Home
Madden 12 News Post

Check out the latest Madden NFL 12 rookie ratings, showing off the top rookie quarterbacks.

A fresh infusion of talent by way of the NFL draft is the surest way your favorite team can build for the future. Why do you think we always debate the top draft classes and not the top free agency classes of all time? We get excited adding rookies to Madden NFL 12 too. Rather than tweaking and adjusting ratings for the same old veterans we get to build new guys from scratch, projecting how they’ll transition to the pro game. If only their coaches could do that.

Rookie quarterbacks in Madden NFL 12 almost have it as tough as their real life counterparts. If a player isn’t a Hall of Fame caliber player after his first snap, he’s immediately subject to more verbal abuse from fans than he’s ever heard in his life. Whether you’re yelling at them --or for them-- with a remote control, gamepad or $10 pretzel in your hand, quarterbacks get far too much credit and far too much blame for their team’s success or failure.

In Madden NFL 12 the rookie QBs will likely be subject to even more scrutiny with the addition of player traits and tendencies as those are just more metrics on which you can base your hastily formed opinions after each snap.

10. Greg McElroy - NYJ - 65 OVR

9. T.J. Yates - HOU - 66 OVR

8. Ricky Stanzi - KC - 68 OVR

7. Ryan Mallett - NE - 69 OVR

6. Colin Kaepernick - SF - 70 OVR

5. Andy Dalton - CIN - 71 OVR

4. Christian Ponder - MIN - 73 OVR

3. Jake Locker - TEN - 74 OVR

2. Blaine Gabbert - JAX - 75 OVR

1. Cam Newton - CAR - 77 OVR

Again nobody from this group, including the #1 overall pick, breaks into the 80s with their overall rating. Quarterbacks have it extremely tough when it comes to ratings, though. Drew Brees only briefly flirted with a 99 OVR rating after posting a 5000-yard passing season in ’08 and then leading New Orleans’ celebrated Super Bowl run in ‘09; Ben Roethlisberger has a pair of Super Bowl rings and he only hovers around a 90 OVR in Madden NFL games. So now what do you think Cam Newton will have to do for Carolina to get into even the low 80s as a rookie?

Don’t forget, we’ll be consistently updating all rosters and all players during the 2011 NFL season, so these lists are just a starting point. Keep it here for more on Madden NFL 12 rookies, ratings and info.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Wildcats302 @ 07/23/11 12:50 PM
A lot of love for Mallet in this thread, kind of disturbing. The guy is a good QB, but a lot of that had to do with the players around him as well as Arkansas had a great stable of WRs, as well as a great running game.

Locker was projected as the #1 pick in 2010 if he had come out...he dropped to 8th in this past year's draft and people act like he is awful or something. Give me a break.

# 22 24 @ 07/23/11 01:13 PM
Mallet was the most pro ready QB coming out of the draft he should be at least a 71-74. the fact that ponder was gifted with a 73 boggles my mind. needless to say regardless of what team i pick in franchise mode Ryan Mallet will be my starter

# 23 bmj2k7 @ 07/23/11 01:38 PM
What talent does carolina really have, a rooie head coach, a couple bad and overate QB's,. Deangelo Williams will be gone in the next week or since the only thing left is for the players to say yes to the new agreement and he's the most sought after free agent running back available, people were even trying to trade for this guy last year so they wouldn't end up in a bidding war for him, steve smith has already demanded a trade, and teams do want him, no no running threat or passing threat when those 2 are gone. Peppers is gone no no real pass rush anymore, and a average secondary, but a very good LB core. So a rookie QB and a eookie head coach, with all there best players gone, no run or passing threats, besides Newton and Stuart, a average d-line, a good Lb core and a ok secondary, thats questionable at times is going to start to in now, NNNNNOOOOOOOO i don't see that coming. Even almost if not all the analyst think carolina will have the No 1 pick in next years draft bc there nothing great or winnable about this team, especially when your by far the worst team in your devision, where you will get sweepted by the Saints, Falcons and Bucs, so that 6 losses right there, and Newton will start slow so add atleast 2-3 more losses, honestly if they win 4 games it shouldn't be considered a bad season for them!

# 24 Uncle Way @ 07/23/11 02:40 PM
Wish him the best of luck in SanFran, but Colin won't look nearly as fast on Sundays... There's a huge jump in athleticism/speed between the WAC(**giggles**) and the NFL..

# 25 gohogsfan14 @ 07/23/11 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats302
A lot of love for Mallet in this thread, kind of disturbing. The guy is a good QB, but a lot of that had to do with the players around him as well as Arkansas had a great stable of WRs, as well as a great running game.

Locker was projected as the #1 pick in 2010 if he had come out...he dropped to 8th in this past year's draft and people act like he is awful or something. Give me a break.
You could also say that the reason the WRs and running game were so good is because of him though. Our running game wasnt that great in 2009 or the first half of 2010. He dominated the best conference in college football...i feel like he was at worst the 2nd best QB in the draft

# 26 Jarodd21 @ 07/23/11 04:13 PM
Yeah Mallet definitely got screwed. Some people are saying he was the 3rd best QB but I believe he was the 2nd best. I'm not sold on Gabbert at all. C.Daniels put up way better numbers then Gabbert at Mizzu and has less physical attributes.. Mallet should have been at least a 73-75 IMO.

