Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Jordan Returns: 2K Sports Announces
Trio of NBA® 2K12 Covers Featuring Three NBA Icons

Michael Jordan, joined by Larry Bird and Magic Johnson,
to grace three unique artistic covers in celebration of NBA legacy

New York, NY – July 21, 2011 – 2K Sports announced today that NBA® 2K12, the next installment of the top-rated and best-selling NBA video game simulation franchise*, will offer three separate covers for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft featuring three of the NBA’s greatest legends of all time, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.

The new stylized NBA 2K12 covers are a unique, one-time departure from the traditional 2K Sports brand artwork, and will spotlight each legendary athlete on his famous team: the Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics, and Los Angeles Lakers. The covers featuring Bird and Johnson will be available at launch in a limited quantity.

A new feat in sports gaming, this three-part collection extends the strong legacy established by NBA 2K11, which has sold-in more than 5 million units worldwide and garnered over 20 video game accolades, including 14 ‘Sports Game of the Year’ honors.

“Bringing Michael Jordan to the virtual hardwood last year was a huge success for NBA 2K11; however, we didn’t want to stop there,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “We’re bringing ‘His Airness’ back to the NBA 2K franchise as part of a multi-year extended partnership, along with two other legendary icons – Larry Bird and Magic Johnson – for a special cover athlete collection representing the NBA’s greatest heroes.”

The unprecedented, stylized artwork covers underscore 2K Sports’ passion for bringing fans authentic NBA basketball across generations, while celebrating the legacy of legendary hoops athletes, past and present.

The cover artwork for NBA 2K12 was created by Adam Larson of Adam&Co. Larson has created dynamic artwork for galleries, magazines and various product advertising campaigns. His work has received numerous honors, including the Kelly Awards, Cannes Lions, Clio Awards, and two primetime Emmy nominations

NBA 2K12 can now be pre-ordered from leading video game retailers nationwide, and will be available on October 4, 2011, for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360, Wii™ system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and Windows PC.

NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Boogiemanjay @ 07/21/11 12:30 PM
Wow that was really mind blowing news Ronnie !!!
Should have add a feature list or game play with this
Looks like 2k is trying to sell us with these has beens
I sorry not trying to dog the legends but the NBA stars
Of today is unique as ever and this is a new era why
Focus on this with most of is are hard core my player
Fans I can care less about pass I'm looking ahead to the
Future come on 2k

# 62 rockchisler @ 07/21/11 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH1LLYSFINEST13
So i guess we get to choose which of the 3 we want? They look hot but i dont want jordan again and i dont care for bird or magic
Guess you wont be buying the game then huh?

# 63 rockchisler @ 07/21/11 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntt26
Definitely going with the Jordan cover. How will they sell these different covers? Seems odd. How will the in-game title screen look since there are 3?

The design looks really cool - I really like it!
Mixed covers have been done before, nothing new here.But I like it

# 64 sportjames23 @ 07/21/11 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzs K2
I don't really mind about the covers they all look good to me...or rather 2 of them do, the magic one is really underwhelming to me for some reason, he just seems small in comparison to the others. Anyway i'm a bit apprehensive about the direction 2k is taking here; catering to an older demographic is fine, as it brings in new customers in greater numbers, but i'm one of those people who just isn't interested in classic teams/players (literally took part in my first jordan challenge game a few days ago), and to me adding even more classic games/teams is a waste of disc space...Still i'm interested to see what perks and touches have been added to the aforementioned classic team/player modes that might get me interested......sorry for long post.

Older fans of older teams/players have more disposable income than most younger fans. Only makes sense for 2K to appeal to them.

I'm the opposite of you. I haven't even played with the current teams/players since I got 2K11. And it'll be the same when I get 2K12. Most current players don't appeal to me.

# 65 rockchisler @ 07/21/11 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdulP34
Ronnie boosted when he said: the cover will blow us or whatever, The design is so ugly
Quit trolling and dont bold anymore...

# 66 Boogiemanjay @ 07/21/11 12:43 PM
They should be focusing on my player mode but all in all will
See what direction their going in

# 67 cjallure24 @ 07/21/11 12:44 PM
Oh snap, RUN TMC, damn. I hope they blow the doors off with retro teams.

# 68 rockchisler @ 07/21/11 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitnessboy
Is this the big break through for us covers we have to wait for so long for such stupid news covers? Instead of giving Three videos of how they would be represent the three athletes but no just covers and everyboddy is excited man man i cant believe this, that you all think this is nice i want to see the game in action all the wait for nothing for a cover that you only see when you open the box what the heck this really sucks. Not even a screenshot. I am really frustrated for waiting on this news. Really 2K verry disapointing news at all. And i am a big fan but this...
Gotta love the new guys here with the complaining. 2k is notorious for withholding videos screen shots and such, I finally got use to it a couple years ago.. Just got to be patient..

# 69 sportjames23 @ 07/21/11 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiemanjay
Future come on 2k

Some sig-worthy garbage right here.

# 70 rockchisler @ 07/21/11 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Wait, someone really said what you have in your signature? If he hasn't already, he should've been banned on principle alone.

