Home
NHL 12 News Post

Biggest First Week in Franchise History; Up 19 Percent Year Over Year

Franchise to Expand to Facebook Next Month with NHL Superstars

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – September 20, 2011 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced the record-breaking launch of NHL® 12. Based on internal estimates, NHL® 12 had its biggest launch week in franchise history with more than $27 million generated at retail worldwide. First week unit sales of NHL® 12 were up 19 percent across Europe and North America. The game launched Sept. 9 in Europe and Sept. 13 in North America.

EA SPORTS™ also announced that the NHL franchise will be expanding with NHL® Superstars*, a free-to-play social game on Facebook®. NHL Superstars will bring an all-new NHL experience to millions of hockey fans by enabling players to build and manage their ultimate team of professional hockey players. With dynamic and accessible gameplay, fans can compete head-to-head in games against their Facebook friends from around the world. NHL Superstars will be available in early October.

“The fan response to NHL 12 has been incredible, and we’re delighted to expand the franchise to Facebook next month,” said Andrew Wilson, Executive Vice President, EA SPORTS. “NHL 12 is our most exciting hockey game ever, with more than 300 gameplay improvements and the ability to play with some of the NHL’s greatest legends.”

Among the additional notable accomplishments for NHL® 12 since its launch on September 13 in North America and September 9 in Europe:

• NHL® 12 sold through more than 451,000 copies at retail worldwide in its first week.
• Fans logged more than 6.9 million online connected game sessions last week (Sept. 13-19), which marks the most online games played in one week in franchise history and 17 percent more than last year’s opening week.
• Each day last week, an average of 86 total hours of online gameplay of NHL® 12 were played by fans – the equivalent of more than 70 full NHL seasons of action every single day.
• NHL 12 has earned 17 review scores of 90 or better around the world, including a perfect mark from Gaming Age who said “NHL fans need to buy NHL 12 if only to play the best representation of the sport ever created.” GameTrailers proclaimed that “NHL 12 refuses to say that amazing is good enough,” while Game Informer raves “NHL 12 is strongest where it counts – on the ice.”

NHL® 12 authentically captures hockey as it is played on the ice with more than 300 gameplay refinements highlighted by three key innovations: Anticipation AI, Dynamic Goalies and the Full Contact Physics Engine. Anticipation AI takes NHL 12 to the next level as players will now intuitively determine their next move by reading and anticipating the play. With the Full Contact Physics Engine, size and strength matter. NHL12 continues to innovate by giving you true to life collisions and control over the battles around the crease. With Dynamic Goalies, goalies are live for the first time ever. Players can make contact with goalies as they crash the crease and goalies will battle through traffic in front of the net as they fight through screens to make awe-inspiring saves.

New in NHL® 12 is the introduction of legends; nine former NHL greats – including Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, and Mario Lemieux – will be integrated into the game across virtually every mode, including the all-new Be A Legend Mode. Be the next great legend in the revamped Be A Pro mode. Play as your created pro and earn every shift on the ice with stellar play, big hits, and spectacular goals as you progress towards greatness.

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 mkharsh33 @ 09/22/11 09:12 AM
hopefully they can use some of that income to get people working on the OFFLINE aspect of the game. people are purchasing, and that's half the battle. maybe they can also spend a few dollars on some new commentary lines as well.

but good to hear that this game is rising...i also believe it's due to the excitement of the NHL itself. i'm enjoying this game, but have NOT dug into any of the game modes yet. i'm hopeful that the BAGM i'll eventually start won't be given up on within a matter of a couple-three weeks.

# 22 Vikes1 @ 09/22/11 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
hopefully they can use some of that income to get people working on the OFFLINE aspect of the game. people are purchasing, and that's half the battle. maybe they can also spend a few dollars on some new commentary lines as well.
I'd sure like to see this too.

They did make some effort to up the commentary by mentioning the records of the two teams playing in GM mode. That's a nice little touch. Along with the mentioning of point/scoring streaks, etc... Every little bit helps. But I sure agree Mk...the overall presentation package is really in need of an overhaul.

I can't help but to think about how awesome NHL '12' would have been if the presentation would have been blown out.

# 23 Vikes1 @ 09/22/11 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceteris Paribus
It would be nice, but seriously, the presentation of every EA Sports title pretty much blows. If they can't get Madden to a professional level, then they are not going to spring for the NHL series.

If presentation mattered to the bottom line, 2K would be ruling the sports video game world instead of relying on one title for all of their profits.

After playing NBA 2K11, I was really hoping we'd get another hockey title from these guys. But I never thought for a minute that EA would suddenly figure out competent presentation for the NHL series.

At some point, we just have to accept companies for what they are. Be happy if an exception comes up. But if you spend the next year pining for better presentation for NHL 13, you are going to be really, really disappointed.
I would certainly agree Ceteris, that it does seem as though EA Sports doesn't truly focus on having revolutionary presentation in their sports games. But ya know, maybe like some others...imo, it's not like the presentation in NHL is bad, but rather just getting stale.

I would have to also agree that it is most likely, that for the rest of this gen, EAC will continue to add presentation elements bit by bit.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.