# 27 gohogsfan14 @ 07/23/11 04:21 PM
I mean i know im biased but a player with an assault charge and 3 failed drug tests on his record went in the first round and a guy who stole laptops and had a shady college career went #1 overall...but mallett slipped to the 3rd. i dont really get it.

# 28 ltzraymond @ 07/23/11 04:47 PM
They need a new person in charge of ratings...

# 29 rymflaherty @ 07/23/11 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amaizen Blue
How is McEllroy last on that list? And Colin Kaep higher than Ryan Mallet? Oh well, they're all close together, just makes me SMH though.
Just my .02, but I'd be surprised if McEllroy is on an NFL roster this year.
I'm a bit of a draft nut and I didn't see anything that demonstrated he had the physical tools to be even a backup QB.

I do agree though with those that are high on Mallett. To me he was also the best QB available. I'd go as far as to say, that if you were simply looking at physical tools and production, he may have been the best QB that's been available the past few years. Every game he makes a few throws that possibly no one else on the planet can make.
That being said, it is tricky......since the question marks with Mallett (which could be legitimate) are related to attitude and mental attributes. So I can see how that would be tough to balance and account for.....I think EA just went the safe route giving him the lower OVR rating.

Tough to complain too much. As I really thought all these guys were "projects" in one form or another and the overall ratings do reflect that, with no one cracking 80.

# 30 NYfanatic @ 07/23/11 05:15 PM
thank god we can just edit this entire list.
I plan to make
Cam- 65 F
Locker- 75 A
Gabbert- 72 B
Ponder- 71 A
Dalton- 70 B
Kapernick- 68 B
Mallet- 73 A
Stanzi- 65 C
Yates- 65 C
Mcelroy- 67 B

# 31 shylo3716 @ 07/23/11 06:30 PM
Why is it Tyrod got left off on the list of QBs he did actually get drafted you know?

# 32 alifeincomplete @ 07/23/11 09:28 PM
Well it looks like I have a lot of rookie quarterbacks to edit.

# 33 Jarodd21 @ 07/23/11 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0M0mentum09
Everybody in this thread is sleeping on Ponder! No only is he in a great situation he's one of the most NFL ready QB's in this draft. . . Ponder will be the best QB out of this draft class. . . mark my words!
Ponder didn't prove nothing in college.. IMO he was the one holding FSU back. I see no success for him in the league. He should be a 69.

# 34 Palo20 @ 07/23/11 11:26 PM
Mallet should have a THP of about 97 or 98. I think he has just incredible upside as a passer, but he has to learn how to avoid the rush a little better in the pocket. He'll make some throws that no one else can make, but then sometimes he loses his touch on the short stuff. Once again though, his upside as a passer is unmatched in this class.

So many boom or bust type prospects in this year's class. Locker, Newton, Mallet, Gabbert, Kaepernick. Should be fun to watch.

# 35 shylo3716 @ 07/24/11 11:44 AM
So Mallett's arm strength rating will be higher then Flacco's correct?

He should be the highest rated for the game, if not it's a CRIME.

# 36 StayPlation82 @ 07/24/11 04:31 PM
i made a Mallet CAP with an overall 69 and he was quite servicable. To the Cam haters...

# 37 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 07/24/11 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats302

I don't mean to be rude, but did you watch Locker play? Yeah, he has all the tools to be a great QB, but my god, you could cut a chicken's head off and their body's IQ would still be higher than Locker's football IQ lol. He made some of the worst decisions I've seen since Rob Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYfanatic
thank god we can just edit this entire list.
I plan to make
Cam- 65 F
Locker- 75 A
Gabbert- 72 B
Ponder- 71 A
Dalton- 70 B
Kapernick- 68 B
Mallet- 73 A
Stanzi- 65 C
Yates- 65 C
Mcelroy- 67 B
Good lord this list is just putrid.

I don't even think Cam is that good, but anyone that doesn't think he has the most potential probably of any rookie this year is kidding themselves. That doesn't mean he'll reach that potential at all, but he has by far the most potential out of the QBs. Having said that, his rating is definitely too high, but you obviously hate him for rating him a 65, and the fact that you rated Locker a 75 with A potential is just ridiculous. High potential is fine for him, but right now, I'd just give him a big arm, but inaccurate and horribly inconsistent. And I don't see how you not only rate Ponder higher than Cam, but also give him an A potential while giving Cam an F.

# 38 ConnSKINS26 @ 07/24/11 09:27 PM
I really hope despite his obviously low rating, that Tyrod Taylor has some serviceable tools. Looking forward to developing him behind a vet before he takes over for my Skins. Although I'll admit that he would be a great fit developing behind Vick for the Eagles.

