Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

NBA 2K12 Legendary Teams will be playable online, via DLC.

Greatest stars in NBA history compete in:
  • 2 vs. 2 Teammate Challenge
  • 3 vs. 3 Era Challenge
  • Even 21, H.O.R.S.E. and more
  • You pick the match-ups and rules
  • Play online with the Legendary Teams from NBA's Greatest
  • Import your My Player - can you compete?
  • Set in NYC's iconic Times Square
Thanks SSchevyRidah!

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 iLLosophy @ 09/26/11 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
Precisely. Marketing has been horrible this year. Might overall lead to more sales, but perhaps not more fans from this community.
How is letting leaked footage run rampant bad marketing? If anything it's letting the community do the work for them.

# 22 eko718 @ 09/26/11 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
How is letting leaked footage run rampant bad marketing? If anything it's letting the community do the work for them.
You misunderstood my post.

# 23 Giammajo @ 09/26/11 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker
Which part of this sentence makes you think that? "Play online with the legendary teams from NBAs greatest!"
Yea I saw that line, but in context of the whole "showcase" screen I don't think it explicitly implies that we can use the teams in ranked or even unranked games. "Set in NYC's iconic Times Square" doesn't leave much room for games that take place in arenas, and there is no mention of 5v5 anywhere. It might just be 2v2 or 3v3 from those legends teams on the blacktop.

I hope I'm wrong! But even if we can use the full legend teams in a 5 on 5 game, it seems like we can only do it on this times square court, against other legendary teams.

# 24 MrBigShot1 @ 09/26/11 02:43 PM
I hope it's free. We all pay the full price of the game, no need to milk the community. They will get plenty of sales, just like 2k11, possibly more with the lockout looming.

If not, garbage decision on 2k's part. HOPEFULLY, it is free and they just didn't have ample disc space.

# 25 SdotThaDon @ 09/26/11 02:47 PM
Never know, EA learned from Wang and maybe Wang picked up a few tricks from EA as well. Hope not though, not really into paying extra for things already on disk. To some of these companies dlc stands for download locked content.

# 26 basketballfreak24 @ 09/26/11 02:49 PM
oh well. i guess this is as close as we get to using legends in unranked or ranked games. seems like the controls video is never coming and so much for the online association insight. i didnt preorder 2k but i plan to get it but im sure about to lose focus from the 2k hype machine when battlefield 3 online demo comes out thursday.

# 27 basehead617 @ 09/26/11 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballfreak24
oh well. i guess this is as close as we get to using legends in unranked or ranked games. seems like the controls video is never coming and so much for the online association insight. i didnt preorder 2k but i plan to get it but im sure about to lose focus from the 2k hype machine when battlefield 3 online demo comes out thursday.
Uhm, the game doesn't come out for another week.

There are other insights coming.

What's with people having this weird notion that all the insights finish up weeks before the release?

# 28 SdotThaDon @ 09/26/11 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik
You think this is just a thing that EA only do? Please. 2K got wise. They know a lot of their customers would walk on hot coals for them, so why not make 'em?
No not at all, but I've been an EA customer since the early 90's all the way to the present. You know like I know EA been nickel and diming us for years now, they're not the only ones but they are the best at it.

# 29 myownsun @ 09/26/11 02:59 PM
I would never play a mode like this even it were free, but I would buy it just to support 2k.

# 30 basehead617 @ 09/26/11 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SdotThaDon
No not at all, but I've been an EA customer since the early 90's all the way to the present' You know like I know EA been nickel and diming us for years now, they're not the only ones but they are the best at it.
Why is it nickel and diming to release a downloadable fun add-on product for additional $?

Unlike microtransactions in a lot of other games, you don't gain any advantage over others by getting it.. and it's not something they crippled out of the regular game that they're now forcing you to pay for..

Its another product that's not as big a deal as the main game and they'll probably charge very little for it..

# 31 Giammajo @ 09/26/11 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzleman
I don't see why some of you would even think that we won't be able to play a exhibition match, I'm pretty sure we can because it wouldn't even make sense for us to be able to play 2v2 and 3v3 but not a regular 5v5 which I'm pretty sure 2k knows that that is the main thing we want to do.
Appreciate the optimism and I hope your right. I'm simply not convinced from that one screenshot. I'll hold off until an official announcement before getting to excited.

