Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Jordan Returns: 2K Sports Announces
Trio of NBA® 2K12 Covers Featuring Three NBA Icons

Michael Jordan, joined by Larry Bird and Magic Johnson,
to grace three unique artistic covers in celebration of NBA legacy

New York, NY – July 21, 2011 – 2K Sports announced today that NBA® 2K12, the next installment of the top-rated and best-selling NBA video game simulation franchise*, will offer three separate covers for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft featuring three of the NBA’s greatest legends of all time, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.

The new stylized NBA 2K12 covers are a unique, one-time departure from the traditional 2K Sports brand artwork, and will spotlight each legendary athlete on his famous team: the Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics, and Los Angeles Lakers. The covers featuring Bird and Johnson will be available at launch in a limited quantity.

A new feat in sports gaming, this three-part collection extends the strong legacy established by NBA 2K11, which has sold-in more than 5 million units worldwide and garnered over 20 video game accolades, including 14 ‘Sports Game of the Year’ honors.

“Bringing Michael Jordan to the virtual hardwood last year was a huge success for NBA 2K11; however, we didn’t want to stop there,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “We’re bringing ‘His Airness’ back to the NBA 2K franchise as part of a multi-year extended partnership, along with two other legendary icons – Larry Bird and Magic Johnson – for a special cover athlete collection representing the NBA’s greatest heroes.”

The unprecedented, stylized artwork covers underscore 2K Sports’ passion for bringing fans authentic NBA basketball across generations, while celebrating the legacy of legendary hoops athletes, past and present.

The cover artwork for NBA 2K12 was created by Adam Larson of Adam&Co. Larson has created dynamic artwork for galleries, magazines and various product advertising campaigns. His work has received numerous honors, including the Kelly Awards, Cannes Lions, Clio Awards, and two primetime Emmy nominations

NBA 2K12 can now be pre-ordered from leading video game retailers nationwide, and will be available on October 4, 2011, for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360, Wii™ system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and Windows PC.

NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 301 jd@os @ 07/23/11 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I don't want rosters with 5 real players and then a bunch of generic ones. I'm talking about COMPLETE roster files for 25-30 years worth of rosters with 12-14 players per. We have these for 2k11 - it's not out of the realm of possibility.

secondly, i am not a fan of pitting a team from 2001 against a team from 1991. i just don't think that's possible. but that's just me...

i'm not sure people understood what i meant so i'll drop this. all i'm saying is that if i'm a CURRENT nba player like derrick rose, dirk nowitzki or kevin durant (to name a few) - i'd be a bit offended that this game, unlike any other current game on the video game market, neglects me for a player who last suited up over a decade ago. i understand more than most here the iconic nature of bird, magic and jordan (i'm 39) but i just don't think it's right. but i'll shut up...
No dude--don't "shut up". You bring up a good point and I said I saw where you were coming from. We just don't see eye to eye, but you are the LAST poster I'd want to see "shut up" and drop a point.

What I meant is that what if they can't get a license for more people past the starting five? We had the Bulls teams do that, but not all historic teams in 2K11 had a real player past the starting 5. I was just saying if they did what they did in 2K11 I wouldn't like it.

Hey--I'm not a fan of pitting today against yesterday either, but that was a selling point 2K did bring up. Add that with the selling point of being able to put '85-'86 Michael Jordan as a rookie (yeah I know that wasn't his rookie year) on a 2010-2011 team which people did.

And if I was Derrick Rose, I'd be honored if 2K chose me as a cover boy, but if they overlooked me for some retired guys in their 40s, I would get over it real quick by reminding myself that I am a MILLIONAIRE!

I didn't mean to shoot your idea down bro. It's just that if you can give me all this in one game, go for it. But like I said when I first responded to you, I do see where you're coming from.

# 302 mkharsh33 @ 07/23/11 07:00 PM
The better bet for 2K would be 3 optional covers:

Jordan in the background with Rose in the foreground

Bird in the background with Pierce in the foreground

Magic in the background with Kobe in the foreground

Come up with some slogan like "Old School to New School" or something like this. I really, really wonder, though, if this lockout has played into their decision making. This does offer them an opportunity to deflect the attention away (because I've posted in the other section here that I do NOT see a 2011-2012 season at all).

