Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Sim Citi checks in with this new NBA 2K12 article, going over the removal of the force field that kept offensive players from going out of bounds.

Quote:
To the untrained eye NBA 2K12 may not have that one single gameplay advancement that is overwhelmingly impressive. However, the strength of this years title, could lie in the combined effectiveness of the numerous smaller changes. This polish, and fine tuning, that is usually only accomplished with matured code; can add up to a great gameplay experience.

One of those changes that many may have overlooked is the removal of the force field that kept the offense from going out of bounds.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 iLLosophy @ 09/04/11 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
But if you tried a step back move in those situations you would find yourself out of bounds just like he would.
I think for the first video, he still had decent space to get back to the 3pt line. The 2nd video I agree...but (ignoring the fact he traveled), the concern is can you have room to catch a pass, square up, then drive by your guy, without initiating an animation which causes your foot to touch the line. The Force field (or at least what i perceived to be the force field) was actually pretty good about stopping a lot of those mishaps.

Either way. Let's see how it plays out, i think (hoping) this is an instance where i can't see the forest for the trees, so there might be a lot more at play here.

Once again thanks for the heads up and the feedback Czar

# 42 coolcras7 @ 09/04/11 01:59 PM
Da_Czar any chance they added push out of bounds fouls

# 43 rockchisler @ 09/04/11 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
This all sounds great, but I hope corner threes don't become impossible like they were in some of the other basketball titles of the past.
Corner 3's wont be impossible, corner 3's are usually spot up shots, Let the computer run there and kick it to them, most people that never played bball in there life take 2k and they will turbo dribble to the corner and shoot, very unrealistic..

# 44 CX1329 @ 09/04/11 02:02 PM
On a side note, I'm really glad to hear that player control will be even better than it was in 2K11. That game represented a very large step forward in terms of control, but there were still some infuriating instances of loss of control that resulted in silly turnovers or other otherwise avoidable errors on both offense and defense. It was especially aggravating when it happened on defense, because whilst mistakes on offense just prevent you from scoring, mistakes on defense cause you to get dunked on or allow a three point shot.

For instance, sometimes I'll be trying to guard my man tightly and prevent him from making a three, and the controls will suddenly become awkward as the player I'm controlling goes in some weird direction, thus allowing the opponent to score an easy three. Sometimes, this happens because the momentum mechanics get pretty unpredictable.

# 45 jr2424 @ 09/04/11 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
Corner 3's wont be impossible, corner 3's are usually spot up shots, Let the computer run there and kick it to them, most people that never played bball in there life take 2k and they will turbo dribble to the corner and shoot, very unrealistic..

I agree totally with this. Some people step back with only like a foot of space. Even NBA players would have major problems staying in bounds with that little space. Yes, their court awareness is off the charts, but they still are human. Ray Allen runs the baseline without the ball. You will almost never see him dribble at full speed in one direction then stepback and get both feet behind the line. He's moving without the ball, which is a lot easier than with it.

Czar, this is the kinda stuff I love. Helps the defense, which in video game basketball needs way more attention than offense. Great read.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 46 ZoneBlitz @ 09/04/11 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker
I must say i've played countless of games offline and online (over 300 online) and I never had any kind of problem with stepping over the line, and neither did anyone of the over 300 players I played against. Sure it happens once or twice every few games but that was that. Far from being a problem.

Oh, the only instance where it was a bit wierd was when you were in the corner with a defender in front of you and if u pressed turbo and moved your player, he would go into a running in place animation and always step out of bounds.

I feel that removing the force field will make the users more cautios around the lines as it should be and running near the lines aint much of a problem when u get used to it. It's true it might be hard with some of the cameras though.
I agree. I think this makes the game far more realistic, will help to reduce cheesing and forces us to think more carefully about how we play the game and be more thoughtful.

Good job 2k.

# 47 ZoneBlitz @ 09/04/11 02:45 PM
Czar,

Do you know ifmthis impacts the fast break? I am concerned that this will be yet another item the engine uses to cheat you out of th fast break against the CPU on All-Star and above.

By the way, can we run a fast break against the CPU on all All-Star and above without the computer overriding your controls, making the defense get back super fast, forcing you into errant passes, etc...?

# 48 syncinatti @ 09/04/11 02:50 PM
Again thanx to Da Czar for your clarity on our inquiries. A very frustrating aspect of defense I saw in 2k11 was the lack of charging calls when the defender was in position. Sometimes even if I beat the ball handler to the paint, hold the charge button (B on xbox) and wait for him to barrel into me. I still get called for blocking. This occurs to both me and the cpu when if it also attempts to draw a charge (even with the slider at 100). Now with the out of bounds force field gone and corner or baseline trapping more effective, what happens if the ball handler tries to force his way thru the trap? A blocking foul every time? In other words IS THE CHARGING GLITCH FIXED?

# 49 NINJAK2 @ 09/04/11 02:58 PM
Daczar? Do defenders still have the ability to force ballhandlers to pick up their dribble? I hope that has not been taken away..

# 50 tommyboii2008 @ 09/04/11 03:00 PM
Im lovin it..

# 51 rockchisler @ 09/04/11 03:05 PM
"Side note" I cant post on his blog, It says Im not allowed to, Any help would be great..I am signed up on it.

