Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Jordan Returns: 2K Sports Announces
Trio of NBA® 2K12 Covers Featuring Three NBA Icons

Michael Jordan, joined by Larry Bird and Magic Johnson,
to grace three unique artistic covers in celebration of NBA legacy

New York, NY – July 21, 2011 – 2K Sports announced today that NBA® 2K12, the next installment of the top-rated and best-selling NBA video game simulation franchise*, will offer three separate covers for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft featuring three of the NBA’s greatest legends of all time, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.

The new stylized NBA 2K12 covers are a unique, one-time departure from the traditional 2K Sports brand artwork, and will spotlight each legendary athlete on his famous team: the Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics, and Los Angeles Lakers. The covers featuring Bird and Johnson will be available at launch in a limited quantity.

A new feat in sports gaming, this three-part collection extends the strong legacy established by NBA 2K11, which has sold-in more than 5 million units worldwide and garnered over 20 video game accolades, including 14 ‘Sports Game of the Year’ honors.

“Bringing Michael Jordan to the virtual hardwood last year was a huge success for NBA 2K11; however, we didn’t want to stop there,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “We’re bringing ‘His Airness’ back to the NBA 2K franchise as part of a multi-year extended partnership, along with two other legendary icons – Larry Bird and Magic Johnson – for a special cover athlete collection representing the NBA’s greatest heroes.”

The unprecedented, stylized artwork covers underscore 2K Sports’ passion for bringing fans authentic NBA basketball across generations, while celebrating the legacy of legendary hoops athletes, past and present.

The cover artwork for NBA 2K12 was created by Adam Larson of Adam&Co. Larson has created dynamic artwork for galleries, magazines and various product advertising campaigns. His work has received numerous honors, including the Kelly Awards, Cannes Lions, Clio Awards, and two primetime Emmy nominations

NBA 2K12 can now be pre-ordered from leading video game retailers nationwide, and will be available on October 4, 2011, for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360, Wii™ system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and Windows PC.

NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 321 mkharsh33 @ 07/24/11 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Almost looks like Bird is holding that cane, which would be fitting

So, MK, are you sticking with 2K11 this year?
...and Tragic sees a camera and is shoving Bird out of the way.

Not sure about 2k12. I'm not smart enough for the reditor (I think) so it may be possible that 2K11 gives me everything I need. I don't like today's NBA so all I care about are the classic files. But I'll see what happens as the date gets closer.

The bigger question right now is 1) will I buy madden and 2) NHL12?

# 322 sportjames23 @ 07/24/11 12:48 AM
LOL at the Bird and Magic fanboys going at it.

Just like the old days...

# 323 VDusen04 @ 07/24/11 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I have to laugh...all this commotion over cover art
True dat. I kind of got lost in it myself. The real reason I even cared about this cover in the first place was because I was worried about whether the classic teams were going to return this year. I had this idea that 2K signed MJ to a one-year deal and he'd be gone and out. But to me these covers signified the historic teams would be back, with possibly some new team options.

Also, it's kind of fun just to debate all this stuff with you guys.

# 324 DJ @ 07/24/11 01:29 AM
Quote:

Not sure about 2k12. I'm not smart enough for the reditor (I think) so it may be possible that 2K11 gives me everything I need. I don't like today's NBA so all I care about are the classic files. But I'll see what happens as the date gets closer.

Touche, my friend.

I'll send you a PM tomorrow about my thoughts on the upcoming games.

# 325 SportsGamerShow @ 07/24/11 04:09 AM
Personally, I'm pretty excited about the news. Although it was an obvious move by 2k, it was a good decision to add Bird and Magic with the assumption that Bird and Magic Challenges will be a part of the game.

# 326 Goffs @ 07/24/11 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I do understand that, and frankly, If we could just get a grand editing tool... the PC guys have it... we'd be all set
I think upgrading the CAP system should help...they still have that generic look to them no matter how much you mess with the sliders...

tiger woods 12' CaP

# 327 VDusen04 @ 07/24/11 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
I think upgrading the CAP system should help...they still have that generic look to them no matter how much you mess with the sliders...

tiger woods 12' CaP
I agree with you there. Some more realistic (and/or varied) hair choices would go a long way. They keep taking steps in the right direction (as our hair choices were worse a few years ago) but it'd be nice to get over that hump. I thought I read a preview claiming white players may look more lifelike this year. That could be a good sign.

# 328 Da_Czar @ 07/24/11 11:34 AM
Quote:

I have no doubts you WILL be buying 2k12. LOL you guys crack me UP !!! Trust me you will purchase the game. The question is will you let US know your purchased it.

