Home
NHL 12 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

According to the NHL 12 Facebook page, this is the "BIG" announcement.

Quote:
In the 1st NHL 12 producer video we promised a big announcement...well here it is: 'They're coming!'

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 toadiev @ 08/08/11 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
Good question. Take Mario Lemieux for one second. If Oveckin is a 94 overall in the game, Lemieux should be 115. I mean, Lemieux could score goals with three guys on is back (which is kind of why he had back problem afterward) while undressing any defenseman in the league (would love to watch a 1 on 1 with Hal Gill when Lemieux was in his prime!).

Same thing with Gretzky. If you consider Crosby is one of the best passer in the game and gave him a 99, what will you give to Gretz? Gretz was able to pass the puck from the dressing room while Kurri was waiting in front of the net.

Same thing with the BaP. Best juniors last year we're close to 72-74 if I remember correctly (Hall and Seguin). How would you rate a guy who at 18 years old ended up with 133 goals and 149 assists in 70 games??? Gretz, at 16 years old had 182 points in 64 games. You can't put them in at 75, these guys we're legend in the CHL before proving all their talent in the big level at 18-19 years old.

It's a fact, ratings can always be corrected, but I guess that the Legend things makes it harder on how you balanced everything and the fact that hockey as change.
The game has changed. 182 point season wasn't as rare then with worse goaltending and not as much strategy on the back end to stop players like that.

Your idea of more points also catches a snag on the fact the record for most points in the OHL is 192 by the Bobby Smith, who had a pretty good NHL career but I think would be regarded as somewhat less then Lemieux and Gretzky. In the WHL was Rob Brown's 212. He went on to play a bit over 500 NHL games and score 438 career points. Pierre Larouche managed 157 assists in one season, more than Lemieux's best as well. I think direct stat comparison is your flaw in this arguement.

Sure Gretzky could make amazing passes and I remember watching the elite level of skill he had. It put me in awe whenever I saw him, especially live but Crosby is very special and has been from a young age. I am not so sure that Sid doesn't see the ice near that level. Also Crosby is much more physical and has way better net drive abilities then Gretzky had. Not so sure that he isn't worthy of the rating. As for Lemieux, yeah he could do some great stuff but the guy was one of the NHL's worst skaters his entire career, and was known for his tendency to be a hair lazy. Ovechkin is passionate and quick and can score. Really thats like comparing Mike Bossy and Steven Stamkos, time will tell but these players are all great at what they do and I am not sure we should be so quick to dismiss. I feel like we look back at some of the greats and build them up to be more than they were. The game is so different now then it was then. Ever watched a Classic NHL game on the NHL network, I have tried and the hockey is awful. The skill is terrible. The players of today face much more skill parity then Gretzky or Lemieux did.

# 22 Pezell04x @ 08/08/11 03:15 PM
This is what irritates me about EA.

During the first blog they said that there would be a HUGE announcement that would change the way we play the game. I don't see how the addition of a couple of players does this. In fact, it doesn't change the way we play the game at all. There's nothing amazing about this announcement. Will someone really say "Oh, Gretz is in this game I need to go get it?" Doubtful. If that was the case, that stupid Wii game would've sold a bajillion copies.

If you want to do a big announcement, make it something sustainable. Make it an NHL version of Teambuilder. Make it changes to the skating physics. Make it something other than a handful (****, it's not even a full legends team) of legends that can be used with HUT or BE A GM or BE A PRO.

I'm sick of EA coming to us and saying "Look at how new and shiny this is!" when it comes to features that's already been in the game before. OH WOW GOALIE FIGHTS (already done in NHL 06). OH WOW, BROKEN GLASS (already done [again] in NHL 06! It's a tired strategy from this company that they do with a lot of their franchise (outside of FIFA, which seems to be innovative every year) and we eat it up every year.

You know what would be a refreshing announcement? Announcing they got the arenas, uniforms, goalie masks, equipment and ice correct. That would blow my ****ing mind since I've been looking at arenas w/ SD screens where they should have HD screens. How about that? How about the SC Finals patches we were promised a year or so ago? How about playoffs beards? NHL 2K10 was able to implement playoff beards and although they didn't look amazing, it was worth the shot. Also, gather the rights to the TD Garden so I don't have to ****ing see "Boston Bruins Arena" for the 100th time in the NHL series.