# 52 infam0us @ 09/04/11 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Daczar? Do defenders still have the ability to force ballhandlers to pick up their dribble? I hope that has not been taken away..
I don't see why they would remove it, if the guy you are guarding is a sub par ball handler and you force him into a difficult spot they should pick up their dribble and look to pass. Eliminating the out of bound force field is great for defending the baseline but if you cant force the offensive player to pick up his dribble your left with a huge portion of court where the offensive players can do whatever they want. It just doesn't make sense to remove that from the game, 2k would be taking multiple steps backwards defensively.

# 53 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
Da_Czar any chance they added push out of bounds fouls
I can't recall. I didn't have a lot of interaction with driving sideline / baseline. I remember getting fouled a few times on shot attempts but I know that doesn't really answer your question.

# 54 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz
Czar,

Do you know ifmthis impacts the fast break? I am concerned that this will be yet another item the engine uses to cheat you out of th fast break against the CPU on All-Star and above.

By the way, can we run a fast break against the CPU on all All-Star and above without the computer overriding your controls, making the defense get back super fast, forcing you into errant passes, etc...?
I didn't go any higher than all star and that was plenty tuff enough but with more playtime who knows if all star will be enough. To your question I had turnover fastbreaks and so did the cpu on All star with no problems that I was aware of.

You can be caught by faster players though and a lot of that can depend on how long you wait to initiate your layup also. You will be more worried about turnovers as the cpu pushes hard at least the Heat did that I remember on any turnovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncinatti
Again thanx to Da Czar for your clarity on our inquiries. A very frustrating aspect of defense I saw in 2k11 was the lack of charging calls when the defender was in position. Sometimes even if I beat the ball handler to the paint, hold the charge button (B on xbox) and wait for him to barrel into me. I still get called for blocking. This occurs to both me and the cpu when if it also attempts to draw a charge (even with the slider at 100). Now with the out of bounds force field gone and corner or baseline trapping more effective, what happens if the ball handler tries to force his way thru the trap? A blocking foul every time? In other words IS THE CHARGING GLITCH FIXED?
I did see some correctly called charging calls. They were still tweaking that when I left. Last year it was definitely broken and that was the feedback I gave them. Wether it is enough we will have to see but I did see them called. I agree with you last year was turrible.

Quote:
Good question. I felt it was happening too much early in the process but it seemed to be at a good place just before I left. So that it depends on the ballhander ratings vs the defensive players ratings and situation of course. Better ballhandlers should pick up less than poor ones varied but defensive ratings and skill.

Under the hood.. stuff that I can't talk about... 2k is SUPER DEEP !!! I have a greater appreciation for how they get resolutions.

# 55 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
"Side note" I cant post on his blog, It says Im not allowed to, Any help would be great..I am signed up on it.
Rock I have a permanent cheddar block on my site. If you even eat a piece of cheese before posting my spam filters go to WORK !!!

Nah I check my setting to make sure I didn't click anything to prevent posting and it looks clear.

# 56 ClevelandinDistress @ 09/04/11 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Rock I have a permanent cheddar block on my site. If you even eat a piece of cheese before posting my spam filters go to WORK !!!

Nah I check my setting to make sure I didn't click anything to prevent posting and it looks clear.
Hahahahah! Oh man

# 57 NINJAK2 @ 09/04/11 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
I don't see why they would remove it, if the guy you are guarding is a sub par ball handler and you force him into a difficult spot they should pick up their dribble and look to pass. Eliminating the out of bound force field is great for defending the baseline but if you cant force the offensive player to pick up his dribble your left with a huge portion of court where the offensive players can do whatever they want. It just doesn't make sense to remove that from the game, 2k would be taking multiple steps backwards defensively.
Infamous- With all the complaints on bumping/contact in 2k11 I thought they might try to severely cut those opportunities/animations out of the game.

DaCzar- Thanks for answering my question. It's good to know as defenders we will be able to still cause that action.

# 58 infam0us @ 09/04/11 05:03 PM
Quote:
Infamous- With all the complaints on bumping/contact in 2k11 I thought they might try to severely cut those opportunities/animations out of the game.

DaCzar- Thanks for answering my question. It's good to know as defenders we will be able to still cause that action.
Ah, I see now.

I didn't mind some of the bumping except that at times the bumping should of been called a blocking foul but all it did was allow the defense to recover when they were beat to the spot. The animation where you get bumped and your guy gets fouled and loses control of the ball needs to go. Either call it a foul or find a better method for you to turn it over do recklessness which sounds like they did when they talked about how if you try to force your way in to the paint you may dribble the ball off someone.

# 59 da ThRONe @ 09/04/11 05:09 PM
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
Ah, I see now.

I didn't mind some of the bumping except that at times the bumping should of been called a blocking foul but all it did was allow the defense to recover when they were beat to the spot. The animation where you get bumped and your guy gets fouled and loses control of the ball needs to go. Either call it a foul or find a better method for you to turn it over do recklessness which sounds like they did when they talked about how if you try to force your way in to the paint you may dribble the ball off someone.
Hopefully they'll add a rating/tendency that controls how well certain players keep their dribbles some guys like Nash are stellar at keep their dribble. I can settle with it being linked to handles, but that isn't always the case. My biggest gripe about CP3 is he picks up his dribble too early when along the baseline or when trapped and nobodies going to question his handles.

# 60 Nokstar @ 09/04/11 05:10 PM
my worry about this is how small the corners are for side 3's. If the dimensions are not right theres no way u can keep from going out of bounds when u want to shoot 3's from the corners. If its super thin like it has been in previous games, nobody will shoot 3's from the corner which is very common in nba games.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.