Quote:
You think this is just a thing that EA only do? Please. 2K got wise. They know a lot of their customers would walk on hot coals for them, so why not make 'em?
No reason to bash 2k from this one picture. We have no idea whether this mode was too big to fit on the retail disk, how much it will cost, or the specifics of the mode. I'd wait until we have all the information before saying 2k is making us walk on hot coals.

# 32 SdotThaDon @ 09/26/11 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617
Why is it nickel and diming to release a downloadable fun add-on product for additional $?

Unlike microtransactions in a lot of other games, you don't gain any advantage over others by getting it.. and it's not something they crippled out of the regular game that they're now forcing you to pay for..

Its another product that's not as big a deal as the main game and they'll probably charge very little for it..
In EA's case look on the marketplace or psn and you'll see what I mean. This is not to the same extreme, just a little different from what we've come to expect from 2k. I'm trying to withhold judgement until I hear the whole story. But to me dlc is not a 10mb file meant to unlock stuff on a disk I've already payed for.

# 33 Knickerbocker @ 09/26/11 03:13 PM
Quote:
How is saying 2K making their customers walk on hot coals, bashing them? I'm applauding them for the shrewdness. Last week we hear that Legends won't be playable online, which sparks an outcry from the 2K community so 2K respond by giving the customers what they desperately want, at a price. Pure marketing genius.
... Noone said that there was a price. I for one trust 2k. They seem to operate in another way from other companies, that is building an adoring fan base and giving out free DLC to me just sounds like a 2K thing. Maybe I'm an idealist or maybe I'm just "in love" with 2K but we will see.

# 34 OhioBobcats @ 09/26/11 03:19 PM
It all makes sense to me. Simply put, this is 2K's way of still being able to stick it to EA even when they are not making a sim game.

"Oh, EA is only going to make a DLC NBA Jam game? We'll do a DLC too with somewhat similar features as an add on so we get the sim and the arcade money!"

# 35 SdotThaDon @ 09/26/11 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker
... Noone said that there was a price. I for one trust 2k. They seem to operate in another way from other companies, that is building an adoring fan base and giving out free DLC to me just sounds like a 2K thing. Maybe I'm an idealist or maybe I'm just "in love" with 2K but we will see.
Let's hope you're right. They are the only game in town now for the 2nd year, just hope they handle it right.

# 36 NINJAK2 @ 09/26/11 03:27 PM
It wasn't cheap for 2k to get all those damn legends/retired ballers in the game. I doubt the likes of Magic, Bird, Ewing, Shaq, etc. were only willing to sign on for just a free copy of the game. 2k has to get that money back anyway they can. If you don't want to use legends online don't download or pay for it. I paid for the NBA Combine in 2k10, and the Onslaught mode in BFBC2..I don't see the big deal if they charge.

# 37 RedSceptile @ 09/26/11 03:30 PM
I honestly wouldn't be upset if 2K made you pay to use this online, they've been consistent in their quality and if they feel the need to strengthen their profit margins I don't blame them.

As previously stated it's shrewd marketing, you release 2K11 on a market with no other NBA game and add on to your fan base from casuals who just want to ball with Jordan and whatnot. Now you've pretty much got a market that will be free of an NBA game for another fiscal year, why not take this opportunity to maximum income? Any smart person would do it, as long as they keep up a consistent level of quality I don't blame them.

# 38 Giammajo @ 09/26/11 03:33 PM
Quote:
How is saying 2K making their customers walk on hot coals, bashing them? I'm applauding them for the shrewdness. Last week we hear that Legends won't be playable online, which sparks an outcry from the 2K community so 2K respond by giving the customers what they desperately want, at a price. Pure marketing genius.
Sure, If you only look at it from a business/profit perspective then charging for DLC like this is a home run for 2k... But applauding them for their shrewdness??

Following the 2k12 development process has proven that 2k is anything but shrewd. NO competition, an enormous fan base, coming off of one of the greatest sports games ever made.... a shrewd company could have tinkered with the rosters and called it a day. 2k took input from the community (this community), brought in the Czar for help with branching plays / development decisions, seemingly addressed every single issue we found with 2k11, and found the time to create a whole new mode highlighting the games all time greats in great detail.

# 39 Knickerbocker @ 09/26/11 03:34 PM
Quote:
Awww, ain't that cute...
Hehe, well we will see who is right soon. Cynism won't get you far though mate.

# 40 eko718 @ 09/26/11 03:36 PM
Hold on a second... "Play online with Legendary teams from NBA's Greatest"? Seems like we can use the actual classic teams from that wording. I thought it was just 2 on 2 and 3 on 3 blacktop. Niiice....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.