Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Multiple outlets are spilling the beans about NBA 2K12's newest mode: NBA's Greatest. The mode seems to be an extension of The Jordan Challenge mode that was available in NBA 2K11.

This time around Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Julius Erving, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and 10 other unannounced all-time greats will be featured in this new mode.

At this time, the unannounced players are not the only thing shrouded in mystery here. It's unclear how many different scenarios or teams will even be included in this mode. This is being intentionally done so fans debate who they think should be included, according to 2K Sports.

The folks at 2K Sports want to go even further when it comes to re-creating moments in the NBA's Greatest mode by mimicking broadcasts from the '80s and even '60s. This means different camera angles, replay styles or even black and white video in order to bring people into the historical aspects of these games.

The NBA's Greatest mode seems like a really smart one when considering the ongoing NBA lockout, as well as the success of The Jordan Challenge mode last year.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 STLRams @ 08/03/11 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge
2K is doing it wrong in my opinion. They're spending too much on the past NBA greats where that development could be on making the gameplay better. Every year the new b-ball game comes out and it's good, but not great. There are flaws, obvious flaws that everyone sees, but some of us prefer to point them out while others decide to pretend they aren't there. 2K needs to quit this old school trend and get back in the now. Create a good game of basketball for us to play, not for us to watch.
Wow, Im I don't even know what to say after reading that. The Greatest mode is just one of the early features of the game that they are announcing. There will be more features, gameplay improvements and other things that will be announced in the coming weeks, months. And then to say "create a good game of basketball for us to play"??? Did you play NBA2K10 or NBA2K11, especially 2K11 - 2K has been knocking it out the park with the strides and improvements to there basketball game every year. I can't even see how a true fan of the NBA isn't excited about having Jordan, Bird and other legend teams/players as a added bonus to a current NBA game. This was a great move by 2Ksports, and im confindent the 2K devs have made great improvements to the current teams/players on the game also. Sorry but im just puzzled by some of the younger guys who don't like the idea of having the legend teams/players as a added bonus to 2KBasketball games.

Anyway, NBA2K12 will be Legendary, it will be interesting to see what other legend teams they add to the game.

# 82 sportjames23 @ 08/03/11 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I wonder if in the 60's will we get a shot clock... Ok that's pushing it... lol

They should. The shot clock's been around since 1954.

# 83 youvalss @ 08/03/11 04:25 PM
If you pre-order 2K12, you get a 1960's B/W TV -

# 84 23 @ 08/03/11 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Apologies Dre I was behind in the thread and didn't see this warning.
That was for the people coming in here dismissing the news just to complain about gameplay

We can actually have threads about things other than gameplay and that needs to be understood

You dont have to complain about the same thing in every thread.. it gets annoying to people that just want to talk on a subject about the game that might be about some other aspect like this one but you were already giving him the right info so carry on sir.. you def have the green light

# 85 neptuneniq @ 08/03/11 04:25 PM
i wonder if these retro teams will have their own warmups

# 86 cjallure24 @ 08/03/11 04:26 PM
Nice, pretty nice idea to branch off the MJ Challenge to NBA Greatest Mode...Seriously, if 2K puts in Tom Chambers rising over Mark Jackson for the two hand slam...I'm a lose my mind...lol, (even though I know it won't happen, stll an awesome idea.)

# 87 boritter @ 08/03/11 04:27 PM
I'm not a big NBA fan. But I loved 2K11. And 2K12 sounds even better.

I guess that is a huge compliment to 2K...

# 88 neptuneniq @ 08/03/11 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjallure24
Nice, pretty nice idea to branch off the MJ Challenge to NBA Greatest Mode...Seriously, if 2K puts in Tom Chambers rising over Mark Jackson for the two hand slam...I'm a lose my mind...lol, (even though I know it won't happen, stll an awesome idea.)
kind of related...but i hope for more poster dunks

# 89 quadsas @ 08/03/11 04:30 PM
I DONT NEED ****ING GRAPHICS JUST GIMME RETRO RAPTORS JERSEYS, YES THE MOST BADASS JERSEYS EVER AND ILL BUY THAT ****ING GAME!

oh, and get Barkley in the game, Suns were sick back then!

# 90 SouthBeach @ 08/03/11 04:30 PM
I'm stoked that the jerseys appear to be resting on the players as opposed to floating above their shoulders.

