Home
NFL Rivals News Post

NFL Rivals, a new NFL licensed version of Natural Motion's hard-hitting Backbreaker franchise, launched today on the Android and iPhone platforms for $2.99.

Coinciding with the sport's real kickoff, NFL Rivals offers a unique scheduling feature that pits teams against their real-life opponent for that particular week. Playing as the Tennessee Titans in week one? Expect to face an onslaught of men in teal running roughshod through Jacksonville's stadium thanks to NFL Rivals' GameDay feature.

NFL Rivals is no simple reskin of past Backbreaker mobile games. Natural Motion CEO Torsten Reil assures fans of the series that, "all the content in NFL Rivals is new, from Waves to Challenges to social features."

Other social features include a 32-team online leaderboard that keeps track of which NFL team is scoring the most points globally.

So whether you're a veteran of Backbreaker's previous cellphone outings, or entering the franchise as a rookie, NFL Rivals looks ready to improve upon Backbreaker's mobile user base of seven million players.

Here's a lengthy gameplay clip:

Game: NFL RivalsReader Score: Vote Now
Platform: Android / iPhone / WirelessVotes for game: 0 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 StL_RamZ @ 09/08/11 01:30 PM
Glad to see a NFL game without a EA sports logo...

For Natural motion games...it's a start!

# 2 PRAY IV M3RCY @ 09/08/11 02:15 PM
yes definetly refreshing to see something other than madden with the nfl logo..but natural motion as a long way to go until they can make a complete football game

# 3 TheGhostAPC @ 09/08/11 03:20 PM
Got it, time to be addicted for two months.

# 4 FroznYogurt @ 09/08/11 03:53 PM
Can someone explain how Natural Motion got to use the NFL license?

# 5 Blzer @ 09/08/11 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FroznYogurt
Can someone explain how Natural Motion got to use the NFL license?
Apparently, the license doesn't apply to mobile devices.

# 6 mestevo @ 09/08/11 04:14 PM
Gameloft has released a NFL title on mobile devices the last couple years as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n2ExN1cOMw

# 7 TreyIM2 @ 09/08/11 04:49 PM
Well, I hope this one works. Bb2 gives a validation error after a while.

# 8 ezio @ 09/08/11 06:03 PM
Sweet getting it now on the ipod

# 9 mestevo @ 09/09/11 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Playing as the Tennessee Titans in week one? Expect to face an onslaught of men in teal running roughshod through Jacksonville's stadium...
Thought maybe there were different stadiums in this, but from the Kotaku overview:

Quote:
You will play in one of the stadiums from Backbreaker, not a real NFL arena, but they still feature NFL branding and billboards. It won't necessarily be a generic arena, either. I played Chargers at Patriots in the Backbreaker Philadelphia stadium.

# 10 Blzer @ 09/10/11 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Thought maybe there were different stadiums in this, but from the Kotaku overview:
Definitely not new stadiums. With all of the screens I've seen, they've just been the same ol', same ol'.

# 11 youALREADYknow @ 09/13/11 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Apparently, the license doesn't apply to mobile devices.
If true, then it sounds like there's nothing stopping another publisher from making an iPad or Android game. We can already enable Bluetooth game controllers on both of those devices.

I'd venture a guess that the graphics, processing power, and memory requirements for mobile devices will exceed the current generation of consoles before we see the NFL license on consoles expire.

Seems we may have the first sign of how the EA monopoly will cease to exist.

# 12 mestevo @ 09/13/11 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
Man, if Sony could release an NFL Gameday for its Xperia Play...using the gameplay/controls from Gameday 98....that'd be soooooooo coooool.

but I don't think they want to mess with their relationship with EA.
I'd think would be more of a ROI problem, might only be thousands of football fans with that specific phone.

# 13 mestevo @ 09/13/11 03:14 AM
The titles Sony is making/porting to the Xperia Play are exclusive to the device I believe. ROI becomes a bigger issue when you involve licenses like the NFL and NFLPA. The other titles that have taken that shot are available on everything, which is why I made that comment.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.