Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

According to Kotaku's Owen Good, NBA 2K12 Legends will not be available online.

Quote:
None of the 34 teams unlockable in "NBA's Greatest" will be available for online multiplayer modes. There had been some confusion, even hope that they would, as earlier reports suggested that once a team is unlocked from "NBA's Greatest" it is available across all modes of play. 2K Sports just confirmed for me all the modes in which these teams can be used, and online multiplayer isn't one of them.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 madmax17 @ 09/18/11 07:36 AM
Don't care personally.

As far as any logical reasons why it's not in.. well there aren't any good reasons, maybe conflicts with the filters and the 3-point line for ex. what if the 60's Celtics play the 93 Magic would you use the black&white and would there be a 3-point line. Of course maybe they could have added all these options for you to choose before game but didn't have time.

# 62 13thjoker @ 09/18/11 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax17
Don't care personally.

As far as any logical reasons why it's not in.. well there aren't any good reasons, maybe conflicts with the filters and the 3-point line for ex. what if the 60's Celtics play the 93 Magic would you use the black&white and would there be a 3-point line. Of course maybe they could have added all these options for you to choose before game but didn't have time.
This makes a bit of sense.

# 63 Gramps91 @ 09/18/11 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flips House
No brainiac...as I said, I play online...so obviously I don't play with Legend teams at all. As it looks will be the case yet again this year, sadly. And thanks for the life lesson on boredom....let me teach you something about reading comprehension: if you don't understand what is being said, don't make assumptions. I said I still passionately play 2K11...do you? I would imagine the difference is people get bored with playing against the CPU after awhile. I know I do...but playing against human opponents keeps the game fresh.
I wasn't looking for an argument friend. i was making a friendly suggestion. To be honest I haven't played 2k11 in a few weeks, but mainly that's because I'm pacing myself for 2k12. I played 2k11 passionately for much of the year though. I would play 1 maybe 2 full games a night. sometimes I wouldn't even get to play as I am in college and have a lot of homework. I played a lot of my player at first until they patched it and fixing cpu trading in association mode. the association was pretty much all I played. There is a lot more to the game than just online play. I understand you like it, but try my player, try association. Those kept me busy well into May. That's oct-may. quite a bit of gameplay. Considering I got SVR 11 for christmas which is another title I spent quite a long time with. But once may rolled around I wanted some newer games so I went and bought Dragon age and Civilization 4 and played those for a while. but would still play 2k11 3 or 4 times a week, up until very recently so yea 2k11 kept my passion year-round. My point is though online isn't everything. you say that's all you play but I suggest try some other modes out. Association is where 2k has always shined and my player looks very promising this year. and if at some point you get bored go get another sports game, I mean 2k11 is amazing but there are other games out there. try MLB the show. I just picked up MLB 10 a few weeks ago and find that game fantastic. I only made the assumption that you play a whole lot of 2k because you said you play 20 games a week. That seems like a whole lot in my book. Like I said before I wasn't looking for a smar*ss response. I was making a friendly suggestion and still hope it remains that way. not looking for an arugment.

# 64 Pared @ 09/18/11 09:38 AM
Quote:
Don't care personally.

Now someone is thinking.

# 65 Knickerbocker @ 09/18/11 09:40 AM
Quote:
Don't care personally.

Well I imagine the teams will be available in classic head to head on a single console, so I really don't see why it would be any different online.

# 66 Meldlm @ 09/18/11 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Now someone is thinking.
Thinking, yes. Thinking it thru? No.

Those same problems will exist in an offline matchup of those same two teams. I'm betting all the fancy video filters and special rules will only apply from within the Greatest mode.

Once unlocked, if you take a team from the 60's into an exhibition game I'm betting it looks and plays like a 2010 NBA game, no matter the team's era.

# 67 RedSceptile @ 09/18/11 09:49 AM
I think the main problem is a lack of complete rosters for all the legends teams.

# 68 Pared @ 09/18/11 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldlm
Thinking, yes. Thinking it thru? No.

Those same problems will exist in an offline matchup of those same two teams. I'm betting all the fancy video filters and special rules will only apply from within the Greatest mode.

Once unlocked, if you take a team from the 60's into an exhibition game I'm betting it looks and plays like a 2010 NBA game, no matter the team's era.
And considering the online component is always a unique entity, ever consider you need to implement, test and execute two different online modes to encapsulate all these filters?

You realize that we are talking about twice the work, in addition to the online additions unique to this year?