Awesome covers though, I'll be snatching up Mr Jordan on day one once again. Nobody is getting **** from me this holiday. The gaming industry has decided they want all my money from October to at least December.

On another note as far as I remember the cover athletes going, Larry Bird has just made 2K history....I'm sure everyone can figure out how with a little light research.
Being on Ea and 2k games???

# 71 rockchisler @ 07/21/11 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiemanjay
Future come on 2k
because these 3 are better then the current 3

# 72 jd@os @ 07/21/11 12:51 PM
First off, these covers--especially the Jordan one--are just plain SICK.

Second, it looks like custom cover makers will need to work overtime on making one for NBA 2K12. This will truly separate veteran cover makers from the amateurs.

Third, the question was already answered but it seems like some people are still confused: I'm pretty sure that the Jordan cover will ship for every platform in big numbers; its just that the Magic & Larry covers will ship across all platforms in limited numbers.

And lastly, I just don't get some people's problem with historic teams. It doesn't take away from ANYTHING related to your game-playing experience. I don't play Road to Glory on NCAA Football, and I don't play My Player on NBA 2K; however I don't complain about them taking up "disc space" or whatever because the core game play is still there.

Sorry for the last rant but some of you really show your age when complaining about historic cover athletes. I can't stand Kobe Bryant, but I bought 2K10 nonetheless and had fun; I didn't sleep with the cover or look at it while I got dressed. These are three of the greatest ballers to ever play the game, and just because you don't really know them because you've ONLY seen them on a dvd or ESPN Classic shows that you don't have appreciation for the sport. If you don't like the cover, just get a custom one. I have 8 sports games and 6 of those have a custom cover so go that route.

# 73 rockchisler @ 07/21/11 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMizzle
So who do you care about?
Magic and Bird were cold-blooded! Please don't say you gon put a scrub on your cover lol
This needs to be directed at the other guy not me..Bird Probably

# 74 da ThRONe @ 07/21/11 12:52 PM
I guess their going to ride this Jordan train til the wheels come off. Whatever if it's profitable for 2K. Personally I could care less who's on the cover it's all about what's on the disc.

# 75 23 @ 07/21/11 12:52 PM
Wonder if they'll offer DLC... Id bite to get some more stuff in there myself

teams and shoes and jersey's.. retro stuff, but thats just me.

# 76 cjallure24 @ 07/21/11 12:54 PM
For some people its never enough. It's a freaking cover release. If you don't want the cover that 2K has put out, create your own, or ask a fellow OSer to create one for you. Sheesh.

# 77 VDusen04 @ 07/21/11 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzs K2
I don't really mind about the covers they all look good to me...or rather 2 of them do, the magic one is really underwhelming to me for some reason, he just seems small in comparison to the others. Anyway i'm a bit apprehensive about the direction 2k is taking here; catering to an older demographic is fine, as it brings in new customers in greater numbers, but i'm one of those people who just isn't interested in classic teams/players (literally took part in my first jordan challenge game a few days ago), and to me adding even more classic games/teams is a waste of disc space...Still i'm interested to see what perks and touches have been added to the aforementioned classic team/player modes that might get me interested......sorry for long post.
I see both sides of the discussion. However, I think we can be thankful in knowing that we'll be able to count on gameplay being improved regardless of which teams are going to be included this year. The actual gaming aspect is going to be better (barring some weird ESPN NBA Basketball 2004 disaster). And I also believe there's no chance current teams and players won't also see large improvements (we've already heard about Dirk's rumored aesthetic and signature upgrades).

So therefore, I'd treat the classic teams as additions to product rather than a direction change. I don't think anything's going to happen where 2K is going to be like "Well, we didn't really touch the 2012 Pistons because we decided to focus on classic teams instead." I think it's rather going to be "We made our game awesomer (yes, awesomer) in more aspects than a lot of people were expecting. Instead of only making fans of the current league happy - or fans of the past - we decided to spread our wings as far as possible."

I think a change of direction would be Nike stopping their shoe production and focusing on basketball shorts. Instead, they just kind of branched out to appease more folk. 2K's not eliminating currents, they're just willing to appease more folk, and that's awesome to me. On top of everything else, it was likely a safe bet for these guys to go retro this year with the lockout looming about. It's a solid business maneuver.

# 78 23 @ 07/21/11 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I guess their going to ride this Jordan train til the wheels come off. Whatever if it's profitable for 2K. Personally I could care less who's on the cover it's all about what's on the disc.

He's basically a compliment to their work because they make a great game already.

Why not add great marketing with it?

# 79 ifriedrice @ 07/21/11 12:55 PM
That 01' Kings team means nothing without the '01 Lakers to play against. Same with Run TMC not having all their great competition from their hay day.

Can't wait for more info.

# 80 scottyp180 @ 07/21/11 12:57 PM
the jordan cover looks best but since he was on 2k11 ill switch it up this year. Woulda been better if each player had an appropriate backdrop cover (magic johnson purple/yellow, larry bird green) it just doesnt look right to have red behind all 3 players. Regardless i gotta go with magic johnson, favorite player of all time.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.