# 303 cjallure24 @ 07/23/11 08:06 PM
Pastapadre is reporting that specific covers can not be pre-ordered.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/07/23...-be-preordered

# 304 NDAlum @ 07/23/11 08:34 PM
Larry Bird baby!

# 305 VDusen04 @ 07/23/11 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd@os
And if I was Derrick Rose, I'd be honored if 2K chose me as a cover boy, but if they overlooked me for some retired guys in their 40s, I would get over it real quick by reminding myself that I am a MILLIONAIRE!
I'm with you there. I mean, if 2K decided to go with Stephon Marbury eating a swab of Vaseline for the cover of 2K12, I might be able to imagine a current star getting a little twisty-faced. But these three are not just random players from yesteryear. And, as much as we want to imagine current players being self-absorbed with no idea of who came before them (let alone giving them respect), I think that is off-base. They know these guys. I don't think there's any way they could be salty at MJ, Larry, and Magic being on the cover of a video game instead of them.

I like the covers just about as they are, three all-time greats gracing the front of an excellent basketball video game. Sure, like others have said, I wouldn't have been mad if they color-coordinated Magic and Larry's covers too, and I wouldn't have minded seeing all three on the same cover, but that's really such a small point. A cover is a cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjallure24

I'm on standby in that regard. Maybe I misunderstood, but I swear I heard the initial shipment of 2K will be shipped evenly among the greats (1/3 Magic, 1/3 Larry, 1/3 Michael). And while maybe that would guarantee the cover of one's choice for preorder, it would seem to keep the door open for making a choice upon pickup (though I guess that wouldn't account for those who pickup). I think the Ronnie fellow said that kind of stuff would be cleared up for the consumer soon.

Quote:
Come up with some slogan like "Old School to New School" or something like this. I really, really wonder, though, if this lockout has played into their decision making. This does offer them an opportunity to deflect the attention away (because I've posted in the other section here that I do NOT see a 2011-2012 season at all).
I was wondering the same thing. I'm totally and completely unfamiliar with how a process like this works, so I have no idea how far in advanced of the game's release they decide on their cover art. There's been rumblings of a lockout coming down the pipe since at least the beginning of last season, so it could have just been a really heads up play by 2K. Or, as the immortal Bob Ross might say, it could have just been a "happy accident." Either way, I'm on board.

# 306 rspencer86 @ 07/23/11 09:20 PM
That combination cover that Matt posted is sick. Well done.

# 307 Da_Czar @ 07/23/11 10:17 PM
Quote:
I don't want rosters with 5 real players and then a bunch of generic ones. I'm talking about COMPLETE roster files for 25-30 years worth of rosters with 12-14 players per. We have these for 2k11 - it's not out of the realm of possibility.
When you have to secure rights for each player individually that is not apart of the players association and negotiate a price to PAY them. Yes it is well outside the realm of possibility. LOL its not easy fam. There is no retired persons phone directory or some type 3rd party bargaining system where you can show someone they are not worth as much as they think.

It takes a ton of work and some people just flat out want too much money to get everybody in the game.

# 308 sportjames23 @ 07/23/11 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadsas
Thing is, NBA was much better back then, unlike NFL or NHL

I'd have to say the NFL and NHL were much better back then, too.

# 309 sportjames23 @ 07/23/11 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjallure24

Hmm...I went to Gamestop today to preorder my copy and told the guy I wanted the 360 version with Jordan on the cover and he didn't say I couldn't reserve that specific cover.

# 310 KyotoCarl @ 07/23/11 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjames23
Hmm...I went to Gamestop today to preorder my copy and told the guy I wanted the 360 version with Jordan on the cover and he didn't say I couldn't reserve that specific cover.
I don't think the people at gamestop has got all the information regarding that yet. At the same time, He didn't guarantee you would get the Jordan one right? Don't count on it.

# 311 CuseGirl @ 07/23/11 10:32 PM
::sigh:: we can't ever do anything basketball related without talking about Jordan huh......

# 312 23 @ 07/23/11 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
When you have to secure rights for each player individually that is not apart of the players association and negotiate a price to PAY them. Yes it is well outside the realm of possibility. LOL its not easy fam. There is no retired persons phone directory or some type 3rd party bargaining system where you can show someone they are not worth as much as they think.

It takes a ton of work and some people just flat out want too much money to get everybody in the game.

I do understand that, and frankly, If we could just get a grand editing tool... the PC guys have it... we'd be all set

That said, LOL@ someone thinking an nba player is mad because they arent on the cover of a video game man

C'mon son!!!

# 313 jd@os @ 07/23/11 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
I don't think the people at gamestop has got all the information regarding that yet. At the same time, He didn't guarantee you would get the Jordan one right? Don't count on it.
I think you can count on getting the Jordan one. The way I take it, the Jordan cover will be in an abundant supply so there's nothing to worry about. I don't think it's shipping 1/3 Mike, 1/3, Magic, and 1/3 Larry; how could it, if the Magic and Bird covers are the ones releasing in limited supply? I'm just making up numbers here, but this is what it seems like your local Gamestop will be getting:

Jordan cover: 200 copies
Magic cover: 50 copies
Bird cover: 50 copies

Again, just made those numbers up, but I wanted to illustrate what I thought--that you actually can count on getting the Jordan cover. It's in LA and Boston where I think you may need to worry about the cover you get. I see you pre-ordering the game, then on pick-up you tell 'em which one you want--if you say MJ, I don't think you got anything to worry about.