# 39 Madwolf @ 07/25/11 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmj2k7
What talent does carolina really have, a rooie head coach, a couple bad and overate QB's,. Deangelo Williams will be gone in the next week or since the only thing left is for the players to say yes to the new agreement and he's the most sought after free agent running back available, people were even trying to trade for this guy last year so they wouldn't end up in a bidding war for him, steve smith has already demanded a trade, and teams do want him, no no running threat or passing threat when those 2 are gone. Peppers is gone no no real pass rush anymore, and a average secondary, but a very good LB core. So a rookie QB and a eookie head coach, with all there best players gone, no run or passing threats, besides Newton and Stuart, a average d-line, a good Lb core and a ok secondary, thats questionable at times is going to start to in now, NNNNNOOOOOOOO i don't see that coming. Even almost if not all the analyst think carolina will have the No 1 pick in next years draft bc there nothing great or winnable about this team, especially when your by far the worst team in your devision, where you will get sweepted by the Saints, Falcons and Bucs, so that 6 losses right there, and Newton will start slow so add atleast 2-3 more losses, honestly if they win 4 games it shouldn't be considered a bad season for them!
What talent does Carolina have?
Rookie QB Cam Newton - High potential IRL, Heisman winner
RB Deanglo Williams - Pro Bowler
RB Jonathan Stewart - Starter quality back
WR Steve Smith - Pro Bowler
WR David Gettis - Watch him, promising 2nd year player
TE Shockey - Pro Bowler
LT Jordan Gross - Pro Bowler
LG Trevell Wharton - Solid G
C Ryan Kalil - Top5 NFL C
RT Jeff Otah - Solid RT

DE Charles Johnson - Julius Peppers who?
OLB Thomas Davis - Pro Bowler
MLB Jon Beason - Pro Bowler
OLB James Anderson - Solid OLB, sought after FA
CB Chris Gamble - Top15 NFL CB

Rookie Head Coach
Who was the DC for the Bears during the Super Bowl, and for the Chargers the last few years.

D'Will is leaving
Based on? Carolina has the 2nd most money to spend in the NFL

Steve Smith demanded a trade
No, he didn't. He said if things don't change he wanted a trade. Carolina isn't going to let him out of Charlotte unless someone wants to dole out some high draft picks.

Yes, he cleaned out his locker... just like a lot of NFL players did when they got locked out.

Anything recently on this front? NOPE!

Your theory = No running, or passing threat
I'd hate to lose D'Will, but Stewart can take over with little loss in production, especially being backed up by Sutton and Goodson.

If Steve Smith is going to be traded Carolina will go out and grab a #1 WR in FA. Plus, they have one of the newest dual-threat QBs in the league. Teams are going to have to treat him closer to Mike Vick or Vince Young, opening up the passing and running game.

Most of the experts think Carolina will end up with next years #1
I watch ESPN and NFL Network all the time and haven't heard that echo'd once. A team with a 12-4 record, and an 8-8 record in 2008 and 2009 didn't fall apart simply because Jake Delhomme left town. 2010 was all about coaching, and the complete lack of it. John Fox was a lame duck coach, deal with it.

Carolina will get swept in the NFC South
I think Carolina gets swept by the Saints, but they have a chance to get wins against both the Falcons and the Bucs. Neither of those teams run an offense that will bury the Panthers.

4 wins will be considered a success
I personally don't think 4 wins is a success for Carolina. There are 5 teams on their schedule that I think are lower tier teams this year. Carolina should be able to win at least 3 of those and then sneak 3 games or so from the mid-level teams.

If Newton can take care of the ball, the ceiling could be closer to 8 wins.

# 40 TearsOfPurple @ 07/25/11 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
Ponder didn't prove nothing in college.. IMO he was the one holding FSU back. I see no success for him in the league. He should be a 69.
Someone should slap you for how stupid this post is.

69 overall? Ponder is the most pro-ready QB in the draft by far. He ran the same type of West-Coast Offense at FSU that the Vikings will run this year. He got his master's in 2.5 years, and scored 35 on the Wonderlic (31 is what the average Chemist gets) Watch his football science video and you'll see how damn accurate Ponder is. Smart and accurate are 2 deadly combinations that few Qbs have, Drew Breese being the first I can think of. Now, I'm not trying to say "He's the next Drew Breese!" but he's just an example of how arm strength isn't everything.

Holding the team down? C'mon now. The guy is a winner. The Champs Sports Bowl, and The Chik Fil A Bowl. Both games he won. 2-0 in bowl games, and MVP of the Senior Bowl, leading the South to a win over the heavily favored North? Are you kidding me? Look at his 2009 tape before you call him out for holding the team down, he's the reason they did any good. I can't even name any of his WRs or RB.

Oh, and he was also 41 for 45 on thirds downs, and only threw 1 pick in the redzone.

In every sense of the word he is a quarterback. His teammates follow his lead, he’s a player that makes those around him better with his words and by example, and he has an infectious love of the game that cannot be taught. Whether it’s in the huddle, along the sideline, in the weight room, or organizing team activities in the off-season, there is no doubt about who the field general is.

tl;dr Haters gonna hate.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.