# 329 jd@os @ 07/24/11 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuseGirl
::sigh:: we can't ever do anything basketball related without talking about Jordan huh......
Second time I've read this post and I still don't get it.

# 330 aloncho11 @ 07/24/11 07:14 PM
Quote:

Reditor doesn't require brains at all. Although at first sight it seems like an Excel sheet, it is not difficult as one may think it is. This comes from me, a guy who isn't good and doesn't like mathematics. The only math you will need to know (and there are conversion tools for this on the web) are the conversion of the metric scale to feet and pounds when editing or creating players. The rest, yes it's numerical but stuff one knows like player ratings, date of birth, etc. Anyway, the future versions of it will include more friendly interfaces for editing players in a window mode.

# 331 mkharsh33 @ 07/24/11 09:16 PM
Might wait on the reditor...looks like the current build has limitations to it. I need to understand it better before blowing a few bucks on it. Thanks for the encouragement..."YES!!!!!!!"

# 332 mkharsh33 @ 07/24/11 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Magic
Funny but I think Mk is not going to buy because the classic Rosters are so suburb
I'm not sure that 2K can really improve the gameplay. I think NBA 2K11 is the greatest SPORTS title I've ever played. Graphics, simulation play, ambiance - it will be hard to top. I looked through my roster files and I've got over 20 years worth of complete seasons that will occupy me until rapture. There is more work to be done on those files with the drop of the reditor and possibly more seasons to be created yet. So, unless there is something that just blows me away in 2K12 I don't think I'll purchase it. I have no use for the added rookies because they all suck (with the exception of maybe a couple). Like every game it has some holes in it, but I really, really love 2K11.

# 333 FrankieOliver @ 07/24/11 11:43 PM
Untitled.....

# 334 Da_Czar @ 07/26/11 09:47 AM
Quote:
I'm not sure that 2K can really improve the gameplay. I think NBA 2K11 is the greatest SPORTS title I've ever played. Graphics, simulation play, ambiance - it will be hard to top. I looked through my roster files and I've got over 20 years worth of complete seasons that will occupy me until rapture. There is more work to be done on those files with the drop of the reditor and possibly more seasons to be created yet. So, unless there is something that just blows me away in 2K12 I don't think I'll purchase it. I have no use for the added rookies because they all suck (with the exception of maybe a couple). Like every game it has some holes in it, but I really, really love 2K11.
I stand by my original statement. Especially if your into gameplay I can't see you sitting out 2k12. Just can't see it

# 335 Pared @ 07/26/11 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
I dont get it. Why should Rose be on the cover with Jordan?? Cuz he won an MVP award?
Quote:
The better bet for 2K would be 3 optional covers:

Jordan in the background with Rose in the foreground

Bird in the background with Pierce in the foreground

Magic in the background with Kobe in the foreground

Come up with some slogan like "Old School to New School" or something like this. I really, really wonder, though, if this lockout has played into their decision making. This does offer them an opportunity to deflect the attention away (because I've posted in the other section here that I do NOT see a 2011-2012 season at all).
He gets it.

You throw Jordan - an all-time Chicago great - with Rose - their current superstar - on the cover back to back. P'Shop a picture of Jordan in his prime.

Would be the perfect way of combining the old and the new - You push the classics in the game by having Jordan on the cover and you push the current players in the game with Rose.

# 336 GaryT531 @ 07/26/11 11:09 AM
Quote:
there is not a doubt in my mind that 2k12's gameplay will be improved. once 2k11 came out 2k10 was pretty much unplayable. i expect the same thing again this year. just improving player control and movement, and fast breaks alone would make me forget about 2k11

# 337 KyotoCarl @ 07/26/11 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryT531
there is not a doubt in my mind that 2k12's gameplay will be improved. once 2k11 came out 2k10 was pretty much unplayable. i expect the same thing again this year. just improving player control and movement, and fast breaks alone would make me forget about 2k11
I agree with you. I've never been able to go back and play earlier 2K or Live games cause I think gameplay and control improves with every year.

# 338 TLizChosen @ 07/26/11 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH1LLYSFINEST13
So i guess we get to choose which of the 3 we want? They look hot but i dont want jordan again and i dont care for bird or magic
It is going to be Magic for me. I was a huge showtime fan.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

# 339 dxdude2004 @ 07/26/11 04:40 PM
Larry Bird ftw

# 340 Badger142 @ 08/26/11 03:07 PM
If Hedo's hair is blonde, then I'm going to get it

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.