrook (7) is 1-2 feet away from the puck carrier. He could sneeze and knock the puck off his stick. Yet he turns and simply skates away from him. Meanwhile Keith (2) to the right of the goalie skates away from the two guys in the right circle, leaving them wide open. Plus he parks himself in front of his keeper and screens him completely. Really bad. And not due to penalty kill A.I. either, as the Hawks have 5 skaters on the ice.
I really don't mind dumb AI if it's on a lower setting.
The AI should get smarter as you move up in difficulty.

But I hope these same brain-lapses by the CPU don't occur as often on the tougher difficulty settings.

# 33 ezio @ 07/11/11 11:18 AM
Quote:
The puck's a little more on edge/bouncy on the dumps behind the net, which causes a few more pileups behind the net. Not sure if that is what folks want or not.

As for defense, there are penalty kills going on in both the videos, which might tie into the passive nature -- the first Detroit scoring chance makes the D look bad though regardless. Also, I played it on what will be the default online settings, but the demo itself is set below that -- doubt many other folks changed the level and game style like me. That may also affect some stuff.
Good point on the fact they are both Penalty Kill videos. that could have something to do with it.

# 34 Qb @ 07/11/11 11:37 AM
Hmmm, the CHI/DET video looks different... slower overall speed, particularly with turns as they're in a somewhat wider radius. Maybe different settings from the E3 Winter Classic videos?

# 35 plaidchuck @ 07/11/11 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
Agreed. Watch the first few seconds of that second vid. Three Hawk players, all within 10-15 feet of the puck carrier, and all of them peel off and skate away from the action. Seabrook (7) is 1-2 feet away from the puck carrier. He could sneeze and knock the puck off his stick. Yet he turns and simply skates away from him. Meanwhile Keith (2) to the right of the goalie skates away from the two guys in the right circle, leaving them wide open. Plus he parks himself in front of his keeper and screens him completely. Really bad. And not due to penalty kill A.I. either, as the Hawks have 5 skaters on the ice.
Yeah good observations. As someone else has mentioned, I have accepted the fact that the game will continue to be mainly a north-south tape-to-tape pass game with little emphasis on defense(just look at how limited the defensive controls are). Which is fine, as long as they keep improving other parts of the game.

It would just be nice if there was a middle of the ground mode instead of simply AI god mode(superstar) and AI idiot mode (every other level). Programming in some standard set hockey plays a la 2k10 would at least be a step up, at least you would know what your D would do every time instead of wandering off leaving the slot wide open.

oh BTW: In my original post I was talking about the gameplay vids from the winter classic.

# 36 plaidchuck @ 07/11/11 11:51 AM
Okay, I just watched the CHI-DET video and I think it's even worse than the winter classic one... wow... So they've been worried about having goalie injuries in-game but now you can belly flop into them and then have a seizure on the ice? The AI was an absolute wreck with the D randomly skating around circles in the corner on the PK, and the goal was the same ridiculous looking deflection animation through the five hole.. wow this definitely wasn't a very flattering video to put up for the game, at least they're being honest though.

# 37 ChaseB @ 07/11/11 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Hmmm, the CHI/DET video looks different... slower overall speed, particularly with turns as they're in a somewhat wider radius. Maybe different settings from the E3 Winter Classic videos?
I felt like the game was slower, but the fast guys stood out more if that makes sense.

# 38 Qb @ 07/11/11 12:34 PM
Quote:
I felt like the game was slower, but the fast guys stood out more if that makes sense.
Yes, that makes sense. And I'm surprised you're still talking to me.

# 39 DJ @ 07/11/11 01:48 PM
I try not to read too much into these videos because I have no idea what the game settings are and who is actually playing the game.

I'd love to see some CPU vs. CPU videos set on All-Star or Superstar difficulty with Normal or Hardcore settings.

# 40 Vikes1 @ 07/11/11 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie Vachon
I hope they haven`t turned all the goalies into flopper Thomas just to show off desperation saves.
Or like Timmy...they come out to the bottom of the face-off circles to cut off angles! Man...I loved watching Tim Thomas throughout the playoffs. But damn...he'd about give me a heart attack twice a period!

But seriously...yeah, I too am hoping the desperation saves are done within reason. It'll be a great addition, if done well.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.