I'm sure some would think having a classics team free for all online is great now. But again, they're not thinking it through, despite what you claim.

I should add I am not happy with the decision - but time only allows so much. A lot of you forget that.

# 69 scottyp180 @ 09/18/11 10:31 AM
I don't play online but this doesn't make sense to me, didn't they allow you to use classic teams last year? IMO a lot of the classic teams aren't even over powering compared to teams of today, in fact I think they could make for a lot of good match-ups so I can't see the reasoning being that the classic teams would be unfair. Hopefully 2k will give an explanation this week, if not change their decision.

# 70 coolcras7 @ 09/18/11 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
And considering the online component is always a unique entity, ever consider you need to implement, test and execute two different online modes to encapsulate all these filters?

You realize that we are talking about twice the work, in addition to the online additions unique to this year?

I'm sure some would think having a classics team free for all online is great now. But again, they're not thinking it through, despite what you claim.

I should add I am not happy with the decision - but time only allows so much. A lot of you forget that.
It's is always funny how everyone not involved in creating a game always have the solutions to a problem, and it's always simple we want it so it shall be. People made their desires clear last year that they wanted to play with classic teams online, after all the fan suggested improvements 2k added this year do people really think they just decided not to have this feature online, the fact is online has never been 2k strong point so why not just assume that they had issues getting that function to work they way they needed it to online, why must it be cut and dry with some people.

# 71 gabri3l3 @ 09/18/11 10:42 AM
not a big problem for me... but a major letdown for who's really interested in legends

# 72 aloncho11 @ 09/18/11 10:51 AM
It is true that online has not been 2K's forte, and making these teams available online may add to the problem instead of making it better.

I'm sure the 2K team had this in mind, but the technical fallibility of actually implementing it may have be the main reason of the classic teams being dropped for online.

# 73 Josephlaker123 @ 09/18/11 10:57 AM
proly cuz only three or four teams whould be almost unstopabble and whould be used ALL THE TIME 87 lakers 86 celtics 90-98 bulls and either the rockets or magic

# 74 Knickerbocker @ 09/18/11 10:59 AM
Oh come on with all this techincal problems BS. Truth is noone knows why they didn't include them (I'm still waiting for an official confirmation by 2k).

And it's really not difficult to include more teams in the custom game team selection, one doesn't have to be a tech wiz to understand that. No need for extended testing periods.

Fifa for example expands the number of teams available each year and it has never been a problem to implement them online and we are talking about 200 teams here not 34.

# 75 Ikki @ 09/18/11 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldlm
Inexcusable.

Not wanting them in ranked games I completely get. Not allowing them in private matchups and in private Team-up modes I completely DON'T get.

There goes my main motivating factor for purchasing this...
Ditto, deal-breaker for me.

# 76 coolcras7 @ 09/18/11 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker
Oh come on with all this techincal problems BS. Truth is noone knows why they didn't include them (I'm still waiting for an official confirmation by 2k).

And it's really not difficult to include more teams in the custom game team selection, one doesn't have to be a tech wiz to understand that. No need for extended testing periods.

Fifa for example expands the number of teams available each year and it has never been a problem to implement them online and we are talking about 200 teams here not 34.
SO tell us o great one why it is not in included and how 2k can fix the issues that you know nothing about.

# 77 Knickerbocker @ 09/18/11 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
SO tell us o great one why it is not in included and how 2k can fix the issues that you know nothing about.
No need for the sarcasm I believe. And as I said in the post you quoted noone knows why they were omitted. I still hope the news is bogus though and will continue to hope so until 2k tells us that we are indeed unable to play with the legends online.

# 78 STLRams @ 09/18/11 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
no biggie...guess I will just invite friends over to play classic match ups

Exactly, I would have more fun playing offline against my friends at my house with the classic teams then playing online, with possible lag, cheesing, etc.

# 79 aloncho11 @ 09/18/11 11:23 AM
Quote:

Again, you answered the technology issue yourself. EA's Fifa servers are not the same as 2K's NBA ones.

# 80 coolcras7 @ 09/18/11 11:25 AM
Quote:
No need for the sarcasm I believe. And as I said in the post you quoted noone knows why they were omitted. I still hope the news is bogus though and will continue to hope so until 2k tells us that we are indeed unable to play with the legends online.
But you said it is not difficult to add custom teams to online, so I just assumed you are a game developers and knew what you were talking about.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.