Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

If you like Hip-Hop be sure to give this a watch and let Star Mike know what you think by commenting on his video (or this post). He's young, fresh, and his song's pretty darned good. What say you 2K? Are you going to give a kid a chance at his dream? Here's to hoping!

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 rockchisler @ 07/21/11 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I respect your feelings but I think it's a narrow frame of mind to believe hip-hop is the only type of music to apply to basketball (well, you didn't say "only" but that seemed to be the general thesis). It is my belief that many people take the music they personally like and say, "that's basketball music". For instance, while again I respect your tastes, I wouldn't want to be within 100 feet of the "Forever" or "Kobe" songs while playing or watching basketball.

I do not resist the interweaving of basketball and hip-hop (because a lot of it works for me) but I hardly believe this is the only type of music to represent the game. And this is not just aimed at you, Andrew. It's more in regards to the folks who always seem to assume it's a foregone conclusion that hip-hop and jazz are the only two genres that could possibly apply to the game "because it's so smooth and full of improvisation." As it happens, there is a lot of rock that I feel represents the game well because I also feel the game is made up of high speed decisions and maneuvers with high powered meetings at the rim.

And I guess truthfully, in regards to 2K, I'm not even sure I have to associate the music with basketball. If I have the game in, that means I'm already prepared to play some hoops. I don't need to be motivated by a soundtrack. Rather, I'd just want the menu music to be listenable. And therein lies the problem I suppose, because everyone's musical tastes happen to be so terribly varied.

For me, the pop rap (Drake, Artest, etc.) gets the immediate chop in my 2K games and I try to just make sense of whatever remains. I've been lucky in that 2K has seemed to be able to pique my musical interest on a number of occasions, introducing me to artists throughout the years that I still listen to today (Little Brother, RJD2). Last year alone (2K10), I very much enjoyed Matisyahu, Miike Snow, Ratatat, and MGMT. It made playing 2K without my ipod on very manageable. So with that, I hope their soundtracks continue to hit varied genres with interesting music.
I hear ya but lets see that fly with NHL Hockey.. Love to here Atmosphere or Royce da 5'9, Never gonna happen. Hip Hop and basketball is a culture together and to not have at least 80 % hip hop and 20 % other is irresponsible, Dont get me wrong I understand why they did it but I'm not feeling it.

# 22 bSmooth @ 07/21/11 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
Thank you, "Some people" just dont understand hip hop and bball go together more then indie music, not that the music was bad on 2k11, its not appropriate for basketball...
Quote:
I hear ya but lets see that fly with NHL Hockey.. Love to here Atmosphere or Royce da 5'9, Never gonna happen. Hip Hop and basketball is a culture together and to not have at least 80 % hip hop and 20 % other is irresponsible, Dont get me wrong I understand why they did it but I'm not feeling it.
See that's the thing though, this is your opinion and what you like. You're failing to recognize the fact that other people share different opinions than you. There are two sides to every coin, don't be so narrow minded.

# 23 VDusen04 @ 07/21/11 02:26 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I like a small amount of Royce da 5'9'' but I don't think I'd want his music on my hockey or basketball games. And I personally wouldn't mind hearing Atmosphere on an NHL game. Not to disagree completely, but I think it'd almost be irresponsible for gaming titles to cater only to sport stereotypes. I don't want to only hear summer pop punk when playing baseball. I don't only want nu-rock when I play hockey and I certainly don't only want to hear Drake and friends when I play basketball.

It's a funny topic of course, because there's no way a game's musical selection will please everyone. I suppose I'm just saying that I disagree that hip-hop has to be the culture of basketball. It's different for everyone. It's actually one of the things I used to love about the Tony Hawk soundtrack: System of a Down, Audio Two, Johnny Cash, Aesop Rock, Public Enemy, Nas, Sublime, Atmosphere, Anthrax. . .it didn't allow itself to be pigeonholed into what the masses perceived skate culture to be. I'm thankful 2K basketball has done the same.

# 24 Tengo Juego @ 07/21/11 03:37 PM
Excellent, quality, effort. Not crazy about the song, but good luck to Star Mike.

# 25 madden316 @ 07/21/11 03:55 PM
I thought it was ok, I like the new artists 2k have each year rather then the mainstream songs you hear 12x a day on the radio.

# 26 ..GameOver.. @ 07/21/11 09:06 PM
Not bad. I think he should get a spot on the soundtrack for sure. Why not?

# 27 KingCarella @ 07/21/11 10:03 PM
this song goes hard

# 28 ghm125 @ 07/22/11 05:43 AM
liked it! loved the stats in begining too!

# 29 moe_42 @ 07/23/11 06:53 PM
Quote:
Slug talks about hockey quite a bit. It's the whole Minnesota thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
It's a funny topic of course, because there's no way a game's musical selection will please everyone. I suppose I'm just saying that I disagree that hip-hop has to be the culture of basketball. It's different for everyone. It's actually one of the things I used to love about the Tony Hawk soundtrack: System of a Down, Audio Two, Johnny Cash, Aesop Rock, Public Enemy, Nas, Sublime, Atmosphere, Anthrax. . .it didn't allow itself to be pigeonholed into what the masses perceived skate culture to be. I'm thankful 2K basketball has done the same.
I don't know if you've played any of the Amped snowboarding games, but they have massive playlists, with every genre imaginable. I'd rather 2k went that route and let us prune them down to what we like.

# 30 VDusen04 @ 07/23/11 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_42
Slug talks about hockey quite a bit. It's the whole Minnesota thing.

I don't know if you've played any of the Amped snowboarding games, but they have massive playlists, with every genre imaginable. I'd rather 2k went that route and let us prune them down to what we like.
I've never played Amped before, but the playlist sounds intriguing.

And I think you make a good point. Offering a wide and eclectic range of music on a lengthy soundtrack does provide the opportunity to appeal to a lot of different musical interests. From there, it's up to the user to remove the songs from the playlist as they see fit. That doesn't guarantee we'll all be happy of course. I could roll with a custom 2K10 soundtrack for the duration of the year, while I wasn't quite as satisfied with 2K11's choices. But the idea is right.

That's why I approve of a mix of music. If it was all pop rap, a very large portion of the playing community would be screwed. If it was all modern rock, or independent stuff, same deal. I've much preferred 2K's take on soundtracks to EA's. . .well, EA's of the mid and early 2000's. I haven't messed with much EA lately so it could have changed.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.