Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Multiple outlets are spilling the beans about NBA 2K12's newest mode: NBA's Greatest. The mode seems to be an extension of The Jordan Challenge mode that was available in NBA 2K11.

This time around Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Julius Erving, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and 10 other unannounced all-time greats will be featured in this new mode.

At this time, the unannounced players are not the only thing shrouded in mystery here. It's unclear how many different scenarios or teams will even be included in this mode. This is being intentionally done so fans debate who they think should be included, according to 2K Sports.

The folks at 2K Sports want to go even further when it comes to re-creating moments in the NBA's Greatest mode by mimicking broadcasts from the '80s and even '60s. This means different camera angles, replay styles or even black and white video in order to bring people into the historical aspects of these games.

The NBA's Greatest mode seems like a really smart one when considering the ongoing NBA lockout, as well as the success of The Jordan Challenge mode last year.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 sportjames23 @ 08/03/11 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Does this mean the striped socks will be back also since Dr J is wearing them in that pic?

I hope so. I know Bird's Celtics used to wear them. So did Magic and most of the Lakers, as well as Dr. and most of the Sixers.

# 62 MessenjahMatt @ 08/03/11 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandinDistress
hmm, bald Jordan with the 1's on.... hope the 80's Mike is still in the game as well.

# 63 youvalss @ 08/03/11 04:07 PM
Yeah, striped socks back then were like tattoos or wrist bands today...

# 64 cavsfan2 @ 08/03/11 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityFanatic
I hope they make the nets skinnier.
yeah, but now the nets are like twine. even layups swish in!

# 65 Da_Czar @ 08/03/11 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
I actually agree with him to some extent. I love old-time NBA and to play with those classic teams, but I'd prefer 2K to really boost the graphics and add some ground breaking gameplay features. But doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon.......so...I'll take the classic teams for now.
It might not be the best biz strategy to blow out graphics the year BEFORE the competition re-enters the arena with a brand new look and feel. IMO

# 66 neptuneniq @ 08/03/11 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessenjahMatt
hmm, bald Jordan with the 1's on.... hope the 80's Mike is still in the game as well.
yeh i noticed that too

kind of odd dont u think

# 67 youvalss @ 08/03/11 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
It might not be the best biz strategy to blow out graphics the year BEFORE the competition re-enters the arena with a brand new look and feel. IMO
We're not supposed to talk about it, so it's my last post here about this stuff. Graphics haven't been boosted for some time, and it's too bad that people argue that this gen is done and graphics can only be better on the next gen. I'm not sure it has anything to do with EA's game. We'll see...

Back on topic! (please)

# 68 youvalss @ 08/03/11 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptuneniq
yeh i noticed that too

kind of odd dont u think
He did wear the 1's during his final game at MSG in 1998, if I'm not mistaken.

# 69 VDusen04 @ 08/03/11 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Does this mean the striped socks will be back also since Dr J is wearing them in that pic?
Wow, totally didn't even notice that. Positively awesome. Not to look too far forward, but I hope the ability to edit and create other classic teams is similar to last year. A "1987" roster with striped socks, true jerseys, and additional classic courts could have amazing potential.

# 70 neptuneniq @ 08/03/11 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
He did wear the 1's during his final game at MSG in 1998, if I'm not mistaken.

why would they have him play the lakers at home? he wore the black road jersey in NY at that game.

.......forget it, im making too much of a big deal

# 71 youvalss @ 08/03/11 04:15 PM
Someone probably just edited shoes for him. No big deal...

# 72 23 @ 08/03/11 04:15 PM
Really you are, if you dont like the 1s change em.. sheesh lol

If 80s MJ aint there its a chance his cyberface might still be on the disc to hex

# 73 Da_Czar @ 08/03/11 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Im going to stop this early

This thread is about the new news.... not about some gameplay gripes

Keep it out of this thread and Im saying keep it all out
Apologies Dre I was behind in the thread and didn't see this warning.

# 74 neptuneniq @ 08/03/11 04:16 PM
they got bird and magics face down

maybe 2k finally has the current rosters look like themselves

whos excited to beast with Jeremy Lin?

# 75 cavsfan2 @ 08/03/11 04:17 PM
hmmm.. from a presentation standpoint I wonder if they are going to have different scoreboards on screen. in games before 2000 ish the scoreboard would only pop up after scores or if the clock was running down. I would be weird to play with Dr. J and have the TV graphic score board in the bottom corner of the screen.

# 76 jeebs9 @ 08/03/11 04:20 PM
Jeremey who?

# 77 VDusen04 @ 08/03/11 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan2
hmmm.. from a presentation standpoint I wonder if they are going to have different scoreboards on screen. in games before 2000 ish the scoreboard would only pop up after scores or if the clock was running down. I would be weird to play with Dr. J and have the TV graphic score board in the bottom corner of the screen.
Ohhh good question.

Here's another wonder of mine: will pre-'79 teams mean an absence of a three-point line for certain matchups? If so, will it carry over as an option for normal games?

# 78 jeebs9 @ 08/03/11 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan2

I wonder if in the 60's will we get a shot clock... Ok that's pushing it... lol

# 79 sportjames23 @ 08/03/11 04:22 PM
Why are some of you complaining about the graphics? 2K11 looks friggin' great. And 2K12 looks like it's gonna look fantastic, too.

Tell you what--pop in 2K10 and compare it to 2K11. 2K11 blows 2K10 out the water. And don't even get started on 2K9 or earlier. They look absolutely prehistoric compared to 2K11.

# 80 youvalss @ 08/03/11 04:22 PM
You need to play the old-time challenges on a SD TV. Otherwise, the game would freeze.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.