Sorry for the rant, but this isn't a big announcement. It's a big disappointment.

# 23 murph17 @ 08/08/11 03:35 PM
probably just one "legends" team vs the 20-30 historical teams 2K had back since what...2004?? laaaame.

# 24 Vikes1 @ 08/08/11 03:36 PM
I guess for me too...I'm really not understanding how this will..."Change the way I play the game forever." If this is actually the big announcement, yep...I'm a bit confused.

Maybe when they release all the info about this feature, it may be more clear to me. But as of right now, I'm thinking having legends in the game will be cool, but more of just something I'd fart around with in just Play now games. Ie...yeah, was hoping for something that would affect me personally. [GM mode]

Of course no offence meant to anyone else...but I doubt I'd ever use a Legends team in BEAGM.

# 25 TerminallyOdd @ 08/08/11 03:50 PM
I guess I'm one of the only one who is excited about this news...I play a ton of offline versus with friends, including a league we formed with drafts and trades, so this is going to be pretty cool.

# 26 ericromain @ 08/08/11 04:21 PM
It's definitely gretzky in the oilers uniform. The player has a wooden Titan stick.

# 27 Fiddy @ 08/08/11 04:25 PM
I cant wait to see all these legends with generic faces lol.

# 28 Vikes1 @ 08/08/11 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
I have no issue with adding legends to the game. However its neither gamechanging or the greatest thing since sliced bread and it better have an "OFF" option.
I have to agree with ya RealmK.

I guess I still have some doubts if this legends addition is really the HUGE announcement they've had us waiting for, all these weeks. Yeah, it's a cool feature. But like you said, and I share your opinion...not really a game changer, or something imo, that warranted all the hype.

So I guess I'm still holding out hope that the big announcement is still yet to come.

# 29 BrightFuture @ 08/08/11 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
Ok! I maybe wrong, but I think I understand what they mean now.

From the clip, it's obvious that we will be able to play in as Gretzky (beating Kipper), Howe (giving it to Lucic) and Lemieux (undressing a Bruins defenseman like he did with Ray Bourque many years ago) in the BaP mode. I guess you'll have a team of legends for those who would like to play with all of them in BaGM. Maybe also in cards for the HUT.

Will it change the way we play the game? We'll see. One thing for sure, if you don't tweak the sliders in your favor or glitch like crazy, I don't see no one getting it close to what Gretzky and Lemieux did.

215 points and 92 goals in a season...Would be possible only playing the Leafs and Panthers for 82 games!!

Thats quite an assumption implying that the Panthers will be the worst team in the league this year considering all of the moves they have made. PM me an apology at the end of the season when they finish between 7-10 in the conference. They are a middle of the road team with the best prospects in the NHL. Im sure you know who Bjugstad, Markstrom, Gudbranson, Grimaldi, and Huberdeau are though right?

# 30 BrightFuture @ 08/08/11 04:30 PM
I guess Im the minority but Im looking forward to this. Hopefully we can play seasons of the past with old teams. I would love to play the '94 NHL season again!

They would definitely need an on/off switch for this otherwise it would ruin everyone's beagm experience.

Gamechanging... no. Would I have fun with it... yes.

# 31 tfctillidie @ 08/08/11 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightFuture
Thats quite an assumption implying that the Panthers will be the worst team in the league this year considering all of the moves they have made. PM me an apology at the end of the season when they finish between 7-10 in the conference. They are a middle of the road team with the best prospects in the NHL. Im sure you know who Bjugstad, Markstrom, Gudbranson, Grimaldi, and Huberdeau are though right?
You're drunk. They have a future, a bright one, but it's not 2011-2012. That's called present day and the Panthers aren't ready for it.

# 32 gopher_guy @ 08/08/11 05:02 PM
Quote:
I think Bjugstad will be a stud, all star NHLer. It was a pleasure watching him develop last season, and hopefully he fully blossoms this year!

