Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Multiple outlets are spilling the beans about NBA 2K12's newest mode: NBA's Greatest. The mode seems to be an extension of The Jordan Challenge mode that was available in NBA 2K11.

This time around Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Julius Erving, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and 10 other unannounced all-time greats will be featured in this new mode.

At this time, the unannounced players are not the only thing shrouded in mystery here. It's unclear how many different scenarios or teams will even be included in this mode. This is being intentionally done so fans debate who they think should be included, according to 2K Sports.

The folks at 2K Sports want to go even further when it comes to re-creating moments in the NBA's Greatest mode by mimicking broadcasts from the '80s and even '60s. This means different camera angles, replay styles or even black and white video in order to bring people into the historical aspects of these games.

The NBA's Greatest mode seems like a really smart one when considering the ongoing NBA lockout, as well as the success of The Jordan Challenge mode last year.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 sportjames23 @ 08/03/11 03:46 PM
I didn't think they could top 2K11. They just couldn't.

I'm glad to be wrong.

# 42 cb1115 @ 08/03/11 03:47 PM
'95 Magic and '01 Raptors need to be in this game. Make it happen, 2K.

# 43 bdolan33 @ 08/03/11 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlinggod1
Sounds great! that looks like a pretty good Larry Bird.

And it looks like jerseys finally sit on the players' shoulders!!!
now that is what retor basketball looks like. thank you 2k for FINALLY representing it

# 44 ClevelandinDistress @ 08/03/11 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
I actually agree with him to some extent. I love old-time NBA and to play with those classic teams, but I'd prefer 2K to really boost the graphics and add some ground breaking gameplay features. But doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon.......so...I'll take the classic teams for now.

Boosting the graphics will have to wait till next gen Man. Definately not a realistic wish since the xbox has been out for 6 years now and is being pushed to the limit. Honestly the graphics are good enough. You can recognize all the players, they have sweat on their face and you can see every little thread of a jersey if you zoom in close. How much more do you want?

Let me remind you how far we've come on the same hardware!

The textures,lighting engine all redone. And about 5000 animations added, plus full on broadcast presentaion, myplayer, jordan moments! Come on!

# 45 jeebs9 @ 08/03/11 03:49 PM
Quote:
What would be Yao's challenge there? To stay healthy? (Wait, that's T-Mac's challenge already).

NO he did not!! lol

Next thing you know we'll have can you choke with LeBron!

Na but seriously

Patrick Ewing has to be in the game

But do you guys think we will have cross matches? Because I know for a fact we will have young Magic's Lakers vs Dr.J's Sixers 1980 finals

# 46 VDusen04 @ 08/03/11 03:49 PM
I am really curious to see how the technicolor and black-and-white effects look. I'm certain they'll be optional, but still very cool. My little brother's first question was, "Is it only going to be 80's and above?" But with the mention of black and white, one would have to believe we're headed back to Wilt, Bill, Bob, or Jerry.

# 47 Pezell04x @ 08/03/11 03:49 PM
I see everyone talking about the "greats" but why hasn't someone mentioned Russell?

Webber's Kings? Barkley's Suns?

As much as I loved Barkley and the 92-93 Suns team, the lack of mention for Bill Russell, Bob Cousy and other of the 1960's Celtics team is frightening.

# 48 exposedaking @ 08/03/11 03:51 PM
finally, magic looks like magic....im diggin it

# 49 VDusen04 @ 08/03/11 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezell04x
I see everyone talking about the "greats" but why hasn't someone mentioned Russell?

Webber's Kings? Barkley's Suns?

As much as I loved Barkley and the 92-93 Suns team, the lack of mention for Bill Russell, Bob Cousy and other of the 1960's Celtics team is frightening.
I think we've all been kind of wondering whether 2K would be willing to move that far back in history, as their Jordan-centric mode last year only went as far back as '86. But as I mentioned in my post I was probably writing at the same time as you, I think the black-and-white mention confirms at least a few of our real classic guys will be making an appearance.

# 50 ifriedrice @ 08/03/11 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I am really curious to see how the technicolor and black-and-white effects look. I'm certain they'll be optional, but still very cool.
Presentation-wise, there were replays that were specific to the Classic Teams mode in 2K11 and those weren't optional. I don't know how you're certain, but I sure hope you're right.