I am really hoping for Charles Barkley, Hakeem, Jerry West (Mr. Logo himiself), Bill Walton, Big O, REGGIE MILLER!! and Elgin Baylor.

Any of those players would be great to have in addition to MJ, Bird, Magic, Dr. J, and Kareem for the 15 greatest players.

My only question is whether they'd incorporate classic teams with the 15 greatest players. Like, will the focus be more so on the player or have a "challenge" that's team-based.

Maybe it's a bit of a reach, but I think having the greatest rivalries in recent history and legendary rivalries would be dope. Like the old Heat vs Knicks in the 90s, Lakers vs Celtics in the 80s, Pacers vs Knicks, etc.

# 91 jeebs9 @ 08/03/11 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeC
I'm liking this no 3pt line idea. I think Live 2005 had this with the courts you could choose.

That would be sick. When did the NBA put the 3 point line?

# 92 sportjames23 @ 08/03/11 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
That would be sick. When did the NBA put the 3 point line?

1979-1980 season, Bird and Magic's rookie year.

# 93 Boge @ 08/03/11 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laroche360
dude, if uīre a true BBALL fan, then u have to be aware of the nba story and what it did to the globalisation of its sports worldwide..look at the sales from last year, they never sold that much in their history, that would be dumb from them to go another direction, even though they put a lot of attention on those legend players, 2k still look to improve the game in all other areas..so if u want to play with lebron or dirk, be my guest,they īre still there...relax and have fun my friend, those teams are the greatest ever...iīm more than thankful,maybe uīre a young gamer thatīs why it might be hard for u to understand
I'm not young anymore. I'm 33. I've been watching basketball since the 80s, however, I wasn't REALLY an NBA fan until the 90s, so I was just on the outside of Bird and Magic. I'm still a huge fan of the old school though. However, those days are done and gone. If I wanted them back, I'd watch old videos. I want the new.

NBA 2K11 was a good game, but not a great game. There are some serious issues that creep their ugly face into every game I play. I have to fight the game controls just so I can stay in position. My player tends to think and move on his own, even without any controller input at all. Just last night I lost a game because I was posting up. When I pressed the shot stick to shoot the ball before the shot clock, my player moves his foot around a few times, then turns slowly for a pump fake, doesn't shoot it and I end up turning the ball over with 4 seconds left. I was holding the shot stick in one direction for about 3 seconds and not doing anything else. Issues like that need more attention, not adding legendary players, not yet anyway.

And the problem is, 2K announces something like this, and yeah, it's great, but we can't buy into it so easily. We have to keep our priorities straight and say,"No! That's not what we want in order to make our basketball games better! We want better gameplay, and here's what needs to be improved..." When everyone says,"Yay! Michael Jordan challenges! This is the best game ever!" Then 2K says,"They like it. Okay, the gameplay is fine. Let's just add in Magic challenges, Bird challenges, Chamberlain challenges and we'll sell the game."

I say it's not good enough. I'm still waiting for them to improve on NBA 2K8.

# 94 23 @ 08/03/11 04:42 PM
If you have gameplay issues, start another thread and talk about it there

Dont come in a thread about retro players and start complaining about gameplay.. its not the appropriate place for it and it derails the topic and the news

People come to OS for news when something comes forth, and its definitely not to see people griping about stuff the news isnt even about so from now on, any non topic posts will be deleted out of here

You want to discuss something else, start your own thread topic about it and that'll be fine

# 95 jeebs9 @ 08/03/11 04:42 PM
Some nice Magic backing down dribble would be nice!

# 96 Goffs @ 08/03/11 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandinDistress

nice! the shorts actually look tighter! no more baggy shorts for Stockton please that was a travesty last year...

As for classic black and white games...im betting this guy will be in it...

this right here will be the ultimate challenge...

inb4 youvalss joke about women instead of points

protip: ignore Boge from here on then all he does is complain since i can remember....

# 97 DJ @ 08/03/11 04:46 PM
I am excited. That is all.

# 98 alaska2k3 @ 08/03/11 04:49 PM

# 99 Goffs @ 08/03/11 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska2k3
fixed with embed

# 100 jeebs9 @ 08/03/11 04:52 PM
Don't want anyone getting banned so lets move on please!!

No 3 point line and black and white TV.. We just need to low dribbling and we are talking about a classic (literally lol)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.