# 33 Pyroboy829 @ 08/08/11 06:20 PM
maybe its kind of like NBA2k11 and the Jordan Challenges for Shoes?

In 2k11 you completed some of Jordan's greatest games to unlock specific shoes that would give you attribute boosts. Maybe in NHL12 you complete some of Gretzky, Lemieux, etc. greatest games/seasons/careers to unlock EASHL Boosts or the respective HUT cards?

Also look at the achievement list for NHL12 and see all of the achievements tied to Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr

# 34 DJ @ 08/08/11 07:31 PM
Not what I was wanting to read. I'm sure people will enjoy using the legends, but I was really hoping for more Be A GM improvements. It appears outside of the sim engine, that mode is the same. That is disappointing to me.

# 35 d0wntime @ 08/08/11 07:39 PM
i would be annoyed with this announcement if i hadn't expected the "big" announcement to be something as lame as this.

# 36 Trevelyan @ 08/08/11 07:46 PM
I have to say I'm disappointed, but not surprised by this being the big announcement.

There isn't anything wrong with adding this type of mode, but they over hyped it and I think that will lead to people who play NHL mostly for 6v6 left shaking their head. Hopefully next year they add something people actually want like online be a gm, rather than wasting development time on broken glass, and goalie fights.

# 37 jyoung @ 08/08/11 08:26 PM
This is it? Are we sure?

If so, my reaction:

Don't think I will use this feature at all.

# 38 Bolts_26 @ 08/08/11 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I cant wait to see all these legends with generic faces lol.
I really don't think the EA team will use generic faces for the best players in NHL history.

Quote:
Really? You guys overpaid a bunch of depth/boarderline 2nd/3rd line players to hit the cap floor. Sure, the new signings will certainly boost your position in the standings, but you must be smoking some really crazy stuff to think the Panturds are anywhere near playoff bound.

As far as the prospects, sure they have a solid and deep pool but nobody you listed will make an NHL impact this year except for Gudbranson, and there is really no saying how he will do.. being a high-rated prospect does not mean you will have a great rookie year (See:Hedman,Victor). Then again, what does it matter? FLA cannot even retain any of their good players...Olli Jokinen, Nathan Horton, Vokoun, and so many more...

Oh, and it does not help that your starter is nicknamed Jose Three-or-more.

Sincerely,
A Lightning Fan.

# 39 speels @ 08/08/11 09:07 PM
First off, the announcement is great. We will finally have a chance to play with the greats and see how they match up against today's players. And to say that it is not an announcement that is big, let's look at basketball and football. 2K added Jordan and sold more copies than ever before. NFL allowed legends and 2K based an entire game on them.
Now, to be honest, outside of Canada these legends won't seem all that great, but to Canadians over 20, these are the guys we grew up idolizing and it will be great to play with them. I am going to reserve full judgement until I see how they are going to be incorporated, but I am excited. And to say this is the same as the All Canadiens team is garbage, these guys made hockey in North America a great sport, the Canadiens were important in Canada, but if you didn't like Montreal, you didn't like them. The NHL has a tougher time selling "Legends" because there are many "professional" leagues in the world, unlike the NFL and NBA.

I truly believe that the announcement that would change the way you played every mode was the new simulation thing. So I think people are confused that this is THE big announcement.

All that being said, I truly believe that more people are ecited about the game because of Gretzky being in it than TD Garden in Boston.

# 40 BrightFuture @ 08/08/11 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts_26
I really don't think the EA team will use generic faces for the best players in NHL history.

Really? You guys overpaid a bunch of depth/boarderline 2nd/3rd line players to hit the cap floor. Sure, the new signings will certainly boost your position in the standings, but you must be smoking some really crazy stuff to think the Panturds are anywhere near playoff bound.

As far as the prospects, sure they have a solid and deep pool but nobody you listed will make an NHL impact this year except for Gudbranson, and there is really no saying how he will do.. being a high-rated prospect does not mean you will have a great rookie year (See:Hedman,Victor). Then again, what does it matter? FLA cannot even retain any of their good players...Olli Jokinen, Nathan Horton, Vokoun, and so many more...

Oh, and it does not help that your starter is nicknamed Jose Three-or-more.

Sincerely,
A Lightning Fan.

And what did I originally say?? I wrote that Florida was not the worst team in the league. So your agreeing with me??? Great! Welcome aboard lightning fan. BTW, good luck next year without Gagne.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.