# 51 sportjames23 @ 08/03/11 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge
2K is doing it wrong in my opinion. They're spending too much on the past NBA greats where that development could be on making the gameplay better. Every year the new b-ball game comes out and it's good, but not great. There are flaws, obvious flaws that everyone sees, but some of us prefer to point them out while others decide to pretend they aren't there. 2K needs to quit this old school trend and get back in the now. Create a good game of basketball for us to play, not for us to watch.

Um, they did create a good game of basketball for us to play. No, I take that back--they created a GREAT game of basketball for us to play. Many Sports Game of the Year awards backs that up.

And as for all these Ol' School players we're getting--HELL. YEAH.

I'm glad to be playing with players I grew up watching.

# 52 youvalss @ 08/03/11 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
NO he did not!! lol

Next thing you know we'll have can you choke with LeBron!

Na but seriously

Patrick Ewing has to be in the game

But do you guys think we will have cross matches? Because I know for a fact we will have young Magic's Lakers vs Dr.J's Sixers 1980 finals
Talking about choking...LOL. Nah, I love Ewing, but then again, I'm still asking myself if those past teams must be ones that won titles or just some past great teams (sorry, haven't seen any confirmation for that). If those are teams that won, you can forget about Patrick's Knicks.

# 53 Mr_Riddick @ 08/03/11 03:56 PM
just WOW 2k ftw. Il be making my first video game purchase this year in OCT. Ive been starving for 2k12 info, and now this. I'm gonna need a wet wipe lol..

# 54 sportjames23 @ 08/03/11 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
THANK YOU GUYS!... Thats what Im talking about.. see how MJ holds his arm and hand out forward.... thats how he dunks!!! YES SIR

Yessssir!!!

# 55 jeebs9 @ 08/03/11 03:57 PM
Bill Russell
Wilt
The Dream
Jerry West
Bob Cousy
John Havlicek
Shaq
Baylor

You guys think we will get their dribble animation from the 60's?

# 56 DutchMastah7 @ 08/03/11 04:00 PM
Quote:
What would be Yao's challenge there? To stay healthy? (Wait, that's T-Mac's challenge already).
LOL. Sitting here with my girl while gets tatted, I bust out laughing and she wants to know whats so funny. She'll never understand.

# 57 VDusen04 @ 08/03/11 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifriedrice
Presentation-wise, there were replays that were specific to the Classic Teams mode in 2K11 and those weren't optional. I don't know how you're certain, but I sure hope you're right.
Yeah I'm not certain, just taking a logical leap of faith. Other games have had this type of effect as well (MVP Baseball 2005) and it was optional. For those with no interest in the technicolor or black-and-white effects, I bet at worst we'd have to use them for the actual "Greatest" game then be able to use whatever we wanted after we complete the challenge. But even then, I'd be surprised if they didn't give us the option the whole way.

# 58 23 @ 08/03/11 04:02 PM
Does this mean the striped socks will be back also since Dr J is wearing them in that pic?

# 59 Maxflier @ 08/03/11 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe24-
How cool would it be if they had Ama're Staudamires Free throw routine down... You know what im talking about? When moves his goggles up onto his head and shoots a freethrow... And then after taking both freethrows he puts the goggles back on.... Now that would be realistic.

Probably too much to ask, but yes that would be tight.

# 60 Da_Czar @ 08/03/11 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge
2K is doing it wrong in my opinion. They're spending too much on the past NBA greats where that development could be on making the gameplay better. Every year the new b-ball game comes out and it's good, but not great. There are flaws, obvious flaws that everyone sees, but some of us prefer to point them out while others decide to pretend they aren't there. 2K needs to quit this old school trend and get back in the now. Create a good game of basketball for us to play, not for us to watch.
Boge and others with this philosophy. I know you want quality hoops but trust me when I tell you that the gameplay group works on gameplay all year long. Nothing else. Gameplay was not neglected for this. There will be more "basketball" elements in 2k12 than ... So hang on bro your info is coming. Again gameplay producers work on gameplay all year long.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.