# 314 jd@os @ 07/23/11 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuseGirl
::sigh:: we can't ever do anything basketball related without talking about Jordan huh......
...except posting in a thread without Jordan in the title right?

# 315 KyotoCarl @ 07/23/11 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I do understand that, and frankly, If we could just get a grand editing tool... the PC guys have it... we'd be all set
That tool was created by a 3rd party from figuring out how the files work on the PC. It's a much harder task doing something like that for a console. It's not like 2K gave the PC people an editor to work with, they developed it (them) for themselves.

# 316 VDusen04 @ 07/23/11 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd@os
I think you can count on getting the Jordan one. The way I take it, the Jordan cover will be in an abundant supply so there's nothing to worry about. I don't think it's shipping 1/3 Mike, 1/3, Magic, and 1/3 Larry; how could it, if the Magic and Bird covers are the ones releasing in limited supply? I'm just making up numbers here, but this is what it seems like your local Gamestop will be getting:

Jordan cover: 200 copies
Magic cover: 50 copies
Bird cover: 50 copies

Again, just made those numbers up, but I wanted to illustrate what I thought--that you actually can count on getting the Jordan cover. It's in LA and Boston where I think you may need to worry about the cover you get. I see you pre-ordering the game, then on pick-up you tell 'em which one you want--if you say MJ, I don't think you got anything to worry about.
I think we're on just slightly differently wavelengths (but mostly on the same wavelength). Small deal, but according to reports, I'm saying there's going to be even distribution along with the first shipment. So initially, I believe, in your example, on first shipment, I interpreted it looking like this:

Jordan: 100
Magic: 100
Larry: 100

I could be wrong, but I read it on a couple of different sources. After that first shipment, it's all Jordan, as we're led to believe. You're right though, he'll have no problem securing an MJ one way or another.

Here is a quote from an article (Gamespot):

Quote:
While the three athletes' have their own diehard fanbases in Los Angeles, Boston, and Chicago, the covers will not be region-specific. With equal versions of all three covers set to be available throughout all of North America, East Coast gamers might be stuck with a copy of the game featuring Magic Johnson, while b-ball fans in California may only find copies of Larry Bird available on store shelves.

Initial runs of the game will feature an equal balance among the three former superstars, but Michael Jordan's cover is the de facto version; additional shipments will only feature his cover.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/n...son-larry-bird

I was a little confused by that first paragraph though. It says they'll be distributed evenly, not region specific, but then says one region may be stuck with one cover and another region with another.

# 317 jd@os @ 07/23/11 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I think we're on just slightly differently wavelengths (but mostly on the same wavelength). Small deal, but according to reports, I'm saying there's going to be even distribution along with the first shipment. So initially, I believe, in your example, on first shipment, I interpreted it looking like this:

I could be wrong, but I read it on a couple of different sources. After that first shipment, it's all Jordan, as we're led to believe. You're right though, he'll have no problem securing an MJ one way or another.

I was a little confused by that first paragraph though. It says they'll be distributed evenly, not region specific, but then says one region may be stuck with one cover and another region with another.
Very informative--thanks bro. Yeah, I think that guy can count on getting his Jordan cover. But can you imagine living in LA (for example) and not being able to secure a Magic cover if he was your favorite player? Man that would suck. So if what you posted is true about even numbers on initial shipment, that's probably good news for people wanting any of the two alternate covers.

Good find.

# 318 mkharsh33 @ 07/23/11 11:58 PM
Well, what are the odds that 2K's site will allow for a possible download of any cover you want??? I have to laugh...all this commotion over cover art, that many of us end up getting a different one made anyway.

I'm going to use this cover for my 2K11 game anyway (yeah, the year is wrong but who cares).

# 319 DJ @ 07/24/11 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04

Edit: Nevermind. I was saying something about pre-ordering, but it appears that we cannot (as of yet) select which cover we want if we pre-order. Hopefully we'll get confirmation on this soon, as I want to make sure I wind up with a Magic cover.

# 320 DJ @ 07/24/11 12:40 AM
Quote:
Well, what are the odds that 2K's site will allow for a possible download of any cover you want??? I have to laugh...all this commotion over cover art, that many of us end up getting a different one made anyway.

I'm going to use this cover for my 2K11 game anyway (yeah, the year is wrong but who cares).

Almost looks like Bird is holding that cane, which would be fitting

So, MK, are you sticking with 2K11 this year?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.